• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Acanthite – The GSC Prequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Love the list :).
    But why the following pokemon (In this game's pokedex order): Magikarp, Gyarados, Zubat, Golbat, Crobat, Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, Geodude, Graveler, Golem, Tentacool, Tentacruel, Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu, Goldeen, Seaking, Machop, Machoke, Machamp (may had missed a few)

All the above are the only ones to appear in at least 3 of the 4 original reigons (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Shino) so far.

I'm not complaining or anything i just wanna know why these pokemon are appering in Mento when they appeared too much in the other reigons.

Those are the Generic Pokemon that all regions have to have.

Also, its called Merto :P

Tendoman77

Formerly known as "Da Man"
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Least I was close to the name of the reigon :P.
    Oh so they Generic Pokemon? Is it Gamefreak's policy to have them appear in every reigon?

I hope the Generic Pokemon won't be TOO common in Merto, I seen enough of them mostly in Hoenn (thanks to large parts of it being sea routes and caves).

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • We're trying to populate each area accurately. Fortunately, there aren't too many caves, and there are enough new Pokémon for every area anyway :)

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Good because i loathe them and I made a eureka. Somewhere here there is a thread called game archive with the original acanthite demo. Dont tell them to take it off until I download It cause I know you hate it F.O.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Good because i loathe them and I made a eureka. Somewhere here there is a thread called game archive with the original acanthite demo. Dont tell them to take it off until I download It cause I know you hate it F.O.

I'm going to tell you something, and listen closely. The Original Acanthite demo is just a shadow compared to the Demo that is in progress. I doubt the next demo is even going to look like the first. The starters have changed and there are alot of glitches, I wouldn't suggest wasting your time.

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • Just to keep you all in check with what's going on.

We've settled on a summer demo with 3 badges, taking you up to Mezereon City. It does leave you with a delightful cliffhanger, so you should hopefully enjoy what we present in a few short months' time. We're feeling very positive about the overall quality of what we can deliver.

This gives me time to do my A levels and finish school and also allows the design team to tweak and rework our designs. In a daring move initiated by Nelson, aka Plateface, we've elected to have our weaker designs refreshed and improved, and ones that on the whole don't fit into Acanthite in hindsight will be replaced by stronger designs. We may even be seeing new evolutions for Seaking and Lumineon ;)

We're also replacing all designs credited to RegisteelDS. We are very fond of his work and that is why we used it in the first place. However, as it was initially given to us by a filthy, dirty, evil imposter, and we were merely allowed to keep them through the generosity of the true RegiDS, we feel that these Pokémon, while excellent, don't belong to us. We'd prefer to have a cohesive generation of Pokémon unique to the Acanthite team. Apologies to any fans of his Pokémon who were looking forward to seeing them in game; we hope to see suitable replacements for these, and in some cases we will be inspired by his concepts.

As a result of this, the official art is being redone to a higher standard; both designs and artwork will be improving. Nelson will be releasing art at approximately one new piece per day as long as it is possible and I'll deliver them to you here every so often along with progress updates if people are interested to see.

A final, final Pokédex will be revealed in due course upon the completion of the redesign process. Thank you all for your patience.

The first piece of new official art for the game is Splish. The design has stayed mostly the same, but this should show the kind of output we're hoping for with official images of our new Pokémon.
    Splish_by_Plateman.png

Stay tuned!

Rekon

Gekkomodo! I Choose You!
    Years
  • Does that mean you will be getting rid of: Helmite, Armapill, The topi line, Phylinx line, absi, prodisc, mawtress, the bamor line and most importantly, the awesomeness that is Fornette.

Oh well at least the awesome Gekkomodo stays. :)

I'm sure the designs you replace them with will be awesome.

Great looking Game.

Last edited:

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • There's a question mark over Helmite and Armapill as they may stay more or less as they are - they're reasonably removed from the RegisteelDS originals and we were always going to have an armoured bug of the sort. The names are ours as well. We're not sure exactly what's going to happen but not too much will change there.

Topi, Tophai and Tophade, Phyllynx and Ambion, Absi, Prodisc, Mawtress, Bamor, Plator and Valior, and Fornette will all be removed. Fornette's replacement has been decided and we are keeping a Banette evolution. The new one is somewhat more original ;) Mawile will still get an evolution, and Prodisc is likely to be replaced with a Lumineon evolution. We're not sure what we'll be replacing the others with just yet.

As I'm posting now, I may as well tell you that Craguppie and Mountuna art has been released, so here it is :) Enjoy

Craguppie_Official_Art_by_Plateman.png

Mountuna_Official_Art_by_Plateman.png

No new game features to talk about just yet, I'm currently refining the events in the early part of the game. It's currently playing quite well up to and including Pinefall City, and random encounters are going very well in particular. Different things are showing up at different times of the day as planned :)

Some cutscenes have been improved considerably, and on the whole the dialogue is better too. Sorry for the lack of screenshots but as said already, there are no features that haven't been seen already.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2009
    Let me just say that those designs are noticeably improved over the old ones.

