• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Plot, Planning & Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Nah, you don't need to call it "journey rp" outright :3 but if you intend for players to travel and collect badges, that's what we've come to call that kind of rp. If it's more plot-based or special than that though, journey might not be the best label for it :)

Just figure the background out (like who that guy is) before you post the rp. Otherwise you might find that you have steered yourself and your players into a plot corner at some point. I've been there >.<

Anytime~!

Pterosauria

Not a dinosaur
    Years
  • Would anybody be up for a Danmaku-themed rp? Like, with the players having little plane/spaceship things to shoot at giant bosses with? I'm thinking, at the moment, that there'll be some kind of dodge mechanic in place to simulate the love affair that the genre has with covering the screen in bullets, but I'm not completely sure what that mechanic will be just yet (suggestions are very welcome).

GreyBidoof

You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
    Years
  • Hey all,

So, I've been working on a superhero-themed roleplay concept for some time now. As of late, though, I have been wondering about the how to tweak the mechanics to the intended audience's liking. All that to say, I have a question: would it be more preferable for an RP of this sort to be chapter and team based (i.e. avengers, x-men) or something more open-world, as in sandbox style?

Also, it would be nice to hear if anyone is even interested in a superhero roleplay, so I don't end up wasting time making one :)

Snooper16

The Bionic Man
    Years
  • Hey guys, me again. I've been toying around with my idea, and came to the conclusion that the "Grid" battles just add a layer of unnecessary complexity. So here we are again, with my updated/edited idea (it's still a bit complex with customization, but it should be easier to understand in concept, hopefully):
    ---------------------------
    P.A.R.T. Battle - The Evolution

Rating: T

Plot: It is forty-five years since the incident with Team Flare. With the crowning of the new Champion of the Kalos Region, Alvus Sinclaire has announced a new technology that will sweep the entire Kalos region. Using Pokemon Alternate Reality Tarots (P.A.R.T.s), people can materialize Pokemon to use at their command, as though they are mere units in battle. The new technology boasts to make Pokemon immortal, and is fully customizable to every owner of the P.A.R.T. This means that P.A.R.T. owners can customize the weaknesses and resistances of their P.A.R.T., as well as several other attributes to make a P.A.R.T. personalized to every trainer. However, this newfangled P.A.R.T. technology has been met with opposition.

A resistance force (headed by Arlana Perul, the former Champion) dubbed "Team Paradox" by the government-run Pokemon League seeks to end the dictatorship and dystopian society of the Pokemon League and reveal the horrors involved in the creation of P.A.R.T.s. The public is unknowingly blind to the truth behind the creation of P.A.R.T. technology. P.A.R.T.s must use real Pokemon to materialize the respective Pokemon, and the Pokemon are only a "part" of what they used to be (a double meaning). Essentially, Team Paradox stresses the importance of the bonds between trainers and Pokemon, and how the Pokemon League under Alvus Sinclaire is destroying those bonds. Rumor has it that Team Paradox wants to track down and capture a legendary Pokemon to bring about its wrath on the Pokemon League.

Some side notes and other useful info for the RP:
    There's also the "middle ground" that is known as the Mercenaries Association. These mercenaries run a dangerous job, running back and forth from Team Paradox and the League. They just do what they can to get the money, no matter how dangerous the job may be. A mercenary can use both types of technology that is provided to them, though only one at a time, depending on which side they're fighting for at the time. They will be given the same technology if they constantly switch sides, so don't worry about losing your progress on either side! The organization is shrouded in secrecy, and no one knows where their base of operations is. For all we know, it could lie somewhere far beyond the Kalos region...!
    As stated before, P.A.R.T. Pokemon exchange individuality for immortality (their HP can still run out though, and it will be an RP day of cool-off time before you can use it again, unless you have a revive item chip on hand). Immortality just means that the Pokemon will never die of natural causes, etc.

