• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Otherkin

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Oh I know that feeling. That's pretty legit. I've had those feelings and thoughts myself at various points and for various reasons in my life. Everyone has different coping mechanisms. :) Mine have evolved over the years to make it look like I'm pretty "normal", but it takes time. I wonder if talking through your problems with someone you trust, or someone that doesn't have a personal stake in your home life could help free you as a human? Escapism is helpful, but it's not the only solution, nor always the best. :)

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    well..yes, unfortunately. i just get a lot of criticism from family and others and i feel like being a cat would free me from it.

Is the source of the criticism from identifying as a cat? Im sorry you have to deal with criticism from family. :/

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'm of mind that as long as someone isn't causing harm to others, then hey -- do what you want. I don't believe this causes harm; if anything, I've seen it drastically improve peoples moods and self-perception. While I can understand the being an animal in a past life, I can't quite get behind being a fictional character in a past life -- that's a bit of a stretch for me. I can, however, get behind someone IDing with a character. If that makes you feel secure and valid, then that's fine. You're not hurting anyone by finding your own personal safe space with that identification.

tl;dr you do you, boo.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I'm open to the idea but it's not something that I can identify with. For people who do choose to identify as otherkin, then by all means do so! I think it's good that people want to freely express who they are. I have trouble understanding how fictional kin works though, which other people have covered in this thread. However if that's what a person wants to believe in and it's something they feel strongly about then I don't have the right to stop them. If it makes them happy, then I'm fine with people believing they are otherkin or fictionalkin.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
    Is the source of the criticism from identifying as a cat? Im sorry you have to deal with criticism from family. :/
    actually, my mom is fine with it. i told her a few weeks ago that i think i was a cat in my past life, and she said "that's ok, i don't judge." basically, i do me.

she mostly criticizes me for other unimportant things. but it's okay. i still think i'm otherkin however. i still think i'm catkin.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
    i do want to hear opinions but i wasn't expecting such a close minded person.

There is nothing close-minded about refusing to believe you were a cat and an anime character in a past life. Sorry you didn't get the "you do you" response you wanted. Maybe I'm a bit brash, that's just me. BadSheep gave the evidence I was going to suggest, at least in terms of the anime character, but honestly I'm too lazy so thanks dude.

Years
    A) I never said they're stupid.
    B) It's not because they believe in something I do not, it's because they believe made up nonsense.

Flat out admitting to making this stuff up to cope with mental issues doesn't really help your case.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I respectfully disagree. I do not believe at all that I am making anything up, in my mind it's real, but everyone's mind works differently and you did directly say you "question our intelligence" or think less of it, which I found to be rather rude; however I do apologize if my response was harsh.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    ..i don't know. maybe i'm not kin with rin hoshizora. but i know that i'm catkin. i can just feel it. i don't know why i feel the need to claim i'm kin. i just..do. it makes me feel safe and secure.

And I can completely support the idea of this. Many cultures and people believe in reincarnation, one of my closest friends constantly talks about having memories from a past life, hell, I have memories that aren't mine. I don't believe I was anything before me, maybe I just dreamt up those memories, or maybe they really are somebody else's. I don't know.

But I know that memories I have of fiction characters are just that, fiction. It's just my imagination fighting off boredom. It's fine to heavily associate with characters, but there's no way you, or me, or anyone else was ever, ever a fictional character cooked up within our lifetime(s)

Years
    Just putting it out there: just because it feels real in your mind doesn't necessarily make it real. Hallucinations aren't real, confabulations are possible - the mind is so fluid and prone to errors that, in my opinion, personal experience alone does not something real make. I'm not saying that anything immediately isn't real, but that it's a bit of a leap to say it is just from personal experience alone.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
    That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I respectfully disagree. I do not believe at all that I am making anything up, in my mind it's real, but everyone's mind works differently and you did directly say you "question our intelligence" or think less of it, which I found to be rather rude; however I do apologize if my response was harsh.

