• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
  • Again, "Hilbert" and "Hilda" apparently come from screenshots that are NOT on the official site. Compare this to "Blair" and "Whitlea" which likely came from the mall tour, as PLAYABLE characters which you can name. At this point, I don't know. Serebii hasn't confirmed the H-names even though there's been an update in the last 12 or so hours.

By the way, only 10 hours and 33 minutes until the European release!

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    Well... Hilda isn't so bad, so I wouldn't mind if the female character was called that. But Hilbert... NO. JUST NO. I was planning to name my character his default name, but this is unacceptable. I guess I'm calling him Blair. Also the new Abilities are epic. I love Moody. Soo much better than Inconsistent. And I plan on having a Moody Glalie. If it ever comes out. See how awesome that sounded?

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • Since I use either my own name or Bwburke anyway, I'd say this doesn't affect me. Wasn't there a similar "ENGLISH NAMES SUCK" discussion with DP and HGSS?

At least this generation has no disputed names, assuming my "multiple names" hypothesis is wrong. Speaking of which, when exactly were the Leaf/Green/Blue and Barry/Pearl/Damion debates settled? And don't get me started on Ethan/Gold.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    It's funny how bulbapedia has the leaking of all the unova pokemon names as "breaking news" when everyone has known about it for ages. :p

Years
  • i am getting it in english tomorrow!!!!!!
    woah. Blair and Whitlea suit them.
    not Hilda and Helbert!! ;;
    I love the names for the starters :laugh:
    epic Samurott! Samurai + Otter

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • 4. Anyone using Bulbapedia as a source should be shot dead.

I know Bulbapedia isn't the be-all, end-all for Pokemon information, but that's a bit harsh... :o Heck, even the official English Pokemon site has been wrong on a few anime name localizations and game trivia during a few instances...

Official English Name Discussion

Catching the Legendary [S-HIGHLIGHT]Mew[/S-HIGHLIGHT] will require lots of luck!

The RBY Mewtwo encounter, as currently seen in Pokemon.com's screenshot gallery of Red and Blue Versions.
    Again, "Hilbert" and "Hilda" apparently come from screenshots that are NOT on the official site. Compare this to "Blair" and "Whitlea" which likely came from the mall tour, as PLAYABLE characters which you can name.

HILBERT AND HILDA?!?!
    WTF is this?! :cer_pissed: I would have preferred the names for a duo of powerful Experts/Veterans or something in the Battle Subway, but not for the freaking main characters of the games! Even stranger, they contrast the origins of Touya and Touko, which were said to convey innocence, purity, and transparency IIRC.

I don't want to claim that hot girls can't be named Hilda, but come on! Even Whitlea was better (can't believe I'm saying that), since it partially sounded like the "teenage" name Leah. Hilda either sounds like a grandmother's name (you know how when people hear "Agnes", they think of an old lady?) and Hilbert sounds like the name of some dorky, nerdy, clumsy cartoon side character (no offense to people actually named Hilda or Hilbert, or people who proudly view themselves as nerds, whoever they may be).

I really hope Hilbert and Hilda are just limited to screenshots (who the heck would even pick those names?) and that the actual names revert to Blair and Whitlea. Otherwise, I am going to cry every time I have to read their articles on Bulbapedia or see their mentions in other articles. :cer_cry:

On a side-note, if we get another hot Fire-type female Gym Leader, I hope her name is Charmaine (although with our rotten luck, she'll probably get named Agnes for the similarity to ignite... :disappoin).

Review of MANY English names forthcoming...

As we approach the release, I'll just say this... SNARL? I guess it fits, but Bark Out is a better name.

Nineteen minutes!

What is this I don't even. Zoroark used Snarl! makes it seem like the Pokemon has an effed-up face when talking/growling, when that clearly is not the case.

Rawrinism

Shandera'd
    Years
  • Awwwh, shucks! :'(
    I liked Purgatory better than Inferno.
    To be perfectly honest, Purgatory sounds really epic.
    Inferno just doesn't sound like a good replacement, but that's just my opinions. :)

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • I just found out that they changed Blair and Whitlea's name to... HILBERT AND HILDA!?!?!?

WHAT THE FLYGON!! I mean, those are horrible names! They sound like old people name! Nintendo, I am ashamed of you.

PokemonMasterX

Also known as MysteriexMKII basically everywhere e
    Years
  • Awwwh, shucks! :'(
    I liked Purgatory better than Inferno.
    To be perfectly honest, Purgatory sounds really epic.
    Inferno just doesn't sound like a good replacement, but that's just my opinions. :)

Dude, they did that with a lot of moves. Like how v-generate got turned into v-create. I think v-generate sounds cooler. VICTINI USED V-CREATE! Idk, just doesn't fit as well as VICTINI USED V-GENERATE! XD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't like "Snarl." Bark Out was better. And I like Purgatory's change into Inferno.

And: Prankster >>>> Mischievous Heart. But then again, Tornadus and Thundurus got it, so I don't see how it relates to them being Pranksters.

jammi567

Apparently, the official names for the Player Characters are Hilbert and Hilda.

Really, game. Really?!

Who the hell thought those names were cool?

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
    Years
  • Hilda means battler if I'm correct, and they probably just thought they sounded "tough" no cool about it.

I like Hilda, and Hilbert is deffinetely...um, unique?

Though I think there is already a thread for this English names discussion.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    Hilbert apparently means "magnificant in battle." I'm not a fan of either name, thank Arceus we're allowed to choose our own.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • LOL What happened to Blair and Whitlea, the latter I've grown to really like xD Though I like Hilbert and Hilda as they both start with "H" and I guess mean battlers which means trainer :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I miss the old color-based names from the earlier generations. I suppose Black and White might not make the best character names (some people would probably complain about racial connotations), but whatever happened to good old names like Red, Blue, and Gold? The "trendy" names of today's games won't stand the test of time, but at least color-based names, while not particularly exciting, still seem fitting after over a decade.

Ultimately, though, with the elimination of the list of potential name choices (the games automatically bring you to the equivalent of the "New Name" entry box, rather than giving you options like RED, ASH, etc.), the characters' official names don't have any real role in gameplay anymore, so it doesn't really matter what the official names are.

I do wish we could name the rivals, though. I miss that feature, and I'm not too wild about their names (though they aren't as bad as Hilbert and Hilda).

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • Omg. Hilda sounds like an old woman's name and Hilbert reminds me of a geeky kid with huge glasses. Oh well :P

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
    Years
  • Omg. Hilda sounds like an old woman's name and Hilbert reminds me of a geeky kid with huge glasses. Oh well :P

Maybe that's what they were trying to do, switch it up. Give them names that don't go with their personality. I kind of like it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back