• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen News Discussion Thread [use the threads in forum for new things]

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue

gucci
Years
  • Just came home and found the scans, they look awesome! A poison type gym leader and a water type gym leader is great, speculating what their team could be shall be fun and 300 Pokemon in the Pokedex should also be interesting, by the looks of things Eevee, Mareep, Psyduck, Riolu & Metagross are 5 new entries into the Unova dex. Also that new town looks great I'm suddenly much more eager for these games and the protagonists look great. In conclusion it's kind of like a whole new game apart from the fact that it's set in the same region but I'm positive that there's going to be a whole new storyline.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Just came home and found the scans, they look awesome! A poison type gym leader and a water type gym leader is great, speculating what their team could be shall be fun and 300 Pokemon in the Pokedex should also be interesting, by the looks of things Eevee, Mareep, Psyduck, Riolu & Metagross are 5 new entries into the Unova dex. Also that new town looks great I'm suddenly much more eager for these games and the protagonists look great.
    Right now we have 32 new entries I posted the list earlier.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • This may be a touch speculative, but does the involvement of old pokemon perhaps make the idea of prevo/evos that we were all hoping for going into the fifth generation possible in the sequels? For example, we know for certain Eevee's going to be there so, maybe they'll surprise us with some more eeveelutions. Maybe I'm just being hopeful.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2023
    I like all the new stuff, but what bothers me is that it's still the same as B/W, same gameplay, etc. I hope new Phenomenons are added to the game, new movesets, and new competitive moves.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    This may be a touch speculative, but does the involvement of old pokemon perhaps make the idea of prevo/evos that we were all hoping for going into the fifth generation possible in the sequels? For example, we know for certain Eevee's going to be there so, maybe they'll surprise us with some more eeveelutions. Maybe I'm just being hopeful.

I was thinking that too, but if they were to announce new Pokemon, wouldn't it have been in this issue of CoroCoro? :x

cseip

Pokemaster
    Years
  • these games already look amazing. i cant wait until they come out. im so glad they are adding older pokemon into the sequels. does anyone know if the starters are going to be the same or if they will change them to older pokemon maybe?

Humm96

Fly little Mockingjay!
    Years
  • Yeah its the same Unova starters, there's a Serperior in both screen shots of black and white Kyurem and there's a picture of Tepig, Oshawott and Snivy in the top corner of one of the pages, shame really, i dont like the Unova starters but hey, Ill just replace it with something better :)
    Looks really good however 300 added to the Unova Pokedex or is it now a total of 300 meaning only 150 Pokemon have been added, either way that's a big Pokedex but still, if 300 have been added surely they cant all be old right? There has to be one or two new ones if they've added 300 because that's quite a lot. Maybe they've discovered a new species of Pokemon near the new towns?
    And another thing, does anyone else think that the new Proffesor looks a little shifty? All other Proffesors research something that needs researching, hes looking at strength? Maybe an under cover plazma agent?
    I WANT MORE! Hurry up Saturday!

Chary

Yeah-Hah!
    Years
  • So far, so good. Loving the idea of new gyms. Not a fan of the new prof though, I don't think he fits with the order of the others.
    Pokedex, Eggs, Habitats, Evolution, Origin, and....Strength?

Everything else is amazing though, so psyched for Saturday!

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • So far, so good. Loving the idea of new gyms. Not a fan of the new prof though, I don't think he fits with the order of the others.
    Pokedex, Eggs, Habitats, Evolution, Origin, and....Strength?

Everything else is amazing though, so psyched for Saturday!

Well, so far it's just speculation that he may possibly be the new professor. According to Serebii's translation he sounds like anything but that, though.
    It's possible gamefreak is trying to cater to the competitive battling side of Pokemon after they've seen how many people dove into the whole EV/IV/Breeding thing. I just hope they don't overdo it as most companies do when they realize there's a chance to build on competitive play in their games.
    Hell, I kinda think they already have to be honest, but that's my opinion.

I'm starting to think he won't be the professor though. Perhaps since you're near a school in this game you'll be sent out on your journey by a teacher rather than a professor this time.
    That'd be a neat twist; being sent out with a Pokedex to learn rather than gather information that's already been programmed into the Pokedex somehow.

blue

gucci
    Years

• I was thinking that too, but if they were to announce new Pokemon, wouldn't it have been in this issue of CoroCoro? :x

True but they can only dish out a certain amount of information each time in order to keep the audience interested, there may be a purpose for Eevee being in the Pokédex or it may just be because it's one of the many generic Pokémon to be added.

Also, I was studying the scan with the images of B/W Kyurem and if you notice where the image with the starters is, above those 3 starters are 3 other Pokémon, Mareep, Buneary & Psyduck.. now why would they appear here in the image with the starters, that could be something to think about.
    And again a couple of other things to speculate about, tied in with White Kyurem is Zoroark & Metagross and with Black Kyurem is Haxorus and Lucario. Finally, that image left of the water gym leader looks like some sort of water tunnel and the character you're labelling as the potential new professor kinda looks like Cilan.
    Gotta add that I love the look of the starting town on the left page.

