• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PG 17, Kanto]: All These Regular People...

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@XWeru

Omnipresent Authority Figure
Years
  • What if there were a group of people, friends all, grown up together in a normal neighbourhood in a normal town, were given normal pokémon and had a normal journey? What if these people travelled at a mediocre pace and trained their pokémon acceptably well, having the occasional adventure and reaching the pokémon league in the average amount of years? After a couple of opponents they'd lose, but take heart and return again, and again, once they'd taken a few years more to train. Of course there'd always be someone better, more experienced, with stronger pokémon. What if these normal people finally gave up, got jobs, worked themselves up from minimum wage to a decent living and had children? There are a bunch more 'what if's there, but the point of this little summary is that you'd have a story that - if tasteful - would be completely uninteresting (or?). The chroniclers of history - and the morning news - don't care about any average Joe. Stories are written about interesting people!

This is the story about three friends who go on a pokémon journey together - a trio of fantastic individuals whose friendship is such an amazing coincidence, you'd think it was the result of some horribly contrived plot. One, a telekinetic progeny, the equal of Sabrina of Saffron when it comes to sheer power, one the heir of the massive Armitage conglomerate, and one - unknown to everyone else - the child of Giovanni, leader of Team Rocket. Each with his strengths and weaknesses, these three children have gotten along well throughout their lives and now, as their tenth birthdays have all recently passed, these best of buddies have decided to go on a pokémon journey together. As it just so happens, they've all grown up in Pallet town, the clean town of new beginnings, since their parents wanted them out of the way of kidnappers, rival gangs, newspapers, child molesters and other assorted dangers. As such, they're all headed together this morning to the lab of one professor Samuel Oak to receive their first pokémon - whether they so much as told their parents about this, I'll leave unsaid - and take the first steps on their journey to become champions. However, it is not a journey without peril they face; with the exception of Giovanni's child, these youngsters are known to the world, and three kids alone in the world easily fall prey to the schemes of greedy men, and - surprise, surprise - Team Rocket don't have the copyright on stealing, money-grubbing or being plain nasty.

Meta-Universe Explanation

Okay, to summarize it up real quick, this'll be one of those games where I play the environment and you people play yourselves your characters. You may also choose whether or not to play your pokémon - if you want to add an increased element of excitement (or whatever) I can play them for you. 'You give the orders, I tell you what happens' sort of thing, yeah? There will be no shinies, there might eventually be legendaries if you really think you need them, and there will be no natures - battles will be entirely free-form and your pokémon have as much personality as you do. Again, you or I can decide their personalities.

I'll only be needing three role players for this, though I might be open to suggestions if I get a bunch of really good applications. You three will play the kids, duh. Like Ash in the series, these kids will have little or nothing in common with actual ten year-olds, so feel free to play them however you want. This role play will be set as exactly the same time as the first season of the series - and only the first 151 pokémon will be around. The clever reader might have put two and two together and figured out who snagged the regular starters before Ash got his thumb out (yes, it was you). Adding another two, you might have guessed which starters you have to choose from. I wish there was a better way, but it's first come, first serve with the starters - that is to say, first to make a complete sign-up. No reservations.

I'd like it if you, when picking starter pokémon, picked a first, second and third-hand choice; I want the three best signups, regardless of pokémon, and thus I'd like a ready-made system to choose who gets what in the end. Also, don't worry too much about which pokémon you get - you won't fall behind for switching out your entire team later on. This is a story, not a competition. Likewise, don't try to upstage your fellow role players or hog the spotlight. Upstaging or hogging the spotlight from your fellow characters, however, is completely fine.

If you didn't get it before, the twist to this seemingly bland adventure is the fact that you're all tremendously famous and powerful. The rich kid has the financial power of Daddy Warbucks, the psychic can wreck buildings with its brain, and Giovanni's son - aside from being far from impoverished - is only a phone call away from the world's largest gathering of thugs, villains, scoundrels and various other disreputable people, with disreputable skills of every orientation. Of course, the game wouldn't be any fun without some plot-enriching...

