• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overated gen 1 pokemon

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
    You can see just about every pokemon In 1 game? So why is Pikachu so bad.

when the anime first came out Pikachu was there pokemon all the little kids wanted, Because they saw ash battling through emotions with it and then eventually come to love him

They've been together in every season even when the other pokemon change that ash uses.

For me the biggest over rated pokemon Had to be Gyarados, I hated the thing It would be given silly stats and could learn crap like thunderbolt? It's a freaking Water,Flying! They can't learn thunderbolt!
    It would annoy me on multi games having to battle one before I had an Electric type because they would clean me everytime... :\

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Charizard. Charizard. Charizard. The fan boys piss me off. "Charizard can beat everything!"

and I don't know how Dragonite is overrated. Until Gen 5, I've only found a handful of other people other than myself who liked the thing.

ben cousins

Backspacer
    Years
    Charizard. Charizard. Charizard. The fan boys piss me off. "Charizard can beat everything!"

and I don't know how Dragonite is overrated. Until Gen 5, I've only found a handful of other people other than myself who liked the thing.
    LOL yer he's fanboys are annoying

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    For me the biggest over rated pokemon Had to be Gyarados, I hated the thing It would be given silly stats and could learn crap like thunderbolt? It's a freaking Water,Flying! They can't learn thunderbolt!
    It would annoy me on multi games having to battle one before I had an Electric type because they would clean me everytime... :\
    I agree. Plus, Gyarados is heavy on attack, but up until gen IV, when he got the fangs and waterfall was physical, most of his moves were special.

c l e a r

Transparent Darkness
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2018
    Charizard and Mewtwo, people only say they are the best since these are the only ones that they know.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Surprised not more people are saying the "Tank Dragon," Dragonite. I mean come on, you'll need an RPG and that might not even put him down! :)

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Does actually being strong make you overrated? Just because Dragonite's a real asset in battles doesn't make it overrated. It's like saying the Green Bay Packers are overrated because they're undefeated and have a great roster with amazing depth. Or like saying Manny Pacquiao is overrated because he's not a heavyweight.

By my understanding, overrating means being held in high regard despite not being that great. First gen Pokemon that commonly fall into that list? Charizard and Pikachu.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I don't really think people here get what the term 'overrated' means, regarding Dragonite? It's used to describe something that gets more hype and credit than it's actually worth. Dragonite IS worth all that because he is extremely strong and he is a pseudo-legendary for a reason and it is not being overcredited. Pikachu on the other hand is because it isn't even all that special or strong, or hard to get. And about designs - you can't exactly call a design 'overrated' because it's subjective, but the strength of a Pokémon is objective.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
    Many of you seem to be judging it based on how the Pokémon holds up competitively. I don't really agree with that. When that does test the usefulness of a Pokémon to it's fullest, that's not the only thing to a Pokémon. Uniqueness and design are important elements to a Pokémon too.

First off, some one said Eevee is overrated only because it can evolve multiple ways - Have you actually used Eevee before? Vaporeon is a pretty awesome as an HP tank, and Jolteon isn't a half bad sweeper. Eevee isn't really "useless", just not up to par with some of the more specialized Pokémon out there. However, Eevee was also the first Pokémon to have a split evolution as it is, not to mention it's, at least in my opinion, amongst the cutest of all Pokémon. So both competitively and non competitively, I'd say it can live up to its hype.

Pikachu however... While Pikachu is cute and all, being the mascot of the series has made him a bit more popular than he's worth. The light ball tries to give him a fighting chance, but at best he's a low-grade sweeper... Sorry Pikachu, overrated.

Charizard is cool, but he's a bit overrated too.

Jigglypuff is honestly overrated too.

Each sentence gets shorter.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Many of you seem to be judging it based on how the Pokémon holds up competitively. I don't really agree with that. When that does test the usefulness of a Pokémon to it's fullest, that's not the only thing to a Pokémon. Uniqueness and design are important elements to a Pokémon too.

First off, some one said Eevee is overrated only because it can evolve multiple ways - Have you actually used Eevee before? Vaporeon is a pretty awesome as an HP tank, and Jolteon isn't a half bad sweeper. Eevee isn't really "useless", just not up to par with some of the more specialized Pokémon out there. However, Eevee was also the first Pokémon to have a split evolution as it is, not to mention it's, at least in my opinion, amongst the cutest of all Pokémon. So both competitively and non competitively, I'd say it can live up to its hype.

Um...you mentioned that its fighting ability isn't everything and then disagreed with my opinion on Eevee based on fighting ability, lol.

In my opinion Eevee is overrated because people are obsessed with it to a point that overrides its actual good qualities. Yes, it's cute. There are dozens upon dozens of cute Pokemon. Eevee gets mentioned in every "next generation" speculation thread ("OMG I WANT GHOST EEVEE"), and out of all Pokemon is one of the most 'spun-off' on art sites with the constant imaginings and re-imaginings of each Eeveelution. It's the only Gen I Pokemon that will consistently be mentioned in the future of Pokemon in every generation outside of Pikachu, because everyone wants Eevee to have 17 evolutions.

