• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Saga - Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Well, I have some news.

Yesterday I tried updating this thread, but the forum was acting glitchy. Originally I was going to say that the hiatus is over, which it is, but now I have something different to say:

Yesterday, I was playing my current progress of Pokemon ShadowAmethyst on my DS with the help of my AceKard. I backed up my retail Emerald version save-file with a certain DS application, just so I can see how the Battle Frontier would play like with ShadowAmethyst music. I noticed that A LOT of voicegroups have been corrupted, which is something that appears to be quite common with Emerald hacks. Also I noticed that Heracross, Seedot, Nuzleaf, Shiftry, Clamperl, and Salamence all have corrupted cries. So I'm afraid I'm gonna have to restart this hack, to avoid sound corruption.

I can't decide whether to do it on Ruby or Emerald, originally I wanted to do this on Emerald because of all the extra features, but I wasn't fully aware of how "unstable" Emerald can be (yes I know it's not really unstable, but it's the best way I can describe it). If I hack it on Ruby, everything will be MUCH easier, but then we won't be seeing a Battle Frontier or sprite animations. If I do it on Ruby, then I probably won't be having any sound corruption, but then I won't get to have the Battle Frontier. If I do it on Emerald, then I can do all the extra features, but probably will never finish it glitchless.

Remember, THIS PROJECT IS NOT CANCELED! I'm simply restarting it.

But anyways, here's an incomplete beta. It goes up to Viridian Forest. This is the last beta that you will see of this incarnation:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2010
    That's not good to know. :' (

But I'll try that incomplete beta and post here later then.

Anyway, Good luck I hope you'll do just fine. In my opinion, I think Ruby is better than Emerald to hack around~ : 3

Years
  • I think you should stick to Emerald since I don't see a lot of Emerald Rom Hacks. Also, Pokemon Emerald has animations and two trainers that battle you at the same time, and more trainer battles than Ruby, and Emerald is my 3rd/4th favorite Pokemon game.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Well, I have some news.

Yesterday I tried updating this thread, but the forum was acting glitchy. Originally I was going to say that the hiatus is over, which it is, but now I have something different to say:

Yesterday, I was playing my current progress of Pokemon ShadowAmethyst on my DS with the help of my AceKard. I backed up my retail Emerald version save-file with a certain DS application, just so I can see how the Battle Frontier would play like with ShadowAmethyst music. I noticed that A LOT of voicegroups have been corrupted, which is something that appears to be quite common with Emerald hacks. Also I noticed that Heracross, Seedot, Nuzleaf, Shiftry, Clamperl, and Salamence all have corrupted cries. So I'm afraid I'm gonna have to restart this hack, to avoid sound corruption.

I can't decide whether to do it on Ruby or Emerald, originally I wanted to do this on Emerald because of all the extra features, but I wasn't fully aware of how "unstable" Emerald can be (yes I know it's not really unstable, but it's the best way I can describe it). If I hack it on Ruby, everything will be MUCH easier, but then we won't be seeing a Battle Frontier or sprite animations. If I do it on Ruby, then I probably won't be having any sound corruption, but then I won't get to have the Battle Frontier. If I do it on Emerald, then I can do all the extra features, but probably will never finish it glitchless.

Aaaaaaaaaaaa you need to show me how you play your GBA roms on your AceKard ;;

Honestly, I think that music is really really important to have done well, because it really helps move the emotions of the player, which is generally the goal of a game. I'd rather have a 'sound' (lolpun) game as opposed to one with various unfixable errors and such. So, my vote goes to Ruby. :>

Good luck with the restart!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2011
    Does Ruby have the Match Call system? I haven't played Ruby in 5 years so I can't remember.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    I think you should stick to Emerald since I don't see a lot of Emerald Rom Hacks. Also, Pokemon Emerald has animations and two trainers that battle you at the same time, and more trainer battles than Ruby, and Emerald is my 3rd/4th favorite Pokemon game.
    Pokemon Emerald is also really annoying to hack, and hacking Emerald is guaranteed to suffer sound corruption. IMO, sound is one of the biggest factors of gameplay experience, and I don't want to ruin my gameplay experience.

Aaaaaaaaaaaa you need to show me how you play your GBA roms on your AceKard ;;
    AceKard + EZFlash3in1

I've already made the decision to do it on Ruby. Has anyone tried the incomplete beta yet? No one has commented on it, and I'm interested to hear ideas/suggestions for the restart.

