• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Typing Debate

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
Years
  • To clear a few things up:

-Tyranitar-It's Rock/Dark because Tyranitar is viewed as a hazardous and maliciously destructive Pokemon. This also contributes to all appearances of Tyranitar in the anime. Also, it's appearance looks relatively dark.

-Jirachi-As much as I hate its typing, it makes sense. Jirachi sleeps within a meteorite and meteorites are mostly metal. Hence the Steel part. Psychic is due to the fact it grants wishes.

Anyways, what about Sceptile? It's pure Grass, but looks like it should be part Dragon! It can learn Dragon-type moves which few Pokemon that are non-Dragon can learn.

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    Tyranitar's Dark/Rock combination would seem to be a balance issue, too. He's got a lot of halved weaknesses and has a lot of supereffective weaknesses, too, to balance it out.

RE: Gyarados:

I'm sure someone has said this before, but I believe that Magikarp and Gyarados are referencing an old Chinese myth.

There is a Chinese myth that involves the transformation of a Carp into a Dragon as it manages to jump over Dragon's Gate where no other Carp (depending on the variation of the tale) was able to.

Since this is a fish-transformed-into-a-dragon Dragon rather than a born-Dragon (Chinese mythology makes a distinction between the two and all Dragons are related to the Water as they control the waters), it makes sense that Gyarados would retain its 'fishy' past as a Magikarp in retaining its Water type with the addition of a Flying type since it literally 'flew' over the Dragon's Gate and thus became a 'Dragon' and is thus able to learn Dragon moves.

MrGhost

Spooky Scary~
    Years
  • Tyranitar's Dark/Rock combination would seem to be a balance issue, too. He's got a lot of halved weaknesses and has a lot of supereffective weaknesses, too, to balance it out.

RE: Gyarados:

I'm sure someone has said this before, but I believe that Magikarp and Gyarados are referencing an old Chinese myth.

There is a Chinese myth that involves the transformation of a Carp into a Dragon as it manages to jump over Dragon's Gate where no other Carp (depending on the variation of the tale) was able to.

Since this is a fish-transformed-into-a-dragon Dragon rather than a born-Dragon (Chinese mythology makes a distinction between the two and all Dragons are related to the Water as they control the waters), it makes sense that Gyarados would retain its 'fishy' past as a Magikarp in retaining its Water type with the addition of a Flying type since it literally 'flew' over the Dragon's Gate and thus became a 'Dragon'.
    But then why isn't gyarados a dragon type?

Hahaha, sorry.
    Anyhow, the whole sceptile thing makes a lot of sense. It really could be part dragon, though I doubt we'll ever get a dragon starter.

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    But then why isn't gyarados a dragon type?

Hahaha, sorry.
    Anyhow, the whole sceptile thing makes a lot of sense. It really could be part dragon, though I doubt we'll ever get a dragon starter.

LOL

Nothing to be sorry about! :)

Well, the way I see it is this (and this is just an opinion):

If they were going by the myth, then leaving Gyarados as a Water/Flying but still giving him solid Dragon moves would better fit in to the myth of a Carp-turned-Dragon as Gyarados is a Magikarp fish (pure Water type) who became a Dragon (with the help of Flying to get over the proverbial Dragon's Gate) and not a Dragon-born Dragon who started out as a Dragon.

If Gyarados' type became Dragon or Dragon/Water, then there is almost an assumption that Gyarados' previous unevolved form was also a Dragon.

Unlike something like Flying which can be added on as long as someone grew wings (like Dragonite who became +Flying after only being a Dragon), it is more unlikely that something can go from being one creature type (like a Dragon) to another (like a Bug).

Seeing Gyarados looking undeniably like a Dragon and then seeing the Water/Flying says that, 'Here is a Dragon who wasn't born a Dragon but became a Dragon through perseverence'.

Same thing with Charizard. Seeing him looking Dragon-like but seeing him being Fire and Flying seems to suggest that, 'Here is a Dragon who wasn't born a Dragon but became a Dragon through perseverence'.

Just my two cents. :)

MrGhost

Spooky Scary~
    Years
  • LOL

Nothing to be sorry about! :)

Well, the way I see it is this (and this is just an opinion):

If they were going by the myth, then leaving Gyarados as a Water/Flying but still giving him solid Dragon moves would better fit in to the myth of a Carp-turned-Dragon as Gyarados is a Magikarp fish (pure Water type) who became a Dragon (with the help of Flying to get over the proverbial Dragon's Gate) and not a Dragon-born Dragon who started out as a Dragon.