Looks good, can't wait for the demo!

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • I'm afraid not - it would mean that one Pokémon would be able to evolve three times, and that never happens. Sorry! We did have Porygon0.5 before PorygonZ messed up our concept. DP did a few things to annoy us XD

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • Those new designs look great. ^_^ It's nice you're able to paint a bit like Sugimori, so the Pokemon look really official. =)
    It's nice to hear that things are turning out great. =D

AeroMaxx

Tanzanite Pokedex Coordinator
    Years
  • Sorry to ask, but I could not help seeing what program you make Acanthite on... RMXP or Sphere, or you created everything from scratch? Just wondering

Rekon

Gekkomodo! I Choose You!
    Years
  • Sorry to ask, but I could not help seeing what program you make Acanthite on... RMXP or Sphere, or you created everything from scratch? Just wondering

I can answer your question, i'm sure they are using RMXP.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Yeah, Acanthite is being run on RMXP.

We aren't using the starter kit, if that's what you're asking.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2008
    cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brendan mc

{}[][]Game Developer[][]{}
    Years
  • Hey, You could say Porygon Don't Evolve into Porygon-z because of a virus in it's programming, So when they evolve, They are ???. Take it to a scientist, he runs tests. Come back a few mins later. Whala. You have Porygon0.5

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • Hey, You could say Porygon Don't Evolve into Porygon-z because of a virus in it's programming, So when they evolve, They are ???. Take it to a scientist, he runs tests. Come back a few mins later. Whala. You have Porygon0.5

Nah, has to evolve into Porygon-Z as we don't ignore the canon of the franchise but thanks for the suggestion.

What I have for you today is a new-look Merto region!

We wanted as much authenticity to the Pokémon series as was possible. Now, the first thing to do here is the region on an actual Japanese region.

Based loosely on the Tohoku region of Japan, the new Merto came to life. If one studies the north-east part of the main island of Japan, that's what it is. You'll see a little peninsula on there at the top, and that was adapted into an island. The two main parts of Merto are Amoro (north) and Hokoh (south).

Tohoku was suitable for many reasons. It's quite mountainous and harsh in terrain, as is Merto, and also very scenic. Also, there are three sacred mountains which were adapted into the elemental triangle surrounding Tyridan Isle. Overlake City becomes a reference to the large lakes in Tohoku. And being a Pokémon game, we had some creative lisence over what else to do :)

There's a couple more towns and locations just to enrich the experience and spread the sections of the game out so it doesn't seem rushed. All in all, it should be a very interesting region to explore.

The map itself - thanks to Houndoomed for the basis and the graphics I used to put this together.

worldmap.png

1. Newbloom Bay
    2. Elderwood Town
    3. Pinefall City
    4. Alderford City
    5. Hollybuck Town
    6. Mezereon City
    7. Pecanshore City
    8. Taramind Island
    9. Overlake City
    10. Dustlock Town
    11. Bambotta City
    12. Lusterleaf Port
    13. Paloverde City
    14. Hazelfrost City
    15. Cliffwing Town
    16. Rhusbay Town
    17. Greatvine Mountain

a. Limeburg Forest
    b. Larix Cave
    c. Ambrine Orchard
    d. Knothaven Cave
    e. Purification Plant
    f. Southwood Reserve
    g. Novene Temple
    h. Mt. Miasma
    i. Gonia Marsh
    j. Myrica Pass
    k. Victory Road

And this is how it might look on the Map page of the PokéGear (thanks to Pyro for the basis of this)
    gearmap.png

In other, less fortunate news, Nelson, lead Pokémon designer for our rethink of the Merto Dex and lead artist has decided to quit and pursue his own projects as well as kick-starting his studies. We're sorry to lose a very talented designer and artist who has given his all to the project, especially in the last year or so, and it is a shame that he pulled out before being able to finish the design process he put into motion. Likewise, his series of "official" art remains incomplete.

However, we can't afford to lose too much time and it's important to press on with this design process. It is my utmost pleasure to announce that established Acanthite designer KangasKid will be working with the very talented Purple Kecleon in refining the Merto Dex and ensuring that the Pokémon designs are all of the highest possible quality. So far, this newly formed design team has produced some OUTSTANDING work which will be available for your viewing in the very near future. This is certainly a profitable partnership bringing Acanthite up to the kind of quality that Nelson and the rest of the team envisaged.

Skume and Whiskunk have been replaced, as Stunky got there before us. Fortunately, something even better has come along and very soon we will reveal to you both diurnal and nocturnal normal Pokémon lines that will inhabit the early routes of the game. This is only the first in a series of improvements for the roster of new Pokémon in Acanthite.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Meh... I liked Skume. It was cute.

Anyway, great job with the map! Although I would suggest looking at the Sinnoh map in DP, as the coastlines in Houdoomed's tutorial aren't quite the same as the ones on the official map.

Only a suggestion, of course.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back