• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playstation III and Xbox Next

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Think of it this way.
    If someone broke in your house you can see the PS3 controller to beat them up with. XD

I think if we flip over the PS3 and sit it upside down on the 360 then it will fit just right. XD

DeltaSuicune

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2008
    Brittany said:
    The Cell is expected to take away alot of the GPU's worries- If you remember correctly, the Cell does have 9 cores.
    And even so, that's Nvidia's technology, I really see some short-thought quotes here...

Might want to go do your homework before spouting this stuff at me, Nvidia is currently leading in graphical chip infrastructure and technology, Ati is closely tagging along, and commercial gaming wise this can be see from the fact that Geforce cards are more powerful, but require more tech savvy people to fully utilize them. Not to mention it's cross-platform capabilities make it popular amoung programmers. Ati and Radeon are strictly windows gamers oriented. Short thought indeed.

Even if the Cell does have 9 cores (I'm not familiar with exactly how the cell works), it would functionally make it 900% more difficult to program and make code for, which several developers have openly voiced opposition about. It's not very developer friendly, however powerful it be. Games will take a lot longer to make.

Brittany said:
    Giving PS3 crap because PS2 wasn't a supercomputer? Really- the Cell has been overclocked to speeds around 4.5GHz- They never said they would use their most powerful model, nor did they say they wanted to create a firehazard in your living room.Although early tech demos and trailers show something comparable? Go figure- seriously.

You missed the point, Sony is spouting that the PS3 IS essentially a supercomputer. Then again they said similar things about the PS2 prior to launch (and so did Nintendo regarding the N64). Ever clocked a Xeon processor? Opteron? MDGrape3?

I'm not dissing the PS3, but I'm just doubting that such a small console will have the power they boast, and being so compact, it will be prone to overheating if they don't stick a friggin car radiator in there (or water cooling, which would be rather spiffy).

Many people miss the fundamental point about E3: it's about generating industry oriented hype, not giving cold hard marketing and technical specs. Many changes occur before the final release; watering down hardware to make it affordable to the average of the mass population (economists make fortunes here hired by the big guns), redesign of internal hardware when things fail stress tests in the laboratories, etc etc.

~DS

edit:
    Friend of mine summarized the PS3 nicely;
    Toshiba designed it, IBM did all the work, and Sony generated the hype.

Last edited:

Shinin

Banned
    Years
    Another pic insulting the PS3 contoller...
    Playstation III and Xbox Next

Casual Billy

Wargreymon: Miracle Mega
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2006
    PS3 PSP PS3 PSP PS3 PSP...huh? Oh, I'm awake now. That's what happens when I fall asleep now though; no 'z's, just PSP PS3 PSP PS3. Yeah, I'm sorry for this post.

Dark Sora

Banned
    Years
    Though Playstation 3 looks really high tech, it's a little too high tech. Soon, you'll see that it'll start the rebelion on Sky Net and then the computer will attack us and that's the end of the human race.

PS3 looks alot like my scanner o.O I wonder if I can change up my scanner to make it into a PS3. I also see that it has the same font as the Spider-Man movies. I wonder if Stan Lee had anything to do with the Playstation 3 XD

Anyways, for some reason the control for the PS3 reminds me of some UFO type thing O.o It looks really alien-like. Now I'm starting to wonder if Dave Chappell was right, when he made that skit, saying that the aliens created Playstation XD

