• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoWood

貴族のキケロ
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 27, 2012
    Nintendo DS
    Video game giant Nintendo, facing increased competition in the market for handheld entertainment, will have a new portable out this fall with twin color screens, sharper graphics and the feel of a PDA. The Nintendo DS ? short for dual-screen ? will be unveiled Tuesday morning at the annual Electronic Entertainment Expo game industry gathering.

The DS will sell alongside today's Game Boy Advance, not replace it, according to the company. Nintendo has not announced a release date or price, though analysts predict it may sell in the $150 range . . [FROM VROAD]

---------------

So this new system, Nintendo DS(Dual Screen) I heard has been created to outrule the PSP(Play Station Portable). Being the superior Nintendo fan I am, I will be buying Nintendo DS. Although I hear PSP might be better. It has the complatibility to play movies & games, and it has the graphics of PS2.

READ THIS 4 MORE INFO

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Woah! Where have you been? We've known about the DS since January I believe, but we've just seen it last month. And I knew the specs for it about a month prior to that.

Nintendo DS, Nintendo Revolution, Game Boy Evolution <- The three forces in all their glory! The Triforce! The one company to rule them all.

BladeForever

[-+= Black Knight =+-]
    Years
    Meh im getting sick of getting handheld systems for Nintendo.. now there is also a PSP on it's way.. I doubt I will get that either.. But I must say they do look good, and I've seen a preview of some boy playing the DS it looks promising, but I wont blow away my money on it. I dont think it's worth the money to carry around something that has graphics and such like a DreamCast.. (as much as I like Nintendo.. no more handheld systems for me)

~Blade~

aaaaaa

Eh..seems like more of a novelty, from the vids I've seen.
    The PSP on the other hand... ^_^

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    BladeForever said:
    Meh im getting sick of getting handheld systems for Nintendo.. now there is also a PSP on it's way.. I doubt I will get that either.. But I must say they do look good, and I've seen a preview of some boy playing the DS it looks promising, but I wont blow away my money on it. I dont think it's worth the money to carry around something that has graphics and such like a DreamCast.. (as much as I like Nintendo.. no more handheld systems for me)

~Blade~
    Will you be buying anymore consoles then?

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    The concept of handhelds themselves doesn?t really appeal to me?I play most GBA games at home as if I was playing a console anyways. Now if any of these systems has titles I want, then yeah maybe I?ll get them?but ATM the PSP and DS are kinda ehh? for me.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    I know there will be games for the DS that I want (Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon come to mind), and maybe some for the PSP, but I think I will get the DS first if I get the PSP at all. I trust Nintendo's handheld capabilities. Also if what I heard is true, the PSP will cost more than an X-Box at launch -_-

John Denver

Banned
    Years
    The best RPG's are on the GBA though...meh meh meh. Actually, I heard that PSP might run for FAR more than DS does, upwards of $350!!! Shikes! And the fact that DS has more developers, more opening games, and is coming out a few months before the PSP means Sony has a hard uphill battle ahead of it...

BOO ya!

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    Dakota said:
    The best RPG's are on the GBA though...meh meh meh. Actually, I heard that PSP might run for FAR more than DS does, upwards of $350!!! Shikes! And the fact that DS has more developers, more opening games, and is coming out a few months before the PSP means Sony has a hard uphill battle ahead of it...

BOO ya!
    Upwards of $350? I've heard that it will be about $500 (and Sony refuses to comment on that price remark...)...

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    Yo, that pricing is just horrific man. I ain't paying 500 bucks for a portable system...even IF FF7 (as in IF and only if, but not necessarily will) is a game for that platform.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    Handheld systems are getting more and more advanced. You can even watch cartoons with those new thingys that came out. Sooner or later, we'll be watching TV with out GBAs...or TV-GBA...whatever. DVDs, listening to MP3s, radio, so on. 1000 bucks?

TechieT

The Techie Master
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 26, 2006
    I'm probably going to get this instead of the PSP. Reasons why are the fact that you can
    talk to people without paying phone charges, has wireless multiplayer (take that N-Gage!), is probably going to be cheaper than the PSP, and I don't have to worry about breaking my UMD.

The problem with it is that it looks like a kids-toy. It needs a better looK!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    ^ The look may be slightly redesigned. As they are changing the touch screen because at E3 they realized it wouldn't last long after seeing the Sonic game. And they probably redesign the system, not because of the looks, which is basically a big AGS, but because it's hard to use the touch screen unless it on a flat surface.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Look for my anti-DS rants in some older DS topics...all I'll say for now is that the PSP is going to simultaneously bury itself and the DS, and we're going to be left with nothing, and here's how: the PSP is going to cost $350...by the time it's out, you'd be able to buy a Gamecube, PS2, and an Xbox for that much. What I'm saying is, it's out of the reach of the normal consumer...only the gaming elite will be able to afford it, therefore sales will be too slow for sony to tolerate, and they'll discontinue it. The PSP will also be the end of the DS because no one will buy the DS in fear that it's going to fail at the hands of the PSP...there will be no confidence in such a radical new product versus confidence in a sony remake of the gameboy and the DS will die out in a situation similar to that of the virtual boy...so when these two begin competing, nobody wins.

aaaaaa

I'm sure when Sony created the Walkman, people thought the same things.
    Too expensive, too fragile, I could buy *XXX for at home for the same price*, it'll never take off.
    And look what happened. It singlehandedly created the personal audio concept.
    Without Sony, and the Walkman, there would be no iPod.
    Just some food for thought.

