• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Otherkin

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Okay. So I have some questions about how you're experiencing fictionkin, too, now that you've found a kin. How does being fictionkin reconcile with your life as it is? Do you feel as if you were-- who was it-- Rin? in a past life as well? Or is that different?

Years
    You know, Kanzler makes an interesting point. Really being Otherkin - regardless of legitimacy - isn't much different to a belief in reincarnation. It makes me wonder if there's anything psychologically present in the human brain that could lead to that feeling.

Does anyone know?

Years
    You know, Kanzler makes an interesting point. Really being Otherkin - regardless of legitimacy - isn't much different to a belief in reincarnation. It makes me wonder if there's anything psychologically present in the human brain that could lead to that feeling.

Does anyone know?

Personally, I think it's more so a matter of nurture over nature.

Can cats, dogs, rats, parakeets be humankin? If it's possible for humans to have past lives as an animal, then there's no reason it can't be possible for animals to have a past life as a human. What a sad life it must be for the polar bear humankin.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
    Okay. So I have some questions about how you're experiencing fictionkin, too, now that you've found a kin. How does being fictionkin reconcile with your life as it is? Do you feel as if you were-- who was it-- Rin? in a past life as well? Or is that different?
    Yeah for me it feels as if I were her in a past life as well.

Years
    Identifying as either partially or fully an animal is ridiculous. I'm not against it because it 'hurts people', I'm against it because it's stupid. If you identify as otherkin or fictionkin, I don't hate you. I don't even dislike you. I just think less of your intelligence because it is a very silly thing to believe.

'Fiction-hearted' is kind of a silly word. Literally anyone who cares about television, film or writing has characters they identify with. Being able to relate to a character doesn't put you in a box, it's very normal.

I find it rather silly that you'd classify a whole group of people as "less intelligent" or "stupid" simply because they believe in something you do not.
    A lot of people with mental illness or identity issues identify as kin because it helps them cope or build up an identity. I'm one of these people.

Years
    I find it rather silly that you'd classify a whole group of people as "less intelligent" or "stupid" simply because they believe in something you do not.
    A lot of people with mental illness or identity issues identify as kin because it helps them cope or build up an identity. I'm one of these people.

If people are doing it to cope or build up an identity, is there a degree of make-believe involved?

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Well it depends. I don't have too many memories of being a cat, only a few here and there and they're only quick glimpses. But I think I might also be kin with Rin Hoshizora because I have memories of laying in a meadow with Maki and Hanayo. That memory is pretty vivid. However my cat memories I do remember, they're just not as vivid. They come and go in quick glimpses mostly.

I'm sorry, as much as I'm willing to believe the chance you may have been a cat in a prior life I can outright tell you you weren't an anime character from 2010 in a past life.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
    A) I never said they're stupid.
    B) It's not because they believe in something I do not, it's because they believe made up nonsense.

Flat out admitting to making this stuff up to cope with mental issues doesn't really help your case.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
    I'm sorry, as much as I'm willing to believe the chance you may have been a cat in a prior life I can outright tell you you weren't an anime character from 2010 in a past life.
    well, you're not me. i am. i'm sorry you don't believe me but that's your loss.

Also @Caaethil, if you're just going to be negative I'd rather you not even bother in this thread, thanks. I really don't need the negativity.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
    well, you're not me. i am. i'm sorry you don't believe me but that's your loss.

Also @Caaethil, if you're just going to be negative I'd rather you not even bother in this thread, thanks. I really don't need the negativity.

"Basically, my question/discussion or whatever for you is, what do you think about otherkin/fiction-hearted? Do you think it's all bogus? Do you think it's legit? How do you feel about it? Do you identify as otherkin or fictionhearted? Or maybe even both?"

Being a bit indecisive, aren't you? You should really make up your mind on whether or not you're on board with hearing others' opinions. If you decide you aren't, you shouldn't really have made a thread in the first place.

If you do decide you want to have an actual discussion, act like it and reply to us with something other than "well you're wrong I know".

Let me make one thing very clear. You were not an anime character in a past life. That is absurd. Somebody made that character up as part of the anime. Which was also made up. Even if you feel like you might have been, you need to come to terms with the fact that unbelievably silly and just isn't true.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
    well. i'm sorry you think it's silly and not true, but i think it's true. i do want to hear opinions but i wasn't expecting such a close minded person. i do think I was Rin in a past life. I'm sorry if you think it's not true. I have memories from my mind from when I was her. I also have memories from when I was a cat. but i don't know what else you want me to say. i'm just being me and I'm not doing anything wrong to hurt anyone.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    So Rin Hoshizora was created in 2010. Hoshiko is 18 years old, making you (sorry dont want to get your pronouns wrong its rude) born sometime around 1997, about 13 years before the creation of the character. If you identified as Rin Hoshizora is a past life, it must have been pre-1997- before the character was created. So its impossible.

In addition, being fictionkin relies on the ideas of another human being outside of your own. To be consistently fictionkin, you must have been Rin before the character was created and regardless if it was created or not. Meaning you had to be Rin whether or not Rin was made up or not. To be fictionkin, you must have known about the character in the first place, meaning again, fictionkin is impossible.

With fictionkin being impossible, it discredits your notion of being catkin as well. Accordion this this website https://www.njpetcommunity.com/pets-care-health/how-cats-remember/ : "information can be retained for approximately 16 hours. However, in order for a cat to have such amazing recall of information, the activity or action must be something of interest or benefit."

Other websites also said that it would have to trigger extreme happiness, sadness, etc for the cat to remember something. Or be repeating many times. You specifically said that you dont remember much, which means:

1) you somehow had memory longer than 16 years that lasted through death and rebirth, not even in the same life

2) it must have been something that gave you extreme pleasure or pain or something of the sort, so you should be able to remember more clearly.

Both cases goes undermine your arguments.

Im sorry- I accept the lifestyle and your right to be catkin or fictionkin, and I would gladly be friends with you or someone similar, but I am really having believing in it. And I seriously doubt the credibility.

Years
    It's perfectly possible to identify something without claiming that you were them in a past life. And the whole living a past life as a fictional character who was actually created within your own lifetime thing is, not to offend, literally nonsensical.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I agree with the impossibility of having been a fictional character in a past life. It's not possible to have memories associated with a being that is straight up not real. You can identify with a character- people have been doing that for as long as there have been characters to identify with. You can have headcanons about that character, you can RP as that character, you can dream of that character- but you can not be or have been that character. I have seen a lot of fictionkin in passing- and many of them claimed to be characters who canonically were not born before the person identifying with them as kin. So even if everything else made sense... that doesn't.

I am currently less interested in what people claim to be kin with than I am with why they claim to be kin. Do you dislike yourself? Your body? Your life situation? Do you feel like you are trapped, and invent fictional identities to combat this? What prompts you to identify and behave as you do?

Last edited:

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
    ..i don't know. maybe i'm not kin with rin hoshizora. but i know that i'm catkin. i can just feel it. i don't know why i feel the need to claim i'm kin. i just..do. it makes me feel safe and secure.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    So it makes you feel safe and secure, but can you identify why that is? What part of being catkin helps you feel safer than being entirely human?

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
    i don't know why. it just does. i can't describe it, but..when i feel as if i'm a cat or that i was one in my past life, i feel free and that i'm able to do what i want without criticism.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    It sounds like identifying with a cat frees you from judgement. You feel like cats don't receive the same level of criticism and drama that humans have to deal with, maybe? Is there a lot of criticism directed toward you in your life that makes you feel like you would have been better off not being human?

Back