• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokémon & Trainer Sprite Changes?

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
  • I honestly don't mind if they use the same sprites because I play Pokemon Blue all the time so I am constantly reminded of impressive the current sprites are for the current Pokemon game considering they have to animate every single Pokemon including alternate forms along with back sprites. Also we now get full back sprites not just what appears to be the back of a Pokemon's head. I mean you have to face it, the DS chip is not the most impressive technology nor does it have an enormous amount of memory so adding more pixels to all the back sprites and extra frames of animation to the all the Pokemon would just not be reasonable to demand.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Well by the looks of the trailer, seems like sprites are still pixelated and basically the same! If Serperior's backsprite really is different, I'm guessing they may have changed up the animation/battle design for Unova Pokémon? Too early to tell I guess, I'd like to see more battle scenes.

Love the addition of trainer animation though. :D

KingDrapion

dual-type Poison/Dark Pokémon.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2014
    So all trainers have gained animations? or just special trainers?

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Serperior is said to have gained a new animation in the video where it's battling both the Kyurem formes.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2014
    Here's to hoping this is true. If Game Freak was smart they'd finally upgrade to 3D.

Anyway we saw in the scans they were using the old sprites. Not to say anything in them is final (Excadrill was a different color in his initial scan appearance) but as everyone else said, too much work for a company as lazy as Game Freak.

The 2D sprites are a characteristic feature of pokemon. Personally i'd hate it if they switched to 3D but it might as well happen one day.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    It's nice to see normal trainer animations, and gives a little more character to the trainer, so I guess that's a nice addition. I'm not too upset about no sprite changes, but who knows - there may be some. Either way I wasn't expecting 3D models or anything.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I'm hoping they jazz up the male Ace Trainer's look, tbh. But the thought of every trainer being animated really excites me. It gives them just that little bit of extra character that I've always been looking for.

Pokemon wise, I think the most they would change is the battle movement animation. Different poses, different movements. Not entirely sure how the backsprites will look, but from the look of things it seems that they kept it somewhat the same.

Years
  • I really want new sprites, if not back sprites, certainly front ones. Especially for some of the older generation Pokemon that are still rocking crappy Platinum sprites. :/

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    So it appears there will be changes in the Pokémon animation! Between the battle of the female protagonist and the rival, I noticed Oshawott would catch its shell.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    So it appears there will be changes in the Pokémon animation! Between the battle of the female protagonist and the rival, I noticed Oshawott would catch its shell.

I'm really hoping that Clefairy isn't such a fatty anymore.
    Omgosh, the thought of Oshawott catching its shell is actually cute. <3
    I wonder if Snivy looks a little more smug, like, as if it would be flipping it's invisible hair using its hands.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I'm really hoping that Clefairy isn't such a fatty anymore.
    Omgosh, the thought of Oshawott catching its shell is actually cute. <3
    I wonder if Snivy looks a little more smug, like, as if it would be flipping it's invisible hair using its hands.
    Snivy was in that battle, but I can't exactly remember what the animation was like... :[ I could totally picture it doing that though.

I imagine Tepig cutely springing up and down for some reason. :3

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022

Snivy was in that battle, but I can't exactly remember what the animation was like... :[ I could totally picture it doing that though.

I imagine Tepig cutely springing up and down for some reason. :3

Oh gosh, Tepig jumping up on its hind legs and plopping right back down would be adorable. <33 Sniff the ground like a piggy for a bit, and then jump up on its legs. EEEE~ <333

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
  • Snivy jumps a bit and raises its head. You could also tell it's different because it opens its mouth as opposed to this where its mouth stays shut.

495.gif

KingDrapion

dual-type Poison/Dark Pokémon.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2014
    I'm hoping they make some of the older Pokemon's animation better, like they could make Politoad and Semistoad jump up and down like actual toads.

In the footages we have seen, the Unova starter pokemon have gained new animations. So yes, it will be most likely that all Unova pokemon will be revamped with new animations.

Back