• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokémon Gray - y/n? [ #20 ]

Pokémon Gray, yesss, nooo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    I'm disappointed to know that there won't be a third game considering that I've always bought the third game. Now, I'll have to pick one between Black and White. :[

Theres no evidence that we are not getting a third version

μοναδική τους ελπίδα
    Years
    Honestly, I mostly think it's too early to predict. So let me use the example I used in Nica's blog entry regarding the speech:

The Fairy Tail anime was originally going to end with 48 episodes or so, but its popularity caused a second season to happen. If Black and White are popular enough an if Nintendo believes they'll make a good profit with a third game, then they'll do it. If they nix it, there's a chance they'll have very disappointed supporters and thus might lose a bit of business. Then again, who knows, they might not think this way.

olih

Who says you can't go home?
    Years
    There's probably going to be another game. Game Freak always does that, except for HG/SS.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
    I'm convinced there will be a third version. I'm not sure if it will be called Gray or not, but the trend is to have a third version, and I don't see why they'd break it. Granted, they seem to be doing a lot of things differently for the new region. Mostly, I hope there will be a third one. The third one in each set is always the best, I think.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    There's probably going to be another game. Game Freak always does that, except for HG/SS.
    and Fr/Lg...people seem to have forgotten about the Kanto remakes of gen III...
    There has to be a third version...they are always the best ones for me out of the three :(

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Why except? Remakes are supposed to be 2 ;)
    Since FR/LG were remakes of original Japanese games Red and Green the fact that II gen remakes are going to be remakes only of Gold and Silver had been expected.
    If there were 3 original games then we'd get 3 remakes as well.

blue

gucci
    Years
    If there is no third game in development which would have been originally released for 2012, they must be working on something to be released in 2012 like Hiroshi Sotomura said, in my opinion I could possibly see a R/S remake because that is the only major thing that could be released during that time span, it would be 10 years on since R/S so is this on purpose so they could take out a third game and replace it with a R/S remake it would be perfect because it would be the first main title for the 3DS too.
    Although, it could be wrong, it's only early days, heck we haven't even got Pokémon Black and White yet and we're talking about a game that's released 2 years later, so it could easily be a hoax.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2022
    Was there like a third legendary pokemon in Black and White?? Like rayquaza for groudon and kyogre, and giratina for palkia and dialga. Because they seem to follow a pattern, new region, remake, new region, so ruby and sapphire can probably be expected, but a third black and white??? Idk, what pokemon would they base it on?

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Was there like a third legendary pokemon in Black and White?? Like rayquaza for groudon and kyogre, and giratina for palkia and dialga. Because they seem to follow a pattern, new region, remake, new region, so ruby and sapphire can probably be expected, but a third black and white??? Idk, what pokemon would they base it on?

LOL where have you been? Yep theres a 3rd dragon ice type

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Kweh, Black and White had lots of flaws.

True. >_> Granted, all Pokemon games arguably have flaws, but compared to past Generations, BW's flaws are a bit glaring.

Not releasing a third version is really the best decision Game Freak could make in this situation, I think. With the release of the 3DS in March, the DS will become a "dead system" - few companies, if any, will be developing new software for it; all the attention will have shifted to the current generation handheld. If a hypothetical "Pokemon Grey" were released for the DS two years later (to follow the release pattern), it would be a poor move on GF and Nintendo's part. A new DS games two years after the release of the 3DS? You don't need a lot of marketing savvy to see it's a stupid move. And if "Grey" were released as a 3DS title while still being obviously built on B/W's engine, any idiot could see it was just a DS game with a few throw-on enhancements to justify calling it a 3DS title. It would be a ripoff, and consumers would know it.

If the interview is to be believed, GF is doing the right thing by focusing on other projects or moving on to the next gen right away. Ideally, what I would love to see them do is experiment with 3DS programming by making either a Ruby/Sapphire remake, or a non-Pokemon project for the system, like maybe a Pulseman sequel or remake (well, we can hope =D ). While we're kept satisfied with those projects, GF would also be working on Gen VI; which, ideally, would be the Gold and Silver to B/W's RBY. Gen VI could be set in southern Connecticut, South Jersey, Pennsylvania or upstate New York; and Unova could be visited after completing the main storyline. Elements like renegade Team Plasma members, the God Stone, Kyurem's hidden moves, and N's past and future could be explored WITHOUT the need for a 3rd version, which seems like a win/win situation for all involved. We get a new gen and we're not fleeced by a painfully obvious money grab in the form of an outdated game on the 3DS or a game released for a dead system, and GF gets what it wants more of - money, money, money. :)

The DS won't become a "dead system" that quick...look at the GameBoy Advance. In the U.S., Pokemon Emerald, a GBA game, was released 6 months after the Nintendo DS was released, and it still became the third best-selling GBA game. Emerald was even marketed as being playable on the GBA and the DS. Plus, the Nintendo DS is widely owned and accessible, and I'm assuming it's gonna take some time for people to save up for a 3DS, considering it's being released at the same price that the Wii debuted at. Though I agree, the longer it takes for "Gray" to come out on the DS (if it's coming out on there), the more likely that sales will decline due to new technology.

