• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Fire Red 251+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Haven't come here for a while now.

I just wanted to say that there was a little glitch : when a Pokémon with two types is hit by an attack who is not very effective on any of the two types (a poison attack hitting a Spectrum for example) the game displays twice the "it's not very effective" text. While it's not a major problem, it's quite annoying at some point.

Oh, I think I already asked that but can you tell me if you could make a Word or readme file explaining the change you gave to the game mechanics (move teaching levels, change of power/accuracy, the new move that some Pokémon can learn now and couldn't before, and so on...)

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    ****ing caterpie snow warning freezes the game.. i can't continue . plz fix
    Did you download the fixed patch I made a while ago? It switches Caterpie's ability to what it was before which caused the crash.

I just wanted to say that there was a little glitch : when a Pokémon with two types is hit by an attack who is not very effective on any of the two types (a poison attack hitting a Spectrum for example) the game displays twice the "it's not very effective" text. While it's not a major problem, it's quite annoying at some point.

Oh, I think I already asked that but can you tell me if you could make a Word or readme file explaining the change you gave to the game mechanics (move teaching levels, change of power/accuracy, the new move that some Pokémon can learn now and couldn't before, and so on...)
    I haven't noticed this type bug before, I'll look into it. As for the word file that's coming next version.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Right then, I have some bad news guys.

What was very slow progress on this hack has slowed to a halt because of personal things going on. I'm sorry, but I'm all but forced to put this on indefinite hiatus.

For the additional mumbo-jumbo: since I left the proper ini files behind, if someone should wish to update the rombase when a new version comes out, or fix some problems if you happen to find them somehow, I'm not asking for anyone to do so but I give all permission for this to happen. All I wish for is credit to be given where it's due, and if they should need to start a new thread for the project to link to this one.

I'm sorry to see this go. Everyone in PC's been great and I've learned a lot from this project. Thanks a bunch to everyone, and who knows? Maybe further down the line I'll come back here and start the project fresh.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2015
    Right then, I have some bad news guys.

What was very slow progress on this hack has slowed to a halt because of personal things going on. I'm sorry, but I'm all but forced to put this on indefinite hiatus.

For the additional mumbo-jumbo: since I left the proper ini files behind, if someone should wish to update the rombase when a new version comes out, or fix some problems if you happen to find them somehow, I'm not asking for anyone to do so but I give all permission for this to happen. All I wish for is credit to be given where it's due, and if they should need to start a new thread for the project to link to this one.

I'm sorry to see this go. Everyone in PC's been great and I've learned a lot from this project. Thanks a bunch to everyone, and who knows? Maybe further down the line I'll come back here and start the project fresh.

Wow. Well, sorry to hear this, my friend. Good luck with your endeavors, and we're glad you liked the community. But we understand, life is more important than romhacking. So good luck, and thanks for your contributions to the community.

Years
  • Looks a very promising hack . Hope you finish this and less bugs (although it's part of the game, hehe). Good luck and hope you finish this as soon as possible . :P:P:)

Years
  • This looks so promising! I love these hacks in which there are features from gen IV~VI as an update of an older game! :3 I've never had the chance to play any DS/3DS games, so I really like these hacks ;_;

Whenever my classes are over I'll start playing. I hope you keep working on it, Projectwolfie. Good luck, and nice job ^-^

limanfsk

Legendary Dragon Trainer
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 19, 2015
    Awesome hack! Gen 5 moves made it really better!

One thing is — I think these Pokemon spites look not so well.
    Can you please make a second version of this hack, with original FireRed Pokemon spites?

Best regards, limanfsk ;)

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey guys, I love that people still like the hack. Thanks a bunch, really! :D

Since my comment was buried in the page before, I would like to restate that I can't do anymore improvements on this hack... however! Do not fret one bit newcomers! I had designed this from the start with this eventuality in mind, and made it completely able to be played through from the start! Essentially outside of a few bugfixes I could have done, this was done a long time ago. I'm also still available for questions if you would like to shoot me a PM, I'll get to you soon as I can. :D

If you wish for further improvements from this hack:
    1. MrDollSteak's rombase, which was used prominently in this hack, still lives. You can find it here, as well as a list with some bugs which should be added to my own: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326301

2. A looong time down the road (we're talking not weeks or even months here, I'm unsure), I would like to start this hack from scratch. Why scratch, you may ask? Here, let me tell you what I have in mind...

-Over the time of this hack, some improvements were made which I had taken note of and would learn from (for example G3HS is now a thing which affords me a new boon I will touch on further down), but I couldn't really implement properly. Also, since the start of this hack I have a different opinion on the Fairy-Type. I couldn't just add it with everything the rombase had with it this far in.