BusterTheFox

Pokemon Intruder
    Years
  • Yeah, I just played the Beta. :3 I loved the height changes you implemented in Veridian Forest. I also like the lass you placed just before the entrance; she seems like she belongs there. A few things I found funny: After the beta, I was able to exit into the Emerald world! XD A lot of the tiles were really messed up. There was even wild grass by the berries! It was fun to battle Poochyena to the FR/LF music. By the way, did you change the key of the wild/trainer battles? They sounded different than I remember. Also, it sound cool and new, but only because my computer speakers are missing one side and I had set in to Stereo in the options. ;) lol. Anyway...

I liked the new title screen logo as well. I had seen it in screenshots, but it's a different experience when you're seeing it for yourself in a full-screen emulator.

The best thing about this demo is that you can continue through Hoenn with your little Kanto pokemon. XD The Gym Leader song was REEAALLLYY slow! It was really weird.

Just a little note about the "psudo-rival" while I'm at it. Firstly...when it's the guy who is your rival he's comes in and says "Oh, crap!"...which is not something Nintendo would have put in a pokemon game. Just sayin', cause you did say this was a HG/SS prequel. =p I would personally try to make it seem as official as possible. ^_^ Also, when he left, he just...left. No explaination, to introduction, nothing. I talk to Oak, he tries to rate my pokedex, which was 0/0. XD National was 4/1 though, lol. And, lastly...when he went to get the pokeball(Last one to the very right) he went through the table on his way back up. It's a really cool idea, I hope you keep the second rival.

Oh, uh, one last note, for reals this time! First of All, it's too bad Emerald can't hold it's musical liquor...so to speak. Basically, you'll be losing the Battle Frontier, Match Call(Which you were probably gonna remove anyway, right?), and animations. Maybe some trainer slots, too, but I have never hacked an advance game. I suppose you already knew all that though. Well, good luck with this! It would be cool if you could implement some story around the legendaries like Moltres Articuno and Zapdos........Just another idea. XD LOL

P.S.: Okay, going into Hoenn afterwards wasn't the best part of the DEMO. XD I'm not sure you wanted that to happen anyway. As far as the demo goes, I think the forest has the nicest, most rich enviornment[By the way, the tree's look great to me, I don't see why everyone is whining about them. ;)]. I definately(spelling?) saw the ways you changed the maps to look more like they do in later games. Hey, I'll be a private beta tester for ya if you want. XD LOL. I'de say "Jk", but I would do that if you're willing. XD XD XD XD XD I put XD too much. o.o; ANYway, great beta great hack idea, wish ya luck, all that good stuff. Hey, I want a banner so I can support you. ^_^

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Yeah, I just played the Beta. :3 I loved the height changes you implemented in Veridian Forest.
    Well, Viridian Forest wasn't my original idea. Those height changes are present in HG/SS.

I also like the lass you placed just before the entrance; she seems like she belongs there.
    lol, she's actually from Pokemon Yellow. Even though I hate the anime and all related stuff (that means Pokemon Yellow version), a similar trainer with 2 Nidoran appeared in Viridian Forest. I decided to put her in Route 2 instead.

By the way, did you change the key of the wild/trainer battles? They sounded different than I remember. Also, it sound cool and new, but only because my computer speakers are missing one side and I had set in to Stereo in the options. ;) lol. Anyway...
    Yes, I did change the key. The key is changed so that it sounds like the way it does in the Gen I games. For instance, in Gen I, the trainer battle music started in the key of B. In FR/LG, it was changed to the key of E, which sounded weird IMO. In G/S/C it was in the key of B, and that was the same in HG/SS. It's kinda an annoying process, you have to extract the midi from the rom and then edit it, and then re-loop it, and then re-insert it.

The best thing about this demo is that you can continue through Hoenn with your little Kanto pokemon. XD The Gym Leader song was REEAALLLYY slow! It was really weird.
    Ehehe... Hoenn isn't supposed to be in this game. It wasn't supposed to be part of the demo, hence why it called "Incomplete Beta".

Just a little note about the "psudo-rival" while I'm at it. Firstly...when it's the guy who is your rival he's comes in and says "Oh, crap!"...which is not something Nintendo would have put in a pokemon game. Just sayin', cause you did say this was a HG/SS prequel. =p I would personally try to make it seem as official as possible. ^_^
    Even though it's an HG/SS prequel, I'm eventually gonna do a minor HeartGold hack. Personally I don't see anything wrong with saying crap, even if none of the Pokemon games are that bad. lol you played as the girl XD. Well, Red (or Kene, as I'm planning on renaming him) has to have some kind of personality. In G/S/C/HG/SS all he says is, "......"