If Gyarados' type became Dragon or Dragon/Water, then there is almost an assumption that Gyarados' previous unevolved form was also a Dragon.

Unlike something like Flying which can be added on as long as someone grew wings (like Dragonite who became +Flying after only being a Dragon), it is more unlikely that something can go from being one creature type (like a Dragon) to another (like a Bug).

Seeing Gyarados looking undeniably like a Dragon and then seeing the Water/Flying says that, 'Here is a Dragon who wasn't born a Dragon but became a Dragon through perseverence'.

Same thing with Charizard. Seeing him looking Dragon-like but seeing him being Fire and Flying seems to suggest that, 'Here is a Dragon who wasn't born a Dragon but became a Dragon through perseverence'.

Just my two cents. :)
    ^This makes a buttload of sense.
    So yeah, I suppose that's why we won't get a dragon starter.
    Buuuut...
    What about Horsea -> Seadra -> Kingdra?
    Horsea and Seadra are both water, while kingdra becomes dragon...

Jin-Roh

VGC or Bust.
    Years
  • the thing about crawdaunk. it is more intent on the fact that it's a crustacean a very specific crustacean.
    Crawdads are murk dwelling crustaceans living in shallow riverbeds and some times close to the ocean depending on the species. but they are almost all freshwater.
    now how i think that this makes it dark is reliant on two things... crawdads basically live in mud under water. when it feels threatened it tends to scatter the murk into the water along with it's nearby family members creating a cloud of confusion for that which can see in the light and provide the crawdads with a much better chance of survival as they can see much better in the murk.

wow a mouthful. but that's my two cents being a southern bred man who'se done some crawhuntin in my time.

maybe cause poseidon rode a seahorse? i can't even think of a good BS answer for that one.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Then there are those whose types seem counter-productive, like Chinchou. I mean, it's Water/Electric. It lives in the ocean. How does it not kill all the other Water-types?
    There are electric eels and other creatures that produce electricity (albeit small amounts) and this is just that idea taken a little further. Besides, lightning regularly strikes water, but since most bodies of water are pretty big it hardly makes an impact.

Jin-Roh

VGC or Bust.
    Years
  • There are electric eels and other creatures that produce electricity (albeit small amounts) and this is just that idea taken a little further. Besides, lightning regularly strikes water, but since most bodies of water are pretty big it hardly makes an impact.

the thing about lightning hitting water is it has nothing to complete a circuit. the energy is lost when compared to the volume of what it's striking. this is a small bit different depending on salt water fresh water... but not enough of a diffrence to make all fish in the area of an angel fish die. it's electricity is produced in such a small amount and where it lives in generally so deep underwater the slightest bit of energy can produce a lantern worth of light. not the same for an eel where it discharges all its energy at once making for whatevers is within close proximity subject to a bit of therapy.

hokay.. marine biologist outties.

MrGhost

Spooky Scary~
    Years
  • the thing about lightning hitting water is it has nothing to complete a circuit. the energy is lost when compared to the volume of what it's striking. this is a small bit different depending on salt water fresh water... but not enough of a diffrence to make all fish in the area of an angel fish die. it's electricity is produced in such a small amount and where it lives in generally so deep underwater the slightest bit of energy can produce a lantern worth of light. not the same for an eel where it discharges all its energy at once making for whatevers is within close proximity subject to a bit of therapy.

hokay.. marine biologist outties.

We're talking about POKEMON here!
    They can take out whole buildings with their awesome power! (See original pokemon theme for referral)
    Plus, lanturn are just awesome 8D

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • it's hard for me to grasp why sudowoodo is a rock type even though it looks like a tree and its fairly agile. my gf freaked out when she learned it was a rock type. it really doesn't make any sense. it looks really smooth, not porous or hard like geodude

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • To clear a few things up:

-Tyranitar-It's Rock/Dark because Tyranitar is viewed as a hazardous and maliciously destructive Pokemon. This also contributes to all appearances of Tyranitar in the anime. Also, it's appearance looks relatively dark.