At anyrate, the DS just seems to be a bunch of useless gimmicks designed to sell a system without any decent games.
    I'll pay the premium and pick up a PSP when it comes out.
    Because Sony have raw marketing power, and what they create, succeeds
    Plus, I want Advent Children, which is being released as an UMD-Only movie.
    :D

Oh, and Gamespot Analysts are saying a $249USD price for the PSP Unit, with a $30USD price for software.
    Which doesn't sound too bad to me.

Last edited:

jj984jj

Elite Beat Fansubber
    Years
    Chairman Kaga said:
    Look for my anti-DS rants in some older DS topics...all I'll say for now is that the PSP is going to simultaneously bury itself and the DS, and we're going to be left with nothing, and here's how: the PSP is going to cost $350...by the time it's out, you'd be able to buy a Gamecube, PS2, and an Xbox for that much. What I'm saying is, it's out of the reach of the normal consumer...only the gaming elite will be able to afford it, therefore sales will be too slow for sony to tolerate, and they'll discontinue it. The PSP will also be the end of the DS because no one will buy the DS in fear that it's going to fail at the hands of the PSP...there will be no confidence in such a radical new product versus confidence in a sony remake of the gameboy and the DS will die out in a situation similar to that of the virtual boy...so when these two begin competing, nobody wins.
    But.... The thing is people are intrigued over the DS according to many polls across the web. And with games like Silent Hill and other non-GC games, it's surely to captivate some more interest. I believe people will buy the DS through plain curiosity and probably end up liking it too if Nintendo can get the 3rd party support it needs and not rely on just their own. They are even going after X-Box Exclusive 3rd parties which of course is an extremely smart thing to do as well. Also, the PSP cannot bring this DS down right away since the DS is coming out before X-Mas, while the PSP will be out sometime early next year.

a1337a said:
    I'm sure when Sony created the Walkman, people thought the same things.
    Too expensive, too fragile, I could buy *XXX for at home for the same price*, it'll never take off.
    And look what happened. It singlehandedly created the personal audio concept.
    Without Sony, and the Walkman, there would be no iPod.
    Just some food for thought.

At anyrate, the DS just seems to be a bunch of useless gimmicks designed to sell a system without any decent games.
    I'll pay the premium and pick up a PSP when it comes out.
    Because Sony have raw marketing power, and what they create, succeeds
    Plus, I want Advent Children, which is being released as an UMD-Only movie.
    :D

Oh, and Gamespot Analysts are saying a $249USD price for the PSP Unit, with a $30USD price for software.
    Which doesn't sound too bad to me.
    It's also being released on DVD... don't lie like that, and with only 2 hours of battery life for movies, why would you want to watch it on there anyway? And the price still isn't 100% from either Nintendo for the DS or Sony for the PSP, I think if Sony does that Nintendo might lower the launch price of the DS as well.

aaaaaa

Step carefully, boy, and don't accuse me of lying.
    Seriously. It annoys the beejesus out've me.
    Because unlike you, I'm not a fanboi/girl.
    I own consoles with good games, and I don't have any allegience.
    But I also work in a games shop, and I know who's marketing department is more pro-active when selling new products.
    And thus, I know who I trust.

Firstly, we all know it's getting a UMD release.
    But on one of the PSP Demonstration Vids I picked up from Gamespot Insider, there was a quite specific quote saying that it would be one of the first "UMD Exclusive" titles.
    It's two an half hours battery life for movies, but when are you going to be out of the house long enough to watch a two and a half hour movie? You're driving interstate? Then hook it up to the cigarette lighter for power. You want to watch it at home? Get the AC adapter.

You're right, the price isn't confirmed from either companies, so don't make the darn assumption that Nintendo would just lower their launch price if Sony's were lower.
    Though, what'll happen undoubtably is that both companies will release at a price that either covers their costs plus a little profit, or a price that loses them money on the system but that they reap back on software sales.

Note, Sony still turns a profit on their consoles.
    Nintendo doesn't.
    Which might mean a cheaper DS, but if the software doesn't catch on, it's gonna sink like the Titanic.
    Just to put things in perspective.

jj984jj

Elite Beat Fansubber
    Years
    Maybe they said that because it'll be launched for the PSP before the DVD comes out.... but Square Enix wouldn't be so stupid as to just release it on DVD in Japan and not DVD here as well as it'll make a huge hole in their profits.... not EVERY FF fan has about $300-$350 to dish out for a PSP and a UMD.

JoWood

貴族のキケロ
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 27, 2012
    The prices of these handhelds won't be lowered. The top of line and made by top gaming producers. I assure you the Nintendo DS and PSP will sell for more than $150.

Why is everyone complaining about price. World demand is going up like crazy and the growing population aint helpin.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back