• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokémon & Trainer Sprite Changes?

KingDrapion

dual-type Poison/Dark Pokémon.
Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2014
    Hopefully they do change them. Black kyurems especially. A bit of recolouring on the brown patch to make it grey would make them look a little better atleast. Oh well, Game freak is said to show off tons of stuff next month so can't wait until then.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • ^ I sure hope they are beta, especially Black Kyurem, it looks quite bland...
    I wish the sprites were less pixelized, but I guess we have to deal with them until they can find how to make them move without making them pixally.

Years
  • Oshawott's new animation is adooorable! Feels more realistic now than it just moving its head back and forth and jumping lol. But eep, the animated rival sprite looks very fluid :'DD Excited to see what they'll do with the leaders and Elite Four.

Years
  • I enjoyed the starters new animation, especially Oshawott's, the new one seems so much like I had imagined when BW were coming out, plus it reminds me of Ash's Osha ^_^.

I can see the poison gym leader jamming to her gitar.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Just saw the animation for the rival's sprite and omg, so adorable. This makes me really excited to see how other trainers are animated. He seemed to smooth and fluid in his movements, I just can't imagine how well they did the other sprites in the game. <3

Years
  • I wish that the pokemon's sprites could be as fluid as the trainers...
    I wonder if the trainers will have diffrent animations after defeat. It'll be fun to see the trainer animation coming up during his last Pokemon, acting angry, saying how he's about to explode.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Omg I'd love post-battle animations. Probably not going to happen though cause IMO it would take long enough to do the normal animations. :( everyone dropping props would be awesome though after losing lol.

KingDrapion

dual-type Poison/Dark Pokémon.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2014
    Animations that I want to see are trainers and gym leaders actually throwing the pokeballs out onto the battlefield. But I guess current animations are good as well with each trainer and gym leaders having unique animations. But I dunno, I'd prefer watching the trainers throw out pokeballs. Ofcourse this is only my Opinion.

Livewire_

Knight of Three
    Years
  • Omg I'd love post-battle animations. Probably not going to happen though cause IMO it would take long enough to do the normal animations. :( everyone dropping props would be awesome though after losing lol.

I'd love that. Maybe take it a step further and give them a winning animation, and a losing animation, ahaha. But I'd imagine that would take up quite a lot of space/resources/data, etc. And it would draw battles out, too.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Animations that I want to see are trainers and gym leaders actually throwing the pokeballs out onto the battlefield. But I guess current animations are good as well with each trainer and gym leaders having unique animations. But I dunno, I'd prefer watching the trainers throw out pokeballs. Ofcourse this is only my Opinion.
    AMEN SISTER. I mean you'd think they would have that by now, but nope. n_n I guess it isn't too big a deal, but it would've made battles more realistic in the beginning scene.

Now that you mention Gym Leader animations, it'd be amazing to see Homika rocking out to her electric guitar, and there being an actual short guitar solo during the animation.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I think I would love to see Shizui's animation be similar to the attack dive. Like he's underwtaer at first and then launches into the air from underneath and lands on his feet in a big "TA-DAH" pose.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I hope they update a few of them at sometime. Of the top of my head, Typhosion especially has a pretty poor back sprite
    If GameFreak doesn't get around to changing the sprite of all 649 Pokémon, then I'd be cool with a change for Unova Pokémon only at least. :[ Though Lillipup had the same sprite/animation, they could always change that in the future and get away with it.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I wouldn't mind all of the Pokemon sprites being the same, at all, really. Though what bothers me is how FAT Clefairy got over the course of one generation. It was skinny in the fourth, and then fifth it gained fifty pounds.

I do wish they would show the opponents' sprites throw the Pokeball, but eh, it's not a big issue.

AtavanHalen343

Dacaytus, one of my sprites.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    To everyone complaining about back sprites being too pixelated, it's because they still are in the same 96x96 dimesnions that the front sprites are. the only reason they appear so pixelated is because the game zooms in to the pokemon's back sprite during battle, in addition to the camera moving. It's not Game Freak being lazy; if you actually look at the back sprites, when viewed at the same size as the front sprites, they are very good, detailed, and just as smooth.

Back