• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

on fleek [dLtMs0 v 5.5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years

Rapture has been mentioned twice already. I believe that warrants this:

PG Tips

Neck biter extraordinaire
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2015

The majority of well-known, good music was produced before what I assume you mean by internet time! I quite fancy a few of those ancient last century-hits.

Years
  • 71. Instructions unclear, music borders now stuck in in the electronic music genre.

As it stands I like a fair bit of '70s and '80s pop and rock. Not so much a fan of a lot of '60s stuff because the sounds just typically don't appeal to me, even if it's a classic.

PG Tips

Neck biter extraordinaire
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2015

People say that, but I haven't really had a shortage of good music from the earlier parts of my life to now. You just need to know where to look. If you don't see anything, expand your borders.

Not at all saying music is inherently bad these days. But there's a lot to choose from when you've got a whole century of pop music.

No opinion on living in early-twentieth century US, but I certainly don't mind the music from those eras.
    Got a soft spot for swing.

Years
  • The 60s just weren't all that timeless as far as media was concerned, and thinking about living any time from the 30s to the 60s gives me chills. Possible parts of the 70s, too.

Most people I know would disagree with you on that because of the Beatles, but I'm not really all that into them.

A lot of the popular music of the decade definitely wasn't timeless because it was quite political in nature. CCR's Fortunate Son being a rare example of political music that aged pretty well because the lyrics are more class warfare rather than about the Vietnam War itself.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

I actually had the Beatles in mind when typing that. Not a fan, myself, and I certainly wouldn't say they were timeless. Even if you do like them, their songs, sound, and style are completely of their time.

Plus it's 2015 and no one's bothered to clean up all the noise in their songs. We have the technology. We have the power. So why the hell do we play these crackly-ass pieces on the radio?

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years

Yo let's drop some sound science on y'all's *****-asses. If we left the auditory compositions as they are but remove the noise and scratches it'd sound a bit odd to us. Not because of nostalgia and inability to enjoy new renditions of old work but because the removal of noise would reveal clearly how bare and simple the acoustic images of music back then was in relation to how complex, full and tuned they are now. Like, compare the amount of sounds going on in a Michael Jackson song versus any modern pop hit at any given time. Noise covers that up.

I dare say one reason why this complexity has developed is because of the crackle-free mediums music today is stored on. It's actually pretty interesting.

But basically, removing the scratches from these crackly-ass pieces would require subtle additions to their acoustics in order to retain the same general "feel" of the songs.

Source: my audio professor from last year.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

Makes sense. You'd think people would want to hear the groups for what they are, though, rather than how they turned out. Nothing particularly wrong with this, of course.

Though in the pre-70s American music wasn't really...what's the word...

...I couldn't listen to it today because it's tone is far too...not somber...no, actually I'd say somber's pretty accurate. It's a type of somber that completely dims my mood. Or the 50s, rather. Hell, I guess I'm generalizing overall. I don't particularly mind the Beach Boys or the Bee Gees, and the Harlem Renaissance was 20/30 years before that and the music that spawned from that managed to be of a very particular quality and also fun.

So it varies by genre, I suppose. No way I could all music prior to the 70s was boring, because swing was way before the 70s. Same with Jazz. It really just depends on the side of music that I'm focusing on that determines whether its cringeworthy-level bad or just plain fun times. And the same could be said about now, really.

Years
  • 79. IIRC, multi-tracking technology really didn't get invented until the '60s and didn't catch on until the '70s. Source: was curious about something related to that one day and looked it up. I think it was auto-tuning, which also came into existence at around the same time.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years

I have a bunch of cassette tapes songs and most of them still intact as new. As well as VHS tapes. Look it is the Land Before Time!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back