• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Odyssey

What do you think to thi sgame?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Thanks for the comment, yeah I'm now working on the shadows, it's not easy to edit that many files with shadows when you're using all 493 pokémon XD

Couldn't you have a separate image for the shadow, then make the Pokémon sprite appear on top of it? That would save having to edit all the sprites, and it would also let you make the shadow disappear when the Pokémon faints, like in D/P.

Waudby

Couldn't you have a separate image for the shadow, then make the Pokémon sprite appear on top of it? That would save having to edit all the sprites, and it would also let you make the shadow disappear when the Pokémon faints, like in D/P.

Yeah that's what I''m planning on doing now, I'm going to get the different sized shadows and put them on depending on the size and weight of the pokémon etc.

Waudby

Thanks, but i mean the things like the ones i can only find on his DivaintART page, like the snow, and walls and such, but thank you regardless.

Those are for his game.

I base a lot of my own graphics on the kyledove style to fit in with the game, the wall in Cresent City was inspired by the wall on Kyle's big city, however there are differences, for instance the height.

All I can suggest is you study his tile design and try and recreate it as close as you can like many people do to get his style.

Waudby

Okay then, but do you think i can use your graphics then? Credits will be given where due,but you don't have to let me use them if you wanted to keep them exlusive to your game.

Well I want to keep them exclusive to the game, so sorry but no.

Radnen

Pokemon Odyssey Network Monkey
    Years
  • @Waudby, what you could have sphere do even is write a script that generates a shadow based on the sprites current frame image. I don't know how much of an impact this has on the sphere engine, but you can collect the frame on load, then transform-blit that at an angle facing away from the player and in the opposite direction of a lightsource.

Then you can mimic that overused Ruby code that gives (even multiple) shadows to characters in RMXP games.

Waudby

@Waudby Do you mean 490 Pokemon right? because i was looking at my Pokedex book for Diamond and Pearl, it says 482+8 on the cover.

Nope it is actually 493.

I don't know why your pokedex book states wrong :/

@Radnen: Well I was thinking about doing a system a bit like this with the flashlight system for within caves.

So that the player gets the flashlight shape the direction he/she is facing.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Official guides don't like to give away details of secret Pokémon, such as Darkrai (number 491)... I bet your book doesn't include it, or D/P's other two hidden legendaries.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2014
    I saw some sparkling comments in the Game of the Year topic about this one, so I figured I'd give it a second look (it seemed really feature-heavy the first time I looked)...
    Plot? said:
    It was almost two years after the first assault on the Everglade Yeah, alright... region by the Ani Short for Anakin? R U A STAR WARZ FAN TO!!!111 Colony, and people had begun to lose hope. The residents of Cresent City had been hit the hardest By what force? What does this Ani Colony do?. Many of them were locked away for going against the Ani Colony's rules A coup?, and many other people had tried to escape to other regions - normally unsuccessfully.

There were a group of Pokémon Trainers which had joined together to try and otherthrow the Ani Colony A resistance force...a'right.. They were lead by a man named Sullivan, a dragon type trainer. Sullivan had defeated too many trainers to remember. Each one an minion of the Ani Colony and that was the problem, they were only minions.

However, a day came were Could you take the minutes to fix the spelling errors? For as presentable as the rest here is, I'm a little appalled by the editing that you kinda let fall by the wayside... Sullivan and his trainers decided to storm the Ani Colony's trading camp What's a trading camp? Do they trade their pkmn often to maximise experience gained? in the north-eastern town called Precip Town 'storm'...'Precip'...haha., named after the amount of rain and snow the town got each year. This was Sullivan's home town which he left during the first attack. So to regain this town would have a sentimental value to him. ...a failure?

The planned went down perfectly and the group defeated the trainers that were defending it and took back control of Precip Town Oh, okay.... Sullivan knew this wouldn't be the end of it and that they couldn't enjoy their victory for long, so after quickly resting their Pokémon, the group continued onto the next town in their scope - Cresent City. And what is the Ani Colony doing at the same time? Unless your threat is not what you paint it out to be, I bet they are doing a little more than licking their wounds, like, say, a conterattack or something.

