• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen No Slot Machines in EU versions of HGSS

Years
  • So same thing in this version as well eh? Did this start with D/P/Pt? or has this happened since the original GB/GBC games? I don't see why they ban the slot machines. Its not like it's anything illegal or bad. Its earning coins for playing pokemon games in the slots. i think They took it too far in Euro by taking them out.

The slot machines worked in Diamond and Pearl and in the GB/GBC/GBA games
    They did in the UK anyway
    I think this is BS
    The slots will probably work in the UK HG/SS

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    The slot machines worked in Diamond and Pearl and in the GB/GBC/GBA games
    They did in the UK anyway
    I think this is BS
    The slots will probably work in the UK HG/SS

By reading the first post and seeing as though the translation says we won't have the Game Slot function working in future UK versions, I'd say more than likely it won't be available in HeartGold and SoulSilver either. It was done in Platinum following the law, and it'll more than likely be done in HeartGold and SoulSilver in EU countries as well. Not to mention all other future games as well, unless the law happens to be altered afterwards. It may be BS to you and many other people though, but it isn't Pokémon's fault that they'll have sell the game without this awesome feature, by basically following the law. Thank goodness the game will still be sold in European coutries rather than discontinued. A person's best bet right now would be to import unless otherwise.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2022
    You guys do realize Nintendo of Europe could simply raise the rating from +3 to +7 to keep the slots in, right?

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    You guys do realize Nintendo of Europe could simply raise the rating from +3 to +7 to keep the slots in, right?

WHY? is it +3 i don't think theres that many pre-k - kindergardeners playing pokemon. and even if there are their parents can look at the game/reveiws and say, this is ok for my child.

Ryuzaki_Lawliet

Arctic Fox Lover =3
    Years
  • Yeah, and plus... if the parents didn't want their kids on the slots then they would just make sure they weren't on the slots. Not that hard here, Nintendo, really. I love the slots and that is about the only reason why I still play FireRed. ^^; I'm so not getting the remakes now!

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    Strange... my crystal didnt had those removed from it (even that the cart is a fake, but the game itself still function very good even today. but i don't play as much anyway. gotta love fake games that function good and battery doesn't die <3 )

Anyway - i don't even play the slots that much. its boring. i'd rather watch naruto.

Too good i imported (or the store imported it) platinum from america. more content for same price ^_^

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
    Years
  • Does this mean that there won´t be any gaming machines like that weird Roulette in Game Corner or that just Slot Machines are removed? : O I think that is really ridiculous if they banned those in European versions. Guess I have to just import American version. XD

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Yeah, and plus... if the parents didn't want their kids on the slots then they would just make sure they weren't on the slots. Not that hard here, Nintendo, really. I love the slots and that is about the only reason why I still play FireRed. ^^; I'm so not getting the remakes now!

I wouldn't give up on getting the game just because there isn't any slot machines available. There is always the option of importing the US version of it, if you want.

So Japan doesn't allow dismemberment in videogames, while Europe won't allow gambling.
    I guess that's a fair trade.

There is basically always some kind of give and take when it comes to games like these. I guess this is just one of them for some.

Does this mean that there won´t be any gaming machines like that weird Roulette in Game Corner or that just Slot Machines are removed? : O I think that is really ridiculous if they banned those in European versions. Guess I have to just import American version. XD

Basically your only option when it comes to the Game Corners is to buy coins to purchase your needed item. They've basically disables the Game Corner features as the passed law in Europe doesn't want influence of gambline to br brought to the people. Sadly, they've taken a small piece of Pokémon that mroe represents an arcade to be more of a gambling influence on us.

Keep up the good attitude though, as importing is always an option for those who can do it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    So same thing in this version as well eh? Did this start with D/P/Pt? or has this happened since the original GB/GBC games? I don't see why they ban the slot machines. Its not like it's anything illegal or bad. Its earning coins for playing pokemon games in the slots. i think They took it too far in Euro by taking them out.

I beg to differ, techncally since the protagonist is underage and most pokemon players are underage then it could be seen as promoting underage gambling which is illegal.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • Seriously, are people that sensitive?

Not only are they banning something very petty and unessential in comparison to the rest of the game, but they're also barring any coin prizes that are available.

GF will either have to make unnecessary changes to the EU version to make this stuff available, or EU players will be without extra TMs and Pokemon.

Oh well. Laws are laws, I guess, no matter how inane they are.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Seriously, are people that sensitive?

Not only are they banning something very petty and unessential in comparison to the rest of the game, but they're also barring any coin prizes that are available.

GF will either have to make unnecessary changes to the EU version to make this stuff available, or EU players will be without extra TMs and Pokemon.

Oh well. Laws are laws, I guess, no matter how inane they are.

Well, it is basically Europe trying to prevent the idea of gambling to continue. Anyway, in Platinum I believe the players still had the option to buy coin at the Game Corner as a bundle. If this remains so, then the trainer can still buy the needed TMs given by the Game Corner. So, you're right GameFreak has found a way to still allow this without the use of Game Slots in the Euro Versions.

It is just that the player now has to waste valuable PokéMoney for something else when they didn't have to before, or didn't have to be forced to anyway.

Pan!ko

vibratingcat XD
    Years
  • wow thats funny! It doesn't really matter though as the slot machines are kinda pointless (for me atleast). Also I'll be getting the jap version. XD

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Insert random filler here.

Last edited:

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • You can still buy the coins which isn't that ridiculous since I heard in some European countries the TCG is illegal as it promotes gambling somehow

Years
  • I live in Britain, but I'm going to import my copy from the US anyway.

To be honest though, it's not because of the slot machine, it's because I wan't it before anyone else over here. =3

Really, Nintendo of America have done worse things to games in the past *cough*Earthbound*cough*. I always personally wondered if in the Japanese versions there was more story development that was edited out, like the rival in Gold and Silver, what was his deal anyway? They never really explained that...

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    I think Game Freak should program four games into the Game Corner, two of them being the classic slot machines and roulette tables, and the other two more like classic 'arcade' games, like a racing game, or something else.

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
  • Mhh I really loved playing the slot machine in FR but well I think I can live with it that HG/SS won't have them in in the German versions. It's not that it is THAT needed to play Pokémon.
    I still don't know exactly why this is soo special here in Europe? Do they think we can become addicted to play slot machine? lolz.

Back