Restrictions:

As the rich kid, you can get anything you point at. A lot of people want a slice of that, and aren't afraid of kidnapping you. Aside from the obviously unpleasant interruption in your journey, you have something else to worry about - your parents accepted your decision only grudgingly, and if you make big enough headlines, they may well decide to bring you back home. Your picture isn't in the paper yet, but a lot of nasty people know your name, and shedding too much money around will attract their attention right quick.

As the psychic, you're bound to face prejudice and fear if you flaunt your abilities to often. Your powers aren't necessarily subtle, and people will eventually catch on to you if you start levelling cityscapes. Your telekinetic abilities are powerful but, being a human, you don't have the reflexes to stop a speeding bullet from turning your brain into play dough - so don't step on the wrong toes. Additionally, your powers require some concentration, and you need to be able to see your target - you can fly, but you might tear yourself apart if you're not careful. Additionally, your telepathic powers aren't impressive at all, and you completely lack teleportation and telescience abilities. Even such a thing as nightfall decreases your power.

As the rocket child, you have to keep your identity secret. Rivals in crime would love to have you as a bargaining chip with the Team Rocket kingpin, and regular people aren't likely to want to have anything to do with you if they find out. It's far from certain whether you have even told your two friends who your father is. Your real strength will always be your ability to call in unseen aid from the Team, and as such you'll never get half the recognition of your friends. Rather, you're likely to encounter a lot of pity and questions about how it feels to be a regular person around such people as your friends. Worst of all, however - what if your friends and the Team don't get along?

Unlike your choice in starting pokémon, your choice of character is going to have a profound effect on your, uh, character. Therefore, these are not first come, first serve, but determined entirely by the quality of your application. And, well, let me express myself like this: if your signature is larger than your application, forget about it. I want people with a sense of verbosity, a keen literary acumen, and all that other smartie stuff. Most of all, though, I want people who are less interested in reading 'you beat another trainer', than in making this an interesting story to read. Work with me, here. Your characters want to do this the old-fashioned way - they want to make this an adventure of their own, without the squads of bodyguards and tiger tanks they realistically could afford. Whether they want to eat lobster and sleep in five-star hotels, however, I leave up to you.

Oh, and while I am indeed playing the environment, it's fine for the players to take over occasionally, if it helps move the plot along. Be tasteful and use common sense, and I'll be flexible and lenient in return.

Application template:

Name:
    Appearance: (Do not use a picture).
    Background:
    Starters: 1st:, 2nd:, 3rd:

It's a pretty small template compared to most, but we already know their age, and if you can't get your character's gender across after giving both a name and an appearance, you've got a problem somewhere (either that, or you're really good). Personality isn't required, actually, since I'm expecting that to get across in the actual role play, and I'd prefer it if you put extra effort into appearance and background instead. Hell, many backgrounds give you all the personality info you need, anyway. Role playing samples are appreciated, but not necessary.

If I've forgotten anything, please do tell.

Last edited:

The Instant Classic

Hoenn has more water than Africa
    Years
  • Name: Jason Reo
    Appearance:
    Jason stands at about 5 ft 7 medium build with jet black hair.
    Jason loves to mingle about with his hair to him its very important.
    He likes to keep his hair spiked up all the time and even caries a tub of jell with him all the time.
    A pair of Jeans with a white shirt would be Jason's party outfit.
    For travailing and other things Jason would take out his black track suit with it would go his favorite piece of clothing his McKenzie black and white jacket!
    And to top all that off he would put on a pair of trainers that go with the whole outfit.
    Background: Jason has always been a fan of pokemon battles and dreams of being a battling master.
    When he was 7 Jason's parents and himself went on a holiday to the Hoenn region and to visit Jason's uncle.

