• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Player saved the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Is there any difference between Wedlocke and regular Nuzlocke runs? I've heard of the term before, but don't believe I've ever looked into it, haha.

Wedlockes are Nuzlockes that have an extra twist, in this case it's having your Pokemon fight together in fixed pairs consisting of one male and one female Pokemon. The challenge itself was created by Pokemon YouTuber and website owner Marriland, and there's a video on his YouTube channel that explains the rules.

It's essentially much harder than a regular Nuzlocke due to the pairs rule.

Last edited:
    Years
    On the topic of starters and Nuzlockes, of the four Wedlockes I completed this year, I somehow had my starter make it to the end in all four - Samurott, Serperior, Greninja and Typhlosion between games. Between them, I think the one I was most satisfied to have at the end was Samurott, as I still remember how haywire things got with that one on a few occasions, like Clay and Grimsley. Either that or Greninja, as that nearly died as a Frogadier twice AND was in a no items run. The other two I did feel connections to but not as much as the Water starters.

Oh, you're Flicky! I always enjoy reading your challenges on Marriland, especially White 2 and HeartGold.

Since we're talking about challenges, let me say I am bloody horrible at them, except I magically completed a Nuzlocke on SoulSilver. My starter, Meganium, made it all the way to Clair, before it and my Gyarados were knocked out by Clair's Gyarados. Overall, it was very fun, as I even found a shiny Graveler while training in Victory Road. I only went through Johto, as the way things were going, I didn't think I could make it through Kanto, as I had 8 deaths between beating Pryce and Lance.

pkmin3033

I was debating trying a full Wedlocke Challenge, just for something to do...although I'd have girl/girl and boy/boy pairings as well, just because...and it'd probably work out that way from what I caught on the routes. xD

I've never tried challenges before, but looking at the section here has piqued my interest. A lot of them don't seem very challenging though, unless you pile restrictions on yourself...which I guess is the point? Ahaha.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    So, in Wedlocke, for each male Pokémon we have, we're supposed to be carrying a female counterpart? That sounds nice. I'll check out its full rules sometime and see how it is; if I feel like doing something extra challenging, I'll be sure to consider giving this a go.

Have any of us tried any mono-type challenges before? I was planning on doing one, and did start, but eventually cancelled, as I found it to be sort of tough to be restricting myself to only a single type. When I started, which was in Pokémon FireRed, I decided to go with electric; they couldn't be found until mid-way through the game. I should've selected either fire, water, or grass, but oh well; not a big deal.

Years
    I did a Fire mono-type on X, which was the only time I've ever used the Fennekin line. A real challenge would be trying a mono-type Nuzlocke, or harder, a mono-type Wedlocke!

Years
    So, in Wedlocke, for each male Pokémon we have, we're supposed to be carrying a female counterpart? That sounds nice. I'll check out its full rules sometime and see how it is; if I feel like doing something extra challenging, I'll be sure to consider giving this a go.

Click here to watch the video on the Wedlocke Challenge rules, courtesy of Marriland. It'll explain what you do in certain situations such as receiving gift Pokemon, dealing with legendaries, double/rotation/triple battles and using HMs to proceed.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Thanks for that, Hikari; seems interesting! I'm unsure if I'll be able to compete in such a challenge (to me, rules are sounding pretty tough to follow), but it definitely won't hurt to give it a shot.

Years
    I surely remember all those awesome starters of yours - Swing the Samurott (White), Lacerta the Serperior (White 2), Hydride the Greninja (X) and Bagpipes the Typhlosion (HeartGold). I definitely think Hydride had the most close calls because as you said, he was close to dying while still a Frogadier on two occasions.

I do wonder if your next Wedlocke will continue your "starter lives to the end" trend so I know it'll be surprising if you do lose your starter at some point there. But I surely remember that moment in White where Grimsley killed your Watchog (who you had since the very early stage of the game). I hope your next Wedlocke is something intense because I tend to read your challenge threads on Marriland.

