• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: On Tuesdays Oryx and Triforce think it's Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Hehe, I've been off my lithium carbonate for a 9-month period without problem and was put back on it because my dad wants to pin the psychological issues caused by him and his girlfriend onto a diagnosis I got when I was 8. I've been off the other two for weeks at a time as well with little problem.

It's weird that you say that since lithium carbonate (afaik) is usually used in the treatment of bipolar disorder which... I doubt many psychologists would be comfortable diagnosing in an 8 year old (well, that or most mental illnesses tbh). What went on there?

or am i just misreading your post

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    It's weird that you say that since lithium carbonate (afaik) is usually used in the treatment of bipolar disorder which... I doubt many psychologists would be comfortable diagnosing in an 8 year old (well, that or most mental illnesses tbh). What went on there?

or am i just misreading your post
    Yeah, bipolar. At that time I was something of a basket case, and showed Autism, ADHD, manic depression, and mild Tourrette's, though by puberty the Tourrette's went away, the ADHD's died down, and my time off of lithium shows that maybe the bipolar is receeding as well, which is good. My dad says my mother has bipolar when she has clinical depression, but luckily at least with me anyone with a postgraduate degree saw through his manipulative BS.

My psychiatrist said even to my dad that its a huge gamble diagnosing someone so young with anything, let alone all the stuff I had. So he's not surprised, either. :P

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    But lol, the above post makes me remember how useless schools (here, at least) are at actually teaching you things you need to know. How to buy a house, insurance information, and so on. Sigh.

But home economics can teach a variety of things, such as how to sew! That's useful, right? I can probably buddy up to the IRS with a nice quilt if I'm indicted.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I never felt like the classes in high school taught much about...the real world. I took government, economics, and various other "life skill" classes like that, but I don't recall learning a thing from them. I feel like maybe college/university should require you to take some sort of courses on these life skills, but it doesn't seem to happen there either!

I suppose it is just a way for the high schools to say that they taught the material required. I've learned most things like taxes, mechanics, etc. from actually experiencing them in life and being forced to go do them.

Years
    I look back to my high school years quite often these days, and even just 14 months ago I was in high school classrooms for 7-8 hours a day, and I felt trapped. Now a year later, it's such a different experience with being in college and having more freedom. You aren't confined to the way you're supposed to dress, and you have some more control over how you go about your day as well. I also emphasize "some more" because of course you can't curse out your professors lol, but it's definitely a more free environment once you're out of high school.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    But home economics can teach a variety of things, such as how to sew! That's useful, right? I can probably buddy up to the IRS with a nice quilt if I'm indicted.
    Public schools and colleges are a joke here. Private K-12 education and private universities will teach you what you need to know - it's why they're nearly exclusive to the wealthy.

I love how public education is systematically overrode to become a vector to keep the poor uneducated and the wealthy enlightened while simultaneously masquerading as an institution that functions as an environment of true learning (hint: it's not). It's quite the masterpiece of broken fidelity between the government and it's people, eh?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I look back to my high school years quite often these days, and even just 14 months ago I was in high school classrooms for 7-8 hours a day, and I felt trapped. Now a year later, it's such a different experience with being in college and having more freedom. You aren't confined to the way you're supposed to dress, and you have some more control over how you go about your day as well. I also emphasize "some more" because of course you can't curse out your professors lol, but it's definitely a more free environment once you're out of high school.

It's funny, because I was just thinking about how I feel freer mentally doing a job than in college, I guess it's just where you are in life, haha! Now I feel freer mentally because I know at home I don't have to worry about when I'll do my homework, if I have a paper due, etc., because you work at work and at home all you have to do is home things. High school is still worse because you have that super structured time during the day on top of homework and papers and projects, but after 4 years of free schedules but stress over trying to block out times to work on my own time it's nice to not have to worry about it.

Kind of like how some people think wearing a uniform to school frees their minds!

Years
    Public schools and colleges are a joke here. Private K-12 education and private universities will teach you what you need to know - it's why they're nearly exclusive to the wealthy.
    Private institutions are open to anyone who qualifies to attend them (such as certain religious beliefs or other circumstances such as single-gender institutions) and can afford to attend them. They aren't just exclusive to the "wealthy," as you put it.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Private institutions are open to anyone who qualifies to attend them (such as certain religious beliefs or other circumstances such as single-gender institutions) and can afford to attend them. They aren't just exclusive to the "wealthy," as you put it.

