• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon types you rarely use?

Years
  • I see myself rarely using Ghost Flying and Steel types

Ghost type because almost all of them besides the Duskull evolution tree has terrible defense and i really dont like the move set they have!

Flying is alright i guess but most final evolutions of the flying types has a meh stat growth
    They do however got some pretty awesome moves like air slash brave bird and sky attack
    Althrough that does not make up for how quick they go down in battle like
    One rock or electric type attack is enough for them to go down.

Steel type ah the steel type awesome defense but weak against the common Special type attack like flamethrower They have some cool looking evolutions like Scizor and Steelix But alas they can get knocked out rather quickly If not the right strategy is used.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • I could use Steel types more often, only one or two I can think of in my actual teams. And grass, I think in total I've used 3 or 4 mostly starters. Neither of those types ever seem to work into my teams, but I actually go by favorite Pokemon first when making my teams. Sometimes Pokemon I do like just can't fit into the 3 (or 2 with XY) games of that generation (not counting remakes).

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2016
    I rarely use fighting types, but that may very well change with the introduction of jangmo line.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Thinking back on all my teams that i can remember, the only type that i basically never used was Psychic and after looking at who all the Psychic are, it kinda makes sense. I'm not really a fan of the Pokemon with that type all that much, save for Meowstic and Slowpoke (for their derpy faces). The only Psychic type I've used that i can remember in a playthrough though is Musharna and even then I boxed it around the 5th or 6th gym to make room for a different 'mon.

Migit78

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I don't have a particular type I try to avoid, but I feel like Ice types rarely make my team.
    I think this is due to them generally being found in the later stages of the game, and my team tends to grow with me through game play.

After the first few routes, I get pretty lazy on changing out a member of my team for a new catch, because it would require grinding to level them up. Unless theyre a pokemon I love, or have a design cool enough that I want to use them

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2016
    I never really got myself to use Bug type pokemons. I dont know but i don't really like them.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I seldom use Dragon and Ice type Pokémon because they're rarely obtainable in the first half of the game. By that time I have basically formed my final team that's going to face the Elite Four already. I don't really like swapping out Pokémon I have been training for a long time.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Most types that were Physical before the split in gen IV. I often find myself using a more colorful array of types -- like Fire, Water, Electric, Grass, etc. So I often forgo types like Fighting, Ground, Rock, apparently all the brown ones when you look at the color coding, lmao. Welp.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • Types You Just Don't Use

Does anyone else have types that they just don't ever seem to use? For me, it's the Rock and Steel types. I also have a weird aversion to having both a Fire and Electric type on my team. Unless I choose the Fire starter, I almost never have both on my team. It's either the Electric type OR the Fire type. Not both.

Years
  • I hardly ever use Rock, Steel or Dark type Pokemon, I guess I don't really like any with those typings. The last Steel type I used was Steelix in HGSS and I seriously can't even remember what my last Rock and Dark types were (ironic as my favourite Pokemon is Zorua).

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Definitely Steel. The only time I ever use them are when I'm purposely trying to use Pokémon I've never used/used much, but they always get boxed in the post-game. Most of them are also really slow and I prefer battles to go faster. Least-favorite Type for sure.

I do plan to use Alolan Sandslash, though. Its Typing isn't the greatest and I think I read that its Speed was lowered, but I've always liked Sandslash's design and I think it's awesome that it gained my favorite Type (Ice).

I don't use Dragon-, Rock-, or Fighting-Types much, either. Just not many of them that I like and the few that I do are either hard to get or not very reliable.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    Rock Types weren't my cup of tea in terms of usage, barring mons like Tyranitar, Aggron, Omastar, and Archeops.

Mainly because a lot of Rock Type Pokémon are slow, and most Rock Type attacks can easily miss due to poor accuracy. They also tend to sport a lot of weaknesses, which didn't help at all.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • To me, there's almost no point in using a Rock-type Pokemon if you can just teach a non-Rock type with high attack Stone Edge. Makes the type basically useless, especially since without Rock moves, the type becomes a matter of "anything I can do, the Steel-type does better". Unless you're Tyranitar, of course.

Same with the Ice-type. Why have a whole Pokemon dedicated to the worst defensive typing in all of Pokemon if you can just teach your Water-type Ice Beam, which is arguably the best Ice-type move of all? "But you're missing out on dat STAB tho, Imperishable you fool!" Nonsense, I'd never use a Walrein, Glalie or Vanilluxe. Even then, Mega Glalie uses its ability and Normal-type moves instead of its definitive Ice typing.

I don't use Grass-types because it's just a super boring type to me, not because you have other options that can make you completely avoid the type altogether. I just don't like Grass, lol.

Years
  • For me it is Steel type and Fairy type. I have caught steel types in such a less amount that i even remember them -

Lucario (my first)
    Dialga
    Elgyme (sorry for spelling if it is wrong)
    Escalavier

Since i'd not played gen 6, i'd never used fairy type.

Smash Brony

Cool Dude
    Years
  • The type that stands out most in my mind for this topic is Poison.
    It's because in older games, there wasn't much point to having one as I usually already have a Pokémon of a type that beats the types Poison does & more.
    & In the newer games, there were still not any Poison type that I especially liked.
    WARNING: READ THE FOLLOWING ONLY IF YOU KNOW THE LEAKED CONTENTS OF SUN/MOON.
    Spoiler:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I've come out of my shell a bit and used a Dark-type Pokémon in Sun. It hasn't been super useful, but I don't have anything else yet that deals with ghosts, so whatevs. It's Umbreon, which is also a pretty good tank.

Besides that, just been using my usual types. I wanted to do more unusual stuff in S&M but it didn't really happen :/

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
    Years
  • Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've never had a Fighting-type in my main team.

Back