• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Otherkin

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Perpetuating the belief that you are something you are not and even really can not be (fictionkin) because it makes you feel safe/secure/free is most definitely a coping mechanism, and due to the fact that it goes hand in hand with otherkin in most cases is indicative that being otherkin is a way to cope as well.

I'm not going to dismiss the idea of reincarnation-based memories entirely because that's something completely different, and almost unrelated to this particular case. However, even if the memories are reincarnation-based, it doesn't make sense to me that one would believe they still ARE what they had been, in some way. Rather, the knowledge that one has reincarnated should be there, but not affecting current behaviors because we have the cognitive function to recognize that we are not anything but human.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
    Okay just to confirm: to be [something]kin is to be that [something] in a previous life - that's it?

Usually, yes. More broadly, it just means that they identify as either partially or fully that [something], but in a human body. Kind of like transgenderism. Except, of course, transgenderism is backed by science and I wouldn't dare slight it.

Years

You're welcome to criticise the belief, but you are not welcome to criticise the person. Saying "I think less of your intelligence" is a personal attack not an argument against the belief itself regardless of how you spin it and that behaviour won't be tolerated.

By the same token, nobody should be unaccepting of your viewpoint either and should also treat you in the same manner.

Is that clearer?

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
    You're welcome to criticise the belief, but you are not welcome to criticise the person. Saying "I think less of your intelligence" is a personal attack not an argument against the belief itself regardless of how you spin it and that behaviour won't be tolerated.

By the same token, nobody should be unaccepting of your viewpoint either and should also treat you in the same manner.

Is that clearer?

Is it clearer? Yes. Do I agree I made a personal attack? Not really. Will I follow the ruling anyway? Yeah, it's not unreasonable.

Carry on with your thread all, nothing to see here.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    Coping mechanisms can be unhealthy if you're using them to escape real issues rather than tackling them. And that's why saying 'oh, well this person isn't hurting themselves or anyone else, so just leave them alone' is a dangerous and ignorant way to view things, especially if you want to help them.

Exactly this. Now, I know I said I wouldn't really care, which is true for the most part, but if someone began actually living like a cat i.e. shitting in a cat box, then I would have serious doubts as to whether that person was in their correct frame of mind.

So, just for some comparisons that people may not draw themselves: alcohol, hard drugs, adrenaline, tobacco, food, unwise purchases, theft, sex, prescription drugs, hoarding, collecting useless knick knacks, ignoring reality, and a million other things. So, coping mechanisms can become habit which then become a negative factor in someone's life. Coping mechanisms should be weaned off eventually and not perpetuated to the point of habit.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
    Exactly this. Now, I know I said I wouldn't really care, which is true for the most part, but if someone began actually living like a cat i.e. ****ting in a cat box, then I would have serious doubts as to whether that person was in their correct frame of mind.

So, just for some comparisons that people may not draw themselves: alcohol, hard drugs, adrenaline, tobacco, food, unwise purchases, theft, sex, prescription drugs, hoarding, collecting useless knick knacks, ignoring reality, and a million other things. So, coping mechanisms can become habit which then become a negative factor in someone's life. Coping mechanisms should be weaned off eventually and not perpetuated to the point of habit.

Hey guys. See this guy? I like this guy.

Coping mechanisms are a natural result of something that is difficult to cope with. But you need to cope properly. This coping mechanism seems to just be a form of denial, which, hopefully, can be the first stage of acceptance. In other words, if you feel out of touch with your body, that's a problem. If you feel out of touch with your species, that's a far bigger problem. All logic and reasoning leads to the conclusion that it is impossible for a human to be even partly non-human.

What does this mean? All of you owe it to yourselves, as intelligent human beings, to do your research. Assume you're wrong because that should be the default stance. Don't just default to believing you're a manticore - you could have an actual mental problem that you should be resolving. This is a case of mental health. The more people refuse to research this and simply believe what they feel, the more accepted this becomes and the more people will subscribe to it on a whim. I'm actually rather curious as to how one identifies as a dragon in the first place.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    Personally, I have found coping mechanisms ineffective. When I had anxiety and depression, I tried distracting myself from how I was feeling. All it did was stave the anxiety away temporarily. It wasnt until I dealt with my anxiety did I feel better and get over it. Basically coping made my problems worse.

This can be applied to kins as well. If you are kin to cope with how you are feeling, you are only going to continue to need the coping. Like an alcoholic with alcohol. It feels good temporarily and you will only need more of it. Its better to have someone help you work through your problems, (I had a counselor) but a close friend, family, teacher- anyone can help.

I understand this is very circumstantial, but this is my advice and it worked for me. If I ever have problems with anxiety or depression in the future, I will try my hardest not to use my go-to coping method (distraction). I am going to do something about it.

Back