• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Plot, Planning & Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Oh. I should probably have mentioned that the SCP foundation is a creepypasta website xD

Sorry.

But back on track. Do you think this is a good idea for a Roleplay?

It sounds like a really unique and interesting kind of idea. Like Slenderman meets Indiana Jones.
    I say flesh it out a bit more and make a proper OP write-up for us to see maybe, but go for it.

Also, the spoiler below contains to full write-up for Gunpowder, what do you think?
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • It sounds like a really unique and interesting kind of idea. Like Slenderman meets Indiana Jones.
    I say flesh it out a bit more and make a proper OP write-up for us to see maybe, but go for it.

Also, the spoiler below contains to full write-up for Gunpowder, what do you think?
    Spoiler:

Very interesting RP concept. There's just one thing I think needs to be changed - the amount of players. As a sandbox RP, I think there should be much more space for people to join to make the world as big and vast as possible. It's especially hard for people to commit in sandbox RPs as there are very few specific objectives or set plots to follow. Take the Pokemon Academy as an example - the character number is quite high and people constantly drop in and out over time. Plots are self-made and not predefined. Gunpowder doesn't have any restrictions on plot, allowing it to do the same.

(also, what are those islands on the northern part of the island? jungles or accommodations?)

Years
  • Very interesting RP concept. There's just one thing I think needs to be changed - the amount of players. As a sandbox RP, I think there should be much more space for people to join to make the world as big and vast as possible. It's especially hard for people to commit in sandbox RPs as there are very few specific objectives or set plots to follow. Take the Pokemon Academy as an example - the character number is quite high and people constantly drop in and out over time. Plots are self-made and not predefined. Gunpowder doesn't have any restrictions on plot, allowing it to do the same.

(also, what are those islands on the northern part of the island? jungles or accommodations?)

I suppose I can do what is becoming quite common and not have a limit on players. Then I can just close it off if I feel I've got a bit many. Would that be better?

Those northern islands are plot irrelevant islands coated in ice. Ice blue = ice on that map xD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Oh. I should probably have mentioned that the SCP foundation is a creepypasta website xD

Sorry.

But back on track. Do you think this is a good idea for a Roleplay?
    I think it can definitely be interesting. But maybe you should have a defined plot and make the players come together early on as one or a couple of groups, with the plot focusing on mystery. As opposed to having a sandbox-like adventure where players make up a lot of their own artifacts and situations.

Years
  • I think it can definitely be interesting. But maybe you should have a defined plot and make the players come together early on as one or a couple of groups, with the plot focusing on mystery. As opposed to having a sandbox-like adventure where players make up a lot of their own artifacts and situations.

I have to agree with this, you might want to make it more plot driven. Perhaps do something similar to the show The Librarians.

Years
    • Age 22
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2015
    Just had a thought, due to the new Pokecommunity Pokemon Showdown League, I was thinking it would be cool to use Pokemon Showdown for a roleplay. Have it be an RP in a tournament setting, or even a journey rp for certain situations. I just thought it would be a cool idea.

Years
  • Just had a thought, due to the new Pokecommunity Pokemon Showdown League, I was thinking it would be cool to use Pokemon Showdown for a roleplay. Have it be an RP in a tournament setting, or even a journey rp for certain situations. I just thought it would be a cool idea.

That has been suggested before (and iirc there's actually a "roleplay" channel on Showdown. However to coordinate server battles and RP posts could be a bit tricky and might stifle creativity.

Foxrally

Years
  • That has been suggested before (and iirc there's actually a "roleplay" channel on Showdown. However to coordinate server battles and RP posts could be a bit tricky and might stifle creativity.

I think there's also a roleplay channel on the official PS. I visited, and good god that place is weird O_o

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    hi! i'm currently working on a Mystery Dungeon roleplay in the sandbox style of the already existing Pokémon Trainer Academy RP. i don't have a whole lot written out yet, but i just wanted to get some feedback on what i have so far as i still have some doubts about whether the mechanics i have in mind will work. i'm still trying to figure out what will be best regarding a level system, too, so any feedback on that would be nice too. (Pokemon level, explorer level, or even no level system at all?)
    ... and i also need some advice on whether or not to create an overarching storyline. i'm not in PTA myself, so i don't know how it gets handled in there, either. but um, here's what i have so far. i'll add CSS later ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ

Spoiler:

Years
  • hi! i'm currently working on a Mystery Dungeon roleplay in the sandbox style of the already existing Pokémon Trainer Academy RP. i don't have a whole lot written out yet, but i just wanted to get some feedback on what i have so far as i still have some doubts about whether the mechanics i have in mind will work. i'm still trying to figure out what will be best regarding a level system, too, so any feedback on that would be nice too. (Pokemon level, explorer level, or even no level system at all?)
    ... and i also need some advice on whether or not to create an overarching storyline. i'm not in PTA myself, so i don't know how it gets handled in there, either. but um, here's what i have so far. i'll add CSS later ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ

Spoiler:

I'm not usually a fan of PMD roleplays, but this actually looks really cool so far.
    I really like the idea of it serving as something of an academy for wannabe explorers.

