• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Pidgeon Breast - Big Pecks

Um, is that even O.K to put in a children's video game?

Years
  • I guess this is the beginning of the end. On the whole these names are so-so. I like a few, such as Klink, which seem to be in the same humorous vein as old ones like Koffing, but they're not overly creative. Then again we don't get to see what suggested names they didn't choose. I really would've loved to be in the room when they went over possible names.

And I hope everyone got at least a small laugh out of Big Pecks.

Moxie? Where does that even come from? XD
    a dictionary said:
    mox·ie
    n. Slang
    1. The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage.
    2. Aggressive energy; initiative.
    3. Skill; know-how.
    Not a bad choice if you ask me.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • And I was like with the release date info more English names would be revealed. I was right! Ok analysis (hard to do on a mobile phone with slow Wi-Fi)

Professor Juniper: Very well done! I like it, it reminds me of Juniper Lee xD

Castelia City: It's ok, reminds me of something from Sinnoh which isn't bad but I was expecting something new like New Tropolis City or something like that xD

Mincinno is cute and sounds latin like Chinchinlla which is what it's based off.

Gigalith... ok.

Munna stays Yay! One less name to get used to.

Darmanitan, oh goodness it's still long even in English -_-

Sandile omigosh THIS IS WIN! So cute =3 And creative!

Pidove, lolwut it's not even a dove. Don't make it a dove, doves aren't ugly, pigeons are. And don't get of started on Big Pecks xD I prefer Pigeon Heart.

Blitzle is wrong, blitz has to do with fire not electricity, right?

Klink, aww. I thought they would keep Gear but I like what they did here :)

And all those names have been added t o my T9 dictionary xD

Last edited:

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Time to give my share of opinion on the English names announced. :P

Pidove (Jap. - Mamepato) I'm guessing with this name, they've combined the two words 'Pidgeon' and 'Love'; also to fit the ability. Kind of generic, but I like it more than Mamepato.

Really? I thought it was Pigeon+Dove, seeing as it looks like a cross between a dove and a pigeon.

I was wondering is Minccino pronounced:
    Min-Chi-No (how I say it) OR
    Min-See-No OR
    Min-Key-No ?

1100 post YAY!

The Red Chain

Min-Chi-No (how I say it) OR
    Min-See-No OR
    Min-Key-No ?

Probably Min-Chi-No since chi is probably derived from Chinchilla, so I would assume that you say it the same way as that.
    Chillarmy has that same sound as well, so I can only guess. XD;

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years

• Probably Min-Chi-No since chi is probably derived from Chinchilla, so I would assume that you say it the same way as that.
    Chillarmy has that same sound as well, so I can only guess. XD;

Ah yes, I guess I am probably right. I pronounced it like 'chi' though because of Cappuccino XD

Jerpy

Give me your cookies...!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2010
    These newly released names ae so adorable. I only have a problem pronouncing Darmanitan (is it darma-nishun?)
    Oh, and I think someone mentioned before that the names of this group of Pokemon would be released, simmilar to the order in which they were released for Japan. If it is in the same order, what names will come next?

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I am kind of hoping that her name stays the same same with Rankurusu...
    I'm glad that our wish for Munna to stay the same was executed, it's a nice Christmas gift from N of America :)

There is no way in hell the names Gochiruzeru and Rankurusu will remain the same. The names are far too japanese and awkward for english audiences.

I just hope they're new names are good, Gochiruzeru's name might have something to do with stars or celestial.

Really? I thought it was Pigeon+Dove, seeing as it looks like a cross between a dove and a pigeon.

It could easily be all three, seeing that one of it's abilities in japanese was Pigeon Heart. Also it has a heart design on it's front too.

Last edited:

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • My take/rant on the current English names:

Zorua: Zorua - Knew that.
    Zoroark: Zoroark - Knew that.
    Reshiram: Reshiram - Knew that.
    Zekrom: Zekrom - Knew that.
    Tsutarja: Snivy - Bad. Even Smugleaf was better.
    Pokabu: Tepig - Again, not a fan. Best starter name by far, but not good.
    Mijimaru: Oshawott - Worst English name so far.
    Yanappu: Pansage - Not bad.
    Boappu: Pansear - I quite like this one.
    Hiyappu: Panpour - This sounds cool too.
    Chillarmy: Minccino - Best English name so far.
    Giaru: Klink - And I thought Gear was dull...
    Hihidaruma: Darmanitan - Pretty good.
    Gigaiath: Gigalith - Not too bad.
    Munna: Munna - Didn't like it when it was first announced, don't like it now.
    Mamepato: Pidove - Very good name, works well.
    Meguroko: Sandile - Same as Pidove.
    Shimama: Blitzle - Same as Pidove and Sandile.

All in all, I'm dissapointed with some but happy with others. None as bad as Regigigas yet, though.