'In my mind it's real'? That doesn't make it real though. You were not an animal in a past life. Let me make that very clear. No scientific evidence has been found for anything close to reincarnation. The more research that is done on the brain, the more we understand a very simple truth: the brain as we see it, all on its own, is enough to explain human consciousness. All by itself. No soul. No past lives. None of it. None of it exists.

I don't believe you made it up. Someone, probably on Tumblr, had the idea before you. And even if they genuinely believed it, they still made it up, per say, because it's not real. This is not a matter you can debate. Until you can actually quantify it somehow, it isn't real, and I think that for the sake of education you should think of the other explanations for why you could identify so strongly with an animal.

And the other, more rational reasons are innumerable. This is what I don't understand about otherkin. There are so many better explanations that make so much more sense. And because you refuse those and go for "I'm a dragon" or whatever, I think less of your intelligence.

Sorry if that offends you, but to paraphrase Hitchens, if you say you're offended I'll ask what your point is.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    'In my mind it's real'? That doesn't make it real though. You were not an animal in a past life. Let me make that very clear. No scientific evidence has been found for anything close to reincarnation. The more research that is done on the brain, the more we understand a very simple truth: the brain as we see it, all on its own, is enough to explain human consciousness. All by itself. No soul. No past lives. None of it. None of it exists.

I don't believe you made it up. Someone, probably on Tumblr, had the idea before you. And even if they genuinely believed it, they still made it up, per say, because it's not real. This is not a matter you can debate. Until you can actually quantify it somehow, it isn't real, and I think that for the sake of education you should think of the other explanations for why you could identify so strongly with an animal.

And the other, more rational reasons are innumerable. This is what I don't understand about otherkin. There are so many better explanations that make so much more sense. And because you refuse those and go for "I'm a dragon" or whatever, I think less of your intelligence.

Sorry if that offends you, but to paraphrase Hitchens, if you say you're offended I'll ask what your point is.

It may not be "real" to you; but that doesn't mean we cannot or should not be considerate of that person's feelings. For many; their kinship with what it is they identify with is on a spiritual or religion-like level. You can't say things like that and not expect them to be offended; nor is it very right of you to dismiss their feelings if they do happen to be offended.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
    It may not be "real" to you; but that doesn't mean we cannot or should not be considerate of that person's feelings.
    I am a considerate person. If you mean to say something negative, say it. I don't dish out what I can't take.

For many; their kinship with what it is they identify with is on a spiritual or religion-like level.
    I also deny religion and spirituality and will gladly debate anyone who embraces either concept. But that's not the point, is it? The point is that I am obligated to say what I think regardless of if it will make you feel bad.

You can't say things like that and not expect them to be offended;
    I expect you to be offended. I just won't cater to it if/when you are. That's how debates work, we don't cater to people's emotions. If you don't want people to tell you your spiritual connection to Ash Ketchum is fake, you shouldn't make a thread about it online. Simple.

nor is it very right of you to dismiss their feelings if they do happen to be offended.
    Why is it my responsibility to make ADULTS feel good about themselves? 18 and 26, these people are. They're not bloody children. Give me a break, they can handle themselves.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Honestly I'm of the opinion that if someone is disassociating so much as to identify as otherkin/fictionkin in absolute seriosuness, then they need to find the root cause of the anxieties that are causing them to use this coping mechanism.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    Hey, if you want to pretend to be a cat, fine. But do keep in mind that you have the inherent right to believe you're a cat, but on the reverse side of that grimy coin is the ugly fact that everyone else can look at your opinion and beliefs and call it... you know, shit.

You can believe what you wish to believe, but trying to or forcing someone to accept your beliefs is the same reason you don't like the bible thumper, the massage peddler at the mall, the car salesman, etc.

Me? I don't think you were a cat, but I accept that you want to believe that, but I still think it's nonsense.

So personally, no. Otherkin is a ridiculous thing in my opinion and shouldn't be enforced or professionally backed by any official in any capacity.