I'd suggest not having any major overarching plot, but sometimes posting plot events that people can choose to be a part of.

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    I'm not usually a fan of PMD roleplays, but this actually looks really cool so far.
    I really like the idea of it serving as something of an academy for wannabe explorers.

I'd suggest not having any major overarching plot, but sometimes posting plot events that people can choose to be a part of.

thanks much! yeah, i think the optional plot events would probably be better as well. i definitely plan on making the Exploration missions to new dungeons into periodic events.

the 'academy' idea is mostly taken from PMD:Explorers, but of course PTA had an influence as well. i think it's nice to have some kind of sense of progress and getting stronger, especially when playing as a Pokémon rather than a Trainer. to that end, i was thinking to implement some sort of level-system, but i'm not sure how yet. do you (or anyone else reading this) have any thoughts on that maybe?

Foxrally

Years
  • hi! i'm currently working on a Mystery Dungeon roleplay in the sandbox style of the already existing Pokémon Trainer Academy RP. i don't have a whole lot written out yet, but i just wanted to get some feedback on what i have so far as i still have some doubts about whether the mechanics i have in mind will work. i'm still trying to figure out what will be best regarding a level system, too, so any feedback on that would be nice too. (Pokemon level, explorer level, or even no level system at all?)

Spoiler:

It seems very interesting so far. I know this is a sandbox, but I remember an event that happened back in 2013 which was also a PMD RP (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - PC Version) it was more story-based, but the GMs put people into teams left clues lying around the forum on how to advance. It was pretty fun :D

Here it is, you might want to get some inspiration.

Years
  • It seems very interesting so far. I know this is a sandbox, but I remember an event that happened back in 2013 which was also a PMD RP (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - PC Version) it was more story-based, but the GMs put people into teams left clues lying around the forum on how to advance. It was pretty fun :D

Here it is, you might want to get some inspiration.

I don't think something like that is really that plausible as a normal RP.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I don't think something like that is really that plausible as a normal RP.
    Nah, but if someone wants to orchestrate another event like that, the mods are probably up for pulling the necessary strings to make it work ;)

Foxrally

Years
  • Because the last event I did turned out great xD

Psh, it only ended up doing bad because I wasn't in it. I would have solo-posted through the entire thing and turned the RP into a fanfic about my waterbender character from the 2013 Avatar: New Legends RP.

Don't be discouraged though! RP deaths happen, it's the cycle of nature *pats GP like a parent consoles a child whose pet goldfish just died*

Emakrul

To Hell and Back
    Years
  • Please critique this peice. I've ha this idea for a while, but I haven't been able to figure out a good reason for the world to be experienced. I've come up with a sort of bad guy based exigence that I think is interesting but there might be plot holes or confusing bits. That's where you guys come in, help me by asking questions and providing constructive criticism so that I can make this into a fun rp.

Spoiler:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Please critique this peice. I've ha this idea for a while, but I haven't been able to figure out a good reason for the world to be experienced. I've come up with a sort of bad guy based exigence that I think is interesting but there might be plot holes or confusing bits. That's where you guys come in, help me by asking questions and providing constructive criticism so that I can make this into a fun rp.

Spoiler:
    Firstly, this reads more like an opening post in the IC thread than background information for a roleplay. It's kind of weird to switch from second person to first person somewhere there at the beginning :3 Stick to one and try to decide how you want to tell enough of the background so that the players get a decent idea of what they will be doing in the RP.

Right now, this tells me that it's proooobably some kind of journey RP? But with a twist since there's a mysterious man directing the youngsters who want to leave Littleroot. Interesting!

I'm just curious - have you thought up who this man is and what his goals really are? You don't have to tell us here (but maybe in a
    Spoiler:

Emakrul

To Hell and Back
    Years
  • Firstly, this reads more like an opening post in the IC thread than background information for a roleplay. It's kind of weird to switch from second person to first person somewhere there at the beginning :3 Stick to one and try to decide how you want to tell enough of the background so that the players get a decent idea of what they will be doing in the RP.

Right now, this tells me that it's proooobably some kind of journey RP? But with a twist since there's a mysterious man directing the youngsters who want to leave Littleroot. Interesting!

I'm just curious - have you thought up who this man is and what his goals really are? You don't have to tell us here (but maybe in a if you want!) but you should know this for your own sake and have a secret plan for where you want the RP to go, before you start it.

"Firstly":
    I sort of wanted people to see inside of this guys head. He thinks he's doing something good but there are going to be times when he leads the kids astray.
    You're right, I do switch it up in the beggining. I might switch to a third person omniscient viewpoint for the whole piece, but that's kind of hard since I don't know what a majority of the characters in the scene look like.

"Right now":
    I think it is a journey rp, should I say that outright so people know what they're getting into?

"I'm just curious":

Spoiler:

Thanks for your reply adventure, you have some da3n good critique in you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back