If Sullivan could take control of Cresent City, he had almost won the fight. they travelled towards the city and were confronted by the welcoming squad along the way, Sullivan's Dragonite easily taking care of any Pokémon in it's way. Arriving at the city's gates they were greeted by a new opponent, a leading general of the Ani Colony - Vince.

Vince was a Fire type trainer. His main Pokémon being a Charizard which was raised from a young Charmander. A heated battle began between Vince and Sullivan, whlist Sullivan's men dealt with the Ani Colony's grunts. Flying high into the air Charizard and Dragonite battled it out. Almost evenly matched, it seemed like the battle would continue forever. However Sullivan had a trick up his sleeve, a custom move he had taught to Dragonite - Overkill. Overkill, is a one hit K.O move, it doesn't have a type You're kidding -_-...??? is for Curse only. but is super effective against everything That undermines the entire purpose of having elemental affinities in pkmn. There cannot be a type that is SE against all because they are all radically different.. It plumits the opponent deep within the planets mantle Inhumane, as well..? If it weren't a Charizard, such would be fatal. Hmph.... Sullivan's Dragonite is the only Pokémon to have ever used it as Sullivan was the creator of it. I don't buy that...if he invented it, then surely someone else would, as well. Think of the Brick Break guy in Sootopolis--every pkmn to know Brick Break did not get it from him...

Dragonite used Overkill, and Vince was defeated, Sullivan had reclaimed Cresent City for the residents and went down in history as "The Cresent Hero".

After Vince's defeated, the citizens of the Everglade region had be reinspired to fight against the Ani Colony, and within a few weeks they had driven the Ani Colony out of Everglade.

There still exists some remnants of Sullivan's Odyssey. And there is said to be a long buried treasure of his existing somewhere in the Everglade region.....
    That's it? It was not having any serious holes except for Overkill, but it was not the most glittery one, either. What of the actual game? I could care less if you can write a backstory--what about the story to which it leads? How much do you actually have written? Can you share any of that (or is it all 'confidential' <<)? What's this treasure? Is that the only bit of the backstory that even really matters nowadays? What even is the Ani Colony? Foreing conquerors? Torturists? mercenaries underneath some leader you never mentioned? Do you have an ending to said story I asked about? This is important 'cause, after all, it -looks- great, but just because there's a doughnut does not guarantee that it comes with jelly in the middle.

Waudby

I saw some sparkling comments in the Game of the Year topic about this one, so I figured I'd give it a second look (it seemed really feature-heavy the first time I looked)...

That's it? It was not having any serious holes except for Overkill, but it was not the most glittery one, either. What of the actual game? I could care less if you can write a backstory--what about the story to which it leads? How much do you actually have written? Can you share any of that (or is it all 'confidential' <<)? What's this treasure? Is that the only bit of the backstory that even really matters nowadays? What even is the Ani Colony? Foreing conquerors? Torturists? mercenaries underneath some leader you never mentioned? Do you have an ending to said story I asked about? This is important 'cause, after all, it -looks- great, but just because there's a doughnut does not guarantee that it comes with jelly in the middle.

The storyline is there, not all of it, but the main ideas and everything are there, just a bit of fleshing out to be done.

The reason I haven't said much about the story is for one, people will steal ideas, and for two, because I want to keep it a surprise and thirdly, because the game, will story-driven, can be played how you want, apart from the intro section of the game where you get your first pokémon, the rest of the game can be done at the player's pace, you could travel to every town before going to do the first major part of the story, obviously, there will be some roadblocks like the HM limits etc, but it wont be as linear as the official branch of games.

Another reason as to why most of the thread has just been feature ridden is because unlike most games here in the showcase, I have to script everything from scratch, no starter kit for me.

This puts development time of the storylined events way behind.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back