Yeah, having the starter live to the end always feels nice. But back in early 2013, I did another Wedlocke on Platinum (which was the first I actually completed), and guess what my first death was. It was against the same thing that caused Marriland's first death in his Platinum Nuzlocke.

Nevertheless, that is nice to know that you've actually checked out what I have to offer on the blue side. I do remember how that Watchog dealt against Grimsley's Krookodile, it may have succumbed to that Bisharp but before then, I was like one Flash and he kept missing so many hits. And of said starters I think Bagpipes had the least close calls, but Lacerta shaved short early on against Cheren and did nearly get cut in by opposing Gurdurr with Sheer Force and DynamicPunch twice. In White there was Clay, and even Bianca on Route 8, those were two pretty tense fights. In X, my Greninja did very well as you mentioned, so there were those. (Fun fact: In my Blue Mono-Color, I had a Modest Froakie as well, which was the same nature as in said Wedlocke, but I dropped Frogadier shortly after the second badge.)

Oh, you're Flicky! I always enjoy reading your challenges on Marriland, especially White 2 and HeartGold.

Since we're talking about challenges, let me say I am bloody horrible at them, except I magically completed a Nuzlocke on SoulSilver. My starter, Meganium, made it all the way to Clair, before it and my Gyarados were knocked out by Clair's Gyarados. Overall, it was very fun, as I even found a shiny Graveler while training in Victory Road. I only went through Johto, as the way things were going, I didn't think I could make it through Kanto, as I had 8 deaths between beating Pryce and Lance.

Ha, so you recognized me, cool. Anyway, if you think eight deaths between those two points is crazy...well, not that that's nothing, but I once saw this one YouTuber who did a Nuzlocke on Heart Gold, and when he got to Clair he ended with six deaths in total afterward, then had a whopping seven deaths between the Kimono Girls and Ho-Oh alone, and was less than a turn away from losing his Feraligatr (when it killed Ho-Oh, it had 6 HP left and was about to die from burn). He did pick it up afterwards and lost half his team against the Elite Four, but then beat Lance without losing any of his Pokémon (albeit by not only getting a critical hit Ice Fang with his Feraligatr on one Dragonite and freezing the other, but heal spamming against the last one with Outrage). He ended with 21 deaths in total upon beating Red, and came super close to not losing anyone against him, but his Gyarados died to hail right before the last second. I don't remember the name of that YouTuber, but I do recall seeing said videos, alright.

But nevertheless I do hope you can become better at them someday!

I was debating trying a full Wedlocke Challenge, just for something to do...although I'd have girl/girl and boy/boy pairings as well, just because...and it'd probably work out that way from what I caught on the routes. xD

I've never tried challenges before, but looking at the section here has piqued my interest. A lot of them don't seem very challenging though, unless you pile restrictions on yourself...which I guess is the point? Ahaha.

Well, Marriland has something aligned for that (gay pairings) if that's what you want to do, although he doesn't like that because his claim is that kind of defeats the challenge when you have to choose between males and females which makes choosing pairs more difficult.

And with these runs not being that challenging, that's part of why I like to take on important fights way lower leveled and usually with no items.

Years
    Yeah, having the starter live to the end always feels nice. But back in early 2013, I did another Wedlocke on Platinum (which was the first I actually completed), and guess what my first death was. It was against the same thing that caused Marriland's first death in his Platinum Nuzlocke.

Hahahaha I remember reading your thread and I think you had a Grotle if I recall, and he died to that infamous PI with the Horn Drill Goldeen. Kinda funny that the one Marriland lost to that guy (Caesar the Roselia) was also a Grass-type but things would have gone differently if he led with someone else other than Firebutt (who was a Monferno at the time). When he switched in he wasn't expecting Horn Drill but he did use it anyway, killing Caesar.

