• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo is Falling Apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2005
    KuraCottum said:
    Nintendo isn't falling apart! Playstation is o_0 and Xbox and Bill Gates are just feeding off that. ._.

Ummm, do you have any clue of what you're talking about? Like any slight clue?

Arcanine said:
    Big whoop, another crazy Sony move by still letting people in Europe wait for the PSP. You know when it comes out? September 1, a good 9 months after it came out in the US. People in Europe wants the PSP, they are having it imported from the US and Japan. But you know what Sony does? They put a stop to importing PSPs. You can read about it here.
    Yet again Sony stands still and lets Nintendo walk all over them. Nintendo done got 1,000,000 units from Europe, that's another 1 Mill more units sold then Sony's PSP.

Thanks Captain Obvious. IMO, Sony is playing the waiting game.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I merged the How Nintendo Can Improve thread in here. Their along the same lines, I think.
    Brittant said:
    What Nintendo needs to do is rehash what they're successful with, not make knockoffs of them. Examples? Super Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion. When word first came around about these games, what do you think gamers were dreaming of? I don't know about you, but I am convinced that they were thinking about Super Mario 64 all over again, and that's not what they were given.
    Super Mario 64 never came to my mind when I heard of Luigi's Mansion. We had technical demo of it when the GCN was unveiled. Did that video remind you of Super Mario 64? O_o All I ever thought of was that Luigi was finally getting his own game (aside from Mario is Missing). With Super Mario 64 and Sunshine I didn't feel that either really lived up to the Mario name, although I do think 64 did a better job of keeping with Mario tradition than Sunshine did. I wouldn't call Sunshine a knockoff though. Generally speaking Nintendo tends to make a great game, and then a sequel that isn't so well received and then an even better game than the original (ex... LoZ > AoL > ALttP or SMB. > SMB. 2 (USA) > SMB. 3). Sunshine was umm...well...different. I found it to be more difficult than 64 was, I probably would've liked it more than 64 if it was actually Mario-ish (where's my Goombas, Koopa Troopas, Lakitus, Monty Moles, Buzzy Beetles, etc). Both 64 and Sunshine suffered from one main thing that the Mario series is probably noted for, the power ups. Getting bigger, shooting fire, turning into animals, better swimming abilities, flying, invincibility, etc. Gone (except for flying). The power ups could be seen as gimmicks in the context that the power up hats in 64 and the upgradeable FLUDD in Sunshine were gimmicks that served as power up replacements. I like 64 more than Sunshine, but I wouldn't call Sunshine a knockoff. What I'd call knockoffs are all those darn Mario sports games.
    And what's up with Donkey Konga? Another knockoff- but this time packaged with an innovation that doesn't really step up to the plate in the average gamer's eyes.
    These types of games were Nintendo's foundation, which they have almost destroyed this time around. This, along with the lack of 3rd party support gave them nearly nothing to stand on.
    Yes, Donkey Konga I'd call a knockoff/spin off, but it's still enjoyable. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat I've heard (I haven't played it, although I almost bought it today. I chose not just on the fact that I won't have any other reason to use the Bongos since I don't want to play Donkey Konga) is a lot of fun and addictive to play. It's not really true to the Donkey Kong Country series (which in turn wasn't really true to the Donkey Kong series) but it is still highly enjoyable. I wouldn't want rehashes at all. I wouldn't want something that is so incredibly similar to the original that it would even be considered a rehash. Where all these sequels are lacking are that they aren't revolutionary. The N64 gave lots of revolutionary games, they were fresh and they were exciting. Not too much has changed this generation and I would infact call a lot of the sequels now rehashes, because they aren't revolutionary, but rather evolutionary and they don't give us the same refreshing excitement because we've played these games before. Things are often imitated, but rarely duplicated, which is why when rereleases come out they are still tons of fun even by todays standards (case in point, Super Mario 64 DS). I've kinda jumped all over the page now haven't I. I, in no way think that Nintendo's games this generation were spectacular, and I've had a lot more fun with my N64, but I don't want to play rehashes because that i what we're getting now (in addition to knockoffs and spin offs). And these games while not as great as the originals, are still pretty good compared to other titles.

John Denver

Banned
    Years
    We can all just admit that neither system is as good is/has/or will do as good as the Gameboy franchise, which...still leads everything >_>...

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Dilos Ekans said:
    Ummm, do you have any clue of what you're talking about? Like any slight clue?

My post on the 9th page said:
    Dilos Ekans I'm not even going to reply to your post. Because if I do it's just going to go around and around. But I did have the reply typed up in a PM, so if you really want to read it I'll send it to you.
    I think it's best if we not reply to each other's posts. Since then always end with us fighting.

Now if you want to get back into this fighting game then go on. You'll be the one that starts it, not me. Because I don't want to reply to your posts because we'll just end up fighting.

D said:
    We can all just admit that neither system is as good is/has/or will do as good as the Gameboy franchise, which...still leads everything >_>...
    Good point, Nintendo's GamBoy line does really really well.