CoroCoro_May_2012_BW2_3.png

Last edited:

Joshawott

Banned
    Years
  • Well, I just seen the leaked scans from CoroCoro and just thought I'd share my thoughts here with everybody. This post may be rather lengthy, and you can find out why by clicking here.

The first thing I'd like to address is all of the new characters. To my surprise, I actually love their designs! I especially love the addition of two new gym leaders and how unique they look. Perhaps there will be more than eight gyms this time around? I like the way the male player and rival look, but their hair... not so much. That being said, I don't think I'll ever grow tired of seeing their overworld sprites. It's also kind of a relief to know the female player is still sexy. :P

Now it's time for the story elements. I find the concept of Unova being half frozen kind of neat. Come to think of it, that's actually kind of reminiscent of the way Sinnoh looked in Platinum. I absolutely love how for the first time in the main series, players get to start off in a city as opposed to a town. Other things I thought were pretty interesting were the underwater tunnels and what appears to be some sort of an island (I have an obsession for tropical areas). Based on what I've seen of the "new" Unova, its geographical landscapes look simply incredible!

Last but certainly not least (this was easily my favourite part of the reveal) is the addition of retro Pokémon. Somehow I didn't see it coming, but I'm just delighted it is! Oh, and the PokéDex having 300 Pokémon? Jiminy jumping Jesus! That's insane! By far the largest amount any main-game PokéDex has had to date.

I was very pleased with what CoroCoro revealed today, and so the long road of avoiding spoilers until North American launch begins. I encourage you all to do the same as it makes the experience much more enjoyable.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Ooh! I didn't even realise that it's the largest Pokedex, why 300 specifically though? Ah well I'm adamant for Saturday's gameplay now!

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    Shucks, you know I can't stay away from spoilers. I'd have to go internet-free until fall, no way in hell that's happening.

It's possible gamefreak is trying to cater to the competitive battling side of Pokemon after they've seen how many people dove into the whole EV/IV/Breeding thing. I just hope they don't overdo it as most companies do when they realize there's a chance to build on competitive play in their games.

Oh maaaaaan I really hope they don't sacrifice gameplay for competitive metagaming. I mean I doubt they will but if they do this, ALL OF MY RAGE.

I dislike the metagame, and only play pokemon for the main game.

I mean, Sinnoh was already annoying enough with the constant shoehorning of wifi stuff like the pal pad, vs recorder, gts, etc etc etc.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    I was very pleased with what CoroCoro revealed today, and so the long road of avoiding spoilers until North American launch begins. I encourage you all to do the same as it makes the experience much more enjoyable.

I totally agree.

This news is exactly what I wanted to hear! Old gen Pokémon, new locations, new characters - just great! The player characters look good (the rival I'm not so sure about), and I like the look of those screenshots! I'm going to have to shift my mind back in to Zelda mode to stop myself from looking up spoilers now!

blue

gucci
    Years
  • This is such an improvement from the usual Third game move, they have really stepped up their game this time and considering I was disappointed when I first heard about these games, that has now completely changed as I'm now excited for them! Kudos Game Freak.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Does the water Gym Leader remind anyone else of Finnick Odair?

Anyway, now I can't wait for footage on Pokemon Smash! :D

He has a tan line! The water Gym Leader. Lol I thought he was black for a second there.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    This is such an improvement from the usual Third game move, they have really stepped up their game this time and considering I was disappointed when I first heard about these games, that has now completely changed as I'm now excited for them! Kudos Game Freak.
    Agreed, agreed. I am in love with the new protagonists. & I'm so glad GameFreak didn't troll us and gave us this. The girl is my favorite, and there's less to complain about with her clothing (all of you shorts haters).

The extended parts of Unova is another thing we wanted and received. This all makes me pleased and also very excited for the news to keep coming. I'm actually quite liking the designs of the new Gym Leaders better than the originals as well. I wonder what Pokémon they will have. ESPECIALLY NOW THAT WE HAVE OLDER POKEMON BACK. YES.

I am so hyped up for these games. I already can't wait, when more juicy news haven't even been told yet. I can't avoid spoilers for two reasons, I'm a moderator of this forum and I need to keep up to date with y'all, and I actually tend to enjoy Pokémon games less when I don't know anything about them really (see - HGSS which I've never completed nor GSC).

What I'm still anticipating to see is N and the storyline. Oh lord, N. I have a feeling these games are going to be really good.

OMG. So the first impression the professor gave me was mysterious and unknown. To me he looked suspicious really. If you study his clothes behind the coat, he looks like he could be for Team Plasma. o_O

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2021
    Apparently the professor's name "Akumora" means evil. The "Aku" part means evil, and "roma" means devil man. So I'd say that pretty much solidifies the fact that he'll be an antagonist and will be doing something evil.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Apparently the professor's name "Akumora" means evil. The "Aku" part means evil, and "roma" means devil man. So I'd say that pretty much solidifies the fact that he'll be an antagonist and will be doing something evil.

One of the members on my Pokemon site agrees just because the Prof looks evil to him.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back