• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Obligatory Starter Speculation Thread

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
Years
  • Grass: After Chespin, I really can't use a pattern to predict. I've have to make a wild guess, I'd like to see a grass bear of some sorts, maybe a grizzly. Something bulky and wood-like, but more mammalian like Chesnaught. I think that was a good trend to start, reptilian grass types were getting old.

Fire: Continuing the Chinese zodiac pattern, I'd like the next to be either a fire tiger, ox, or rabbit. I'm pulling for Ox, which makes me think of a fire minotaur (as long as it's not fighting)

Water: Something amphibious....hmmm....a hippo.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    Seeing as Grass broke the current trend, I hope for a Grass-type based off of a Locust. Bug/Grass would be especially interesting for a starter.

For Fire, I hope that we get the Tiger if it goes it's current route. If not, going by my idea, I'd love to get a Fire/Flying type based on a bird, I'd love a Cardinal or Blue Jay especially for the vibrant colors. It would also go with a food-chain idea.

For Water, since I have the food chain idea going through my head, we can probably use a snake as some snakes do eat bird eggs and some are amphibious. I'd say Water/Poison would be best.

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
  • Another Thing I'd like to point out is, Psychic is a HORRIBLE choice for a starter. Imagine a child playing for their first time, with no prior knowledge, They haven't been catching things.
    They get to a rival fight, after destroying everything with Confusion, and proceed to do no damage. Slowly but surely the opposing dark type whittles down their HP down down down. KABOOM? Your pokémon has fainted.
    Rinse and repeat
    Rinse and repeat.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • I'd enjoy a Grass type horse pokemon, a Rabbit water type line and a fire non-humanoid type start if we get any new starters at all.

Years
  • I want a Fire Tiger starter. That would be awesome.
    For Grass, not necessarily for starter, though it would be cool, a Pokémon based on trees. Oak, Sequoia, Heart, whatever (even Mokujin from Tekken XP), with the condition it'd look majestic, imponent and strong (like the power style that Torterra passes on).
    Water starters are not my favorite, but I'd like to see something out of the ordinary. We expect water-types to be always water related. That doesn't happen to the other starters. I can be amazed all the same if a good work is done, of course.

Years
  • Fire Starter Possibilities: - All fire starters are based off of the Chinese zodiac- here are the signs that are left
    Ox
    Tiger
    Rabbit
    Sheep
    Horse (Fire Horse - Ponyta)
    Snake
    We have multiple for foxes Pokémon. Speaking of which, Fennekin isn't truly a dog so a Ram *goat* & Pika * /B]
    Water Starter Possibilities: - All water starters need the water to survive, but can survive on land as well
    Beavers
    Duck (Overused - Unlikely)
    Platypus? (Psyduck?)
    Salamander? (Mudkip? - I know he is an Axolotl)
    Snake? (Like A water snake of some sort)
    Mosquito? (No mosquito Pokemon yet- born in the water... Could it start as a larvae?)
    Snail
    Water Strider (Surskit)

Grass Starters Possibilities: - All grass starters are prehistoric animals in some way... Its almost as if these starters are going through time starting with dinosaurs, and with X and Y, going onto early mammals
    Agilodocodon
    Alphadon (For their teeth - could be a cool concept)
    Cronopio
    Crusafontia
    Eomaia (Had two layers of fur - cool concepts)
    Fruitafossor (Known for digging... ground/grass?)
    Hadrocodium (Had a huge brain for how early it lived and how small it was...)

But guys, once we almost got a Fire bear as a starter so.there is no true pattern

Years
  • Fire Bear?
    Charizard was a dragon
    a lizard with wings doesnt automatically make you a Dragon. He only has a Dragon Mega to make some babies happy and he has the word 'lizard' in his name.
    Typlosion was a Rat
    Blaziken was a rooster
    Infernape was a monkey
    Emboar was a pig
    Delphox was a Dog?
    Allow the Pokédex to correct you

Years
  • Fire/Fighting

I hope that does not return.

It is kinda interesting we have had Fire/Fighting and Grass/Fighting starters, but no Water/Fighting yet. I mean, we have had only one Water/Fighting Pokemon in Poliwrath, and I remember that with the Kalos starters, people were speculating Froakie's final evolution would have Fighting-type but it ended up being Chespin's instead.

While Fighting is cool, I hope we get more uniqueness with the next starters. Give Fighting a break from starters at the moment, Game Freak.

pkmin3033

Thinking about it, having Fairy, Fighting and Steel as the secondary types of the starters would be pretty cool...just as long as the Fighting type isn't also the Fire type. I've had enough of Fire/Fighting starters to last two or three generations at least. Maybe Water/Fighting, Fire/Fairy, and Grass/Steel? Fire/Fairy at least would be an interesting combination in my opinion.

Years
  • I was watching a two part video from a Pokemon YouTuber called Truegreen7 where he talks about the design and name origins about the starter Pokemon, with the first video talking 1st-3rd Gen and the second 4th-6th Gen.

The latter in particular is interesting because as he says in the video the Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos starters have a notable theme collectively as a trio. Sinnoh's starters are based on myths and legends (Torterra being the World Turtle, Infernape based on Sun Wukong of Journey To The West, and Empoleon is Poseidon with Napoleon Bonaparte thrown in), and it ties in with the fact Sinnoh is a region with loads of myths around it.