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    DeltaSuicune said:
    Might want to go do your homework before spouting this stuff at me, Nvidia is currently leading in graphical chip infrastructure and technology, Ati is closely tagging along, and commercial gaming wise this can be see from the fact that Geforce cards are more powerful, but require more tech savvy people to fully utilize them. Not to mention it's cross-platform capabilities make it popular amoung programmers. Ati and Radeon are strictly windows gamers oriented. Short thought indeed.
    'Might want to go do my homework'? You've basically just restated my opinion with more details to support it.
    Even if the Cell does have 9 cores (I'm not familiar with exactly how the cell works), it would functionally make it 900% more difficult to program and make code for, which several developers have openly voiced opposition about. It's not very developer friendly, however powerful it be. Games will take a lot longer to make.
    Is that why we're seeing more PS3 demos and information than it's competitors, even when X360 is set to be released months before PS3? Sure, having many cores may make it a bit more difficult, but developers aren't forced to utilize each and every core for every game. The big work will be carried out by it's largest core and PS3's RSX chip, while the smaller ones simply leave the option for more specialized power, which may or may not be fully pursued by developers.
    You missed the point, Sony is spouting that the PS3 IS essentially a supercomputer. Then again they said similar things about the PS2 prior to launch (and so did Nintendo regarding the N64). Ever clocked a Xeon processor? Opteron? MDGrape3?
    And to the average consumer, it is a supercomputer. Compared to the computer and console games currently out, this will blow them away(along with X360 and Revolution)
    I'm not dissing the PS3, but I'm just doubting that such a small console will have the power they boast, and being so compact, it will be prone to overheating if they don't stick a friggin car radiator in there (or water cooling, which would be rather spiffy).
    O_o
    Sorry, I know you're trying to get on the nice side of discussion here, but first of all, PS3 is the largest of the new gaming consoles. Secondly, how can you doubt what was already shown? We haven't exactly seen CG quality previews here, which means they're obviously not milking us... unless they're trying a new approach- sub-par CG clips shown for previews, so we think the games are starting to get worse- great marketing scheme! [Insert evil laugh here]
    Many people miss the fundamental point about E3: it's about generating industry oriented hype, not giving cold hard marketing and technical specs. Many changes occur before the final release; watering down hardware to make it affordable to the average of the mass population (economists make fortunes here hired by the big guns), redesign of internal hardware when things fail stress tests in the laboratories, etc etc.
    Frankly, what we have the most of at the moment is this 'cold hard marketing and technical specs.' to discuss... other than trailers, we're talking about current gen gaming, and that just isn't what this thread was about.
    Friend of mine summarized the PS3 nicely;
    Toshiba designed it, IBM did all the work, and Sony generated the hype.
    I hope your friend meant the Cell chip. Toshiba designed it with the help of IBM and Sony, IBM contibuted their top-of-the-line processors as a base to start off with, and Sony gave them a big lump of money and lots of promises ;)

DeltaSuicune

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2008
    Please read everything I post and save me reiterating the obvious... you've taken to adding friction to every comment of mine.

Brittany said:
    'Might want to go do my homework'? You've basically just restated my opinion with more details to support it.

In my first post I poked provocative statements at nobody in particular by stating rather cynical yet realistic comments at many things that were said at the E3 by the industry. You went ahead and ... slammed, shall we say, these comments?

edit: Pardon, my bad, misread one line of yours. I'm doing this at 1AM after work, apologies.

Brittany said:
    Is that why we're seeing more PS3 demos and information than it's competitors, even when X360 is set to be released months before PS3? Sure, having many cores may make it a bit more difficult, but developers aren't forced to utilize each and every core for every game. The big work will be carried out by it's largest core and PS3's RSX chip, while the smaller ones simply leave the option for more specialized power, which may or may not be fully pursued by developers.

Of course not, very few titles of the current generation consoles used the full power of the processors. Metroid Prime 2 was the only game that actually made my GC lag at times. Frame wise, I don't go and review the specs of every game published, but I do know that only a handful that I can count on my fingers fully utilize the power available in the current consoles.

I am, however, stating that regardless of how many polygons or textures are utilized by the games made, the architectural code surrounding the chips will be more difficult. The cell is an asymmetric chip, the logic alogarithms run completely differently than most conventional computer chips. I won't go into detail since you probably don't care, but if you've taken any, even elementary, programming courses, you'll know what I'm referring to.

Brittany said:
    And to the average consumer, it is a supercomputer. Compared to the computer and console games currently out, this will blow them away(along with X360 and Revolution)

To make you content, I did poke around gamespot's full review of the PS3 specs, and I am frankly impressed. However, even they state that;

Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer," which is based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision and 1080p resolution--some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512MB of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has more than 300 million transistors, larger than any processor commercially available today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process, with eight layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1,000 total if purchased today.

which I commented on earlier already. There is going to likely be some sacrifice to make this affordable to consumers. I don't know many parents who are going to be buying a console that costs more than 1k for their kids.

It doesn't blow computer gamers completely out of the water, but it does set a competitive benchmark. In comparison, the last time I was completely astounded by a game, was when Half-Life came out on the PC in 1998.

edit: No, the first time I was completely astounded by a game was Total Annihilation in 1997.
    Prior to that would be all various 2D chip improvements in color display, ie SNES vs Genesis, etc.

In different news, programs like 3D studio max and Maya chew up powerful gaming rigs for breakfast, spit them out mutilated, and ask for seconds. THAT, is what I am referring to in stating that I don't like the companies boasting about how they can do such-and-such to the ignorant (and fanatical) fans, when it's complete nonsense. I am not pointing this comment at you btw, but much of what I've seen so far points to that conclusion. Not to mention that all of the people buying these consoles upon initial release in stores will be so hyped up that they can't wait a few months for price drops.

