• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playstation III and Xbox Next

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Neither of the titles on either of the systems is official yet, but lets discuss anyway. They're both being released, or atleast showcased, pretty soon.

Playstation III-
    As any gamer should know, PS3 will utilize the cell processor, which they, Toshiba, and IMB have been jointly working on for a couple years now. The Cell processor has been rumored to excess 16 teraflops, which doesn't just mean trouble Microsoft on X2, but also trouble for Intel in the server field. The prototype model was clocked at 4Ghz, already excessing most of todays cutting edge processors- include the fact that each core on the processor was designed to tackle different jobs, this is the god of multitasking.
    With all of that said, it seemed kindof obvious that they wouldn't be needing a seperate graphics processor, but Sony didn't think so- they've been working with nvidia on PS3's GPU which will consist of a beefed up version of their future hardware. It's rumored that it won't act entirely as the main provider of graphics goodness to PS3, but work together with the cell to tackle actions the PS3 takes in the field of graphics.
    Lastly, it will utilize BluRay discs, which have a huge amount of space(many times more than a DVD), and BD drives utilize a blue ray, hence the name.

Xbox-
    Nothing really unexpected here, just picking up from the slack they're laying behind from PS3 by using enough RAM to get things done, something Sony seems to forgotten to do(especially with all of those ram decreases, shame on you Sony). I never got around to memorizing the specs, probably because they don't seem as special as the PS3's, but then again, where PS3's extreme pwnage in one area dominates, X2 is countering with common sense.

TechieT

The Techie Master
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 26, 2006
    Haven't been here in a while, but I have a bit of info on the next XBox. I got this tidbit from the latest GameInformer =p
    The next XBox is making all of their games XBL enabled for either online multiplayer, or extra content. Extra content will be made available by the developers, whether it be extra maps, extra characters, etc. It'll be fairly cheap to buy (think nickels and dimes). That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    XXenon is expected to have the following:
    CPU - Three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores with L1 cache with 32 KB for data and 32 KB for instructions and all three share 1MB of L2 cache.
    GPU(Graphics Processing Unit) - The Xenon's will be one generation ahead of the ATI X800 clocking at 500MHz. The final release of the GPU will be more powerful than anything out there which means it can handle Half-Life 2 with ease.
    System Memory - 256MB of RAM. Expected to go up to 512MB. Remember: Consoles don't need as much RAM as PCs do.
    Optical Drive(CD Drive) - Xenon will not be using the Blu-Ray or HD-DVD format as speculated to cut down the cost. The Xenon will be using the dual-layer DVD-9 discs storing up to 7GB. The speed will be at 12x.
    Memory Units - Xenon will have memory cards from 64MB to 1,024MB. *MB will be used for system reasource leaving 56 MB to 1,016 MB for user data.
    Hard Drive - As speculated, the Xenon will have an optional drive for those who want it. 2 GB of the drive will be used as game cache. The storage size of the drive has yet to be determind.
    Camera - The Xenon will include a USB 2.0 camera capable of 1.2 megapixels still shots and VGA video. Photos can be used in-game and for gamer profiles. The camera can also be used for video chat. It's unknown if the Xenon camera will allow for EyeToy-like gameplay. Developers are currently using a simulated camera driver.
    Sound Chip - None, in traditional sense. Decompression is handled by hardware, while the rest of the chores are handled by software. DirectSound3D has been dropped in favor of X3DAudio. The former was deemed too inflexible.
    Games - All games are required to be Xbox Live compatible. The minimum requirements is 720p at 1280x720 for gameplay and video clips, 16:9 aspect ratio, 5.1 Surround Sound, and anti-aliasing. All games will be able to use the custom soundtrack feature. For gameplay movies, Xenon uses Xenon Motion Video (XMV). XMV is based on Windows Media 9 and uses the mandatory codec for HD-DVD. The goal for video is 720p running at 30 frames per second with 5.1 Surround Sound.
    That's the Xenon specs as of GDC. Any of these are subjected to change.
    The Xenon will be a console to reckon with just like the Xbox was. So it will be PS3 vs Xenon, aka Xbox2, aka XboxNext, aka Xbox360, aka TheOtherRumoredNames, in the next-gen war. And then there's the Nintendo Revolution.

Last edited:

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    Shinin said:
    Xenon was a rumored name for the Xbox 360. The official name is Xbox 360.
    No. The next gen Microsoft console's codename is "Xenon". Xbox 360, XboxNext, Xbox2 are all rumored names for the the console. Personally, if Microsoft chose Xbox 360, I will deem them the worst name chosers ever.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    All of those names sound terrible. The X has got to go. It's pathetic sounding.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    I wonder why someone left Nintendo's new system out of this topic...