Unova's trio theme was countries of the world, with Snivy representing Europe (mainly France due to the fleur de lis on Snivy/Servine's tails and Serperior's body), Tepig representing China (Emboar is also based on Zhu Baije from Journey To The West) and Oshawott represents Japan. This was likely based on the fact that Unova is the Pokemon version of the United States, which is a culturally diverse country.

Kalos has the RPG theme, with the warrior (Chesnaught), the mage (Delphox) and the rogue or thief (Greninja). It also ties in with the starters' secondary Fighting, Psychic and Dark types.

I do hope that this generation's new starter trio also have a connecting theme collectively, as in all three members of the trio have a notable theme in designs as a group. Maybe when we learn the new region I could try and research what possible themes could happen with the starter designs.

Years
  • Maybe this could be the game where we get different types for the starters. I am so tired of the Fire, Water, and Grass pattern. Would love to see some new stuff.

pkmin3033

...for some reason that makes me think of a theme of Power, Wisdom and Courage, to tie in with Zelda's 30th Anniversary this year. I doubt Nintendo would do a crossover theme quite that blatant, but it'd be pretty cool nonetheless!

There are a lot of potential trios for themes, though...

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I think it would be cool to see an actual fish for the water starter. I know the water starters have a tradition of having, well, legs. But it could be like how Snivy evolved into Serperior and lost its legs in Gen 5.

I'm gonna echo the sentiment of a rabbit fire-type starter. I could definitely see that being Fire/Fairy type. I would also like to see a sheep fire starter, though. That could also fall into the Fire/Fairy type but could be a Fire/Steel or Fire/Ground type as well.

As for Grass, I want to see a parrot or a hummingbird. Make the final evolution a majestic looking bird: Grass/Dragon or Grass/Psychic typing.

I think it would be cool to change up the starter types from the traditional Grass/Water/Fire types. It can still be equally balanced using different types such as Psychic/Dark/Fighting.

I don't really think the Psychic/Dark/Fighting trio works all that well. Firstly, Psychic doesn't just have minimal effect against Dark, it has no effect at all. So, right off the bat that makes the triad uneven. Fighting can damage Psychic, but Psychic can't damage Dark. Also, that trio sort of takes the "basic-ness" our of the starters. The starters are supposed to represent something that's very simple: balance of natural elements (the thing that the trainer is going out into the world to face). So, ideally, the three to replace those three should be another elemental trio. That makes it hard to find three types that fit the bill. You could try to go the route of including Flying and Rock to represent Air and Earth, respectively (two elements left out of the original trio). But that third typing is then hard to find. What type is strong against and minimally damaged by Rock, but weak to and minimally damages Flying and is elemental in nature (so, no Fighting type)?

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Fire Starter Possibilities: - All fire starters are based off of the Chinese zodiac- here are the signs that are left
    Ox
    Tiger
    Rabbit
    Sheep
    Horse (Fire Horse - Ponyta)
    Snake

Water Starter Possibilities: - All water starters need the water to survive, but can survive on land as well
    Beavers
    Duck (Overused - Unlikely)
    Platypus? (Psyduck?)
    Salamander? (Mudkip? - I know he is an Axolotl)
    Snake? (Like A water snake of some sort)
    Mosquito? (No mosquito Pokemon yet- born in the water... Could it start as a larvae?)
    Snail
    Water Strider (Surskit)

Grass Starters Possibilities: - All grass starters are prehistoric animals in some way... Its almost as if these starters are going through time starting with dinosaurs, and with X and Y, going onto early mammals
    Agilodocodon
    Alphadon (For their teeth - could be a cool concept)
    Cronopio
    Crusafontia
    Eomaia (Had two layers of fur - cool concepts)
    Fruitafossor (Known for digging... ground/grass?)
    Hadrocodium (Had a huge brain for how early it lived and how small it was...)
    Snail pokemon! Yes! that would be awesome, I would name it shelly

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Here's an idea for you...

The 6th gen brought the idea that you'd be able to catch the first evolution of past starters in the Friend Safari.

How would you feel if in the 7th gen, starter Pokemon from previous generations just appeared in the wild like any other Pokemon? (albeit still very rare)

They could perhaps still exclude the previous gens starters from this and give them away in the post game though. (In this case it would be Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie)

Personally I would like it and it feels like a natural direction to go in at this point....I mean technically these starters were in the wild since the professors had to have caught them somewhere. This would just be the logical conclusion of that.

Not to mention with Pokemon Bank it's going to be pathetically easy to get a hold of these starters now anyway. No non-legendaries are really sacred now that the Pokemon Bank exists in conjunction with the GTS.

(I mean heck, even Mew is potentially set to become as common as dish water if the glitched Mew can be transferred from the VC games to Sun & Moon.)

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2016
    If we really get a tropical region, I'd love to have matching starters. They can be the usual fire, grass, water types, I don't really have a problem with that. However there's something I think would be really interesting. How about all of the starters get the ghost type:D that would definetly be something special. Not an normal ghost, rather a spiritual being/ a totem...

A red panda, a dolphin and a hummingbird would be my favourites:3!

Back