While there his uncle recommended that Jason's parents should take him to the rustbro trainer school although since he wasent 10 he could only learn a thew basics of being a trainer e.g: what a pokemon center is.
    But when it was time to go back to Kanto Jason said that he wanted to stay in Hoenn to continue training school and so it was arranged that Jason would stay with his uncle in Hoenn.
    3 years later Jason had completed his studies and was ready to go back to Kanto to start his journey.
    Starters: 1st: Bulbasaur 2nd: Diglet 3rd: Krabby

And no i dont think you forgotten anything

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
  • Reserving a spot for "The Rich Kid" ^_^

EDIT:
    Just realized the no reservations >_>

Working on my SU as we speak

EDIT2:
    Here is my SU ^_^

Name: Johnathan "Johnny" Tremain
    Appearance: Johnathan, or Johnny as he likes to be called, is a top of the line individual. He only wears the priciest name brand clothes and the most expensive cologne. His hair is a deep caramel brown which is usually gelled down onto his skin, which is the perfect tone of golden brown with not a blemish to speak of. His eyes radiate a bright green color which stick out like a sore thumb based on his average attire. That attire which I was just speaking of, consists of a name-brand white blazer and matching white striped pants. Further down are his shoes which are genuine Miltank leather that cost his father a pretty penny.

From time to time, namely when Johnny wants to be a little bit more casual, he will slip on a coat that is lined with the finest Furret fur available. To match his casual coat are a pair of blue jeans. But not any blue jeans of course. It has to be blue jeans from the biggest name brands on the market, or Johnny refuses to even cast a glance at them. Completing his alternate attire are a pair of brown suede shoes that Johnny wears to take afternoon walks in.

Background: Johnny was born into one of the richest families in Kanto. He has been spoiled his whole life; getting whatever he wants, whenever he wants it. But the thing about this is, Johnny quickly discards whatever he obtains; as he gets bored easily. The Tremain's backyard is filled with Ponyta that Johnny wanted so badly, for example. His room was filled with so many things he didn't even touch. From the plush toys of every Pokemon that has been discovered to "Professor Oaks Collection of Pokemon Poetry" Volumes I-XV.

During his early childhood years, Johnny was the envy of all his friends. You see, most people in Pallet Town were lower middle class; whereas the Tremain's were an exception. Everyday at school, Johnny would arrive in his families extravagant car; while the other children walked. At lunch, Johnny would practically a three-course meal while the others would eat apples and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Johnny soon learned that the children around school had developed a hate for him. They disliked his snotty attitude and how he flaunted his wealth around. But of course, Johnny wasn't fazed by these events. He had everything he could ever want, right? Well, that's what he thought.

As the years went on, Johnny's life grew considerably dim. He had no friends to speak of; just his riches. Sure, he could buy anything he wanted; but that certainly didn't fill the empty feeling Johnny had. He wanted a true companion. Someone to play with and share secrets with. He didn't care who it was. He just wanted someone besides the endless stacks of money that kept him company. He tried his best to reunite with some old classmates, but they all had an on-going hate for Johnny. They didn't think he had changed one bit since grade school. They still saw him as the snobby, "I'm better than you" kind of guy that they had such a distaste for back in the day. Johnny was hurt by the rejections that his former peers gave him. He hasn't really recovered since; giving him a rather shy and closed in personality towards new faces.

There were two children that Johnny developed a relationship with though. They had also lived in Pallet Town and attended school with Johnny. They didn't pay much attention to him during school. To them, Johnny was just another face in the sea of students. Johnny hadn't learned their names as of yet, but he decided to try to become acquainted with them. The first child lived not to far down from Johnny and spoke of their father running a big "business" and not having very much time to spend with his own child. Johnny offered that the neglected child spend the day at his house. The two spent that whole day playing with Johnny's toys and Pokemon. Johnny had never felt such an emotion before. He was happier than he had ever been, and he wished it to stay that way. They were friends ever since.