Item Chips: A P.A.R.T. Pokemon can have up to three item chips equipped, much like real-life Amiibos can have three items equipped. These can alter any aspect of the P.A.R.T. Pokemon, including (but not limited to):
    Color= There are five colors: Regular by default/Shiny/Red/Blue/Yellow, and a rare EX color that can be unlocked by meeting certain criteria in the RP. There's even the secret DX color that can be obtained by participating in certain events for this particular RP. Only one color can be attached to any P.A.R.T. Pokemon at a time.
    Stats= Depending on the Item Chip, it can raise a certain base stat of the P.A.R.T. Pokemon it is equipped to. By that token, it will also lower a stat. Basic stat item chips will only raise a base stat by 10, as long as it's equipped. Multiple stat item chips can be equipped, though at the cost of using more equipment space. See serebii or other similar databases for base stats for all Pokemon.
    Held Item/Berries= Held items and berries work as they would if they were a normal item. Like the P.A.R.T. Pokemon, these items are compressed into a particular item, in this case the item chip. You can only equip one held item or berry on a P.A.R.T. Pokemon at a time.

Any "updates" you'd like me to implement are most welcome!
    There are perks to being a member of Team Paradox. They are as follows:
    Mega Stones= Since these stones are very rare, Team Paradox seeks to collect all of them as a secondary objective. Mega Stones can only be used by Team Paradox, as the League does not have the means of reproducing Mega Stone properties. In other words, the League cannot use Mega-evolved/primal Pokemon.
    Trainer Items= These include (but are certainly not limited to): Potions, Full Restores, Revives, etc.
    Accessories= Unlike P.A.R.T. Pokemon, the degree of customization with real Pokemon is almost endless. If you're bringing any of your Pokemon from a past adventure (any RP you may have participated in, as long as it's within the timeframe between X/Y and this RP), they are allowed to retain defining accessories that indicate it as yours. Since the customization for real Pokemon is endless, I won't keep track of whose Pokemon has what accessories. Go wild!

Any suggestions for more customizations for real Pokemon are also welcome!
    You may have up to three trainer characters in this RP, since it gets hard to manage several characters at once. How you distribute them among the three sides is up to you, however.
    Join the Hero Side (Pokemon League), the Dark Side (Team Paradox), or the Mercenaries Association and decide the fate of the Kalos region!

Years
  • Hey guys, me again. I've been toying around with my idea, and came to the conclusion that the "Grid" battles just add a layer of unnecessary complexity. So here we are again, with my updated/edited idea (it's still a bit complex with customization, but it should be easier to understand in concept, hopefully):
    P.A.R.T. Battle - The Evolution

Rating: T

Plot: It is forty-five years since the incident with Team Flare. With the crowning of the new Champion of the Kalos Region, Alvus Sinclaire has announced a new technology that will sweep the entire Kalos region. Using Pokemon Alternate Reality Tarots (P.A.R.T.s), people can materialize Pokemon to use at their command, as though they are mere units in battle. The new technology boasts to make Pokemon immortal, and is fully customizable to every owner of the P.A.R.T. This means that P.A.R.T. owners can customize the weaknesses and resistances of their P.A.R.T., as well as several other attributes to make a P.A.R.T. personalized to every trainer. However, this newfangled P.A.R.T. technology has been met with opposition.

A resistance force (headed by Arlana Perul, the former Champion) dubbed "Team Paradox" by the government-run Pokemon League seeks to end the dictatorship and dystopian society of the Pokemon League and reveal the horrors involved in the creation of P.A.R.T.s. The public is unknowingly blind to the truth behind the creation of P.A.R.T. technology. P.A.R.T.s must use real Pokemon to materialize the respective Pokemon, and the Pokemon are only a "part" of what they used to be (a double meaning). Essentially, Team Paradox stresses the importance of the bonds between trainers and Pokemon, and how the Pokemon League under Alvus Sinclaire is destroying those bonds. Rumor has it that Team Paradox wants to track down and capture a legendary Pokemon to bring about its wrath on the Pokemon League.

Some side notes and other useful info for the RP:
    There's also the "middle ground" that is known as the Mercenaries Association. These mercenaries run a dangerous job, running back and forth from Team Paradox and the League. They just do what they can to get the money, no matter how dangerous the job may be. A mercenary can use both types of technology that is provided to them, though only one at a time, depending on which side they're fighting for at the time. They will be given the same technology if they constantly switch sides, so don't worry about losing your progress on either side! The organization is shrouded in secrecy, and no one knows where their base of operations is. For all we know, it could lie somewhere far beyond the Kalos region...!
    As stated before, P.A.R.T. Pokemon exchange individuality for immortality (their HP can still run out though, and it will be an RP day of cool-off time before you can use it again, unless you have a revive item chip on hand). Immortality just means that the Pokemon will never die of natural causes, etc.