No wonder why so many Nuzlockers try to avoid that guy when playing Platinum which is said to be the hardest Pokemon game to Nuzlocke in. Black 2/White 2 from what I've heard is pretty hard to do Wedlockes in especially after seeing all the losses you had in your run. I really cringed when I read the part where your Excadrill died to a duo of wild Zebstrika due to Flame Charge spamming.

And I absolutely remember when you lost a Patrat extremely early thanks to a nasty crit from a wild Purrloin, just when it was about to level up. Having a death while training always stinks.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Hikamaru said:
    I really cringed when I read the part where your Excadrill died to a duo of wild Zebstrika due to Flame Charge spamming.

Dang, that must have sucked.

In general, I find Zebstrika to be pretty bothersome to go up against; last time I went up against one, which, if I remember correctly, was in Pokémon Black (or was it Black 2?) while battling against Elesa. Due to it constantly using Confuse Ray and whatnot, I was rarely able to attack, causing me to face defeat about three times in a row.

When opponents utilize moves like Confuse Ray, their chances of its effect affecting you seem to be raised, for some reason, even though I know that it isn't meant to be the case.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    When opponents utilize moves like Confuse Ray, their chances of its effect affecting you seem to be raised, for some reason, even though I know that it isn't meant to be the case.

I've heard there's something that happens in game called hax that gives a slight edge to the computer in the game, but I'm not sure whether or not that is true.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Ah, that makes sense! Would have been if there were a way to avoid it all-together, haha.

pkmin3033

Weird question: Anyone else getting an overwhelming desire to replay a Pokemon game right now? I really want to start a new file on HeartGold or Platinum or even Black 2, but with ORAS coming I know I won't finish it, so I'm not bothering...and it's driving me MAD. I get like this every time a new game is on the horizon...I can't be the only one, surely? xD

Wicked3DS

Years
    Weird question: Anyone else getting an overwhelming desire to replay a Pokemon game right now? I really want to start a new file on HeartGold or Platinum or even Black 2, but with ORAS coming I know I won't finish it, so I'm not bothering...and it's driving me MAD. I get like this every time a new game is on the horizon...I can't be the only one, surely? xD

Nah, I'm with you, I kinda want to play HeartGold again. I've been thinking of starting another file up soon, but it'll probably get put on hold until I finish Omega Ruby like you said.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Hm... I don't believe I'm in mood to play any Pokémon game right now, sadly. Right now, I'm saving all my excitement for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Did start playing through HeartGold again last week, but eventually lost interest couple of hours after, sorry to say. I currently have it installed onto my flash-cart, which allows cheat codes and whatnot, and I sort of wanted to test some of them to see how they all work. Some of them were great; few of my favorites were catching trainers' Pokémon, always-on running shoes (permits you to run from place to place without needing to hold B button, which, I believe, is pretty useful!), and walk-through-walls.

Wish there were a code to inflict your team members with PokéRus, but unfortunately, I could not find any. I'm sure there is one out there, though, so I'll have to keep searching around until I run into it.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I've been seriously contemplating starting a new game of HeartGold recently, but I'm having the same dilemma: I know I'll lose interest in playing it once OR/AS comes out >< Maybe if I do a Locke or something...

Years
    Playing Platinum right now. Went to the Distortion World yesterday and caught Giratina.
    Distortion World must be the coolest place in whole Pokemon universe. Such a trippy experience.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Yeah, I have to agree; Distortion World is one of the most intriguing places in all of main-series Pokémon games. Though, sadly, I don't believe we won't be able to see it again any time soon; am expecting it to make appearance in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum remakes, but they likely won't be announced until their next-generation handheld console is released. This could take some time (around three to five years or so), especially considering that 3DS is still fairly new and whatnot.

If they'd allowed us to visit space, somehow, I could imagine some of its locations to be behaving like Distortion World--such as us flipping upside-down and sideways--but I'm not sure what the chances are of it actually happening. Would be pretty cool, however, surely!

Wicked3DS

Years
    I'd kind of like to see a Pokémon game where they visit space. I don't know how it would work exactly, but if they could find a way to do it I think it would be pretty cool.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back