• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon Oregon o_o

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
    Years
    ok, this is my plan:
    I'm using sphere to create a pokemon game, this pokemon game is supposed to use all the graphics from previous versions (tilesets), the graphics for the pokemon will also be available for the people to choose I hope. The battle system will be improved, there will be more pokeballs (some that before only existed in the anime) and all the stuff exclusive from Gold/Silver added up to the stuff from the rest of the pokemon games (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen and hopefully Pearl/Diamond when those come out), appart from that it will be completely similar to the engine on the GBA, with a lot of new stuff and the most important part of all: free. I know there's always gonna be these guys that use the engine and will not give credit, saying it's their own, but if I really succeed in creating it, every true pokemon fan will know the real creator of it. Considering sphere uses JavaScript and I dunno much about it I would ask people to please tell me where can I find good tutorials to make battle systems and other stuff in sphere, as well as just common javascript tutorials that don't have anything to do with sphere. The only programming languages I know are BASIC and Java (I know it doesn't have anything to do with JavaScript :P) but I bet I will learn fast. If anyone is interested in the project and would like to help in some way (even if it is only to give ideas): post here, PM me or send me an email to [email protected]/add me to msn :)

Some features I thought about the game:
    - Situated in a new region called Oregon, I might include others like Johto, Kanto, etc later
    - Morning, Day, Evening and Night System (Some pokemon only available at night while others only available during day (the rest of them will be available at any time)
    - You will be able to catch all pokemon.
    - Weather System (will give advantage/disadvantage depending of the pokemon in battle).
    - Normal, Shadow and Shiny pokemon will be available (I'll probably have to work on the Shadow one's sprites or maybe just make sphere darken the normal sprite).
    - Shadow pokemon will exceed the rest in Special Defence, Attack and Hit Points while Shiny will exceed in Speed, Defense and Special Attack.
    - As pokemon born, live and breed it will be possible for them to die as well, legendary pokemon don't die and semi-legendary will leave an egg before they do so which will ensure they keep going on through generations.
    - There will be more virus in addition to the PokeRus, some might even kill the pokemon.
    - The trainer will need to eat, as well as its pokemon, otherwise they will be weak and... :\
    - The game will use all the other pokemon GBA games graphics.
    - Pokedex, Movedex, Berrydex, Battlechart, Pokeballdex, Pokegear, etc will all be available.
    - Maybe later I will put the contests working as they are a part of the game mechanics I quite don't understand.
    - At some point when u are really advanced in the game, such things as IV calculators, etc will be available.
    - I hope I can create a Fly with two stages, before you finish the game it will be the normal "fly" where you choose the city that you want to go to and the pokemon will take u there. The second stage (after you finish the game) the character will appear over a black pokemon with wings (like when you use surf) and you will be able to hover over the maps (no collisions) and land anywhere allowed.

As I said before, it's hard but not impossible, it will take time. But the more people involved in the project the faster it will be ready to be released.

Why did I choose Sphere instead of Gamemaker or RPG Maker XP?
    Reason: because 1. gamemaker sucks for rpgs, 2. RPG Maker XP uses Ruby scripting (which seemed to me as being more complicated to learn and less flexible than JavaScript), RPG Maker XP already has a predefined Battlesystem and team system that I don't quite like, Sphere supports bigger tilesets and more layers than RPG Maker XP, etc, etc
    The only thing I found in RMXP that I didn't find in Sphere is the Autotile thingy (that doesn't mean it's not there), but that will probably not be a problem.
    This doesn't mean I don't like RPG Maker XP, I love it, been using RM since the 95 version :o
    I just think sphere will be better for this game.

Any ideas, etc u know what to do :)

Screens:
    Pok?mon Oregon o_o

Pok?mon Oregon o_o
    Pok?mon Oregon o_o

Pok?mon Oregon o_o

Pok?mon Oregon o_o
    Pok?mon Oregon o_o
    Pok?mon Oregon o_o

Pok?mon Oregon o_o

Pok?mon Oregon o_o

Pok?mon Oregon o_o
    Pok?mon Oregon o_o
    Pok?mon Oregon o_o

Pok?mon Oregon o_o

Last edited:

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    Seems like an awesome game, but how about some screens?

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
    Years
    As I said, I'm starting the project, so there's no screens yet, that's why I asked for some java script tutorials so I can start putting the game more pokemonish :o
    As soon as I manage to put collisions, and some other problems I will post some screens. :)

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
    Years
    lol, I will have screens soon, I dunno why it would be locked this is supposed to be about "Game Development" if the game just started being developed how could I show screens, anyways, if you want screens I'll map smth quickly and show it although it's nothing amazing might keep people in a good mood :P I read some tutorials about JavaScript and I'm getting really good with it so soon the game will start having a bunch of cool features, I'm currently working on the Trainer ID Number, it will use the date on the computer (year, month, hours, minutes, seconds and milliseconds) to generate a ID number (it will multiply all of them and use mod 100000 to come up with a 6 number ID.

Years
    [_DarkDragon_] said:
    lol, I will have screens soon, I dunno why it would be locked this is supposed to be about "Game Development" if the game just started being developed how could I show screens
    It's a requirement to have both a story and screenshots, so we have something to go by. Had you read the rules you'd know.

QFred

Behold...
    Years
    Looks a good idea, I like to see Sphere games!

But still, you should try to get some done and screens before you post the game!

QFred

Behold...
    Years
    Yes I understand what you mean but I'm also doing a game but I won't post it until I have enough mapping and scripting done!

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    Dude even though you haven't finished collsion so so screens. It's great to see another Sphere game.

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
    Years
    OK, here's a simple screen. I'm trying to work out the reflection in the water, right now it appears everywhere, I'm trying to put it only on the water:

Pok?mon Oregon o_o

Tomorrow I'll try to fix that and add some custom menu graphics, etc :)

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 29, 2007
    This looks like it could become a good game. Sphere makes very good RPGs. I'm looking forward to it. Really am, seriously. It might be the beginning of something great. Just don't give up k.

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
    Years
    I finally managed to make the reflection appear only on the water, I'll try to change the oppacity and show it here later. I won't give up cause I'm tired of seeing a lot of people making very good engines and then keeping the secret for themselves, I hope to share this project when finished so that anyone can add to it or just make new maps, history, etc :)

As I said before as well, if anyone is interested in helping me I'll be on msn, and here :D

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Mar 29, 2007
    Learning sphere is still something I've been meaning to get round to so sorry I wish I could help, but I can't. And it's godd your releasing the scripts. it will stop all the starters asking about it over and over.

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
    Years
    That's what I'm trying to do, but before that I'm trying to make the player being able to move like in the pokemon games (only north, west, east and south (not the rest: southeast, etc)) and also making the player move by tiles instead of pixels and whenever not walking the animation stops in the one where the character is stopped (both feet on the ground). I might look at some projects made with sphere that can do that and learn how to do it :)

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    Ok we got the tile movement working now. As soon as we can get a good message box picture we'll show the message box system.

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
    Years
    ye, thanks to TheAbsol we got the tile movement working, here'S the message system in action:

Pok?mon Oregon o_o

Pok?mon Oregon o_o

notice that as the scond part of the message is the last part that is going to show up the arrow disappears which means there's no more text after that ;)

TrainerID generator (Just a simple test):

Pok?mon Oregon o_o

And our menu :P (still needs to be improved):

Pok?mon Oregon o_o

Tomorrow I'll make a better menu, add the trainer card and hopefully the save/load feature, oh, and the world map :D

Back