The second child was someone who Johnny wasn't as keen to meeting at first. The kid had a something strange about them. It seemed as if they watched what they were doing at every second, making sure they didn't do anything wrong. It seemed like this strange child was hiding something big. But, nevertheless, Johnny made an attempt to befriend the child. The two found that they had a few interests in common, and began to play together every day.

Eventually, Johnny and the two other children would play together. They were inseparable. It seemed as if Johnny had filled that empty void in his life that he had been wanting filled for so long. And he was happy; so very happy.

Johnny has taken a recent interest in Pokemon battling and training. He would take the family Growlithe out and battle the local Pidgeys with her. The battles provided such an adrenaline rush for Johnny; he knew that he wanted to be a Pokemon trainer, but had no clue how to start his journey. It wasn't until recently that Johnny noticed an advertisment on the television for up and coming Pokemon Trainers to visit Professor Oak for a special starter Pokemon. Johnny begged his parents day after day to allow him to go on this journey. They denied his every request until one day, they just gave in. They allowed him to take on this journey, but said they would force him to come back at any time they see fit. Johnny graciously agreed to the proposition and headed into his room to pack for his journey.

Starters: 1st: Squirtle, 2nd: Charmander, 3rd: Bulbasaur

If you need any RP samples or need me to work on anything in the SU, just tell me :]

Last edited:

M@XWeru

Years
  • Jason Reo
    Declined.

I guess I'll explain.
    1. Your appearance is way short, at a serious lack of detail and misspelt in places.
    2. Even though I didn't state that your background isn't supposed to be all-bold, it still looks horrible. That, and it has the same problems your appearance did.
    3. You didn't so much as state which of the three kids you're supposed to be.
    4. Your first, second and third-hand choices are supposed to be from the three Kanto starters. This was hinted at in the intro... which I wonder if you actually read.

Working on my SU as we speak
    Carry on, citizen. C:

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
  • My post has been edited with my SU

I must say, it's not my best; but I was rushing myself due to only three spots being open ^^'

If anything needs work, just let me know :]

M@XWeru

Years
  • Well, it's not exactly overwhelmingly large - I think you could have gone into more depth on the background, at least. You probably won't need to hurry - it's not first come, as I said, and there's not exactly a rush of traffic in this thread.

I'm debating whether or not I'm fine with the Miltank and Furret parts, since those aren't supposed to be available. On the other hand, getting stuff that isn't available should be exactly what you can do. Okay, those stay.

Your post is good, but not brilliant.

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
  • Well, it's not exactly overwhelmingly large - I think you could have gone into more depth on the background, at least. You probably won't need to hurry - it's not first come, as I said, and there's not exactly a rush of traffic in this thread.

I'm debating whether or not I'm fine with the Miltank and Furret parts, since those aren't supposed to be available. On the other hand, getting stuff that isn't available should be exactly what you can do. Okay, those stay.

Your post is good, but not brilliant.

I didn't even think about that ><
    I'll change it to Tauros and...Something else xD

Yea, I know there's not much traffic here. But I'm a rushfull person xD
    Anyway, I'll fix it up ^_^

M@XWeru

Years
  • Emilee A.D.Knight AKA Em

Wrong. You need to read the previous posts more closely.

First of all, I want more text. Second, too many of your sentences begin with 'she' or 'her', which makes for a very monotone reading experience.

You have to convince me of your ability to write an interesting, detailed post. Thus far, I am not convinced. Also, you missed which pokémon you can choose for starters. Reread, rewrite.

.Sublime: Better, though I still think there's more you could have done - elaborating on the different toys he's thrown away, perhaps touching a bit on how he found two people he did get along with, etc.

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
  • .Sublime: Better, though I still think there's more you could have done - elaborating on the different toys he's thrown away, perhaps touching a bit on how he found two people he did get along with, etc.

Ah that's right. The other two trainers.
    Alright. I'll give it another go :]

King!

better
    Years
  • Excuse me, what might I add in Background?
    Once I know, I'll start working on my SU :)

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
    Years

This looks interesting...