Brittany said:
    O_o Sorry, I know you're trying to get on the nice side of discussion here, but first of all, PS3 is the largest of the new gaming consoles.

... right... I'll save you the time and show you that the nextbox is still ginormous and space comsuming. [see attachment]

Brittany said:
    Secondly, how can you doubt what was already shown? We haven't exactly seen CG quality previews here, which means they're obviously not milking us... unless they're trying a new approach- sub-par CG clips shown for previews, so we think the games are starting to get worse- great marketing scheme! [Insert evil laugh here]

Come again?

Brittany said:
    Frankly, what we have the most of at the moment is this 'cold hard marketing and technical specs.' to discuss... other than trailers, we're talking about current gen gaming, and that just isn't what this thread was about.

Read what I said about things changing prior to release. If you've followed historical presentations of consoles to date, the PS2 first shown at the E3 of 1998 or 1999 (forgot, whatever it was prior to release), they watered down the graphics chip, internal ram, and some other components. This was to make it a feasible price (not that they had any competition at the time since the N64 bombed and the PlayStation/One was doing fine).

Bit of trivia for you for those that don't know. The first generation PS2's that launched in Japan (the very first, in 2000 March 4th), were the factory powerhouse models that Sony had promised the world. Two weeks later, they were leaked some information that hackers were abusing the internal chips with their incredible power to crack into international banks and a lot of other international affairs (Any of you read the news regariding all the theft of PS2's after the first release? Teens and the like mugging children on their way back from the store to get at their newly bought consoles, Japan isn't paradise you know), and after severe pressure from many companies affected, Sony issued a nation wide recall claim to consumers to please return their PS2's for ... a flawed design, and will be reimbursed with new models for free. The majority of the machines were never returned, and they currently reside in niches in the marketplace (many have been modded, rigged, hacked up, you name it). The next closest thing to Sony's ideal is the legendary PSX model. The whole escapade was never publicized overseas much obviously to maintain Sony's image, but it did happen.

Brittany said:
    I hope your friend meant the Cell chip. Toshiba designed it with the help of IBM and Sony, IBM contibuted their top-of-the-line processors as a base to start off with, and Sony gave them a big lump of money and lots of promises ;)

Yes he did, and we are all aware that Toshiba/IBM/Sony co-produced the chip, learn to recognize sarcasm if you please.

The way I view it, the architecture and design behind the Cell is absolutely brilliant and truly reflects IBM's long lasting desire to ... finally beat Seymour Cray who beat them (and every other company) for decades. A friend of mine is already contemplating the prospect of simply ripping the Cell out of a PS3 and using it in a computer workstation. Sure, it's going to make for a very fast processor capable of stunning graphics, but what I am truly excited about is the scientific applications for it. Racks full of Cells are going to quickly overwhelm the top 500 super computer list and I think the scientific world is going to be much better off.

The Rambus XDR memory used in the system is also fast... dang fast to say the least. There was a memory war several years ago between Rambus and DDR over speed. From what I can remember, they were fairly evenly matched (if not Rambus actually being a bit faster), but DDR won mostly because of preferences from the big motherboard manufacturers and the like. This new XDR memory, however, that Rambus is putting out, is completely shaming DDR memory in tests and pure specs. This along with the incredibly high bandwidth in the Cell... I personally, am excited.

Conclusion for you if you like of all my ramblings; I'm just not biting onto the E3 hype, I'm waiting for a factory release with specs, and especially wary of the price tag. (or does not being a ecstatically ill fanboy/girl label you as a disbeliever on these forums o_O)

Now, shall we continue this verbal sparring or get back into the non-debating zone.

~DS

Last edited:

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    DeltaSuicune said:
    edit: Pardon, my bad, misread one line of yours. I'm doing this at 1AM after work, apologies.
    It's okay, taking in all of this new information while dealing with the fandom of members [like me],trying to debate, and then still trying to enjoy e3 is prone for mistakes during discussion at any time.
    Of course not, very few titles of the current generation consoles used the full power of the processors. Metroid Prime 2 was the only game that actually made my GC lag at times. Frame wise, I don't go and review the specs of every game published, but I do know that only a handful that I can count on my fingers fully utilize the power available in the current consoles.
    Well we agree on half of this point :P
    I am, however, stating that regardless of how many polygons or textures are utilized by the games made, the architectural code surrounding the chips will be more difficult. The cell is an asymmetric chip, the logic alogarithms run completely differently than most conventional computer chips. I won't go into detail since you probably don't care, but if you've taken any, even elementary, programming courses, you'll know what I'm referring to.
    I know- the PS3 will probably have developers more annoyed than any other console in history(and I'm expecting for them to be very heated within atleast the first year), but even now, it seems to have the most support of the three upcoming systems. Sony seems to think it'll be easy enough though(although I still don't know how), and I'm hoping that the plethora of titles being previewed may be a sign of developers actually being able to back up some of Sony's statements.
    To make you content, I did poke around gamespot's full review of the PS3 specs, and I am frankly impressed.
    You reviewed it just for me? You shouldn't have! :P
    However, even they state that;

Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer," which is based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision and 1080p resolution--some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512MB of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has more than 300 million transistors, larger than any processor commercially available today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process, with eight layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1,000 total if purchased today.

which I commented on earlier already. There is going to likely be some sacrifice to make this affordable to consumers. I don't know many parents who are going to be buying a console that costs more than 1k for their kids.
    I well-aware of this, and fear the possibility of these cuts to make it even weaker than the X360 and still have a higher price than it's competitors. That along with the fact that Microsoft's system will be easier to create games for could mean that Sony could lose a huge amount of support in the gaming industry to X360.
    It doesn't blow computer gamers completely out of the water, but it does set a competitive benchmark. In comparison, the last time I was completely astounded by a game, was when Half-Life came out on the PC in 1998.

edit: No, the first time I was completely astounded by a game was Total Annihilation in 1997.
    Prior to that would be all various 2D chip improvements in color display, ie SNES vs Genesis, etc.
    You're right, computer gamers won't be as amazed as console gamers, but I believe it'll have a larger impact on them than previous consoles did on computer games within their timeframe.
    In different news, programs like 3D studio max and Maya chew up powerful gaming rigs for breakfast, spit them out mutilated, and ask for seconds. THAT, is what I am referring to in stating that I don't like the companies boasting about how they can do such-and-such to the ignorant (and fanatical) fans, when it's complete nonsense. I am not pointing this comment at you btw, but much of what I've seen so far points to that conclusion. Not to mention that all of the people buying these consoles upon initial release in stores will be so hyped up that they can't wait a few months for price drops.
    Unless the starting lineup for the console shows some serious power, or they bring a game that millions will be compelled to play(remake of Final Fantasy VII anyone?), I won't be one of these people, and I doubt many others will be either, until the pricedrops.
    Conclusion for you if you like of all my ramblings; I'm just not biting onto the E3 hype, I'm waiting for a factory release with specs, and especially wary of the price tag. (or does not being a ecstatically ill fanboy/girl label you as a disbeliever on these forums o_O)

Now, shall we continue this verbal sparring or get back into the non-debating zone.

~DS
    I cut out replies to most of your other points, because frankly, I did like all of your ramblings. And not being a complete fanboi/girl will only get you labeled as a disbeliever if it's attributed to Nintendo's products. That should really be no suprise though, this is the Pokemon Community afterall.

Anyway I think we should quit with technicalities for now, just wait to see what is to come.

Shinin

Banned
    Years
    Brittany said:
    It's okay, taking in all of this new information while dealing with the fandom of members [like me],trying to debate, and then still trying to enjoy e3 is prone for mistakes during discussion at any time.

If you think it's hard here, you should go to the GameFAQs boards. It's hell there.

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    It's estimated that the PS3 will cost around $500. Ouch! It's also estimated that the Xbox 360 will cost around $299. Some sites say they have to sell it at $299 to reach 1 billion consumers. So it's about a $200 difference there. That's not good for Sony.

DeltaSuicune

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2008
    Brittany said:
    I cut out replies to most of your other points, because frankly, I did like all of your ramblings. And not being a complete fanboi/girl will only get you labeled as a disbeliever if it's attributed to Nintendo's products. That should really be no suprise though, this is the Pokemon Community afterall.

Anyway I think we should quit with technicalities for now, just wait to see what is to come.

Point taken, I just happen to be more outspoken about the fact that I don't support Nintendo with wide open arms any more and prefer other game companies now.

If I was to go out on a limb, I'd even say that Microsoft is doing better in marketing right now to satisfy the fans than Nintendo. I don't blame Ninty for whacking their own path through the bush though, they've a history of doing that and sometimes ignoring the fans.

~DS

Back