-Jirachi-As much as I hate its typing, it makes sense. Jirachi sleeps within a meteorite and meteorites are mostly metal. Hence the Steel part. Psychic is due to the fact it grants wishes.

Anyways, what about Sceptile? It's pure Grass, but looks like it should be part Dragon! It can learn Dragon-type moves which few Pokemon that are non-Dragon can learn.
    wow that actually makes sense, thanks :D

and I agree with you on Sceptile, I was a bit bothered in RSE that Sceptile was the only starter without a secondary typing.

And what about Golduck? Water and Psychic, with good speed! Unlike Slowking.... then again Slowking has good defense.

MrGhost

Spooky Scary~
    Years
  • it's hard for me to grasp why sudowoodo is a rock type even though it looks like a tree and its fairly agile. my gf freaked out when she learned it was a rock type. it really doesn't make any sense. it looks really smooth, not porous or hard like geodude

Oh dear. I thought we'd been over this :|
    Sudowoodo's similarity to a tree is supposed to be ironic. It's called the imitation pokemon for a reason.
    Plus, the name is a hint: Sudowoodo, Pseudo-Wood.
    And, if your creative enough, you can imagine it as a rock quite easily 8D

Aquerex

A New Beggining
    Years
  • Gyarados- Flying? U CANT FLY! LIAR!
    Kingra- There is nothing Dragon-like about a seahorse.
    Infernape- Blaziken rip off!
    Gastly- Should be part psychic instead of poison, it just looks more psychic-y than poison

Iron Mankey

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • Grrr... CHARIZARD SHOULD BE Fire/Dragon!!!

Anyway, I thought Empoleon's Steel/Water should be changed to Ice/Water. IT'S A FRIKEN' PENGUIN, NOT A ROBOTIC PENGUIN!

A bit of a stretch, but perhaps it's to reflect penguins outstanding resilience. They're very hardy creatures.

Anyways, I don't mind having some rather unusual type combos- they make for interesting gameplay- as illustrated by Chinchou/Lanturn. The Water/Electric combo has a lot of potential, having only one weakness (Grass)- while giving it a STAB advantage over 5 types, and dancing around Grounds Electric immunity.

it's hard for me to grasp why sudowoodo is a rock type even though it looks like a tree and its fairly agile. my gf freaked out when she learned it was a rock type. it really doesn't make any sense. it looks really smooth, not porous or hard like geodude

Petrified wood. Looks like a tree, but it's actually a rock. Millions of years where the trees cells eventually draw up so much mineral matter that it actually changes its entire composition.

I don't get how Remoraid, a ****ing fish evovles into Octillery, a freaking octopus.
    It's stupid. It's like it just switched nationalities if it were human.

I suppose the developers were simply making the connection that both species suck. Remoras with a peculiar serrated appendage on their heads, while octopi have their suction cups. But, yes- that is a puzzler.

Gyarados- Flying? U CANT FLY! LIAR!
    Kingra- There is nothing Dragon-like about a seahorse.
    Infernape- Blaziken rip off!
    Gastly- Should be part psychic instead of poison, it just looks more psychic-y than poison

Gyarados - It has already been established that it is based off a Chinese myth.
    Kingdra - Again, mythology. Greek Hippocampus, a type of sea monster.
    Infernape - Are we to assume that all later examples of a type combination are simply rip-offs of earlier ones?
    Gastly - Once again, it was a question of balance.

Last edited:

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • A bit of a stretch, but perhaps it's to reflect penguins outstanding resilience. They're very hardy creatures.

Anyways, I don't mind having some rather unusual type combos- they make for interesting gameplay- as illustrated by Chinchou/Lanturn. The Water/Electric combo has a lot of potential, having only one weakness (Grass)- while giving it a STAB advantage over 5 types, and dancing around Grounds Electric immunity.

Petrified wood. Looks like a tree, but it's actually a rock. Millions of years where the trees cells eventually draw up so much mineral matter that it actually changes its entire composition.

I suppose the developers were simply making the connection that both species suck. Remoras with a peculiar serrated appendage on their heads, while octopi have their suction cups. But, yes- that is a puzzler.

Gyarados - It has already been established that it is based off a Chinese myth.
    Kingdra - Again, mythology. Greek Hippocampus, a type of sea monster.
    Infernape - Are we to assume that all later examples of a type combination are simply rip-offs of earlier ones?
    Gastly - Once again, it was a question of balance.