As for ripoffs, I wouldn't exactly call "Gray on the 3DS" a ripoff. The 3DS enhancements coupled with the game being built off of BW's engine might actually come in handy, and would be a justified perk for the "third version" of BW. An example of a true Pokemon ripoff is when you sell Diamond and Pearl for the exact same price as Platinum ($35.00), while Platinum has more content in it.Last time I checked, several stores are pulling that off on consumers, yet the games appear to be selling healthily.

I don't feel that Generation 6 should be rushed into so hastily, unless the games are of great quality. We're just getting acclimated to Generation 5, and BW have several flaws that, IMO, need to be addressed... If they have any Gen 6 plans already, they might as well insert some of their plans into the development of "Gray", as focusing on a Gen 5 legendary in a Gen 6 game would be a bit awkward.

well take these changes to account

1.animated sprities for all trainer
    2. double battle with two seperate trainers( was there some in BW i dont remember)
    3.Battle frontier( maybe the battle subway can just be part of it like a battle tower)
    4.Rematch of gym leaders
    5.way to rebattle trainers
    6. twist in story about team plasma
    7.3rd dragon being part of the main story line
    8. updated battle screens( i would really like if i can see how many pokemon my opponet has during the battle)
    9.Hints about 3rd gen remakes( i think i have one )
    10. updated graphics

If these happen i think it would be worth while to make a 3rd game

i dont think im ready for the 6th gen. but if they make it like a G/S thing and add like only 50-70 new pokemon then why not lol

These alterations would be great in Gray Version.

They have to make a third one. It's a tradition! Every set (except for the remakes) has had a third game. I think they would be disappointing a lot of fans if they didn't. Even if I didn't buy it, I would be disappointed.

False.

First Gen had 4. Japan Red, Green, Blue (the third game), and Yellow (Anime bonus to promote the anime)

America only got Yellow, but that doesn't count for a third as it was more to promote the Anime relation like it was in Japan. It was just a Gimmick for sales.

All thirds after Gold/Silver/Crystal, were cheap copies that were just merging the two games before into one with a new main focus Legend. Crystal was the only one that completely rewrote the main story to focus on a lesser legend.

Really there are too many choices for a third as a focal point for a third game. Cobalon, Terrakon, Kyurem, one of the djinn. Even Zoroak or Zorua as a main focus would be a decent change.

Though I don't see there being a third and hope there isn't one.

How was Rai false? Third games have been tradition, and even if Yellow Version was "gimmicky", it's still the third Generation 1 release for America. :cer_confused: Heck, all of the subsequent third versions could be considered "gimmicks for sales", if you want to get technical...

I'm putting my hopes on IGN and saying no, if not I will never go on that site ever again.

But seriously it needs to be made. Gray, I mean. They're so many things that could make B/W better, such as the Pokemon Walking Behind You coding, Kyremu's alternate form and moves, plus a way to get Apricorn balls!

THANK YOU! Someone besides me actually cares about the Apricorn Balls and HGSS's Follow Me feature being potential features for Gray Version! :D

Anyway, I was appalled at the rumor of there being no Gray Version release. I personally think it's too early to tell, so I'm going to wait for further confirmation. I don't want to have to buy Black Version now and hold off other games just to find out that Someone Lied and Gray Version is actually getting released later on. They could also be doing wordplay, where "Gray Version" actually has another title... I'm hoping for a 3DS release of either Gray Version or the RS remakes. If a DS release of either of those is planned, preferably it should be within one to 1.5 year from now, or else the title will lose a bit of relevance to the "current-Gen" of consoles.

Personally, I firmly am of the stance that Generation 6 should not be rushed into. We have just gotten into Generation 5, and I do not want the main series of Pokemon to become one of those franchises that releases shoddily-made games yearly (in Pokemon's case, a potential franchise that releases shoddily-made Generations yearly :()

Ahh, glad to be posting in BW threads again! ;)

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I've read that it could be wrong and that it could be right. So I'm really not sure what to believe since both arguments had their points. As much as I always come to cherish the third game of a generation a little bit more than the others I can see a possible positive to this information being true. With the possibility of the third generation games being remade in this generation then the absence of a third game (gray) could mean these remakes might come sooner. Which if you're like me you hope they come as soon as possible!