Item Chips: A P.A.R.T. Pokemon can have up to three item chips equipped, much like real-life Amiibos can have three items equipped. These can alter any aspect of the P.A.R.T. Pokemon, including (but not limited to):
    Color= There are five colors: Regular by default/Shiny/Red/Blue/Yellow, and a rare EX color that can be unlocked by meeting certain criteria in the RP. There's even the secret DX color that can be obtained by participating in certain events for this particular RP. Only one color can be attached to any P.A.R.T. Pokemon at a time.
    Stats= Depending on the Item Chip, it can raise a certain base stat of the P.A.R.T. Pokemon it is equipped to. By that token, it will also lower a stat. Basic stat item chips will only raise a base stat by 10, as long as it's equipped. Multiple stat item chips can be equipped, though at the cost of using more equipment space. See serebii or other similar databases for base stats for all Pokemon.
    Held Item/Berries= Held items and berries work as they would if they were a normal item. Like the P.A.R.T. Pokemon, these items are compressed into a particular item, in this case the item chip. You can only equip one held item or berry on a P.A.R.T. Pokemon at a time.

Any "updates" you'd like me to implement are most welcome!
    There are perks to being a member of Team Paradox. They are as follows:
    Mega Stones= Since these stones are very rare, Team Paradox seeks to collect all of them as a secondary objective. Mega Stones can only be used by Team Paradox, as the League does not have the means of reproducing Mega Stone properties. In other words, the League cannot use Mega-evolved/primal Pokemon.
    Trainer Items= These include (but are certainly not limited to): Potions, Full Restores, Revives, etc.
    Accessories= Unlike P.A.R.T. Pokemon, the degree of customization with real Pokemon is almost endless. If you're bringing any of your Pokemon from a past adventure (any RP you may have participated in, as long as it's within the timeframe between X/Y and this RP), they are allowed to retain defining accessories that indicate it as yours. Since the customization for real Pokemon is endless, I won't keep track of whose Pokemon has what accessories. Go wild!

Any suggestions for more customizations for real Pokemon are also welcome!
    You may have up to three trainer characters in this RP, since it gets hard to manage several characters at once. How you distribute them among the three sides is up to you, however.
    Join the Hero Side (Pokemon League), the Dark Side (Team Paradox), or the Mercenaries Association and decide the fate of the Kalos region!

I think you have a really interesting idea here (as think I have said before). This kind of reminds me of the Mirage Pokemon movie with odd hints of Megaman and Digimon Tamers haha. It seems kind of strange that you have made the P.A.R.T. users the "hero side" to me though since they sound more like the antagonists of your plot than the protagonists. I think a little more detail on how P.A.R.T users battle would be a good idea too.

Aside from that I have some questions
    - Is this sandbox, chapter-based or a combination?
    - Why have you chosen a T rating since your plot seems to have some darker undertones?
    - Are the former champion and champion going to played NPCs?
    - What is the point of colours for P.A.R.T.s?
    - Since you use the term Tarots, are P.A.R.T.s card? Or are they stored digitally somehow?
    - How are chips equipped to P.A.R.T.s?
    - Are there advantages and disadvantages to using P.A.R.T.s or real pokemon?
    - What kind of pokemon do these mercenaries use?
    - Are the mercenaries relevant to the plot?

That's all for now, keep up the good work!

Snooper16

The Bionic Man
    Years
  • I think you have a really interesting idea here (as think I have said before). This kind of reminds me of the Mirage Pokemon movie with odd hints of Megaman and Digimon Tamers haha. It seems kind of strange that you have made the P.A.R.T. users the "hero side" to me though since they sound more like the antagonists of your plot than the protagonists. I think a little more detail on how P.A.R.T users battle would be a good idea too.