But hey, go chasing mice if you want to. Just don't try and fit inside a box okay? I doubt you'll fit.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Someone being Otherkin isn't simply "crazy". It's different. I actually disagree with any implication that it can come with any mental health issues; even if it is commonly enough found with them. Sorry; you're just gonna have to back that implication and claim up with a citation or else it's just slinging mud. All things considered if it were what you claim it to be, a coping mechanism, it would be a hell of a lot more healthy of one than some can be...especially if it didn't lead to harmful behaviors

CoffeeDrink has at least a bit more sensible, if dismissive form of reply. :3

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    OP basically admitted last page that this was a coping mechanism. So. Anyway. I don't give a damn why you do to cope with your life, but I hope that people are able to recognize their defenses for what they are and address the underlying issues so that they can come out happier and healthier. These underlying issues may range from dysphoria to a mental health disorder to simply "it makes me feel better to think I'm something else", but whatever it is, I would like people to be self-aware. Beyond that, coping mechanisms are found in literally everyone. Just be aware of what it is, for what it is.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
    i mean. i don't really think it's a coping mechanism. i still think i'm catkin. i think i am because i think i am. that's that. i do have some issues going on irl, but i don't associate those with my otherkin. being a cat because i want to be free and not criticized may sound like it is associated with my irl issues, and i'm sorry if i made it seem that way or that i confirmed that it is a coping mechanism but it's not. i still think i'm catkin.

i have other coping mechanisms anyways for my issues

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
    Tone it down. There's no need for this thread to stoop to insulting people's intelligence or otherwise name calling. You don't have to agree with each other but you do have to be civil. I'm not going to warn anyone again.

Judging by how vague this is I'm going to assume that I haven't done any of the above. In fact, the closest I've done to the above is say that I would think less of your intelligence if I found out you identified as 'otherkin' or 'fictionkin'. I don't think that's unreasonable, I think that's an expectation people should have when they tell people they were wolves in their past lives.

I didn't call them idiots. I made quite clear I don't dislike them or think they're stupid. The point is that if I hear somebody identifies as otherkin I'm going to assume less of their intelligence than if I didn't hear that. That doesn't mean I'll actually believe they are stupid and act on that. It's just guessing in my head as to what kind of person I'm talking to here. I think I've been pretty consistent with that belief in this thread.

It'd be intellectually dishonest of me to say "I think identifying as part dragon is completely sensible". But what I'm getting from this post is that saying it's not sensible is an insult to someone's intelligence. You must understand that it impossible to express any kind of disapproval towards the otherkin community without someone thinking you're insulting them. This proves that, I've said nothing overtly offensive as far as I can see. The only problem people seem to have is my "your belief is unhealthy and insensible" stance, which I can't exactly change on a whim. So I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do here. Jump on the 'you do you' bandwagon? Be politically correct enough to leave the debate forum unscratched? A little clarification would go a long way, because I've not really seen anyone be especially rude in this thread. You seem to assume we all know how much we're complete tools. I think I'm being perfectly fair.

Wouldn't it be great now if the comment wasn't even addressing me at all?

i think i am because i think i am.
    That's not your reason. That's not a reason at all. A reason would be "Sometimes I want to crawl on four legs and play with my cat". That would be a very bad reason, but it would be a reason.

i want to be free and not criticized
    You can be free while still being criticised. In fact, I would argue you're more free the more you're criticised. Free from yourself, in a way. I feel like for most of us, our brains are a bit like prisons. We have these beliefs we build up for so long and the more you block out criticism the closer you get to swallowing the key. Some ideas are bad. Everyone, even myself, has these bad ideas that we don't necessarily think are bad until we think more about it and hear more people's opinions. Then you replace those bad ideas with good ideas, and replace those good ideas with better ideas, and you carry on and eventually you're a better person overall.

Inspirational quotes of the day:

"Truth sounds like hate to those who hate truth" - Proverbs 9:7-8
    "The only sure weapon against bad ideas is better ideas" - Alfred Whitney Griswold

Last edited:
    Back