• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pikachu's a REALLY good friend of mine....

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
  • Of course it would be illegal. Moneys are "humanoid" creatures, but it's taboo to mate with them. A Lucario/Gardevoir would be even worse because they share absolutely no genes with the human race.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • That's completely different. Those are MORE INTELLIGENT species, but they're not sentient.

And if you try to say that there are no sentient pokemon, I will kick you. There are pokemon of equal or even above human intelligence, you know...
    OKAY OKAY

Define sentient? All animals are conscious. They have their own senses. They have their own feelings and are alive.

Why are all your points related to the intelligence of Pokemon?
    ohai if you are smarter than me you have permission to make eggs with me! :)

dream's-epilogue

Worthless
    Years
  • Alright, here's the deal.

A pokemonXhuman relationship can EXIST if:
    1) The pokemon is intelligent enough to understand the relationship,
    2) The human possesses genuine feelings for the pokemon, and the pokemon, in return, reciprocates those feelings,
    3) The pokemon is capable of consenting to every phase of the relationship.

That's what's needed for the relationship to EXIST. Whether it actually works or not is not major; if both parties are willing to try to maintain the relationship, then said relationship, along with all of the problems it brings, is entirely their concern. This includes things like communication.

And, of course, there are some species who are simply so physically incompatible that any effort at a relationship would have to be kept platonic at best.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • So I should mate with my dog because it understands commands I give it? Yeah, ok there.

Like I stated earlier, this is a learned behaviour - the dog has been trained to become more intelligent than it would in the wild. Imagine that you had met your dog when it was 5 years old and up until then, it had been wild. Naturally, it wouldn't understand commands. However, if you have a 5 year old Pokemon, it WOULD be able to understand you because Pokemon are capable of comprehending humans from the moment they hatch (e.g. Ash's Phanpy).

However, I agree with the people who say that personxhumanoid pokemon relationships would be less taboo than personxfish pokemon or personxbird pokemon, simply because of the biological differences.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 12, 2016
    It would almost certainly be impossible for humans and pokémon to mate with each other, let alone legal, considering pokémon don't seem to mate in the same way as humans do, as they lack reproductive organs. Of course, that doesn't rule out non-reproductive "stimulation", but I doubt pokémon would desire such relations, and therefore, it would be illegal for them to occur.

I would expect romantic relationships to be social taboo, (though not illegal, as enforcing such a law would require the breach of several basic rights) but certainly not impossible, and likely not unheard of.

When it comes to marriage, I'm not really sure. I'd expect the legal status of human/pokémon marriages to differ from culture to culture. There does not appear to be any form of marriage occuring between pokémon and pokémon, so I'm unsure if pokémon would really desire marriage, and so it would probably be made illegal, so that humans could not "force" their pokémon into a marriage, which the pokémon would see as unnatural for their kind. In places pokémon/human marriage would be legal, then almost certainly pokémon would consent to marriage for the sake of their partner, even if they were not naturally inclined towards it.

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
  • Alright, here's the deal.

A pokemonXhuman relationship can EXIST if:
    1) The pokemon is intelligent enough to understand the relationship,
    2) The human possesses genuine feelings for the pokemon, and the pokemon, in return, reciprocates those feelings,
    3) The pokemon is capable of consenting to every phase of the relationship.

That's what's needed for the relationship to EXIST. Whether it actually works or not is not major; if both parties are willing to try to maintain the relationship, then said relationship, along with all of the problems it brings, is entirely their concern. This includes things like communication.

And, of course, there are some species who are simply so physically incompatible that any effort at a relationship would have to be kept platonic at best.

This is the answer.

You, sir, win 1 (one) giant delicious cookie.
    Pikachu's a REALLY good friend of mine....

Also, remember that Meowth learned to speak human language through sheer will, so communication may not be much of an issue if the Pokemon party really does love their partner.

Years
  • Yeah....let's stick with best friends. xD
    Otherwise, falling in love with a Pokemon would be...awkward. ^^:

(OMFG, THAT COOKIE'S HUGE)

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
  • I can't give specific examples, because I barely remember the anime really, but I found at some point romantic relationships between not only Pokemon and other pokemon, but Pokemon and humans were hinted at.. or at least a Pokemon feeling extremely protective or caring after the human, extremely so to the point of a love..

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
  • I don't like the idea of it, I mean like I said I've seen things hinting at it.. but all and all it's a kinda sick thing, then again some pokemon are human like but I'd consider them.. moreso "beast"

cuplampghosthunt

<--I don't know what this is
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2012
    Jynx is stated in the game to speak a language similar to humans. It is called the "humanshape" pokemon, and it's in the humanshape egg group. Then again, it has been suggested that it's just a void using psychic power to hold up clothes and lips. I'm guessing it could use its psychic power to conjure up other body parts though.

Come to think of it, there would be a lot of problems with a human-pokemon relationship. What if the pokemon had the static or flame body ability? Ouch.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a distinct possibility. i mean, pokemon breed with each other, so they could definitely have romantic relations with people. Look at meowth in the anime, this is proof that pokemon are as intelligent as people. At least in the anime. In the games I think they're just animals.

dream's-epilogue

Worthless
    Years
  • This is getting dangerously close to being too mature, and locked.

I happen to think this is an interesting topic, so I'd like to see where the concensus eventually lies.

Years
  • I think it's an interesting topic when you don't strictly think only about the psychical relationship as he said "Let's keep it clean".

I do think a romantic relationship between a human and pokemon is a possible idea, as besides the fighting you have the general trainer who sees them higher than a pet or an equal to themselves. There are many grey areas and I don't think it would be looked highly upon, but I don't think they would make illegal to have a romantic relationship with the list dream's-epilogue posted.

It'll never reach a consensus, because of those people that jump in there and say "Ew no" because they don't feel like thinking about the logistics, reasoning, and morality themselves because our forefathers said no and apparently that is reason enough. Thinking for yourself is overrated.
    There are those that have thought about it yourselves and said more than a few words, made a good argument for or opposing, and make this a more interesting topic. Non-flaming debates are always interesting.

DaiLinn

Furry for Lucario
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2010
    This IS an interesting topic. I'm sure it'd definitely be taboo from most points of view.

Of course, the possibility of a romantic relationship between a human and a pokemon is definitely there. We know that platonic love between a human and a pokemon exists, and that there are several pokemon with intelligence equal to or above the average human, so I don't see why a romantic relationship couldn't exist between the two. Humans and pokemon are also, to some extent, capable of communicating. (And of course, there are pokemon that can speak.) Is it a slippery slope? Yes. But it is viable.

Naturally, it would mean a hard road ahead of the couple, but if they were truly in love, that wouldn't really matter.

Most of my thoughts have already been stated way better than I could hahaha.

(Pffff I just realized that my title makes this post pretty fitting.)

Last edited:
    Back