• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Maize Version [BETA 3 RELEASED]

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    I changed the way how Rings work. Before, to activate a Ring, you had to put it at the top of your inventory. Now, you wear a Ring by using it like you would any other item. You can only wear one Ring at a time still. You can take off a Ring by wearing another Ring or by using the same Ring again. If you deposit the Ring you're wearing into the PC, then it removes that Ring so you aren't wearing it anymore. I also added a window to the item screen so it's easy to tell which one you're currently wearing (see screenshots below):

Pokémon Maize Version [BETA 3 RELEASED]

Nice! Good work. Also I thought I responded earlier, but I meant that you'll have 255 options when you dedicate a specific byte to the current ring, where as if you just looked at the top of the inventory you'd limit the amount of possible rings to however many ring items you created. Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore.

How man rings do you have/plan on making?

BTW maybe Rowdy can share his game save with you to help you debug?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Nice! Good work. Also I thought I responded earlier, but I meant that you'll have 255 options when you dedicate a specific byte to the current ring, where as if you just looked at the top of the inventory you'd limit the amount of possible rings to however many ring items you created. Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore.

How man rings do you have/plan on making?

BTW maybe Rowdy can share his game save with you to help you debug?

Ah, I see what you mean now. I've made 12 Rings so far, and I think that's all I'll make. I don't want to make too many new key items that you can't throw away...

The .sav file won't be compatible, since a LOT of data has moved in the ROM since June.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Ah, I see what you mean now. I've made 12 Rings so far, and I think that's all I'll make. I don't want to make too many new key items that you can't throw away...

The .sav file won't be compatible, since a LOT of data has moved in the ROM since June.

Good points. What if you just use the same patch that Rowdy used?

Jukai

JET DINO, YEAH
    Years
  • Okay, feedback as promised:

This goes on my list of favorites. It has a good story, it has amazing music, and great new features, while still feeling like an official Pokemon game. I can't say that for many other hacks, so props to you.

I'm only at the second badge though, so I'm not finished. :P

Oh, about the Weepinbell, I haven't caught a Bellsprout yet so I can't confirm.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Good points. What if you just use the same patch that Rowdy used?
    I had this same thought during the day... Duh. Especially when the entire project is tracked with git. It's trivial to back up to that point in time.

Okay, feedback as promised:

This goes on my list of favorites. It has a good story, it has amazing music, and great new features, while still feeling like an official Pokemon game. I can't say that for many other hacks, so props to you.

I'm only at the second badge though, so I'm not finished. :P

Oh, about the Weepinbell, I haven't caught a Bellsprout yet so I can't confirm.
    Glad you're enjoying it! The second gym is where it starts getting good. How's the difficulty curve so far?

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jan 20, 2021
    In case you're having issues with replicating the Weepinbell bug...
    It seems that whenever the Weepinbell is just trained and levels up is when the bug happens. It ends up "Evolving" into a glitch. But the bug doesn't appear when a rare candy is used on it. It seems that no matter what I have in my bag the bug happens, though this could deal with the shield ring being in the first slot of the bag, maybe? I'm not fully sure since I haven't exactly seen what happens if, say, I have the hustle ring in the front instead.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    It seems that whenever the Weepinbell is just trained and levels up is when the bug happens. It ends up "Evolving" into a glitch. But the bug doesn't appear when a rare candy is used on it. It seems that no matter what I have in my bag the bug happens, though this could deal with the shield ring being in the first slot of the bag, maybe? I'm not fully sure since I haven't exactly seen what happens if, say, I have the hustle ring in the front instead.
    Check your pm inbox. Could you send me your .sav file, please?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I'd say its fair. That may just be me, my Staryu is at Level 22.
    Cool, good to know.

I fixed this bug! It was an ever so slight error in the evolution code. Basically, when pokemon that evolve by Stone leveled up in battle, the evolution routine would read the Pokémon's evolution definitions incorrectly. It would start interpreting the Pokémon's level-up moves as evolution data. It just so happened that Weepinbell's level-up moves were able to be interpreted by the game as "Weepinbell evolves into an undefined pokemon at level X). All fixed now. Thanks for the .sav file!

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2023
    I'm following this hack since the first beta release, but i have not tryed it yet. This still last until the 4th badge right?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I'm following this hack since the first beta release, but i have not tryed it yet. This still last until the 4th badge right?
    Yes, Beta 2.2 ends after the 4th badge.

I've completed gameplay through the 6th badge in development.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2023
    How come i still have to put rings on the top spot to use them? Didnt you say you changed this method?

PS: Shiny Rings doesnt work to me... i encountered something like 400 pokemon in an area just to find a shiny and i found none. I got Shiny RIng in first place of inventory

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    How come i still have to put rings on the top spot to use them? Didnt you say you changed this method?

PS: Shiny Rings doesnt work to me... i encountered something like 400 pokemon in an area just to find a shiny and i found none. I got Shiny RIng in first place of inventory
    All of the changes I make posts about are for the upcoming final release of the game. Beta 2.2 is what you're playing, and that was released back in August.

This Shiny Ring works. I've throughly tested it, and I've watched people in Let's Plays encounter shinies with it. You're probably playing with super speed turned on, so you might have missed one. Or, you're just really unlucky. There's about a 1/500 chance that you don't run into any shinies after 400 encounters. Shinies in this game flash the screen black once when they appear, and they have different colors than their normal shiny sprites from future games.

EDIT: Are you playing with super gameboy mode on? If you aren't playing the game in full-color, you won't be able to see the color differences!

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2023
    Ehm no im playing in BW! D: what is super gameboy mode? I use gameboid as emulator

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Ehm no im playing in BW! D: what is super gameboy mode? I use gameboid as emulator
    Haha well that explains it! Most emulators have an option for super gameboy mode. If you play pokemon on the original gameboy, it's gray colors. If you play on a super gameboy, it uses lots of colors. Just look in gameboid's options/preferences to see if you can find that setting. It might not have it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I've decided that I'm going to release a Beta 3.0 sometime in the next couple weeks. Originally, I was planning on not releasing anything else until the full version, but releasing stuff is fun. Here's some cool new stuff:

First, I've finished an Event Pokémon Giveaway feature. When Beta 3.0 is released, you'll be able to go to a website where you'll receive a special code that tell an NPC. That NPC will give you whatever the current event giveaway pokemon is if you enter the correct code! Here's a sneak peak at what the first event Pokémon will be:

As you can see, this Squirtle Squad is wearing sunglasses. That's because I've added alternate sprites for some Pokémon in the game. The backsprites in battle also have sunglasses. :) I'll be updating the event pokemon every few weeks.

I've also added a new area called the Bike Park. You can't receive a Bike as an item (you already have running shoes), so you get to fulfill your Bike craving by taking the Bike Park Challenge. You'll have to navigate a challenging course spanning several maps while trying not to run out of air in your tires. Here's what it looks like:

(Those black donuts are supposed to be tires.)

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
    Years
  • *mind blown*

Okay, Maize is officially my most anticipated hack of 2015!

I'm scared to even know how you managed to add alternate sprites..

Back