• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga NP: The Theory of Slice of Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    'I like all anime except sports and mecha' - Oh, so you are that guy.

You don't have to enjoy a sport in real life to like a dramatization of one.

Not liking mecha anime is strange considering the fact that they cover pretty much every genre.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    'I like all anime except sports and mecha' - Oh, so you are that guy.

Point #1: I'm a girl.
    Point #2: You can't say I don't like sports just because I said that I won't watch Hajime no Ippo.

I can make some exceptions when it comes to watching those of the mecha genre, but it'll never be for the giant robots.

Speaking of the mecha genre, someone please help me get NGE out of my backlog. :v

Years
    Sports stories, especially those aimed at children, tend to be too corny and cliched for me, even though I loved the hell out of them as a kid.

There's probably a sports anime out there for me, though I might just be too into the real sports for any anime or manga series to ever properly measure up to my standards for tales at this point. Well, maybe there's one in the sports that I'm not into like boxing that could allow me to suspend my disbelief, but I've got too deep of a backlog to be finding that out anytime soon.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Some people do but most don't watch mecha series for the robots. I certainly don't.

There are some aspects of of shounen sports anime that I don't appreciate but for the most part things don't bother me.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    I watch animu if it seems good. Don't care much about genre at all. So if a mecha anime's good then I'll watch it. If not, pass. That's it.

I haven't seen any REAL mecha series though, I think? The closed to mecha I've seen are NGE and TTGL (only these come to mind, sorry >>) and they're mostly character-driven shows with Mechs as plot devices instead of being the actual meat of the show.

On topic of One Piece though - HOLY ****ING **** HAS ODA BEEN ON A ROLL THESE PAST FEW WEEKS. The latest few chapters have been downright amazing. Doflamingo's and Law's pasts were much more ****ed up than I thought.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Not a big fan of the source material or the studio making the series but I have to say the first episodes of UBW have been pretty impressive. Looks like I'll be enjoying this more than the edge fest that was Fate/Zero.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I say I don't like sports anime just because I haven't really watched one that I really liked yet. But I haven't watched too much sports anyway. :P I don't really like to restrict myself to saying I don't like a whole genre, besides for those like hentai (and I dont really dislike them, I'm just not interested) since it's just an umbrella term.

derozio

Years
    Thomas Ford Conyers on that page said:
    You wanna know how I know this will end up being a pile of ****? Because if it didn't it would be one of the greatest movies ever made, and I somehow doubt that they're going to put enough into this to make it one of the best movies ever, so it's pretty much doomed to ****ing suck. Hollywood would have to step WAY outside of it's comfort zone to even approach making a big budget scifi movie that takes place in the future on earth and yet doesn't take place in america, and isn't just full of the same tired old tropes.
    God help me I can see the cliched hyper-simplification of any of the themes that the original had. It'll just be another "technology evil, natural is more wholesome and better"; it'll have an evil AI that want's to take over the world, it'll just rehash shallow social commentary from surrogates and gamer, it'll take place in New York or LA... just... ugh.

hahaha, I see where this guy is coming from. XD; But still, Johansson as Kusanagi? I found her sexy as Black Widow in Avengers but she doesn't seem Kusanagi material to me. :b

derozio

Years
    I'm inclined to agree. But that said,

CAN PEOPLE JUST STOP WATCHING WHATEVER THE **** THEY'RE WATCHING AND START WATCHING
    SHINGEKI NO BAHAMUT
    INSTEAD?! IT IS SUCH A GOOD SHOW AND NOBODY SEEMS TO BE WATCHING IT OVER HERE APART FROM ME AND LAPTRAP AND 1-2 PEOPLE AND IT IS SUCH A SHAME!! D:<

derozio

Years
    I know. But the show as a whole deserves more views than it is garnering right now. >_> I mean, even without the third episode being as good as the first two, I still liked it better than FSN UBW's second episode.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    I have a bad feeling that it will lose it's charm once the plot actually kicks in. Still, will probably be one of the better things this Autumn.

derozio

Years
    please don't say that. i hate that about shows the most. ;____; the ones that start off great but end up as a mess.

the one show that's guaranteed to be destined for greatness is parasyte though. since i've heard that the manga is great from a lot of people and, as long as madhouse doesn't **** it up, it should be good.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    If it continues to not take itself too seriously then it will be good. Greatness? Not a chance in hell.

Not sure there will be any greatness this season, an absolute tonne of solid shows though.

derozio

Years
    I can't really count it out right now. The manga's been called solid as **** by waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many people for me to ignore. And it is old as hell. Not like it is being called good because that's a fad. Not possible for an old-ass manga like this one. 1990-1995. Thing was over before I was born. That's old, m80.

Yeah, agreed on that front, though. Some solid stuff this season. Which is why I'm following 11 (and now possibly 12 after addition of Shirobako I guess?).

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    A lot of the popular seinen series haven't really done it for me. Things like Berserk, Gantz, Sanctuary, Akumetsu and Sun Ken Rock. Before starting I had a feeling Parasyte would fit in with those, hope that isn't the case.

I'm watching 28, although that does include multiple series that only take a few minutes per week. Considering I only watched 3 last season it has been a surprise.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back