Name: Adan Giacomo Verducci

Appearance:
    Giacomo (as he likes to be called) is an average-height ten year old kid. Neither too short nor tall, he bears some physical similarities to his father. His hair is straight and brown, and he keeps its size neck-length, and sleeks it back with gel like his father. He is fairly handsome for a ten year old, his eyes, his nose, his mouth, and even his skin tone, were all inherited from Giovanni, his father. As a matter of fact, whenever he asks his butler (Ricardo; the closest man to the criminal mastermind) about his father, he'll reply: "You are the spitting image of him Master Verducci; all you inherited from your mother is your kind expression, and heart". Besides his Giovanni-like features, he is vaguely overweight, and has a slight birthmark on his stomach underneath his bellybutton.

Usually, his clothes consist of expensive collared shirts and vests. He personally likes extravagant colors so he'll match pink shirts with white vests, or sometimes even lime green shirts with brown vests. Even though the combinations he uses might not always be good, he is known in school for his personal style, and therefore doesn't mind about HOW it looks. He also wears a silver rosary around his neck and a ring in his left, middle finger. He wears black slacks for the most part, and tailor-made leather shoes. Whenever he is camping, or out having a picnic, he tends to wear silk shirts, shorts, and tennis shoes.

Background:
    The whereabouts of his mom are unknown, he doesn't know if he has any siblings, and his dad is head of Kanto's largest criminal organization: Team Rocket. Isolated from his family, Giacomo lives only with his dad's personal assistant and butler: Ricardo. Most people in Kanto take him for an orphan, and most of them pity him. He hates it when people pity him. He has only met his family as a baby,and doesn't hold any memories of them except for a few pictures which he needs to keep hidden… he never truly had a family. Instead, Ricardo (again, the butler) has tried all in his power to let 'young master Verducci' live a life as 'normal' as possible.

Some of his hobbies include playing soccer (calico) as a goalie, sketching landscapes and Pokémon, and simply hanging out with Pokémon. His father has a small 'ranch' as well where Pokémon with strong capabilities are bred for Team Rocket, and Giacomo loves coming to this place. The ranch has mostly only Poison and Earth-type Pokémon, which is where he gets the interest for these types from.

Not much has happened to him as you'd expect would happen due to him being the heir to an evil syndicate, and as a matter of fact, though he knows he has bodyguards who will put their lives on the line for him, he doesn't really KNOW why, or what they do besides caring for his safety. Giacomo is pretty oblivious about his dad's position believing him to be the CEO of a large importing/exporting organization, and is therefore completely unaware that his bodyguards are actually medium-high ranked officials of Team Rocket. Being of Italian descent, he truly has a way with the girls at school, and is the only kid to have developed an interest for girls so far in school. A big party-thrower, he has many friends in school, but his best friends are 'special', just like him, and they are prepared to go on the best journey ever experienced!

Starters: 1st: Bulbasaur, 2nd: Squirtle, 3rd: Charmander

Last edited:

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
  • Hey, are there any places left? If so, let me know. Thanks =D

I'll get working on an SU if there are any places left.

M@XWeru

Years
  • I wish these discussions could've been kept in a separate thread. :\
    Anyway, I'm not going to choose who gets accepted tonight, whatever happens.

.Sublime, you might have taken too much freedom in describing the other kids, but I'll leave that up to their players. Whatever they write about their own backgrounds overrides what you've written - understood?

Serene: all the places are technically open. The best application for a given character gets the role. No one has applied for the psychic yet.

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
  • I wish these discussions could've been kept in a separate thread. :\
    Anyway, I'm not going to choose who gets accepted tonight, whatever happens.

.Sublime, you might have taken too much freedom in describing the other kids, but I'll leave that up to their players. Whatever they write about their own backgrounds overrides what you've written - understood?

Eh, true.
    I'll wait to see what they write, and edit accordingly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back