• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Odyssey

What do you think to thi sgame?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radnen

Pokemon Odyssey Network Monkey
Years
  • Agent Zero: You have really no idea what you are talking about. You can't judge a games story until you play it. The apparent story written here is usually and in most cases not what is expected when you play, it doesn't need to be written well (spelling, grammar, cut that BS), and it certainly doesn't need to reflect accurately what will happen.

When NPC's are given scripts and interactions are created does the storyline finally become to develop and mature, you of all people should know that.

Waudby

I agree with Radnen, to play a game with only a storyline would be boring, it's the quirky interactions throughout which make the game enjoyable.

However let's get away from the hostility.

As a small update on what I am currently doing;

• Fixing up the battle system still, it's coming along quite nicely for the single battles however there's a few hiccups on the double battle side of things.
    • Mapping out some more of the region as well as the virtual region.
    • Fixing some small bugs I have come across.

So as you can see, i'm still staying active.

I will maybe update with a few more storyline shots in the next few days depending on how scripting goes within the battle system.

CP3

2Pac is still alive!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Congraulation Waudby, Pokemon Odyssey is now the Game of the year, great job!!!!!!

Radnen

Years
  • As a word of advice Waudby, you still need to have a more solid storyline.

How about you recruit some storyline scriptwriters or idealists who can help fill in some apparent gaps that Agent Zero did underscore.

Waudby

I can help you James as far as storyline help :P

I have had a few similar jobs in the past :B

I PM'ed you about this :)

In other news, I've managed to fix a problem with the battle system to do with the fainting system that now works how it needs to :D

the next thing I need to fix is the way it checks for fainting as at the moment, if you defeat a pokemon on the last turn of the round, then it's not until after you select another menu option that the pokemon faints.

Waudby

It is nearly ready, well, a basic system is, with the fight options etc.

Not all the moves effects are scripted in either. However, I am considering releasing a small test demo with the online features once they are ready as well.

I'm currently working on some new maps.

Waudby

Okay, I've decided to ask the supporters for a good amount of input here...

Would player's be disappointed not to see 2v2 battles in the game?

I have programmed most of the 2v2 into the game however, the last bit is quite difficult with the way i've done things, it also makes the network stuff alot harder to handle.

So would people prefer networked battles or single 2v2 battles?

I'm not saying they are mutually exclusive, but for now I want to keep things simpler, and take Pokémon back too it's roots without the 2v2 stuff, it would also improve development time obviously.

I may add 2v2 eventually, but I just wondered people's opinions. If supporters agree that 2v2 aren't important, i'll remove it and design a new battle mechanic that can add to the fun of battles, something to keep it a bit fresh.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Meh what use are they besides more fun? I consider single battles more of a challenge as with double battles in wild areas that are farther into the game would make it really irritating cause just to catch one pokemon you would need to fac2 not 1 level 50 pokemon. Andover network meh im not that hyped so what battling with your friend or random is so cool. Not. I mean you could have a whole battle strategy that could be flawless and get ruined cause of said person. So yeah i say nay leave it to later if its a difficult task and move on to making the more interesting stuff.

Waudby

Meh what use are they besides more fun? I consider single battles more of a challenge as with double battles in wild areas that are farther into the game would make it really irritating cause just to catch one pokemon you would need to fac2 not 1 level 50 pokemon. Andover network meh im not that hyped so what battling with your friend or random is so cool. Not. I mean you could have a whole battle strategy that could be flawless and get ruined cause of said person. So yeah i say nay leave it to later if its a difficult task and move on to making the more interesting stuff.

Well the 2v2 battles don't play any sort of part within the game. I have got an idea to implement them though after the first game is made.

They could be a useful addition to the First DLC which is in a different region with different rules for battling :P

Oh and the online 2v2 wouldn't be you and a friend, it would've been you vs your friend.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Aha ok yeah then add it. I dont mind much for online stuff unless its a browser game. So go for it i think its up to you. Either try to overcome a slump and take up time or progress in game making and leave it for later. That extra time you saved could help the game go faster in progress.

Waudby

Video of the Battle System~Monday, 5/1/09

Hey everyone, just thought I'd update with a short video of a wild Pokémon battle from the start of the game :P

It's not much but it's something nice to look at. Excuse the flickers every so often it's my computer not liking the video software XD
    Hopefully it'll fit your needs, if not, make suggestions for improvements :D

Until next time :D
    ~Waudby

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • Very sleek looking system you've got there, Waudby. Just a suggestion, you might want to remove the "What move will Cyndaquil use" message, as it slows down battling somewhat and would eventually get rather annoying.

Apart from that, the ball animation is choppy and the player's base is cut off on the left at the very start of the battle, but I'm sure you know all these things ^^. Keep up the good work.

CP3

2Pac is still alive!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Wow it looks really nice, but I agree with Mrchewy, you might want to remove the message its probably going to be annoying after sometime.Also, are you planning to add the attack animations?

Zamith

The well-known trainer (not)
    Years
  • Yeah, nothing much to add, since i agree with the last two posts, be careful not to slow down battling. I mean, sometimes things look pretty when created and tested... but battling in pokemon is something that happens -- during some parts of the game -- like.. for 30 to 30 seconds... so delayed systems tend to be rather annoying. I myself sometimes get angry even with the battles on official pokemon games, haha... but that's just me.

Radnen

Years
  • I mean you could have a whole battle strategy that could be flawless and get ruined cause of said person.

But, isn't that the point of online battles? :p

And the game would run terribly slow in an internet browser. It isn't impossible to create a firefox plugin for this Sphere game, but with a bad internet connection and/or a slow computer, the networking would simply fall apart. (It's on your computer for a speed boost).

It is true that the game is written in JavaScript, but the Sphere API can't just be imported 1:1 to the internet without creating a lot of wrap-around's.

Waudby, I would encourage 1v1 battles, and introduce location effects. A rainy day will invoke rainy day, same for sunny day, etc... Like how it is in some locations in the pokemon games.

POKEARC3NCIEL

Im bored lol.
    Years
  • Looks great, although the ball animation looks pretty weird in some sort, and the health meter.... same thing.

^^ I love the project! How many people are working on the game? :rambo:

Well good luck with the project! :classic:

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • Waudby. Just a suggestion, you might want to remove the "What move will Cyndaquil use" message, as it slows down battling somewhat and would eventually get rather annoying..

I second that.
    This video looks excellent though.
    I think it would be a cool idea to release a battle demo- with maybe 20 random pokemon, just to let people test out network play for the battles.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back