• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Please don't say that.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen today
    Overused business buzzwords irk me somewhat, as do related phrases like "touch base." In general there are more phrases that bother me than words. The most annoying I can think of off-hand is "ouch, right in the childhood" and other similarly wanky 90s kid nonsense. Also "millennial" and any other blanket word for an entire generation. I get that it's useful for demographics and statistical studying and whatever but they're just all over now in places they needn't be and give people just another way to make sweeping generalizations.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Airplane staff have a lot of euphemisms I hate so much I just laugh. With a straight face, they refer to crashing into the ocean as a water landing, and the plane roof flying off as a sudden drop in cabin pressure. It's so ridiculous you have to find it at least a little funny.

I don't think Delta Airlines' 777 jumbo jets are at all equipped to do anything in the water except explode.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2019
    someone doesn't care for black people

as for me
    • moist
    • any time a british person says heych when they say the letter h
    • dude
    • mate

Right...It's absolutely racist to not like those words, because everyone knows that all black newborn babies have "bae, swag, turnt" in their vocabulary, cause genetics, right??? /s

By that logic, I guess hating country music, juggalo culture and slang, and smoking meth means I don't care about white people either.

Last edited:
    Years
  • What comes out of my mouth is pretty much uncensored, so I don't have any words I really dislike hearing...But, if I had to choose, I don't like hearing n**ga. It's a racist term that my friends say like it's a perfectly normal word, and I never find myself using that word.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I can't say any certain word bothers me. I think people try too hard these days to be so politically correct with their wording. To me that is worse than a word used offensively.

Years
  • In general, there aren't particular words in any language that bother me (except for "retard" or other kinds of insults), however, I'm very strict when it comes to correct grammar. I can understand non-natives making mistakes (although I met people who spoke my native language far better than others in my country) but when I see people making stupid mistakes in terms of grammar or spelling, it really gets on my nerves.

Years
  • Aluminium being pronounced "Aloooominum". Americans, please.

I guess for a word itself it'd have to be clot. It just makes me feel disgusted hearing that.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I don't have any words that I don't say, but sometimes I'm very timid about saying certain words if they relate to something I'm obsessed with or something that I'm having trouble dealing with or coming to terms with.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Whoever said "millennial" was so on point. When I hear or see that word, I feel like I'm being judged. It's never a good thing about "millennials" when you see that in articles and such so it, to me, ends up feeling like a negative thing to be called. "Those millennials..." UGH. So menacing.

Kyoe

working on it
    Years
  • Haha, the Millennials sounds like something out of a comic book...

Anyways, it don't generally connect negative thoughts to words.
    A word can be used in a lot of ways. Whether we're talking about meaning, or otherwise. It actually seems a bit silly to me to start disliking a word because you don't like how someone uses it. I can understand the reasoning, but it's still a bit odd.

Express your disapproval for their lack of eloquence or proper use of the language, not the word itself.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I hate the word 'retard'. It's always used as slang to mean that something is dumb or stupid. To make it even worse, people always say they don't mean it that way. It makes me mad how people use it and don't realize what the term refers to. A lot of people with disabilities get made fun of because of this word, and using terms like "that's retarded" only adds to the teasing in my opinion.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Moist

Seriously, just... Eugh.

Words I hate?

Retard.

It can be insulting to people with mental disabilities, when people carelessly through that word around, thinking it means 'stupid' when it really doesn't. I hate misuse of that word.

I don't mean to start an argument, but that is at least one of the word's true meanings.

Evanlyn

Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!
    Years
  • Moist

Seriously, just... Eugh.

I don't mean to start an argument, but that is at least one of the word's true meanings.

I agree with you on the word moist..

Is it? I haven't ever seen 'stupid' listed as a definition - usually it's listed as 'backwards' or 'underdeveloped' or something like 'delay or hold back in terms of progress or development.'

(I'm not wanting to start an argument either, I just haven't ever seen that definition for the word in a dictionary)

Lexa

My maturity level depends on who I'm with. ;D
    Years
  • - Fleek ("Eyebrows on FleeeeEEEEK")
    - Thot
    - Hella
    - Fit (As in describing someone as hot, etc.)
    - Underwear

I'll be right back. I'm going to scream into one of my pillows.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • The only word I can't stand is 'inappropriate', I think it and all synonyms should be stricken from the English language and the concept should be stricken with them.

Why is that (though I probably already know the answer)?

Here are several words I dislike that come to mind:
    - Moist (so gross)
    - The "N word"
    - Any cuss word
    - Retard when it's used to call someone stupid (I also feel the same about Down's Syndrome)
    - Swag
    - Preggers

That's just a short list; there's a few more but I can't recall them atm.

Tirion

Lint Magnet
    Years
  • I hate the "former/latter" construction, as in: "The former means X, the latter means Y."

I can't explain why, but I detest it. I will go to great lengths to avoid using it in a paper.

I know there are a few others I hate whenever they come up, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Why is that (though I probably already know the answer)

I believe in the 100% open and relaxed exchange of information at all times, and such communication is often hindered by the idea that something is not appropriate to be heard by present company.

Back