So I won't be too hurt as long as a faster than usual release of the possible remakes come out. :D
    This is exactly how I feel about the presence or absence of a third game this generation. I also love the third games. Usually, there is always something a little more special about them. But I wouldn't miss Pokemon Gray at all if it meant I'd get my hands on RS remakes (or the next gen!) sooner rather than later.~

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    There's definitely going to be one - they don't just break tradition like that.

The one piece of evidence (and it is incredibly tenuous) that suggests maybe there won't be is the 'thematic motif' - to use a Bulbapedia term - of Gen V. These games are supposed to explore the relationship between opposites (i.e. Black and White, Reshiram and Zekrom, etc), so to create a game called Pokemon Grey, which is the middle ground, may not make much sense.

Pkmn Trainer Touko

King N's Queen
    Years
    I think it's impossible that there won't be a third game. I won't believe some random source.

It just wouldn't make sense at all. We have Black-Reshiram, and White-Zekrom. Kyerum would need it's own, since he is part of the trio. And, since the theme of Black and White is about how some people view the world as Black and White, but others' world view recognizes the "Grey" areas of life.

zealot

The King of Fail
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2024
    No way that they aren't going to make a third game.

I mean think about it, all they really have to do is change some trainers and dialogue, add a few plot devices, and instantly they have a third game that they can sell for the same price and get just as many people to buy it. The third game is too much of a moneymaker for them to stop, as it's far less work than making a brand new game but still makes tons of money. Sure, this one might be a bit more difficult since they are switching platforms, but it's still far less work than inventing a whole new region, group of pokemon, storyline, attacks and everything else that goes into a new generation.

As stated by others, this report contradicts an earlier one saying that there will be a third installment.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I've got good news for those that want the third game.

From Bulbapedia news said:
    In an interview with gaming site GameTrailers, Pokémon game developer and director Junichi Masuda spoke about Generation V of Pokémon. Among the many things that came up during the interview was the rumor that Black and White would not a have a third version.
    This rumor came to be after the Spanish site Meristation published an interview with Pokémon designer Mana Ibe in which it was denied that there would be a third version of Pokémon Black and White. Junichi Masuda stated that he did not recall ever saying there would not be another version, and that he was very surprised to hear about the rumor.
    It is unknown why Mana Ibe and Junichi Masuda did not make similar statements. The former was also present during the more recent interview with GameTrailers, but she was not asked about her previous comment.

Junichi Matsuda is playing the innocent game with the news that Mana Ibe had said there was no Third Game planned for Black and White. Jun pleads the fifth and Mana may be in big trouble now.

THIS is how you dodge the question while trying to keep interest in it. You play the I don't know or Not right now card. Jun's denial of Mana's claim means that he may have some ideas and doesn't completely dismiss the possibility. That is how you do proper interview marketing when commenting on a future project. Straight up denying mean exactly what it means, but attempted dodging means there is still the possibility.

So Third Game is STILL possible much to my dismay. I hope Mana Ibe doesn't get fired or arrested like the guy that leaked the Starter Evolutions.

AngelXavier

The Blue Dawg
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2011
    They're obviously gonna do one. I can't wait to see what improvements and additions they add into the game.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I've got good news for those that want the third game.

Junichi Matsuda is playing the innocent game with the news that Mana Ibe had said there was no Third Game planned for Black and White. Jun pleads the fifth and Mana may be in big trouble now.

THIS is how you dodge the question while trying to keep interest in it. You play the I don't know or Not right now card. Jun's denial of Mana's claim means that he may have some ideas and doesn't completely dismiss the possibility. That is how you do proper interview marketing when commenting on a future project. Straight up denying mean exactly what it means, but attempted dodging means there is still the possibility.

So Third Game is STILL possible much to my dismay. I hope Mana Ibe doesn't get fired or arrested like the guy that leaked the Starter Evolutions.

Yeah...I wish Mana Ibe had said something that conveyed "I don't know at this moment in time" rather than getting us in a tizzy with phrases that implied denial of a third version rather than support. I don't think she should reprimanded at all for her statements; it's not like she was trying to leak anything. Ibe was simply doing a harmless interview, and an unfortunate question had to crop up in the conversation, inadvertently sparking somewhat illogical rumors about whether Gray Version was existent or not. The Corocoro leaker, however, pretty much had disciplinary action coming to him, though I slightly feel sorry for him. When people say don't leak stuff, DO NOT LEAK STUFF. Simple as that. He shouldn't have catered to the impatience of fans if it meant risking his job and/or legal record.

Whoa someone was arrested? Holy crap!

Anyway, looks like I'll be putting away $45 for a while...

Yeah...you can read about it in this article. Remind me of why I hate leakers with a passion, as they ruin the spirit of things.

Back