• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Acanthite – The GSC Prequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I have to say this is a remarkably interesting fangame. The pokémon are awesome, most of them look like the official ones, or better. As the one in Fanking's avatar ^^
    I'm actually falling in love with the new pokédex...

Spazzup

umm
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2008
    Well I for one would rather have new types and new Pokémon that same old, same old.

And I'm fairly certain that I'm not the only one.
    And I'm fairly certain that I'm not the only person who thinks that a Virus-type is absolutely ludicrous (Light isn't far off).

What I'm saying is that when something new is brought to the table it doesn't necessarily mean that it's good.

Skeetendo Inc.

The REAL Pokémon Company
    Years
  • And I'm fairly certain that I'm not the only person who thinks that a Virus-type is absolutely ludicrous (Light isn't far off).

What I'm saying is that when something new is brought to the table it doesn't necessarily mean that it's good.

Have you ever heard the expression "Don't judge a book by its cover."?

You can't really judge the types especially when you haven't had any experience with them yet. Why don't you wait for the game and find out how they are instead of jumping to a conclusion?

YoungAngel

Pokemon Master...Duh!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2008
    I got this same link to the official pokemon acanthite website when i was browsing to see if there were any new games coming out, do u know if its definate or at least the dating of the website updates??

Spazzup

umm
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2008
    Have you ever heard the expression "Don't judge a book by its cover."?

You can't really judge the types especially when you haven't had any experience with them yet. Why don't you wait for the game and find out how they are instead of jumping to a conclusion?

Maybe instead of blindly asskissing a fangame you're involved in you could actually think about it for a second and see for yourself if it would actually make sense in a Pokémon game.

Don't even get me started on the Virus-type Pokémon themselves--maybe I would see a bit more potential if they weren't so poorly designed.

Skeetendo Inc.

The REAL Pokémon Company
    Years
  • Maybe instead of blindly asskissing a fangame you're involved in you could actually think about it for a second and see for yourself if it would actually make sense in a Pokémon game.

Don't even get me started on the Virus-type Pokémon themselves--maybe I would see a bit more potential if they weren't so poorly designed.

How the hell am I "asskissing" a fan game I'm involved in? I'm simply saying that you shouldn't judge the type until you've actually played the game. I mean, how is it "poorly designed"? You've barley seen much from it right now.

Edit: I know what you're getting at... simply because of the poor 'virus' designs that people have used in other games. The design has been more though out in Acanthite instead of just being thrown in there.

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
  • I'm also not very partial towards Virus-types, mainly since cyber Pokemon interacting with real ones has always struck me as a dumb idea, Porygon included. And on that note, Porygon doesn't exactly strike me as a virus.

DarthSenorQueso

Officially number 1 snake
    Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    Well ithink its a good idea at least for the light i mean already theres dark.and heck missingnos not areal pokemon right now and people treat it like it is. nentendo intended for pokemon to have all sorts of creatures EVEN VIRTUAL ONES!!!

Minorthreat0987

Pokemon Tellurium
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2021
    Actually the new screens use a FR/LG font I believe, because Baskinein brought one with him when he began coding and scripting for Acanthite.

Anyway, the new screen are nice..., very very nice. I really am anticipating beta 2 for Acanthite, i remember it was close to being released the beginning of december than things happened so I would assume that it is still sort of close to being release. Either way I look forward to that day.

~Minothreat

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • And I'm fairly certain that I'm not the only person who thinks that a Virus-type is absolutely ludicrous (Light isn't far off).

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion and I encourage that but I will fight my corner here, because if I wasn't in a position to back up my decisions then I shouldn't have brought the two types into the game at all. However, as it stands, they both integrate into the game with purpose.

No, not everyone is keen on new. Some have in the past suggested that we don't use new Pokémon at all, but had we done that, the outstanding design team that has created such a fantastic body of work for this game wouldn't have worked so hard to ensure that they aesthetically belong in a Pokémon game alongside existing Pokémon from the official games. Yes, this is a Pokémon game, but it is certainly not official and we have some artistic license for that. If anything it would be criminal not to try thinking outside the box and doing something new. And that's where new types come in.

It worked for GSC so it can work for us. Some purists won't play a game after the original red and blue versions, citing new types and Pokémon as being "poorly designed". They're not, they're simply new and not a complete repetition of the first gen. And that's how it must be lest the franchise becomes stagnant. Take the aesthetics of the old and inject the new.

