• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Obligatory Starter Speculation Thread

Years
  • All starters should have a unique dual-type. For example, Grass/Electric or Grass/Psychic. Fire/Electric, Fire/Ice (unlikely), Fire/Steel, Fire/Poison, Fire/Bug, or Fire/Fairy. Water/Bug, Water/Fairy, Water/Electric, or Water/Ghost. As for their evolution theme, it should be based on the region's main inspiration. Preferably ancient.

Last edited:
    Years
  • For a "theme" I would like to see ancient civilizations. Greco-Roman, Egyptian, Mesoamerican, etc.

I think that could a nice concept for a unifying theme with the starters. I know Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos's starters all had a theme among all three starters. It would be more cool if there's unique type combinations as well.

Years
  • There are lots of interesting things you could use to make a set of three.

Stages of life: childhood, adulthood, old age
    Ages of exploration: sail, air, space
    Types of rock: igneous, metamorphic, sedimentary
    Personality: Id (defensive oriented), ego (balanced), and superego (offensive oriented)

And for me, if the trio are going to have secondary types that also follow the rock-paper-scissors idea I'd like to see Fire/Rock, Grass/Flying, and Water/Fighting. Something like that wouldn't upset the balance of the starters. The Water-type is still strong against the Fire-type, and so on.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    I really, really can't see, nor want to see a change in the starter types. It isn't really that it is a staple type choice, but in fact, that the types themselves are the best contrasts in the game.. They are the best contrasts, and ultimately are the best types to have a choice from.

As for inspiration, if they are going for something to go with the region (i.e Froakie, while frogs aren't only native to France, does go with the theme), and if the region is Hawaii, then I guess at least one may be based on a native animal. After a quick search, there is a native bat, but considering bats have been done a lot at this point, I don't really want that. A starter needs to be original, or at least original looking anyway

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Well before Fennekin we had a Fire Fox, Fennekin was a Fennec Fox tho. I imagine a Grass/Flying Bat starter now.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I think that could a nice concept for a unifying theme with the starters. I know Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos's starters all had a theme among all three starters. It would be more cool if there's unique type combinations as well.

Unfortunately that's impossible because both Water and Grass have been paired up with every other type (except for Grass/Fire). So there are no more unique type combinations that can be used for the starter trio, at least for the Water and Grass starters.

Years
  • Unfortunately that's impossible because both Water and Grass have been paired up with every other type (except for Grass/Fire). So there are no more unique type combinations that can be used for the starter trio.

I wasn't exactly going down that route. I mean type combinations that have been not been used by a starter yet, even if it was used by another Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I wasn't exactly going down that route. I mean type combinations that have been not been used by a starter yet, even if it was used by another Pokemon.

Ooooooohhhhhhhh. Well, then, I could definitely see something like this:

Fire/Fairy Rabbit
    Water/Psychic Dolphin
    Grass/Flying Parrot

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • How about a Dolphin water starter? It's been my dream for so long.

As for Grass type, I'm not sure what I want for that one, maybe a scavenger?

For Fire, I agree with the rabbit sentient.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Maybe we'll get a mammalian trio with sky, sea, and land having a representative. We can get a Grass/Flying bat, a Water dolphin, and a Fire/Ground Bull. In a way the water and fire recreate the weather trio... seeing how Orca's are close to Dolphins, and the behemoth (Groudon's inspiration) is depicted as a bull in ancient art. Perhaps the Dolphin can have Fairy as a second typing so they'll all have immunity's.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It's most likely that the water starter will be one that has legs and can walk around on land. So a dolphin starter doesn't seem too likely.

Also I doubt they will ever stop doing the fire-water-grass starter trio typing, even if fighting-dark-psychic would be cool c:

Years
  • Also I doubt they will ever stop doing the fire-water-grass starter trio typing, even if fighting-dark-psychic would be cool c:

Yeah, they're not going to do that with the starters after they just did it with the most recent trio. Chesnaught, Delphox, and Greninja were their nod to the Fighting/Dark/Psychic trio idea.

Years
  • We already got our Fighting/Dark/Psychic trio with the Kalos starters, so probably not going to be expecting that again.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    We need a Rock/Flying/Fighting trio since it's the second most balanced triangle. Fire/Rock is only used by Magcargo, Water/Fighting is only used by Keldeo and Poliwrath and Grass/Flying is used by Tropius, Jumpluff line and Shaymin, also each type counterpart well with their weakness since they got a counter versus the weakness of their first type.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I want a grass Koala starter, it better be Grass/Dark. (: A Fire/Fairy or a Fire/Poison wouldn't hurt.
    Last but not least, a Dolphin Pokemon with the Water/Psychic or Water/Electric typing please. (:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • We need a Rock/Flying/Fighting trio since it's the second most balanced triangle. Fire/Rock is only used by Magcargo, Water/Fighting is only used by Keldeo and Poliwrath and Grass/Flying is used by Tropius, Jumpluff line and Shaymin, also each type counterpart well with their weakness since they got a counter versus the weakness of their first type.
    Or we could get another Grass/Rock since Cradily's line is the only one with that type. Then Water/Flying or Fire/Flying and Fire/Fighting/Water/Fighting. Though we already have had our Fire/Fighting and Fire/Flying starters...

Maybe we'll get a starter trio who share one type like the Bird, Creation, and Tao trios. Maybe a trio of Fairies. Or a trio of dragons.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'd like to see another flightless bird. Since we've got them as Fire and Water starters, how about a Grass-type flightless bird?

Years
  • I'd like to see another flightless bird. Since we've got them as Fire and Water starters, how about a Grass-type flightless bird?
    Like a kiwi. Then they could make it a Grass-type by giving it some design elements based off a kiwi.

Back