Remember guys, I'm making this hack for myself, not you guys. I'm only posting it here because some people are willing to help me, such as with tiles and such. That's probably why sometimes if you guys make a suggestion, I may blatantly ignore it, because that's just how I am. I'm not going to bother changing something that I'm fine with.

But that doesn't mean I'm not open for suggestions for the future:
    It would be cool if you could implement some story around the legendaries like Moltres Articuno and Zapdos........Just another idea. XD LOL
    I actually like that idea.

ANYway, great beta great hack idea, wish ya luck, all that good stuff. Hey, I want a banner so I can support you. ^_^
    I'm not really sure if I need a beta tester. Maybe, we'll see.

Here's what I've done on Ruby so far:
    Pokémon Saga - Adventure

EDIT: Oh, and about your pseudo-rival walking through the table, that's probably because I remember changing some the graphics to fit different collision properties after I already made the pseudo-rival script.

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years
  • I think you should keep a few Hoenn Pokemon in the game, at least one or two for a few areas, with their encounter rate being somewhere in the 10% range. Think about it; logically, and as science has shown, animals have been shown to migrate from area to area. Pokemon are basically suped-up animals that can breathe fire, so wouldn't the same logic apply? I'm not saying to add anything like Legendaries from Hoenn, or the Starter Pokemon in the wild, but maybe Pokemon like Ralts, Zigzagoon, Taillow, ect, ect.

P.S: I noticed you didn't have a User/Support-bar, so I took the liberty of making you one. I hope you like it.

Pokémon Saga - Adventure

Last edited:

BusterTheFox

Pokemon Intruder
    Years
  • Hey, glad I could help. ^_^ Also, glad you liked my idea! (: Lol, yeah, I usually play as the girl because the girl is usually the one who appears in the show, which we know you hate. XD I guess it helps me associate a personality with my non-speaking character. =p I never liked that no-personality-in-your-character part of pokemon games. :3

I see what you mean about Veridian. I haven't gotten to Kanto yet in SS, so...yeah. XD I can see how they "Gave it life" as you've said. Anyway...yeah. I could test the game out on my SuperCard Lite once I get a new DS too, btw. Anyway, enough of that, you'll need a beta tester when you'll need one. XD

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    I think you should keep a few Hoenn Pokemon in the game, at least one or two for a few areas, with their encounter rate being somewhere in the 10% range. Think about it; logically, and as science has shown, animals have been shown to migrate from area to area. Pokemon are basically suped-up animals that can breathe fire, so wouldn't the same logic apply? I'm not saying to add anything like Legendaries from Hoenn, or the Starter Pokemon in the wild, but maybe Pokemon like Ralts, Zigzagoon, Taillow, ect, ect.

P.S: I noticed you didn't have a User/Support-bar, so I took the liberty of making you one. I hope you like it.

Pokémon Saga - Adventure

I think you should put hoenn pokémon in too

When i was exploring Kanto on HGSS i saw a few hoenn pkmn ^.^

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2010
    i played through what the game is so far, and i really liked it. Some things that could be improved though is that the first rival, if you lose, you should not have to battle again. Also, charmanders move set should be changed so that it learns metal claw at level 13 just like the original, or else brock will be quite the challenge, especially if your other pokemon is a pidgey..... other than that though, great game :D

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    I think you should keep a few Hoenn Pokemon in the game, at least one or two for a few areas, with their encounter rate being somewhere in the 10% range. Think about it; logically, and as science has shown, animals have been shown to migrate from area to area. Pokemon are basically suped-up animals that can breathe fire, so wouldn't the same logic apply? I'm not saying to add anything like Legendaries from Hoenn, or the Starter Pokemon in the wild, but maybe Pokemon like Ralts, Zigzagoon, Taillow, ect, ect.

Pokémon Saga - Adventure

That support bar actually looks really good. Before making it official, I suggest adding in the FR/LG rival, and then change the sprites of the Kanto starters into the FR/LG ones. Also the hack is no longer going to be called Pokemon ShadowAmethyst, I'll tell you the re-named title through PM. But since I'm not gonna post the new-revised hack for a while, we can stick with ShadowAmethyst for now.

