• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokémon & Trainer Sprite Changes?

The Lord of Smug
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    Dude okay look not all pokemon are animated, just the starters.

Reshiram and Chandelure stay the same.

This may not be final version however.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    They announced that all trainers will be animated, as opposed to just a few. Which really makes me that much more ecstatic. <333

Pretty exciting to have that change tbh. Just having a boring trainer, motionless, releasing a moving Pokemon seems kind of... illogical. I'm interested in seeing the other animations though. :3 Hopefully for the football players they show them catching a ball or something!

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022

Pretty exciting to have that change tbh. Just having a boring trainer, motionless, releasing a moving Pokemon seems kind of... illogical. I'm interested in seeing the other animations though. :3 Hopefully for the football players they show them catching a ball or something!

Oh goodness yes. I thought it was just...kind of dumb not to make the trainer even a little animated. I'd love to see the cheerleaders' animation! Jumping around and shouting at the top of their lungs.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020

Yes, trainer animations ftw. It's a shame that they still don't throw the Pokéball when they're sending out a Pokémon though.

I imagine the Parasol ladies spinning their umbrellas, the Maid trainers bowing, and the Cheerleaders waving their pompoms around...this will all be fun. :D

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Yes, trainer animations ftw. It's a shame that they still don't throw the Pokéball when they're sending out a Pokémon though.

I imagine the Parasol ladies spinning their umbrellas, the maid trainers bowing, and the cheerleaders waving their pompoms around...this will all be fun. :D

Don't think they'll spin their umbrellas, maybe move them from the side to in front of them, but spinning seems kinda un lady-like. XD;

Oh goodness yes. I thought it was just...kind of dumb not to make the trainer even a little animated. I'd love to see the cheerleaders' animation! Jumping around and shouting at the top of their lungs.

Only problem is we won't hear shouting ;x

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020

Don't think they'll spin their umbrellas, maybe move them from the side to in front of them, but spinning seems kinda un lady-like. XD;
    It is very lady-like! It's a popular thing. I've seen models modeling with umbrellas do it. Okay.

I'm hoping that all of the Pokémon get new animations, if not new sprites. Just like the trainers, it will be interesting to speculate what they will do!

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I have a feeling only the 3 starters will get new, cute, animations.

Loving the trainer animations, if only they did this in 2007 with diamond.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Oshawott does indeed show off its little seashell! Snivy's is okay, better than the original animation at least.

I want Tepig's animation to hop up and down. :<

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I'm satisfied with the animations. I still want Tepig to hop around, BUT I'LL LIVE.
    Are they going to be changing the animation for all Pokemon, or just the starters? I know it's been a debate whether or not they have, but I'm not sure if anyone has confirmed it yet.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Personally I love all of the trainer animations shown so far. They looks far smoother than past animations.
    I know for Pokemon animations they use a joint animation system (Yuck imo) to cut down on time consumption, which is understandable. When you have to animate 649+ creatures with multiple stances/front & back positions in a battle you're going to want to cut down the time it takes to meet project milestones.

The trainers actually look like they were properly animated though!
    I can't wait to see more, such as the new Gym Leaders and such.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Personally I love all of the trainer animations shown so far. They looks far smoother than past animations.
    I know for Pokemon animations they use a joint animation system (Yuck imo) to cut down on time consumption, which is understandable. When you have to animate 649+ creatures with multiple stances/front & back positions in a battle you're going to want to cut down the time it takes to meet project milestones.

The trainers actually look like they were properly animated though!
    I can't wait to see more, such as the new Gym Leaders and such.
    I'm excited about the Gym Leaders, too. Especially the Water Leader.
    The ones I'm most excited to see is how they animated the Elite Four and the Champion.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I'm excited about the Gym Leaders, too. Especially the Water Leader.
    The ones I'm most excited to see is how they animated the Elite Four and the Champion.
    Yeeesss. If the Elite Four does happen to stay the same (minus Alder pl0x), I can imagine Shauntal flipping a page of her book as the new animation.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022

Yeeesss. If the Elite Four does happen to stay the same (minus Alder pl0x), I can imagine Shauntal flipping a page of her book as the new animation.

I could see Grimsley dancing. Oh lawd, the image. <3
    Marshal showing off his skills.
    Caitlin giving you the stink eye for waking her lazy self up.
    Shauntal flipping pages and writing in her book.
    Finally, Alder BEING ABSENT ALL TOGETHER falling through the air, landing on his feet, and then sitting down.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • The ninja class if they appear (I don't remember seeing much of them in BW) can fade in and out like actual ninja.
    The swimmers could swims around in circles, or rise up from the water.

Black Kyurem's sprite needs fixing...it looks an ugly shade of brown rather than grey like it's official art work...

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    The ninja class if they appear (I don't remember seeing much of them in BW) can fade in and out like actual ninja.
    The swimmers could swims around in circles, or rise up from the water.

Black Kyurem's sprite needs fixing...it looks an ugly shade of brown rather than grey like it's official art work...
    The shadow triad scares me, but I'd like their animation to do that. Couldn't imagine what else they would do anyway. The swimmer trainers from Black and White don't look like they would come out of the water though. The male swimmer is stretching so his animation is bound to be him stretching from side to side.

Black Kyurem looks like it combined itself with Garbodor. u_u;

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    I'm fairly surprised that they're using proper animation for the trainers, instead of the 3-frame stuff we usually get. The stuff they've shown is great so far - one reason that I'm now hoping for some of the Gym Leaders/Elite Four reappear is so we could see their animated sprites, haha.

And I only just realized from the sprite that Black Kyurem's arms are really long...

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I am quite disappointed with the Black and White Kyurem sprites at the moment, they look far too junky and flinky, but eh - we've seen sprite changes happen before so I've got my fingers crossed.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I love Oshawott's, btw. It's perhaps the cutest thing the games have revealed so far and looks like Oshawott in anime which is cute ;;

Aaand, yeah, Black Kyurem's sprite is terrible. Honestly they could've done better, imo. :x WHY SUCH NICE ART BUT SUCH BAD SPRITE?!

Back