Years
  • I'm fine with most of these names, but a bit disappointed with Minccino. I wouldn't mind if they changed it to something, you know, decent or clever. Minccino doesn't sound cute at all, it sounds like a very horrid disease. First they do this to Mijumaru, and now my little Chillarmy. I will not stand for this! Whatever.

I'm not a big fan of Pidove. It sounds strange, and it ironically has dove in it. It's acceptable though, only because I don't know how else they could combine pigeon and love. Klink is an excellent name, I'm so glad they didn't keep Gear. Again, everything else is A-OK with me.

By all that is holy and miserable, they better not change Wargle.

The Red Chain

Blitz is German for lightning I believe.

Blitz also means a sudden destructive attack, possibly referring to it's speed and attack power.
    It also can mean charge, but that usually refers to football... ahh what the heck.
    That can also be a reference to charging up lightning or how it can use a lightning-type charging attack.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'm fine with most of these names, but a bit disappointed with Minccino. I wouldn't mind if they changed it to something, you know, decent or clever. Minccino doesn't sound cute at all, it sounds like a very horrid disease. First they do this to Mijumaru, and now my little Chillarmy. I will not stand for this! Whatever.

I'm not a big fan of Pidove. It sounds strange, and it ironically has dove in it. It's acceptable though, only because I don't know how else they could combine pigeon and love. Klink is an excellent name, I'm so glad they didn't keep Gear. Again, everything else is A-OK with me.

By all that is holy and miserable, they better not change Wargle.
    I thought they got Pidove from Pigeon and Dove the two birds it resembles:\

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • My take/rant on the current English names:

Zorua: Zorua - Knew that.
    Zoroark: Zoroark - Knew that.
    Reshiram: Reshiram - Knew that.
    Zekrom: Zekrom - Knew that.
    Tsutarja: Snivy - Bad. Even Smugleaf was better.
    Pokabu: Tepig - Again, not a fan. Best starter name by far, but not good.
    Mijimaru: Oshawott - Worst English name so far.
    Yanappu: Pansage - Not bad.
    Boappu: Pansear - I quite like this one.
    Hiyappu: Panpour - This sounds cool too.
    Chillarmy: Minccino - Best English name so far.
    Giaru: Klink - And I thought Gear was dull...
    Hihidaruma: Darmanitan - Pretty good.
    Gigaiath: Gigalith - Not too bad.
    Munna: Munna - Didn't like it when it was first announced, don't like it now.
    Mamepato: Pidove - Very good name, works well.
    Meguroko: Sandile - Same as Pidove.
    Shimama: Blitzle - Same as Pidove and Sandile.

All in all, I'm dissapointed with some but happy with others. None as bad as Regigigas yet, though.

You think Smugleaf was better than Snivy .___. and Pidove is a good name?

Are you high sir?

Most of the names are horrid IMO. Snivy is just full of sexiness though.

Chillarmy's is terrible :( Chillarmy is beast. ;~;

I would rather Mamepato of kept its name, or something better than Pidove. Sounds stupid. Don't get me started on Big Pecks XD;

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    The only name I'm disappointed with out of the eight is Pidove. Pure Failure. -_-
    Sandile seems like a Totodile ripoff now that I think of it, but I'll let it slide since I love the little guy.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I'm fine with most of the names, but Minnicolo is horrible. ;_; I also don't like Tepig.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I'm fine with most of the names, but Minnicolo is horrible. ;_; I also don't like Tepig.

Do you mean Minccino? XD;

I hope Meguroco's evolutions get better names; something tells me it's evolution line is going to be made up of just Sand related and Crocodile related names. -_-

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • These new pokemon names are wierd...I was easyly able to get used to the 2nd gen,3rd gen and 4th gen was my fav but i don't think i could ever like the 5th gen pokemon or there names.Don't get me wrong i do love the new graphics and the new region but the pokemon them self...YUCK

Kynn Master

Ice/Water-type pokémon master
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 20, 2011
    Dento - Glenn (a glen is another name for a valley)
    Pod - Charles (from char)
    Corn - Wade (the action of walking through water)
    Aroe - Regina (from regular); alternately: Nora (from normal)
    Arti - Mahoney (from honey)
    Kamitsure - Jewel (from joule)
    Yaakon - Dusty (from dust or dusty); alternately: Clayton (from clay)
    Fuuro - Abigail (from gale)
    Hachiku - Achilles (from chill)
    Iris - probably best as it stands, but the name Ophelia wouldn't be bad for a dragon trainer (from ophidian)
    Shaga - Vernon (from wyrm; yeah, I know. It's a stretch.)

I'll bet on Glenn for Dent's english name, since it would be the "translation" of his name(Dent is also from den, the japanese word for field), Fuuro could be named FLYnn, yeah, i know it is a surname

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back