And I'm sorry, but there will be no Hoenn Pokemon before the Elite Four. Even though they're in HG/SS, they're not in the actual location data. They only appear when you've done a specific task (such as turning on the radio). Besides, it would ruin the whole "Kanto" experience thing. Did Hoenn have signature Kanto Pokemon like Pidgey or Rattata? No. Did Sinnoh have signature Johto Pokemon like Dunsparce or Sentret? No. Did Johto have signature Sinnoh Pokemon like Starly or Bidoof? No.

In my opinion, according to Generation III, Oddish is not a Kanto Pokemon. Oddish is a Hoenn and Kanto Pokemon. Rhyhorn is not a Kanto Pokemon, it's a Hoenn and Kanto Pokemon. Natu is strictly a Hoenn Pokemon in Generation III. You see what I mean? All Pokemon in the Hoenn Dex are Hoenn Pokemon. It may share some with Kanto, such as Oddish, but Oddish is not a Kanto Pokemon. It's a Hoenn/Kanto Pokemon. And since this hack is a Gen III game, as far as I'm concerned, Natu is strictly a Hoenn Pokemon.

If somebody can figure out how to hack the Hoenn Dex WITHOUT touching the National Dex, then there may be one or two Hoenn Pokemon in my revised Kanto Dex. And what I mean by that is, if I include Marill, I have to include Azurill. I'm aware of the fact that the Hoenn Dex has some Kanto Pokemon, but because of that I don't view them as Kanto-exclusive Pokemon.

This looks like a really good hack! Good luck with it!
    Thanks.

i played through what the game is so far, and i really liked it. Some things that could be improved though is that the first rival, if you lose, you should not have to battle again. Also, charmanders move set should be changed so that it learns metal claw at level 13 just like the original, or else brock will be quite the challenge, especially if your other pokemon is a pidgey..... other than that though, great game :D
    Charmander did not learn Metal Claw in R/B/Y. Metal Claw didn't even exist back then. And I know he learns it in FR/LG if that's what you meant, but that makes it too easy. Picking Charmander is supposed to be a challenge, like it was in Gen I.

When i was exploring Kanto on HGSS i saw a few hoenn pkmn ^.^
    Only with your radio on.

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years
  • That support bar actually looks really good. Before making it official, I suggest adding in the FR/LG rival, and then change the sprites of the Kanto starters into the FR/LG ones.

Pokémon Saga - Adventure

Done. I added the HG/SS Sprites before because I honestly thought they looked better than the crappy FR/LG sprites, and I figured that, since you were replacing most of the tiles, you would also be replacing the Pokemon sprites with the HG/SS versions.

Also the hack is no longer going to be called Pokemon ShadowAmethyst, I'll tell you the re-named title through PM. But since I'm not gonna post the new-revised hack for a while, we can stick with ShadowAmethyst for now.

Well, seeing as I made the whole thing with Userbar_Creator, if we have to rename it, expect the bar to look differently.

P.S: I added the Rival Blue artwork like you asked, but I used the HG/SS artwork, and nothing is going to change that. The Firered/Leafgreen artwork I could find for him was just horrible in my eyes, so I'm using the HG/SS artwork.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Pokémon Saga - Adventure

Done. I added the HG/SS Sprites before because I honestly thought they looked better than the crappy FR/LG sprites, and I figured that, since you were replacing most of the tiles, you would also be replacing the Pokemon sprites with the HG/SS versions.
    Well, even though I'm using HG/SS tiles, Platinum doesn't use R/S/E sprites. So therefore, ShadowAmethyst and HG/SS should not share sprites. Besides, I always thought that Gen IV sprites in a Gen III hack looks horrible with large Pokemon.

I'm sorry, but I can't accept the userbar. That represents how the R/B/FR/LG rival looks 3 years after the events of ShadowAmethyst, and obviously ShadowAmethyst uses his FR/LG design, because that's how he looked 3 years prior to the events of HG/SS.

Mind telling me what this userbar_creator thing is? I'll still credit you for the userbar, because quite frankly I don't really care about userbars, and wouldn't have wanted one if you didn't bring it up. But since you brought it up...

EDIT: Also, Bulbapedia has some clear artwork of his Gen III design:
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:FireRed_LeafGreen_Blue.png

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    But still
    Unless your havin the sevii islands on your hack
    There should be other ways of catching hoenn pokemon
    Like Places you can go after getting the nationaldex?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back