While you may not agree with my assessment of Eevee, that doesn't mean that you're more knowledgeable on it than me or that I've never used it (because obviously Eevee is so amazing that if someone is against it, they obviously have just never used it). It's an opinion.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    I would say Charizard, but to be honest when I see so many people here saying how overrated it is, I tend to no longer think it's overrated since there are so many people who don't think it's overrated. It evens out, at least I think.
    Even though I love Eevee and Gengar (a bit obsessed with them as many of you know), I'll admit they're overrated. I only say Gengar because, despite being my favourite Pokémon and, in my opinion, the most powerful Ghost-type from Generation IV onward, it doesn't really seem that good in the first two generations considering its lacklustre special movepool and lack of special STABs. I know it's always done well competitively but I think most of its popularity in Generation I came from its being the only Ghost-type.

Eevee just simply is too popular. Not in the sense of I want it to be less popular but more like I'm sure non-Eevee fans are probably feeling suffocated.
    Rhydon and Golem might have been a bit overrated, but I can't be sure since I'm not completely aware of their standing in red/blue.
    Chansey I find to have been overrated before Blissey was created, only to be replaced by Blissey as the resident overrated pink cute annoying lovely adorable beautiful pink specially-bulky attackless HP tank.

Pikachu is not overrated, let me say. I've never seen anyone ever running around spouting how great Pikachu is competitively, or even mention on the side that it's a strong fighter. From what I've seen most people don't even like it.
    I wish I could mention Generation II Pokémon here. I would have so much more to say.
    Jigglypuff is honestly overrated too.
    I don't even . . .
    I'm pretty sure I've never met a single person who has told me they like Jigglypuff.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    I would like to raise the topic of how overrated Tropius is as an HM slave. He can learn Cut, Fly, Strength, Rock Smash, and Flash. 1 of these moves (Cut), isn't even required for RSE iirc. 2 of them in addition to Cut (Rock Smash and Flash) are required (if you can call flash required) before you can catch Tropius. I can't speak for everyone, because I know my way around Victory Road and Granite Cave, but I would think that if you needed Flash, you would need it for both, so you would have a Flashing Pokemon before. As for Rock Smash, its required to get Tropius. Seems like you would just find a slave at the beginning of the game.

The last two moves, Fly and Strength, are actually really good moves (especially Fly, being the strongest flying type move that more than like 5 pokemon can learn). I usually have both moves on my team. Fly usually goes to my Pelliper (he's not strong at all, but it gets the job done), and Strength to my second strongest Physical attacker (my strongest has the best moves, [Earthquake, Brick Break, Iron Tail maybe]), so there's usually slots open for my second strongest for Strength, which again, isn't a bad move. It has 80 Base Power, and only 3 types resist/nullify it, and Rock, Steel, and Ghost types aren't that common in RSE.

Tl;dr, I think Tropius is overrated as an HM slave.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    Gen 1 pokemon are generally "overrated" because they've been there for the longest time, espeically considering Charizard appeals to many (appearance, questionable competitive ability but has gotten bit better with Gen V), and Pikachu, because it's the mascot of Pokemon franchise in general.

Spoiler:

Years
    Charizard comes to mind immediately. Guys really do love the cool flaming dragons, I suppose. P: I never liked it at all. I do like Eevee, though, and it's probably up there in terms of "overratedness" for girls.

So all in all, Charizard for guys and Eevee for girls.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    I hate people saying everything from gen 1 is overrated. Who rates pokemon like Onix or Magneton as high at all? Many of the pokemon in the first gen when they came out were better than others. They had to make the game have varying types and levels of pokemon. When the new pokemon came out, I feel that they thought "well, we need to make them a little better than the first ones, or everyone will just use the original 150 all the time. We want to promote the game, and to do that, we're going to promote the Pokemon that come with the game.

Some people may think that a few Pokemon are overrated, but for a Pokemon to be overrated, some people have to rate it highly. And I just don't see many people rating Pokemon like Onix or Magneton that highly.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I hate people saying everything from gen 1 is overrated. Who rates pokemon like Onix or Magneton as high at all? Many of the pokemon in the first gen when they came out were better than others. They had to make the game have varying types and levels of pokemon. When the new pokemon came out, I feel that they thought "well, we need to make them a little better than the first ones, or everyone will just use the original 150 all the time. We want to promote the game, and to do that, we're going to promote the Pokemon that come with the game.

I think that comes from the fact that people won't take off their nostalgia goggles and continue to say generation I had the best Pokemon and knock every generation after it. It certainly has to stem from that. So when people say "generation I is the best," it encompasses ALL Pokemon in generation I, hence why other fans that don't have their goggles on see them as overrated.

Back