• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Odyssey

What do you think to thi sgame?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash987

Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Really great prologue, I like it. Good idea for the online. You are doing good things with it. Also, in the last sentence; in the bottom of the second paragraph you typed, " Each one an minion of the Ani Colony..." (Just to let you know.)

Radnen

Pokemon Odyssey Network Monkey
    Years
  • As for the wi-fi. I think this is the killer feature this game should excel in. Really try and expand what you can do. Be as creative as you can be with the idea of online play. Maybe have something like, you can explore one part of the region (for example, you can choose to walk around in 1 town only, with up to 10 friends). If you can surpass what the official games are doing with online play (make the gameplay even more social)- I won't care what other features or storylines you have in the game lol. I'll play Odyssey no matter what for the multiplayer alone!

As the network monkey for pokemon odyssey. I can say that this is highly possible. We are going to cap the amount of people at 10, for now. It may not be a great number like 20, but having a lot of other players on a single map taking in data can become quite slow. JS isn't the fastest programming language, so there are some speed limitations.

Our first tests proved to be successes. So it's currently looking really good right now, and a chance to see multiplayer anything is at around 100000% possibility. Expect to see networked play in the next demo - maybe. Waudby may or may not start off with this.

Networked battles are going to be far harder to code seeing as there would need to be extensive modifications made to the battle system to send fight data. But once thats sorted out we can see some basic networked game demo.

We can:

• Connect with another, move around on screen.

• Send messages.

• Trade pokemon.

• Trade Items.
    (the bottom 2 items are still being worked on, but they are close to being finalized).

We may even have networked mini games. Such as racing a ponyta, or pong (with a pokeball) or something.

And of course there will be special networked events - chances to obtain rare pokemon, which then can later be traded to friends.

Oh, and HI! I'm new to PC. :)

Waudby

I did do that, but this is the problem that came up: (look at screenshots) I don't know if this has ever come up, but I think this error may be a posing problem.

I have not seen this error before, but it's possibly because you didn't get the whole file and are missing the video drivers for sphere.

Support for this demo has been dropped, so now I'm afraid you'll have to wait til next time like everyone else.

Wow! thats such a cool update :P
    I can't wait to see more ^^

Sincerely,~
    Red Gyrados

Thanks a lot, the next big update will now be after christmas, hopefully between now and then there will be lots of work completed on the game.

CP3

2Pac is still alive!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Damn Waudby. You completely blew me away with this update.

Waudby

odyssey.png

Networking!Wednesday, 17/12/08

I just thought I'd let you know how well it's coming along now.

Here's some screenshots for your enjoyment, notice my new trees :D

screenshot%202008.12.17%2014.56.50.0937.png
    screenshot%202008.12.17%2014.50.55.0343.png

Just chilling out with Neo-Dragon, telling him about new things for the game. He seems to like it :D

The networking at the moment is what I like to call it... PokéIRC with a few features.

However as Neo-Dragon has seen, it does have the potential to do trading as well as allow for interaction between other Players and NPCs.

Looking for Help:

We will be in need of some testers to help us out, as there is a big time difference between Radnen and myself.

If you can PM me if you're are interested, I am in need of 10 testers pm with your name, email address and time zone please.

Until next time :D
    ~Waudby

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Wow, nice update. Out of curiosity, why do the screens have a list of Pokémon in the top-left corner?

I may be interested in helping out, since I'm going to have a lot of free time; what time zone are you looking for?

Waudby

Wow, nice update. Out of curiosity, why do the screens have a list of Pokémon in the top-left corner?

I may be interested in helping out, since I'm going to have a lot of free time; what time zone are you looking for?

The text in the corners are just debug messages, the list of Pokemon is the players current pokemon party, which we put for testign the trading, I was given a Dunsparce to start with and Neo-Dragon got Cherrim, obviously at the moment the pokemon that have been traded aren't removed from your party because it's not done via the menus yet. But that will change soon.

And obviously the text on the right is the other players name.

We are also looking for anyone within GMT or the PST timezones who we can call upon when needed to test the new stuff over the internet to check for any problems, obviously having 8 hours between myself and Radnen can cause difficulties with finding time to test together.

Waudby

so... when do I like, get some sort of email or something?

Well it will be as we need you. Currently I haven't spoken to Radnen about the people who will help him.

So until I do, I cannot say anything. I've had Neo-Dragon help me a bit with online testing as he is in a GMT zone like I am.

It's not the actual Pokémon Odyssey game that you get to test just what I'm calling PokeIRC or PokemonChat as the file is called.
    This once finalized will be incorporated into the Odyssey project files.

So don't get hopes of early demo testing, it really is just an online chat room test.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • I want to say this.

I was blown away when I was testing the online play.
    Waudby is still getting a feel for himself of how this will work- which is why it is vital for him to test with something other then a 1 and 1 basis.
    In the 30 minutes or so I spent with him helping it he discovered how he can add NPC text one one players screen and not have it effect the other player. I was throwing some ideas and him and his was bouncing back some of his own ideas at me. It got me really hyped to see what's going to happen when the game is released.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
    Years
  • VERY nice update, Waudby! I like the idea of an "online" looking aspect to the game.
    Awesome job. The trees, and other graphics looks quite a lot better now, too. ^_^

Radnen

Pokemon Odyssey Network Monkey
    Years
  • James, I love you in the same way a Gorilla can love a Kitten :D

OMG beastiality! :P

As far as networking goes, Waudby is planning on some pretty neat stuff. Don't expect to be online in a cramped room. I think he may want users to play sorta like an MMO. When you host a game, and people join, you might travel around the region together. As a party of 4 or more people. Or you all can go your own separate ways.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Wow Guys this is looking amazing... I wish I could do some of the online testing... but I'm located in the EST time zone *cries*

Anyways I really hope you guys do amazingly well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back