-Better documentation. This is a very hazardous flaw that I made which led to crap like the Pokemon Data List debacle on my part, as well as making "what other patches work" as nothing more than a guessing game. I apologize for that.

-Gen IV evolutions, let's face it this hack was pleading for them. Looking back the way I handled stats of certain Pokemon was poor. I could do this before, but my initial thought was that these Pokemon should have had these boosts from the start. This was silly as I was melding two movesets into one and some postgame Pokemon became a jumbled mess. As an additional point, with G3HS I can now more easily than before implement things such as having Eevee evolve into all forms in one hack, AND make it so no replacement is required in the Pokedex for those who want to hack in their favorite Hoenn 'mons (also, you can do this without an ini file now).

-Optional patches, for neat things like an RTC/Day and Night, EXP gained for catching, reusable TMs, disable overworld poison damage, or D/P style PokeMarts for those who want it (maybe if I'm lucky, day/night encounters will be more feasible?) Gen IV evos can be put in optional for those who want a pure 251 experience.

-I could possibly, if a more stable map editor is available at the time (A-Map 1.95 was my main reason for not doing this), expand the ROM. I could add some optional things which don't detract from the core experience this way like decent event maps for those Legendaries I added or something. I could also use this to expand the Pokedex further for some other entertaining optional patches... but that is a pipedream so far.

Last edited:

nemesish

Azure Trainer
    Years
  • First of all, thank you Projectwolfie for this hack/mod/bestthingever.

I have a question: Is it possible to trade normally from other hacks/canon games?
    Asking this because I want to have some Hoenn-mons and other not-yet-caught from my canon-FireRed Save.

jAvAcOlA

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2015
    The amount of times this game freezes up and causes you to lose your save progress has me seriously annoyed.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    First of all, thank you Projectwolfie for this hack/mod/bestthingever.

I have a question: Is it possible to trade normally from other hacks/canon games?
    Asking this because I want to have some Hoenn-mons and other not-yet-caught from my canon-FireRed Save.
    You're welcome! ^^

That's... a good question, I never got to test trading between these out. Most of the things pertaining to trading were never fooled with so that shouldn't be a problem, but the Pokemon themselves are the question. I would take caution and use 'mons with no new moves learned if I were you.

Also Hoenn I never touched on, so expect some TM weirdness but the movesets are there.

jAvAcOlA said:
    The amount of times this game freezes up and causes you to lose your save progress has me seriously annoyed.
    Did you download the version with the Caterpie fix?

Also, could you list what made the game crash? It could be something in the base I used and this kind of thing could be useful for that (as well as my later attempts). It's known that weather abilities actually cause a crash, basically the data for Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock had a bad run-in with the weather effects routine.

This is actually a problem with the legendary birds, because guess what one of their abilities is? I apologize for that. A lot.

Last edited:

jAvAcOlA

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2015
    Did you download the version with the Caterpie fix?

Also, could you list what made the game crash? It could be something in the base I used and this kind of thing could be useful for that (as well as my later attempts). It's known that weather abilities actually cause a crash, basically the data for Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock had a bad run-in with the weather effects routine.

This is actually a problem with the legendary birds, because guess what one of their abilities is? I apologize for that. A lot.

Yeah it's the Caterpie-fixed one.

Off the top of my head, I know two instances that would make the game crash every time were the Arboks on Victory Road and the Venonats on Route 15. It would freeze up when they used whatever their poison move is (they were both newer gen moves and I'm not familiar with those). I think Arbok's was called Acid Spray or something.

nemesish

Azure Trainer
    Years
  • Yeah it's the Caterpie-fixed one.

Off the top of my head, I know two instances that would make the game crash every time were the Arboks on Victory Road and the Venonats on Route 15. It would freeze up when they used whatever their poison move is (they were both newer gen moves and I'm not familiar with those). I think Arbok's was called Acid Spray or something.

Acid Spray is the one.
    Luckily savestates helped me overcoming that. (Savestate before/when the Arbok appears)

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    This is really odd because Acid Spray was working when I had last seen it used.

I have a hunch that this may be related to Gasrto Acid somehow though... I should check this out when I have the time.

jAvAcOlA

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2015
    Correction: Gastro Acid is indeed the one that freezes it up. Just happened again.

nemesish

Azure Trainer
    Years
  • Tested trading with a Canon-game (Emerald)
    Works!

But, as the GenII Time Capsule, no new moves.
    Just catch some low leveled Pidgeys @ route 1 and you're fine.

EDIT:
    Re-tested again.
    Trading back works too.

Now I have a Blaziken w/Hi Jump Kick (from FR251+'s Two Island tutor.) in Emerald.

EDIT2:
    Where are Pinsir and Mew?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Great Hack Fire Red is my favorite game and now is more hard but no crazy hard so Thank you.

P.S. @nemesish
    did you use a simple rom or a specific one ?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back