Aside from that I have some questions
    - Is this sandbox, chapter-based or a combination?
    - Why have you chosen a T rating since your plot seems to have some darker undertones?
    - Are the former champion and champion going to played NPCs?
    - What is the point of colours for P.A.R.T.s?
    - Since you use the term Tarots, are P.A.R.T.s card? Or are they stored digitally somehow?
    - How are chips equipped to P.A.R.T.s?
    - Are there advantages and disadvantages to using P.A.R.T.s or real pokemon?
    - What kind of pokemon do these mercenaries use?
    - Are the mercenaries relevant to the plot?

That's all for now, keep up the good work!

Well, it's supposed to be a bit deceiving; Traditionally, the League (like in B/W) are the good guys, hence why it carries on to be called so here. Though you're right, in the sense that they are truly the antagonists by motive. Now to answer the rest of your questions:

1. The way I envisioned it, I plan to keep this alive for as long as possible, but at the same time have some kind of plot. So a bit of sandbox and chapter-based sounds right.
    2. Well, it's kind of hard to say. For one, I'd like to keep the foul language to a minimum, but at the same time, there may be some violence involved. I can up it to "M" if it needs to be.
    3. Arlana and Alvus will be played by me; this means I would be taking up two of my three character slots (one for each side), for fairness.
    4. Color item chips simply add a layer of customization and expression to P.A.R.T. Pokemon.
    5. They're kind of both. They're small cards (or tarots), but they have the technology infused into them to generate the Pokemon depicted on the tarot.
    6. Chips are simply plugged into a space on the P.A.R.T.s There are three small ports on each P.A.R.T. tarot (all on the front side, which also displays information on the Pokemon). The backside is simply a design like you would see in a TCG.
    7. The advantages and disadvantages are as follows:
    P.A.R.T. Pros = Customizable stats (like Amiibos), colors palettes, and possibly more if I or anyone else can think of any. Furthermore, the League is already in control of most legendary Pokemon, and Alvus himself using a P.A.R.T. Reshiram.
    P.A.R.T. Cons = Pokemon lose individuality after going through the P.A.R.T. creation process. Individuality, meaning nature, IVs, and other qualities that are different between all Pokemon. Also, there are no Megas available for the League, as they could not find any objects needed to research it.
    Real Pokemon Pros = Retain their individuality, and can be trained to be your companions and partners. This means they also retain their emotions and feelings. You can also use Mega Pokemon only if you're on the Paradox side.
    Real Pokemon Cons = Stats can only be customized by EVs. Other qualities like IVs and Nature are given at birth, making it limiting to customize your stats.
    8. Mercenaires can use both kinds of Pokemon; however (for the sake of consistency and not to give themselves away as a Mercenary) it depends on the side they are working for at the time. If they're working for the League, for example, they would be given P.A.R.T. Pokemon, and the opposite is true if they are working for Team Paradox. However, they are able to keep their progress on both sides, so roleplayers who want to play as a Mercenary don't have to worry about losing their P.A.R.T.s and Pokemon. This also means they are given the same P.A.R.T.s and Pokemon every time they switch sides, however. This doesn't mean that their collection of P.A.R.T.s/Pokemon cannot expand, though.
    9. Mercenaries are really just there to assist the sides in combat. This may turn the tide of battle, however, so they are still important. Possible spoilers for the Mercenaries may follow, so click if you don't mind getting spoiled slightly:
    Spoiler:

Now that that's cleared up (hopefully), I can properly thank you for your inquiries. Every bit helps in developing this RP. :)

Emakrul

To Hell and Back
    Years
  • I noticed there are johto and hoenn rps, but no kanto rp threads. Just wondering if any one would be interested in traveling through kanto in an rp. Also, would people be interested in traveling through multiple regions in the same rp like GSC did? I originally was planning a Hoenn rp, but then noticed that Varys the galvantula has one going and is doing a great job GM-ing it. Any and all feedback regarding these ideas is appreciated.

GreyBidoof

Years
  • I noticed there are johto and hoenn rps, but no kanto rp threads. Just wondering if any one would be interested in traveling through kanto in an rp. Also, would people be interested in traveling through multiple regions in the same rp like GSC did? I originally was planning a Hoenn rp, but then noticed that Varys the galvantula has one going and is doing a great job GM-ing it. Any and all feedback regarding these ideas is appreciated.

Um... Begin Again is a Kanto RP, and quite a popular one at that.

