• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playstation III and Xbox Next

Dark Penguin

[Insert text here]
    Years
    I heard recently that there will be 3 versions, one like a PC (which i think is kinda dumb), one will be an advanced game player (with 40 gig hard drive), and the other will be a game player that uses mem. cards and that is the cheapest and has a small hard drive.

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    cmatz0 said:
    I heard recently that there will be 3 versions, one like a PC (which i think is kinda dumb), one will be an advanced game player (with 40 gig hard drive), and the other will be a game player that uses mem. cards and that is the cheapest and has a small hard drive.
    Yeah, that's really old. The updated rumor is that there will be two versions, one a PC and one a gaming system with an attachable hard drive.

DeltaSuicune

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2008
    Since everybody loves hardware debates, some screens of the actual graphical power these consoles have...

Clicky

Right now these are PS3 shots of a game called "2 days to Vegas", and is being created by a Russian developer known as Steel Monkeys.

The Xbox360 version is going to receive "minor upgrades across the board". Take that as you will... since the Xbox 360 version is likely going to premiere first given the launch dates.

Whoopdie-$<*%ing-do, now we get interactive movies I suppose? ... actually I'm not a graphics whore or anti-whore, but I do want assurance that the developers are going to put some gameplay mechanics into these next gen games outside of all the graphical effort that's going into these. There was an interesting article at gamespot regarding angry developers with estimated game production costs with the next consoles...

Either way, yay. Oh yes, some attached images of the concept art for the N5 Revolution... concept art, this is not the gospel. There were a few similar designs before, but more confirmation.

~DS

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    DeltaSuicune said:
    Since everybody loves hardware debates, some screens of the actual graphical power these consoles have...

Clicky

Right now these are PS3 shots of a game called "2 days to Vegas", and is being created by a Russian developer known as Steel Monkeys.

The Xbox360 version is going to receive "minor upgrades across the board". Take that as you will... since the Xbox 360 version is likely going to premiere first given the launch dates.

Whoopdie-$<*%ing-do, now we get interactive movies I suppose? ... actually I'm not a graphics whore or anti-whore, but I do want assurance that the developers are going to put some gameplay mechanics into these next gen games outside of all the graphical effort that's going into these. There was an interesting article at gamespot regarding angry developers with estimated game production costs with the next consoles...

Either way, yay. Oh yes, some attached images of the concept art for the N5 Revolution... concept art, this is not the gospel. There were a few similar designs before, but more confirmation.

~DS
    Woah, I vote the Revolution concept as the best looking console ever.
    From looking at those pictures and the trailer for Madden 2006 for the 360, I say that both consoles will look amazing graphics wise.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    *cough*

New rumour:

The Revolution will feature a core of four 5.2GHz processors, making it even faster than the 360. Supposedly leaked specs.

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    pokejungle said:
    *cough*

New rumour:

The Revolution will feature a core of four 5.2GHz processors, making it even faster than the 360. Supposedly leaked specs.
    To my knowledge, no processor has reached 4GHz, except for the cell processor, yet. This would make that rumor improbable.

DeltaSuicune

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2008
    pokejungle said:
    *cough*

New rumour:

Definitely a ludicrous rumour.. did you make this up yourself? Dual core processors are buggy enough as is right now, tetra-core is beyond belief at this stage in teghnological development.

The projected dual-core of the Xbox 360 will still not run as quickly as the PS3 "Cell", since dual 2.6Ghz processors don't just magically add up to 5.2Ghz, a lot of the internal structure (and surrounding coding) decides how fast the total operational speed will be.

~DS

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    pokejungle said:
    *cough*

New rumour:

*reads*
    *rereads*

*dies of laughter*
    If you can get the the most expensive, cutting edge processors on the market overclocked... you still wouldn't be near 5.2 GHz
    And four of them? Nintendo has already stated that the console won't be as powerful as others, they're working in other ways to compete. The games will still be graphically amazing, but that isn't their focus. Plus, lets just pretend that we get these processors out of the blue- the Revolution's price would go over any American's head. I mean the possibility of thousands of dollars for the system.

