• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokemon gym enhancements!

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    I believe in the Manga, he was referenced to as a guy, and I still believe that, even if he does have female Pokemon. Although I don't really see why it'd matter either way.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    To follow on from Ooka's post, Bugsy was also a boy in the Anime, and really who thinks like that, if a person has female Pokemon they must be female, it's just stupid.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Go play through the first 4 gyms on any Pokemon game that isn't RBY, You'll see that's the general rule. Not without exceptions of course, but it is a game pattern.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2016
    You make it sound very reasonable...I was really surprised how girlish he looks this time around actually.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    To change a character's gender seems very unlikely. Even if he's girly, thats just his design. I'm pretty sure when they went they went in to design him, he was probably already decided to be a boy then.

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    haha, when i read that, i thought of one of those soap opera promo things- miltank and whitney hitting trouble in marrige, and bugsy may get a sex change- stay tuned
    ON TOPIC
    i always actually thought he/she/it/chriscroker was a girl until a couple weeks ago
    and i never knew that gender thing with the pokemon! wow, how "nifty" as my grandad says

Hassamu

Beamin'
    Years
    I was thinking this the other day when I saw the new art for him (her?).

Definately looks female now. :\

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    haha, when i read that, i thought of one of those soap opera promo things- miltank and whitney hitting trouble in marrige, and bugsy may get a sex change- stay tuned
    ON TOPIC
    i always actually thought he/she/it/chriscroker was a girl until a couple weeks ago
    and i never knew that gender thing with the pokemon! wow, how "nifty" as my grandad says

lol interesting way of putting it

but anyway on topic i never noticed the gender thing ill have to check that out, but bugsy is a guy in the manga anime and the official art of him thats on the demo box sorry

Crysta Blade

Shooty Refutey
    Years
    if a person has female Pokemon they must be female, it's just stupid.

Actually, if a Pokémon in the main games has a 50:50 gender ratio, it'll be the same as the gender of their Trainer. If they're something that has a different ratio, they'll default to the gender with the higher chance ie. any starters used by NPCs will be male, any Clefairy will be female, etc.

But why is it so? I'd say lazy programming, as this doesn't apply to Colosseum, XD and other non-main titles. Perhaps, in HGSS Bugsy's case, they put him under the list of female Trainers by accident. Or maybe it's a little joke from GF acknowledging how androgynous-looking he is.=P

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Actually, if a Pokémon in the main games has a 50:50 gender ratio, it'll be the same as the gender of their Trainer. If they're something that has a different ratio, they'll default to the gender with the higher chance ie. any starters used by NPCs will be male, any Clefairy will be female, etc.

But why is it so? I'd say lazy programming, as this doesn't apply to Colosseum, XD and other non-main titles. Perhaps, in HGSS Bugsy's case, they put him under the list of female Trainers by accident. Or maybe it's a little joke from GF acknowledging how androgynous-looking he is.=P

Interesting i must say theat is a bit silly not lazy but silly afterall they make these games from scratch :D but i actually didnt know that thanks for a good peice of info

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    i think they should just be a random gender just like wild pokemon

he had to have caught them so yeah they r just lazy sometimes :D

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I still consider Bugsy a confused person because he looks too feminine to me and also I never noticed or cared about the Pokemon's gender, just their attacks and levels

:t354:TG

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
    That'd be weird for the German version then xD Here he's called "Kai", a totally male name so they would even have to rename him/her/it. I guess he's still a boy but with a small female touch =)

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2009
    yeah for the longest time i thought bugsy was female.he is extrmely androgenous.li mean falkner is too but bugsy's face just looks really feminine

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    yeah for the longest time i thought bugsy was female.he is extrmely androgenous.li mean falkner is too but bugsy's face just looks really feminine

yeah, Falkner, for seom reason u can tell is a man- Bugsy looks like a girl scout

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
    Meh, I always knew he was a guy even when I was a little kid playing G/S/C. He just looks really girly and I'm sure a lot of old fans would get angry if they just all of a sudden changed his gender for no reason at all...

Captain Riolu

Ace Detective
    Years
    He may be a boy, but to me she will always be a girl.
    Agreed. I initially thought Bugsy was female, so it will always be female to me (even though I know in my head it is a male). But gender switching? That's unheard of. If Bugsy changes they need to compensate with another trainer.....sacrifice Wallace's manhood and make him a girl..... I don't know.

If they wouldnt alter the rosters of the gym leaders, I doubt they would alter their sex lol.
    Unfortunately, that is still possible.

Back