• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon types you rarely use?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • We all have our preferences and strategies when it comes to battling, and types are a big part of that. So, are there any types you've avoided when it comes to creating teams - either intentionally or just because they never interested you?

I really don't use many Normal-types. I know they get great STAB on a lot of good moves, and a lot of them can be great support roles in a more competitive scenario, but I'm I pretty much just pick sweepers when it comes to battling and the lack of a strength against any other type make them rather ineffective in that regard.
    I've also rarely gone out of my way to use some of the weirder types like Bug or Poison, just cause they tend to be a little less available and seem a fair bit weaker than some of the more common types.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Dragon Type

I don't like playing them, I just don't.
    Most of it is because everybody uses them and I was constantly on the receiving side of a Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, (insert stereotypical over powered OU Dragon pokemon here), I just grew to dislike using them all together.

It's a powerful typing (even with Fairy type, It's still an incredibly powerful type), it was just designed that way. I don't play with Legends or Dragon types because I don't want to be a good battler just because I use the obvious in your face powerful pokemon. I battle just fine without them, so why bother.

I can design an incredibly powerful team just fine without using a single Dragon, and my teams are designed to always be able to deal with Dragons. So not playing them and knowing that I can take them down makes me comfortable with fighting against them, so I don't hate them completely and I also don't get angry from people using them either.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    I've noticed that I hardly ever use Electric types. I don't dislike them in the least, a few of my favorite Pokémon are electric (Luxray, Ampharos) but I just never have much of a place for them on my in game OR competitive teams. Aside from Platinum, of course, where I always raise a Shinx.

I also don't use a terrible lot of Ground Pokémon. Once again, nothing against them, I just don't choose them a whole lot. A lot of the ground type Pokémon have ugly designs to me (Diggersby, Dugtrio, Hippowdon) and when I choose my teams, looks do play a pretty big part. Not to say there aren't plenty of cute ground type Pokémon.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Bug and Rock. I just never really find use for these types since I always prefer to have more accessible types on my team. There aren't many Bug or Rock Pokemon that I can justify using at the moment.

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
    Years
  • Probably ice and steel. There are some Pokemon I like with either of those typings, but when I make my teams I never really find a place for them.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I kiiinda don't use Normal type pokemon all that much, surprisingly. I dunno, I always felt as though they were a bit too diverse? Or maybe I just didn't like the majority of Normal pokemon within a game?

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I don't often use Normal or Fairy types, I've just never been a big fan of either of these types.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Normal - This typing do cover some STAB, but competitively you won't got much cover up as it's just too bland and does 1x damage on non-steel and non-rock type, also immune to ghost > ghost immune to normal
    Ice - It does have high special defense, but the typing just too fragile to handle.

HyperMorian

Busy with University.
    Years
  • While I'm considerably okay with every 18 types available, the type I rarely use would be both Bug and Ice. Some popular Bug-Types are pretty good competitively (Forretress, Heracross, etc.), but the rest of it are rather below average in stats and common weaknesses. The same path goes along with Ice.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2016
    I use most types; I never used to use dragon very much due to their limited availability, but in more recent games I've used them a little more as they're actually available relatively early on in the games. It's more rare that I'll use a pure single-type Pokemon, rather than any one particular type in general.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I don't think I've ever used a rock type before. But thanks to Lycanroc, this will change when I get Moon version.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2021
    I don't really play Normal or Fairy Types. I just don't like Normal types and Fairy types are the counter to my fave, Dragon. I know Ice is also a counter but I can get around it by having some fire types or fire moves.

Years
  • I hardly ever use Normal, Bug or Ghost types, I just find the first two common and boring almost - plus I don't particularly like the designs of any bug type Pokemon. I don't really run into many Ghost types and I tend to prefer other Pokemon found in the region over them, for example, I would like to have a Gengar in FRLG but I don't really like Gastly, Haunter or the hassle of trading them to a different game in order to evolve and therefore I've never had a Gengar in a playthrough of any game.

Guest123_x1

Dragon, Fighting, and Ghost are among the types that I can think of using the least. Many of the Pokémon I use are dual-typed, and what Pokémon I use varies by game, so there's some types that I'm more likely to use in one game vs. another.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • Rock, Poison and Fighting types are the most common types I just never end up using.

Poison type I like, I just don't particularly like many pokemon with that typing.

Rock type has never particularly intrigued me - and is overshadowed by my appreciation for the steel and ground types.

Fighting type I find incredibly boring - the type and the pokemon with that type.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • Ice types are probably my least favourite. Such fragility. And it doesn't help that most Water Pokémon wield Ice moves, making Ice type Pokémon even less incentivised.

I haven't used many Ghost types either, but I think that'll change. I've always liked Rotom and Golurk.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I hardly use grass types most playthroughs! I'm usually fine just having a water and fire type. However I've grown more attached to using grass types in my recent playthroughs.

I've noticed that I never seem to use rock types though. I think they're cool Pokemon but they're too weak and slow for my liking. I also hardly use bug and poison types for some reason. I have used all three of these types but it seems like I never ever have them on my team. Ice is another type I almost never use since I tend to just teach my water pokemon Ice Beam!

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • I've noticed, and it's not a conscious choice, that I almost never use Electric, Ice or Psychic types. I don't really like a lot of Psychic Pokémon, and I'm kind of neutral towards Electric types. But Ice is one of my favourite types; the only problem is they're so hard to come by, especially early in games. Usually, by the time I reach a stage of any Pokémon game where Ice types are obtainable/common, I've already got the bulk of my team, they're all much higher level than the wild Ice types and I can't be bothered raising something 20+ levels to get it competitive and on par with the rest of my party.

Years
  • I rarely use the fairy type.

I love every other type, but I can't stand fairy... The designs of most fairy-type Pokemon just annoy me; I thought the game was fine before this extra type was added. I wish Jigglypuff and Snubbull were still just normal types... Haha. {XD}

Although, once in a while, I will use a belly drum Slurpuff. She's the one fairy-type I don't mind!

Back