All of this, epecially the comment on Infernape/Blaziken!

Let us share our annoyance at some of the typing Game Freak gave some Pokemon. I'll start:

Palkia, Water/Dragon. Seriously? Water? What does that have to do with Space? :S It should have been Pyshic/Dragon, awesome!

Infernape. stupid Blaziken copier, though Blaziken should have been Fire/Flying, then that's be a Charizard copy, which brings us to the debate of that being part Dragon or even a Bird type being made for Blaziken.

Pidgeotto, Fearow, Swellow, Staraptor (OMG only 3-Stage one out of them :o, just realised xD). Why are these evolved goodnesses part Normal? They should be plain Flying or even Bird types... But I guess being part Normal gives them STAB from some moves.

What are some, or all of your typing peeves?

Pidgeotto evolves into Pidgeot...and Fearow is in the same generation. Did you mean Noctowl? I don't know why but I always thought Noctowl was Flying/Psychic for some reason...

Exactly what Iron Mankey said above me. Just because a Pokemon's alread had that typing it means that no other Pokemon can have that typing?
    That's how many combinations? 136 type combinations, with an extra 17 possibilities for mono-types.

Last edited:

Meepman

Arogance is bliss
    Years
  • Isn't Kingdra a dragon type because he's based off of a Sea dragon? Also I don't really think sceptile should be part dragon type, I know he can learn dragon type moves but so can arcanine and lucario it's not special. Plus I just don't think he really looks like like a dragon, looks more like a lizard man-thing...

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    ^This makes a buttload of sense.
    So yeah, I suppose that's why we won't get a dragon starter.
    Buuuut...
    What about Horsea -> Seadra -> Kingdra?
    Horsea and Seadra are both water, while kingdra becomes dragon...

I have no myth-logical explanation whatsoever for the Horsea line as mythological references to seahorses mostly has to do with Poseidon's seahorses/hippocampi which has nothing to do with dragons at all.

The only thing I can guess is that since the final evolution has the Seadra becoming a Kingdra, maybe they decided to make the 'King' of Horsea-types a Dragon, though that makes no sense to me either.

Isn't Kingdra a dragon type because he's based off of a Sea dragon? Also I don't really think sceptile should be part dragon type, I know he can learn dragon type moves but so can arcanine and lucario it's not special. Plus I just don't think he really looks like like a dragon, looks more like a lizard man-thing...

Yes, that IS very true - a leafy sea dragon!

'Leafy sea dragon' is more of a description based on what it looks like though, rather than an actual reference to a real 'Dragon' and amongst those in the leafy sea dragon family are the seahorses.

In which case, though, where I can see now where Kingdra got its Dragon typing, it seems unfair then that Gyarados didn't because Gyarados - according to myth - actually became a Dragon-Dragon.

For Kingdra, the Leafy Sea Dragon comes as a description of what it looks like (the real leafy sea dragon) and not because of any real relationship to dragons.

Last edited:
    Years
  • plus in the bible it said the earth was created on a turtle, the turtle is swimming in water isn't it if the earth is the turtle then the water must be space,

Oh dear. No. The Bible, written by the Hebrew people, DOES equate water with chaos/space, but the giant turtle has about as much to do with the Bible as Barbie does with Gears of War.

Now, onto a discussion of types:
    EMPOLEON (Water/Steel)-> The steel is there so that fire types can do normal damage to it. It's the same with Torterra's secondary type of Ground, which allows water to do normal damage. The REAL issue here is not the water/steel, but...
    MONFERNO/INFERNAPE (Fire/Fighting)-> In order to keep with the secondary typings allowing you to have an advantage over your rival's choice, these two should have been Fire/Rock, which would allow grass to do normal damage. That being said, I love my Infernape and like him just the way he is :3

Now, for some new ones to add to the discussion:
    LUXRAY (Electric)-> I always thought, based off of the coloring and the moveset, that Luxray should have been Electric/Dark. It parallels the Sinnoh starters in so many ways, except for the fact that it never gets a secondary type.
    LUCARIO (Fighting/Steel)-> Umm... why? There is absolutely nothing in Lucario's appearance or moveset that suggests steel. I think that Fighting/Ground would have been a much better combo.
    Suicune (Water)-> Why is it not ice?

Back