Well, uh...the "can afford to" kind of encapsulates it right there. Although to be fair, often the private institutions with massive endowments give more financial aid than the public ones - I got accepted to both Rutgers and Notre Dame, and Rutgers wanted me to take out 20k a year in loans to go there while Notre Dame gave me nearly a full ride.

Of course, this leaves the people who are in between screwed. I was lucky because I was very lower class and therefore the money was offered to me. However, people who are lower-middle class or even just middle class don't have 50k a year to throw down on a school, and yet the school will give them very few grants and some loans, and they have to borrow the rest from somewhere else. Those are the people graduating from college drowning in debt, not the very rich and not the very poor. The valedictorian of my high school got into a prestigious school that expected her to pay the entire 50k to go there - they said she can afford it, and just laughed when she said "yeah, for one year...then what?"

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    and can afford to attend them.
    That's really what I was talking about. Ivies such as Dartmouth and Harvard are over 25K a year, and our local private high school here in Colorado Springs – Valor as they call it – is two grand per semester. By the way, Valor owns every school in the state in their athletics, not just in academia, so I imagine their mentality on school leans a lot more toward giving a ♥♥♥♥ and less towards "lets drop out because screw school" like so much of our middle- and lower-class youth does. What parent in their right minds would pay 16 thousand dollars on a high school education and allow that sort of mentality, eh?

Essentially in education, money talks and bull♥♥♥♥ walks. You're not going to get the same education at a state university as you would a more revered private one. It's even more polarized with K-12 as it's compulsory for all US citizens, not to mention is normally free. I guess if a person isn't giving something for a thing as valuable as an education, then they don't see the value in it and piss it away. Shame, huh?

Years
    Well, of course better education is going to be at private institutions, because the private institutions have the money to pay to professors that are more experienced and deserve to earn a higher paycheck than those that work at public universities, or even state/community colleges.

For me though, my personal preference is to attend community college just to help keep my tuition minimized as a first-time student into post-secondary education. I know that I will eventually transfer into a university, where tuition is higher, but at least it saves me money compared to going straight into a four-year university, whether public or private.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    In the end, it's about networking anyway, but the higher ranked schools are better at it. I seriously didn't learn anything directly relevant to my career in my classes. Some of them I feel I came out better for it, but not like the coding I needed to know...it was just because I networked with a high-up guy that got me where I am.

Years
    For me though, my personal preference is to attend community college just to help keep my tuition minimized as a first-time student into post-secondary education. I know that I will eventually transfer into a university, where tuition is higher, but at least it saves me money compared to going straight into a four-year university, whether public or private.

Pretty smart road to go down. I know a lot of my friends that are graduating seniors doing this as well to save money, as universities are always expensive, especially if one is interested in going out of state. The whole college process is quite daunting, really, and I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle it head-on just yet. So many options, variables, ugh. e__e;

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Don't stress too much about it! What do you want to do after college?

Years
    I'm not so sure. Right now, I'm banking on getting a tennis scholarship to a good academic school out of state, and that's about as far into the future as I've thought. Used to be decided on going to medical school and becoming a doctor, but now I'm not sure at all. I don't really have a passion for it, but I know it's going to pay really well and I'll be able to live comfortably with that career, so I kind of gravitated towards it for that reason. Ideally, I'd love to try to publish a novel or two after college and see where that goes, because I have a passion for writing and I know I'd enjoy that.

Years
    All I know is that going to college after graduating high school without a purpose nor an intent can cause stress levels to be extremely high. I know of someone whose parents were making them go through college, and they didn't want to, but it was either that or work/pay rent.

At least for me, I have a chosen career path, which makes me feel more motivated about heading into school.

Years
    Come to Canada or Europe, much more affordable. At least the annual tuition for undergrad in my province doesn't go above four digits.

Years
    Come to Canada or Europe, much more affordable. At least the annual tuition for undergrad in my province doesn't go above four digits.

That's what it's like here for in-state universities, but once you go out of state the price basically sky rockets up. Problem is, I don't want to stay in-state. Just not a big fan of Texas, so I'm looking to go somewhere with a similar climate, ideally California. Lots of good schools there, but I'd definitely need a scholarship to afford it. :/

Never looked at universities in Canada, though!

Years
    Yeah, at my college, the price of a single credit hour is triple the amount out-of-state as it is in-state. It's ridiculous.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back