Now you raise a wonderful point that new doesn't automatically mean good. So that's why I try to weight decisions I make carefully so that I'm happy that people will have as much faith in the concepts as I will. Sadly, some people dismiss non-official new ideas. And Nintendo and Gamefreak themselves can do no right to satisfy fans of the originals when it comes to their new ideas. I'm not catering for those people, I'm wanting to develop this project to give people a new spin on the Pokémon franchise.

Light types make perfect sense, I have no idea why you consider it to border on ludicrous. It is no more ludicrous than Dark in that it is the natural total opposite. Likewise, this game is about the opposites of good and evil, the conflicting loyalties of the protagonist Kamon, and a more literal symbol of good vs. evil with Anjewl and Diavil which itself required an introduction of the Light type to counteract Dark. I shouldn't have to justify Light type to anyone; it embodies purity and goodness in contrast to the menace and negative connotations associated with Dark types.

Virus is a little harder to sell to a fickle audience but I will make my case. A lot of it was inspired by the artificial Porygon program but also the creation of Mewtwo. A big focus of this game is the effect that human science will have on the future, and Virus types are in a way a symbol of human experiments and interference with life gone wrong. In this game, the MissingNo. "program" experienced inside the PC system is the result of partial imprints left in cyberspace on occasion by erroneous code sequences experienced during Pokémon storage, and albeit a corrupt partial data stream, it picks up Pokémon-like traits and as part of Acanthite's NON-CANON Pokémon world, it is counted by the authorities as being a "species" unto itself to the extent that it can learn attacks and evolve.

Likewise, other Virus Pokémon are sometimes the result of Pokémon hackers engineering threats to cyberspace often to hijack data streams and perhaps steal Pokémon.

In this game, for the sake of story, Professor D. Aspen is the noted developer of the Porygon system, a system that can take data form as well as physical, which is often evolving to keep cyberspace, particularly Pokémon storage, clean and error free. Naturally it would need to evolve and develop to counteract dangerous viruses and threats which too evolve, hence the Virus type was created to provide these threats.

As mentioned, part of this game's theme is the consequence of human experiments with life, or artificial life. A subplot involves Prof. Sorrell's Enigo project, completely manmade life. However, this project is almost sabotaged and Sorrell dispatches the incomplete life form into cyberspace to protect it and it completes itself through harnessing data strings and projections to create a fully operational "digital" body. It evolves and becomes more consumed by corrupt data, hence the Dark/Virus Arcrupt. Whichever side of the new Virus type you look at, it works in a logical way.

Very very clever people who've followed the Acanthite project may be able to make a connection to these early artificial Pokémon developments and something else. The Virus type is an integral allegory for what humankind is doing through risky science experiments; whether the endeavours of humankind are good or evil are symbolised by the metaphor of Dark conflicting with Light, and whether these endeavours will lead to a balance or not.

So in the end, like it or not, these two new types make perfect sense when integrated into the themes of the story and the events and surroundings of this non-canon angle of Pokémon world that we are developing. Dismissing them as ludicrous is however a little judgemental, and to be honest with you, utterly wrong. Anyway, your opinion is now informed - decide for yourself.

The font is indeed a FRLG font that I managed to pick up and Baskinein managed to implement it and modify it so that awkward special characters now appear properly. It will be distributed when we get far enough with development with the demo which is currently on hold due to a silly amount of hindering circumstances. Thank you for your patience.

Last edited:

scienceboy

3 Gen Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2011
    you said about the virus types that they were created by humans - will we be able to create some in the game as a sort of mini game? like you have the option to make 3 pokemon but depending on what you do in the 'computer' it becomes only one of the three?
    that would be interesting, kinda like evee

kahlil

I want starters!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2013
    Wow!!! Cool!!!! How are you doing this game thing? Will It come out in malaysia and is it real Game and real new Pokemon!!!!??????!!!!!!

Skeetendo Inc.

The REAL Pokémon Company
    Years
  • Wow!!! Cool!!!! How are you doing this game thing? Will It come out in malaysia and is it real Game and real new Pokemon!!!!??????!!!!!!

1. Will it come out in Malaysia? Yes, it will be all over the world, as it will be released on the internet. Is it coming out in Malaysian? (The Language), the answer is most likely No

2. Is it a real game? Yes and No. It of course is really being made, but it's not an official game it's a fan game

3. Real new Pokémon? Yes and No. They are fan made Pokémon, made by the designers on the team that will be in the game, but they are not official.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back