BigBoss

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2007
    Arcanine said:
    If the DS came out after christmas and I knew it do you know what I would do? I would ask for money, no new games, no new clothes (but I get them anyway XD) just cold hard cash. I would take that money and save up for the DS. Now if anyone wanting a PSP really really bad would have done this or saved up for the system (it's 5 months till the XBox 360 comes out, if I wanted it I would start saving right now).
    Yes the DS made a great gift and boosted the sells around Christmas. But if someone really really wanted the PSP they would have went "Don't get me anything right now, just wait till March and you can get me the PSP".

Most people don't check gaming magizines, so nobody would know about the PSP yet.

Arcanine said:
    You should care what goes on there. They make the Sony and Nintendo systems, they make a lot (more like most) of the games for Nintendo and Sony.
    And by looking at your avy you're a Legend of Zelda fan. Guess what, the guy who makes LoZ games is Japanese.

Of course I knew that. I'm not stupid, ya know XD I just don't care how much sales go on around there, after all, I don't live there. Nintendo still has respect around there, so I can expect more Nintendo around there. Nintendodogs, for example. BIG hit in japan, but where I live North America, It seems like nobody will care for it, because the North American gaming culture has obviously grown up on tending for puppies. I think Nintendo is falling apart in North America, and that is most likey a huge part of Nintendo's money source. (I'm judging this by population) To me, Japan is just a small part that I don't care much on how many sales go on there.

Arcanine said:
    And the US and Japan isn't the only two countries selling a lot of DS systems. Europe is pulling in a lot of money for Nintendo on DS systems.
    https://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/29/news_6128324.html

PSP is not out in Europe yet. It has no compition absolutly whatsoever.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    BigBoss said:
    Most people don't check gaming magizines, so nobody would know about the PSP yet.
    No one needs gaming magizines. They got the internet. Check Sony's site, any large message baord, any gaming site and you would see something on the PSP.

BigBoss said:
    Of course I knew that. I'm not stupid, ya know XD I just don't care how much sales go on around there, after all, I don't live there. Nintendo still has respect around there, so I can expect more Nintendo around there. Nintendodogs, for example. BIG hit in japan, but where I live North America, It seems like nobody will care for it, because the North American gaming culture has obviously grown up on tending for puppies. I think Nintendo is falling apart in North America, and that is most likey a huge part of Nintendo's money source. (I'm judging this by population)
    No need to tell me about what goes on in the US. I've lived here all my life. XD
    I don't see them falling apart. The DS is selling really good as well as the DS games. GBA's are still selling and GBA games are still selling as good as ever. Pokemon Emerald was the number 1 selling game in May
    "1.) GBA - POKEMON EMERALD - Nintendo - $30,236,960 | 882,579"
    (for the full 15 game list go to PPN.com).
    GC's and GC's games are still selling.
    Nintendo sold almost as many systems as Microsoft's X-Box.
    Nintendo is not falling apart in North America.

BigBoss said:
    To me, Japan is just a small part that I don't care much on how many sales go on there.
    Japan sells more systems then the US. In both Nintendo and Sony's systems. They are not a "small part" they are a large part to Nintendo's income (Japan then the US then Europe).

BigBoss said:
    PSP is not out in Europe yet. It has no compition absolutly whatsoever.
    I didn't say anything about the PSP in that little part. I just stated that the DS is selling a lot of systems.
    Compition or not, the DS still sold 1 Mil in Europe.

Ninja

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2005
    I'm still wondering what you guys are talking about. The entire time I was mostly talking about how the GameCube was loosing it's Nintendo factor. While you guys are fussing over the DS and the PSP.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Dilos Ekans said:
    I'm still wondering what you guys are talking about. The entire time I was mostly talking about how the GameCube was loosing it's Nintendo factor. While you guys are fussing over the DS and the PSP.
    We've had enough threads purely on the NDS and PSP in the past, plus this thread's focus doesn't need to be entirely on the Gamecube, does it?

ArKiVe

Back In Black
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Oct 30, 2006
    Just to say, Nintendo isnt going away. With the new console they are releasing they are sure to bring in some new fans and their loyal buyers to get it. It's gonna be competition out there when it's released though, most likely tons of wars are gonna arise about which console is better or whos maker is better. For now to me they are all netural till the PSX or PS3, XBOX 360, and Nintendo Revolution are all out on the market.

Dark Penguin

[Insert text here]
    Years
    Dilos Ekans said:
    what waiting game? waiting until everyone in Europe has a DS before realeasing the PSP? unless they're waiting for Christmas, it is a bad move. Sony has themselves to blame for letting the DS sales squash them, even though the PSPis obvioulsy a more advanced system.

BigBoss

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2007
    Arcanine said:
    No one needs gaming magizines. They got the internet. Check Sony's site, any large message baord, any gaming site and you would see something on the PSP.

Actually, most casual gamers don't even check the internet. They rely on commiercials and signs at a game store. Have the people I know who play games still think the Xbox 360 is still Xbox 2. Not only that I heard some kids talking about "The PS3 is coming out in November" XD See, most casual gamers have no idea what is going on at the gaming market.

