• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokemon HG/SS Soundtrack Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight Hero

I'm that guy
Years
  • The game OST's have just gotten better and better with time, but these tunes are a lot better than the ones we got in the fourth gen. I'd have to say the Kanto Wild Battle is by far my favorite.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2009
    Well, their exist 2 remixes of Ecruteak, the first actually used in Ecruteak, the second one used in blackthorn.

The OST I have isn't tagged, but I can guess that the one I've heard is Ecruteak.

I'm a little disappointed that All the WiFi and Battle Fronteir stuff is recycled from Platinum, but they also come with 8-Bit remixes as per the rest of the game, so it's not all laziness. Just partial. :P

Edit: Hiroshi, I got my OST from Galbadia Hotel. They have quite a few dudes who rip music from DS games regularly, so they got on this one pretty fast.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2009
    I'd link you, but I sorta can't at present. :V

Listening to more of it now, and although I still don't care much for the Classic versions of the songs, they've done a LOT of good stuff. The Ruins of Alph is more than just a 5 second loop, the Legendary Beasts all get a battle remix (Suicune Speed Core? But of course) and I'm presently listening to the Rival battle music on loop. It was good before, but they really did a great job of updating it.

Entire OST (with some unnamed mystery tracks) is 286 tracks long.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2009
    Hey, hey, let's not go overboard. Even out of Pokémon music as a whole, there are still a few RSE, DPPt, and PXD tracks that supercede. But this is some of the best (official) remixing work I've heard for Pokémon, totally.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2012
    I think this is the best soundtrack in the Pokemon series to date. The original soundtrack in GSC was the best and now this supercedes it with the great remixes and the original GB 8-bit tunes included to boot.

RSE and DPPt had a few great tunes (Slateport, Rustboro, Canalave, etc. comes to mind) but they were underwhelming as a soundtrack overall. IMO, GSC/HGSS has the best tunes, followed closely by RBY/FRLG, then RSE for a handful of truly great tunes, with DPPt coming in last with the least number of memorable tunes that sticks in your mind.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • The remix included with the new soundtrack and the inclusion of the original GB 8-bit tunes is what makes the game what it is. It has developed a great style in sound and made the game most memorable besides gameplay and plot-wise. I think what was done was made exceptionally well.

...and with Jake working on the high quality tracklist makes it all more worthwhile. :)

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • Game freak remembered the game select song! They really do listen. -^.^-

*Plays it on unlimited loop*

Also:

Classic mode 8-bit filter? Gamefreak, Nintendo, Creatures/APE Inc., who evers responsible, we love you! I'm going to use the 8-bit version for Red's battle, and the remix for Lance's!

Last edited:

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    is it just me, or does the soundtrack sound alot like R/S/E- i'm loving the music this way

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2009
    Can someone post the link of the Soundtrack on ffshrine? I'm not getting activated there and cannot view it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2009
    The games only been out for a day and people already seem to have everything for it!

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2009
    With the DS out for over 5 years, the tools for extracting data are easy to obtain and (sort of) easy to use. I've currently been toying around with a program that views the sound data of games. Did you know that both DPPt and HGSS have a similar archiving structure for sound effects? Every Pokémon cry has its own little folder.

The downside is that you'd end up extracting 493 folders to get hold of all the cries... Game Freak need to practice more efficient file architecture.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2009
    What? Are you implying that the games companies aren't thinking of the people who get kicks out of reverse-engineering their games? Prepostuous. :V

And yeah, some media is easier to extract than others. Sound files can be missing instruments, or end up jumpy. Sprites can have pallete errors, or just be so goddamn compressed, restructuring it again is an exercise in futility. DS Texture-ripping has become popular recently, but I wouldn't touch that scene with a 10 foot pole. Way to hardcore. And let's not even mention Model ripping. :x

Makes me thankful to the guys who go to the lengths of getting hold of stuff like that for us.

Hypergaming

Pikachu Palace!
    Years
  • What? Are you implying that the games companies aren't thinking of the people who get kicks out of reverse-engineering their games? Preposterous. :V.......

.......Makes me thankful to the guys who go to the lengths of getting hold of stuff like that for us.

Ha, Ha. Exactly. I would never touch that scene either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back