• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    I don't really nickname my Pokemon often. But I did nickname them while playing Pokemon Black to ensure they had English names.. XD

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I just got into nicknames earlier this year.
    My soulsilver team:
    Meganium--Ziggy (idk, it just felt like a good name)
    Snorlax--Akamunchy. It was the baby of my old snorlax I got like 3 years ago and it too was named akamunchy, so I kept the name for this one.
    Umbreon--Yomm, again I just felt like it would fit for my umbrie. Sounds sophisticated to me. :D
    Charizard--Embzo, just too Ember and changed it a little.

My platinum team w/ nicknames:
    Torterra--Fern, go figure.
    Luxray--N'kari, I took some Japanese word (can't remember) and added an n before it.
    Floatzel--Mizu'u, okay went overboard w/ the ', but I think his name is of swahili origin, I can't remember right now. Actually the apostrophe in Mizu'u and N'kari's name comes from Swahili. By that I mean I had just gotten into Swahili when I restarted platinum and thought the ng'ong'ya was cool so I replicated it with my pokemon.

Scizor--SCZ, obvious right there.

Years
  • I've nicknamed a few of my Pokemon (usually from the beginning of a game), but mostly just anagrams from their original name (Rayquaza -> Aquarayz). I've also nicknamed some for one reason or another, but generally most of my Pokemon remain without one.

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
  • Dang it, Wasen! You beat me to starting a nickname thread. Well, maybe we can work this topic in with the general discussion of nicknames:

What are the funniest nicknames you've come up with for your Pokémon? Please include any background info on your inspiration!

My favorite I recently named is a female Gyarados I named "Tyra". Why, you ask? Have you ever seen Tyra Banks blow up at someone on TV? Exact same face :P

As for more serious names, I have several:
    Aloric - My workhorse Alakazam for most of the game. I just like the name.
    Lumeno - A shiny Alakazam I caught myself as an Abra. I started with the word "Lumen" which means "Light". I thought it seemed apt.
    Zuse - Metagross. Since the 'dex says they're like supercomputers, I named it after a pioneering model of computer.
    Khash - Garchomp. It just seemed like an appropriate name for him.
    Trip - Castform. Get it? He has a TRIP-le form like water at it's triple point (solid - ice, liquid - water, gas - I'm saying the "sunny" form is steam). I know, I know...nerdy and lame.

Last edited:

dragonite149

I am not male
    Years
  • I nickname most of my pokemon. The ones I don't nickname come from the 'walker, and I'll never use them, so they don't get a new nickname. However there are some 'walker pokemon I nickname. Murkrow, ponyta and Magby got nicknames because I was gonna use them, instead of just letting htme hang about in a box.

BTW, Brendino, I LOLed at your Rayquaza nickname. It seems more like a name for Gyarados!

aguinn99

Im a firin mah lazor
    Years
  • I nicknamed my piplup pip. it was cute, but when it evolved into an empolean it sounded dumb

Years
  • I generally name my Pokemon only if play Dragon-type...it not depends of kind of Pokemon (Dratini, Bagon, Seadra etc.) but name them Smok, Smoczek (dragon in Polish), Dragon, ****n...but only if I have an impression to do it...more often I named the character I play in very strange way :D

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • I try to give my pokes epic nicknames that suit them.
    Espeon: Psycho- one of my less epic nicknames, but oh well.
    Poliwrath: Terrowrath- Because he unleashes a terrible wrath.
    Garchomp: Draco- well.... if you don't get it, you are stupid.
    Roserade: Aroma- It's female, it's majestic, and it's a flower, so there.
    Magmortar: Bazooka- Don't tell me that arm he holds up in his platinum sprite doesn't look like a bazooka
    Honchkrow: Couldn't get a nickname, caught it on SS and traded it to platinum, forgot to nickname it on SS.

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
  • Alright folks, I want to give a nickname to a legendary: My modest Latios. I'm really leaning towards a Top Gun reference with either Iceman or Maverick. Thoughts?

xPsychosocial

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
    Years
  • Nicknaming Pokemon isn't usually something I tend to do, although certain Pokémon has given me some ideas for nicknames in the past. If I do nickname them they usually have their Japanese name, other foreign names or just some random ones that pop into my head.

Years
  • I nickname most of my pokémon. At least those that I will be sure to use (my team always has 6 nicknamed pokémon). Although I don't nickname legendaries. Because there is supposed to be only one of them.

I just give them a name that matches their behaviour, habitat, looks, typing, whatever. :) Something that's catchy and fits them. It adds to the fun and feel.

zlip

______
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    if i do name my pokemon its after real life myths/monsters

Silmeria

Years
  • I only nickname Pokemon I use to battle on WiFi...I like having themed teams, e.g. I've got a Gyarados called "Lagiacrus" on my Monster Hunter themed team. I put quite a bit of effort into them actually - the name has to be right for the Pokemon, and the team has to balance as well. As a result, I don't have very many themed teams. xD

Otherwise, I just have an overwhelming compulsion to name every Spiritomb "Espiritus" and every Piplup "Pingu" for some reason.

Shiny Gardevoir

I huntz shiniez
    Years
  • Shiny Gardevoir -Psyche, I had a male gardevoir named Psico once, it was my favorite... Let's say she's the female version...
    Shiny Blaziken - Flare, was gonna name him Blaze, but seems like many other people named theirs that...
    Meganium - Megan, need I say more?
    Togekiss -Seira, just felt like it :P
    Umbreon - Blitz, named after my Flareon in Crystal... Which in turn was named after a Djinn in Golden Sun...

Rossay

Quack quack
    Years
  • I used to nickname pokemon but I ran out of names pretty quickly... I prefer to just keep their original names now

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    I'd never nickname my pokemon. I like to stick to their original name. xD
    I'll nickname my pokemon if the nickname came from the manga, though.

Last edited:

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
    Years
  • I almost always nickname my Pokemon, including the legendaries. A lot of the names are fairly uninspired or silly though.

For example, my current FR team:
    Frank 2.0 the Gloom (in my last game, had a Gloom named Frank)
    Shoe the Raichu (Chinpokomon)
    Not Chane the Kadabra (I wanted to name it Chane, while an onlooking friend said "Not Chane!")
    Donatello the Blastoise (TMNT)
    McFeldspar the Graveler (originally just Feldspar)
    Butts the Pidgeot (Super Effective)

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
  • I always give my starter Pokémon nicknames. There is the odd time where I give another Pokémon a nickname, but it's really usually just the starters.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back