And both *rumored* names are horrible. Getting tired of Playstation [instert number] and X-Box 360 is just...contradictory...

Once again, not much to be said on this topic besides wishes until E3 when more info is released...

TechieT

The Techie Master
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 26, 2006
    XBox 360 is the lamest name I heard, but it makes sense. 360>3 and 360 is a full revolution o.o; I still think it's stupid for them making the HD optional, but I guess it'll cut down costs...

Shinin

Banned
    Years
    Shadow said:

And both *rumored* names are horrible. Getting tired of Playstation [instert number] and X-Box 360 is just...contradictory...

Once again, not much to be said on this topic besides wishes until E3 when more info is released...

The next Playstation will definately be named PS3. Numbers are fine. And Xbox 360 isn't that bad.

Happy Dude

Queen of the DDC.
    Years
    Does anyone recommend which one to get.

And yeah i don't like xbox 360 how about xbox 2 or xbox revoulution.

Dark Penguin

[Insert text here]
    Years
    well, the ps3 and revolution won't come out till summer 06, so u have a wait, while xbox360 (what i heard it was officially called, but who knows, microsoft probably can't decide theiraselves) will come out about christmas 05. at least thats wat i heard. and i also heard that the revolution will top them all (it is supposed to have the latest techniology, but its just speculation).

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Shadow said:

Revolution isn't specified because it has few details released for it, plus it isn't expected to be showcased soon.

And to cmatz0, I think PSIII will be released before or soon after X2, they're both showcasing their products at e3, and most of their specs are getting near finalization, so even if they'll be shorthanded on PSIIIs at Christmas time, I expect that they'll start shipping them out anyway, as they did with PSP.

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    Shinin said:
    The next Playstation will definately be named PS3. Numbers are fine. And Xbox 360 isn't that bad.
    Yes it is. Xbox 360 sounds awful compared to the code name, Xenon. XboxNext is nice, but Xenon is better. And Xbox 2 would just be following the PlayStation naming system.
    Brittany said:
    And to cmatz0, I think PSIII will be released before or soon after X2, they're both showcasing their products at e3, and most of their specs are getting near finalization, so even if they'll be shorthanded on PSIIIs at Christmas time, I expect that they'll start shipping them out anyway, as they did with PSP.
    I believe it was said that the PS3 was being released in 2006. At least I hope it is. I can't buy two consoles at once! I'll need to build a machine that freezes time to play all these games! I also like your sig. :D

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Kip-kip said:
    I believe it was said that the PS3 was being released in 2006. At least I hope it is. I can't buy two consoles at once! I'll need to build a machine that freezes time to play all these games! I also like your sig. :D
    Gah! Everyone compliments it right after I change it!(well, I changed it before I saw the compliments =P)

But really, where's Nintendo at the moment? They kinda just creeped away when their competitors are getting ready to shine. Last I saw, Nintendo Revolution's specs were just watered down X2 specs, so I guess they're following the pattern of DS, giving other gaming options to try to 'revolutionize' the gaming industy...

I really don't know what the heck Sony is thinking right now though, all of the game producing companies are afraid of learning how to make games around the new system, and Sony basically says 'it'll be easy', and then run off. e3 is just around the corner, are the consumers going to learn more about PSIII than game creators will? C'mon Sony, atleast throw a little ReadMe at them =P

Last edited:

Dark Penguin

[Insert text here]
    Years
    no, i asked a guy at eb, and he said the xbox360 was comin out this christmas, but ps3 and revolution were due out next summer. don't no how much he no's, thou.

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    Next-gen Xbox Console

Xenon Picture One
    Xenon Picture Two
    Xenon Picture Three
    These are pictures of the Xenon. I would believe the first one is fake since it's different from the other two. More shiny. The other two are plausible to be the pictures of the next-gen Xbox. The last one (and maybe the second one, but I'm not sure) appeared at Ourcolony.net, a site that is believed to be a promotion ARG for the next-gen Xbox like ilovebees.com was to Halo 2. It's interesting because niether of the pictures show any controller ports, but instead you see one of those recievers you see on your TVs, DVD players, etc. So, the nest-gen Xbox might be the first console to come with wireless controllers. Looks like a nice design to me. I'm thinking these pictures are of the hard-drive-included version. Also, here's a(partial) picture of the next controller. Also, from Ourcolony.net.

Of course, we won't know for sure until May 12, 2005 for MTV's showing of the Xenon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2014
    The name is Xbox 360 and look at this:

Playstation III and Xbox Next

IS A FAKE

Back