Arcanine said:
    No need to tell me about what goes on in the US. I've lived here all my life. XD
    I don't see them falling apart. The DS is selling really good as well as the DS games. GBA's are still selling and GBA games are still selling as good as ever. Pokemon Emerald was the number 1 selling game in May
    "1.) GBA - POKEMON EMERALD - Nintendo - $30,236,960 | 882,579"
    (for the full 15 game list go to PPN.com).
    GC's and GC's games are still selling.
    Nintendo sold almost as many systems as Microsoft's X-Box.
    Nintendo is not falling apart in North America.

Not falling apart, but slowly on ther way down. Sad to say, Nintendo has lost alot of respect, most I know who had a GCN is either selling it, or has sold it. I think Pokemon is one of Nintendo's strongest stands, because it always makes it to the top ten best selling games every year. but it has gone from first,to fifth, and lower, but very slowly. Mario Cart Double Dash is the only Mario game that has made it up recently (2004)

Arcanine said:
    Japan sells more systems then the US. In both Nintendo and Sony's systems. They are not a "small part" they are a large part to Nintendo's income (Japan then the US then Europe).

I still don't care what goes on around there. XD I really would'nt have no idea if Japan sold more systems than the US. As I said, I was judging by population.

Arcanine said:
    I didn't say anything about the PSP in that little part. I just stated that the DS is selling a lot of systems.
    Compition or not, the DS still sold 1 Mil in Europe.

Doesnt compition matter a whole lot? Nintendo coulda made the DS a whole lot better, building in the wifi, making the graphics better, but they decided to realease it fast and score a head start. A very smart move on that part.
    They scored extra cash, espically in Europe. If the PSP was out then, it woulda been a diffrent story, trust me.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I believe that too.

I got to Engadget and Joystiq to get the latest news =3 Along with IGN.

John Denver

Banned
    Years
    Big Boss, you can't just be the spokesman for every casual gamer in the world. Plenty of Gamers do rely on the internet, and others on commercials. How do you know what people rely on?

Big Boss, Nintendo isn't dwindling, it isn't even losing. It makes more money off videogames than Microsoft and Sony combined...Microsoft loses over hundred dollars for each X-box it sells. Sony loses about 60 dollars for each system it sells. Nintendo loses only about 9 dollars for each system it sells.

Even though we love the videogame business, it is still a business. Sometimes, making the biggest, best, flashiest system or game possible isn't the most important thing. That's why Sega fell. Did Sega have great games? Yes! Great system? Yes! Leading in sales? Yes! But guess what, they planned out their resources horribly and ended getting bankrupt. Nintendo is smarter than that, and focuses good games when they need to be and money when it needs to be.

And that my friends, is BOO ya!

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Steeleon said:
    If this is in the wrong place please forgive me.

Ok this all has to do with a little argument me and my cousin had. You see me and my cousin both started out with Nintendo. Except now my cousin has passed on to XBOX. Me, I've come to really enjoy Playstation but I still equally enjoy Nintendo, I'm equal with Nintendo and Sony. Now my cousin says Nintendo is falling apart, but I don't agree. Sure they're not doing as well as they could but they surely are not falling apart. I need some info I can give me cousin to prove to him that Nintendo is no falling apart and they are doing well with what they do.
    ok I have this argument regulary with sony fans @ school

the thing is his p[recious microsoft isnt doing so hotly themselves
    ninty own 12% of the games market
    microsoft owns 13%
    that's 1% more...
    not much at all

so yeah that should work...but you can also say

"you only have good games because you make other stuff like computors and have those extra funds ninty doesent"

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    That was absolute SPAM! Please stop -.-; If you don't have something meaningful to say, don't post...

Ninja

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2005
    Dakota said:
    Big Boss, you can't just be the spokesman for every casual gamer in the world. Plenty of Gamers do rely on the internet, and others on commercials. How do you know what people rely on?

I think boss is right, but he may be only referring to the majority. There are plenty of casual gamers in my area. They have no clue whats going on and I really do think they only know of a game coming out soon if it's a commericial or somthing.

Big Boss, Nintendo isn't dwindling, it isn't even losing. It makes more money off videogames than Microsoft and Sony combined...Microsoft loses over hundred dollars for each X-box it sells. Sony loses about 60 dollars for each system it sells. Nintendo loses only about 9 dollars for each system it sells.

Great way of looking at things. But guess what, Nintendo may be doing great in financial areas, but their console is still losing the console race.
    Even though we love the videogame business, it is still a business. Sometimes, making the biggest, best, flashiest system or game possible isn't the most important thing. That's why Sega fell. Did Sega have great games? Yes! Great system? Yes! Leading in sales? Yes! But guess what, they planned out their resources horribly and ended getting bankrupt. Nintendo is smarter than that, and focuses good games when they need to be and money when it needs to be.

I think Nintendo is terrible for planning release dates on consoles. SNES, came out a bit later than Genesis. N64 lost to the PlayStation in sales due to late release. GameCube is last due to, (IMO) they're release date after the PS2. I think that goes for Xbox too. Now guess what, the Revolution is coming out AFTER the Ps3 and the X360. I think the console department of Nintendo aren't too smart.

And that my friends, is BOO ya!

You don't know how corny that sounded.... :P

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back