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
    Years
  • For my upcoming rp, Is this an OK quality for a map or do I need to see if a professional(or somekind of graphics shop in PC) will make it look better?
    Spoiler:

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    For my upcoming rp, Is this an OK quality for a map or do I need to see if a professional(or somekind of graphics shop in PC) will make it look better?
    Spoiler:

Looks good enough to me - I've made some pretty awful maps in the past and they looked far worse than this one!

Emakrul

To Hell and Back
    Years
  • For my upcoming rp, Is this an OK quality for a map or do I need to see if a professional(or somekind of graphics shop in PC) will make it look better?
    Spoiler:

It'll definitely get the job done for showing people generally where try are. But the flavor of the terrain should be given through text so that people can really feel the area their walking through. Especially since it's not a cannon map, like Hoenn or sinnoh, you'll be providing a completely new experience.

On another note; I'm thinking about visiting Ransai, but with the ability to travel routes between castles which would become cities and battle the warlords who would become gym leaders. 17 gym leaders aren't too many, right? But seriously though, I feel like it's something that hasn't been done before, and would provide some different stories to be available in the area. Once again, constructive criticism from everyone would be awesome.

Years
    • Age 22
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2015
    I was wondering if anybody was interested in a Sinnoh RP, similar to Begin Again or Varys' Hoenn RP. A mostly sandbox RP, where I control what areas are open and what pokemon are available. The main goal would be for everyone to reach the Lily of the Valley (the Sinnoh Pokemon League).

I'd present options, quests, and missions, allowing the players to decide the plot.

Thoughts?

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
    Years
  • I was wondering if anybody was interested in a Sinnoh RP, similar to Begin Again or Varys' Hoenn RP. A mostly sandbox RP, where I control what areas are open and what pokemon are available. The main goal would be for everyone to reach the Lily of the Valley (the Sinnoh Pokemon League).

I'd present options, quests, and missions, allowing the players to decide the plot.

Thoughts?
    Sinnoh was my first Pokemon Game, although I feel that the opening scene is a tincy bit tedious. And Gen 4 would be my favourite one in terms of the legends. But to be honest I found the variety of pokemon, slightly mundane. And the overall story seems to have a general flat tone. With me, Sinnoh is a love-hate relationship. The first time I played, I got to sunnyshore city and my game crashed whenever I went in to the Gym. After a long while... It didn't boot up at all. I have recently bough Platinum to actually finish the game. Really, while I should like Sinnoh, going through it again made it turn stale. The Pokemon aren't too exotic. The Sinnoh game seems to hous all the cutesy pokemon, like buneary and that god awful Buziel. I mean it doesn't feel like a water type. The Ice types are dissappointing. The Starly line and Bidoofs are just bland. It honestly feels like the most "Let me hold your hand and lead you through these copies of Brock and other Miscellaneous gym leaders. The Music wasn't much to speak of. It seemed the pokemon variety forced everyone to have the same team, I remember vividly catching pokemon because they are novelty, the but all the powerful pokemon were the same in every person's games.

Apologies for my little rant about Pearl. I know it's more about the game I ranted about but the bland variety of pokemon is off putting.

On a different note, are these rules fair?
    When a key battle is happening, the outcome will be decided by the quality of your writing or a dice roll, leave your post open ended and you and your opponent should agree on whether to be decided on dice roll or writing quality.
    Your Inactivity Grace Period Is 84 HOURS Without Reason, (4 Days)

GreyBidoof

Years
  • Although I get it, every game needs it's ratatta, but it is so abundunt it's unreal. I don't feel in wonder as I wait for the next encounter, this applies to all Sinnoh Pokemon.

Bidoof is quite possibly the best Pokemon of all time. I feel excited every time I encounter one. (lol) :)

Years
    • Age 22
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2015
    They were a pain in Shadows of Almia. Plus Keith always beat me in that stupid competition...

But, if I were to make a Sinnoh roleplay, would anybody be interested?

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    For my upcoming rp, Is this an OK quality for a map or do I need to see if a professional(or somekind of graphics shop in PC) will make it look better?
    Spoiler:

That looks like a good enough map so that the RPers know what's going on. You can always add details on the places as you're about to head there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back