The S

The Reverend
    Years
    Am I the only one that thinks the new X-Box looks... well... fugly? It looks like all they did was flatten my dad's PC and paint it white. The original X-Box was a much better design, despite being the size of Stanton Island...

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    It was something about 4 processors. Maybe I exaggerated the speed a *bit* =S I forgot what it was honestly xD

Although, we do have some real news: The president of Square Enix [Japan] has announced the Revolution will be the birth of a completly new platform.

That makes those rumours about true 3D a bit more believable.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    pokejungle said:
    It was something about 4 processors. Maybe I exaggerated the speed a *bit* =S I forgot what it was honestly xD

Although, we do have some real news: The president of Square Enix [Japan] has announced the Revolution will be the birth of a completly new platform.

Maybe it was four 2.5GHz processors? That's more believable, although it wouldn't have as much brute strength as X360, I guess it might be better at multitasking.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    pokejungle said:

Well maybe now Square can get a good Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system (and not some run down kid looking game).

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    pokejungle said:

By true 3D, do you mean holographic like images or virtual reallity? If it's the latter of the two, that is cool. If it's the holographic one, I think it's stupid. Do you really need real 3D images? I believe it would just take you out of the experenice too much.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    We'll have to wait to find out >>; Rumours aren't very specific xD

New Rumour:
    The revolution will be as big as three DVD cases stacked on top of each and a little bit longer. It can be played horizontal or Vertical like the PS2

and

It will launch mid-2006!

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    pokejungle said:
    We'll have to wait to find out >>; Rumours aren't very specific xD

New Rumour:
    The revolution will be as big as three DVD cases stacked on top of each and a little bit longer. It can be played horizontal or Vertical like the PS2

and

It will launch mid-2006!
    That is no rumour. That was said on Nintendo.com, so the Revolution will be around the same as three stacked DVD cases and a little longer.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Nintendo is usually loathe to give out details. I didn't see it so I didn't want to confirm it.

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    Ok, we got some Xbox 360 news and PS3 news. First off, Sony has confirmed that the next-gen console will be named, the Playstation 3. A real shocker. Also, the PS3 will come out in 2006 offically comfirming that Microsoft will have the head start in the next-gen war.
    Xbox 360 news: Ironically, you will be able to hook up your PSP and iPod to the Xbox 360. Here's Gamespot's say:
    RUMOR #3: You will be able to hook up your Sony PSP to the Xbox 360--as well as your iPod.

Source: That mecca for the nuts-and-bolts-conscious gamer, Tom's Hardware Guide.

The official story: "That's interesting."--Microsoft spokesperson.

What we heard: One of the features of the 360 that Microsoft has been touting is how it is a "digital entertainment" hub with USB 2.0 connectivity with devices like MP3 players and digital cameras. And since a memory stick-equipped PSP shows up as a hard drive, couldn't it also be connected to an Xbox 360? Apparently so. When demonstrating the Xbox 360 to Tom's Hardware Guide, Jeff Henshaw, the executive producer of Digital Entertainment for the Xbox, openly said it would work with a PSP. "Other console makers want to force you to buy brand 'S' memory and use a brand 'S' format to play on brand 'S' TVs," he told the site. "We just want things to work for the gamer and be as easy as possible." Also, according to the same article in Time magazine in which Microsoft chairman Bill Gates revealed that Halo 3 was launching around the same time as the PlayStation 3, "You can plug your iPod into the Xbox 360 and play songs off that too." Boss!

Bogus or not bogus?:
    Not bogus.
    Ironic. Also, Halo 3 has been comfirmed by none other than the big man himself, Bill Gates.
    Nintendo news:
    There's been rumors that Nintendo has invented this:
    https://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/15/screens_6124668.html?page=1
    Where the helmet reads your body movements and puts them into the game. Wow, Some Nintendo fanboy has a really have a creative, but stupid, imagination for thinking that this could be possible for a price consumers can afford and keep it to a helmet size machine. That person also has a a lot of time on his hands for creating that believable video. Hats off to you. Well, that's it.

Back