• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

on fleek [dLtMs0 v 5.5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

Naming? No, probably not. Names are easy to come up with.

Coming up with new pokemon? Nope. It's a procedural process with a team of ideators and tons of ideas that they've thrown out or passed up. Whether they feel authentic or not is another story, though. I sure do hope they go quality over quantity in Gen 7 like they did in Gen 6. Loved the diverse region. The region itself, eh...

Oh, and we're on the 6th generation, Vespy.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

I imagine gen 7 will be a "lots of new versions of all the regular pokémon archetypes, to make for a bit of a fresh start" type of deal, much like gen (1), 3, and 5 before it. As for ideas and designs, IMO gen six has had some consistently great new Pokémon, so don't count them out just yet.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Yeah, I was quite a fan of Gen VI's designs. Hell, Espurr's my favorite Pokemon now, and Klefki's adorable no matter what anyone says.

Actually, speaking of Gen V, I decided to go back and really play my Pokemon Black 2 game to break up the monotony of going through my 14th consecutive XY nuzlocke (none of the prior were successes). Which, in turn, led me to go back to White since I never beat it and when I did play it it was still Japanese-only and I didn't like it very much (stopped some time before Zekrom's encountered. B2 was the same deal, but I stopped way earlier.

But now that I'm going in under a different mindset, you know...BW is a real damn shame. Gen V is a damn shame. It's a damn shame because they knew that they really had to sell these game's since they were on the same hardware as Gen IV, so they had to push that the game was just as much of a jump as any other Generation and they went all out. Apart from being the meatiest and most unique entries in the series, they did a lot of things that oddly weren't done in Gen V but felt like they should have been mainstays (ie. The song that plays when your health reaches critical and the Gym Leader's last Pokemon changing to a remix of the theme song being small but effective examples).

I've said before that Gen VI is the most fun I've had with a Pokemon game since Generation II and it's still my second favorite generation, but Generation V did a lot of really smart and highly experimental things. Considering the hectic (but interesting) worldwide release of XY, I'm looking forward to seeing if Gen VII will incorporate some of what was lost in the transition and build on what Gen VI introduced.

*cough*

That'd my spiel.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023

You know what I want to see?

INSTANT HEALTH RESTORATION

You ever heal a Blissey from red health with a max potion?

Takes ages

Years
All I ask of Pokemon is a remake of RBY.

It'll happen. One day.

firered-leafgreen.jpg

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

But now that I'm going in under a different mindset, you know...BW is a real damn shame. Gen V is a damn shame. It's a damn shame because they knew that they really had to sell these game's since they were on the same hardware as Gen IV, so they had to push that the game was just as much of a jump as any other Generation and they went all out. Apart from being the meatiest and most unique entries in the series, they did a lot of things that oddly weren't done in Gen V but felt like they should have been mainstays (ie. The song that plays when your health reaches critical and the Gym Leader's last Pokemon changing to a remix of the theme song being small but effective examples).

I've said before that Gen VI is the most fun I've had with a Pokemon game since Generation II and it's still my second favorite generation, but Generation V did a lot of really smart and highly experimental things. Considering the hectic (but interesting) worldwide release of XY, I'm looking forward to seeing if Gen VII will incorporate some of what was lost in the transition and build on what Gen VI introduced.

*cough*

That'd my spiel.

I'm totally with you there. BW/B2W2, and to a lesser extent HGSS, due to being late developments of the DS, had so much... polish. I dare call it polish: the low health music, the last gym pokémon music, the gyms all having separate area themes, the NPCs adding to the area's music when interacting or standing near them, the infinite TMs, the cue to automatically re-repel (though these two would fall under the quality of life category instead), the auto-run button, the area sfx... So little of it has translated into the 3DS versions so far. And that's a shame.

You know what I want to see?

INSTANT HEALTH RESTORATION
That'd be interesting, though I'm not sure if they could do that without it being jarring.

I'd be all for faster regen, though.

I guess it's supposed to make you feel just how much HP you're regenerating, but unlike the speed at which it goes down, it serves no mechanical purpose as a signifyer to the opponent of the Pokémon's HP stat. I definitely feel this should be an option somewhere. Maybe it'd make PvP matches seem unsynched or something, I don't know.

Yeah, but I mean, you know.

Good New Remakes.

Hey, FrLg were great. They fixed Kanto's level curve and added the most end game areas out of any remake yet.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

I'm half-joking about FRLG being bad remakes, though they certainly pale in comparison to their successors. I've talked before about how much I would absolutely love Post-XY remakes of RBY, preferably if they're more liberal and add the flair of personality and style (aesthetically, musically, and in the way of dialog and character) that HGSS and ORAS did. And I'd totally be down with going through a redesigned, 3D Kanto.

A sequel being set in Kanto would be great, too.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
I've already stated what I'd love to see in RGBY remakes

I miss the VS Sprite portraits

The full art doesn't really do it for me

vss_by_songbreeze741-d92hisa.png

Last edited:

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

A gen I remake for the 3DS would be great.

Heck, I'd take a black-and-white game reproducing the old sprites as Voxel-based 3D models with Gen VI mechanics, if they just wanted to cash in on nostalgia for the 20th anniversary.

Using sugimori artwork as trainer "sprites" is kind of cute, but I don't think it's going to work in the long run. They're going to need to make proper, animated 3D sprites some day, for consistency. Man, that'd be great. Assuming of course they don't reuse the same models for different games, which they probably would, the fuckers.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Yeah, actually, one of the things that I pondered over my many XY nuzlockes in the past few weeks, and when I first started, is how out-of-place the 2D trainer sprites look, heightened by the fact that your full 3D model is shown fully animated only moments after.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Sugimori's art, but I don't think I'd love anything more than than every trainer having fully animated models.

Oh, and I doubt they'll reuse them. Regardless of 2D or 3D, part of Pokemon's identity is the different iterations of the same or similar classes. That said, the 3D models of the Pokemon will be used for generations to come, no doubt. Now that they don't have to keep redrawing them every generation, we'll likely see more done with them, such as more gender differences and the like. Personally, I'm hoping this'll lead to minor aesthetic differences between Pokemon of the same species, but I dream.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023

At the very least, models for Gym Leaders and Elite Four would be nice

Shame they couldn't use the cutscene models for the overworld though

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years
Oh, and I doubt they'll reuse them. Regardless of 2D or 3D, part of Pokemon's identity is the different iterations of the same or similar classes.

Yeah, I thought so too, then ORAS reused XY's exact models and sprites for the Psychic (male only, females were retconned away), Hiker, Hex Maniac, Black Belt, Backpacker, and Fairy Tale Girl classes.

The lack of gym leader and E4 battle models is pretty bad. Heck, the champion of the Kalos region just got still artwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back