• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokemon HG/SS Soundtrack Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    Might as well chip in on this discussion.

Alright, for the most part, I like what they did with these. They are the best-sounding songs ever played on a video game, surpassed only by DN3D and Megaman X4 in my opinion. The champion music sounds godlike, the background song for the road to victory road was worthy of an award, and the Team Rocket battle theme was headbangable. A vast majority of the time, they used instruments that they were obviously trying to emulate in the Generation II games (A prime example being the chimes in the rival music).

However, there are some things that, if I had the power to change, I would change without a second thought.

Do you remember when you first fought a Kanto gym leader on GSC? Your first thoughts were "Holy smokes, that sounds awesome!". I'm afraid people new to HG/SS will say "I think I hear something awesome in the background!" For some reason beyond my understanding, they put various percussion and strange noises in the intro, as if they were trying to sweep the best part of the song under the rug. I would have toned these down quite a bit.

Remember those awesome chimes in the rival song I was talking about? Well, the worst part comes directly afterwards. All of the sudden, they start playing this vibraphone accompanied by incessant, unfitting drums. The best human-pronouncable words I can use to describe it is "babyish deedlybop ********". I would have rearanged the drum beats to something that fit the rythm of the song.

I'm sure the person who wrote the remixes would have changed this too, as it is something that annoys anybody who composes software-synthesized music. Sometimes notes that are close together not only change tone, but also timber. This is particularly noticable with the sitars used in various songs like the E4 music. Of course, that's a hardware problem and the scorer is absolutely powerless when it comes to resolving problems like that.

Anyway, I'm not going to go into all the details, but the only time I found I liked the originals better than the remixes was the Kanto leader music and the Goldenrod music. And before somebody like poliwagged comes in, I don't like them because they're older, I like them because they sound better. :)

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    I was underwhelmed by the sample quality and some of the instrumentation in the game, honestly.

I believe I've been spoiled by some of the examples of really great music the DS can output.

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    Anyway, I'm not going to go into all the details, but the only time I found I liked the originals better than the remixes was the Kanto leader music and the Goldenrod music. And before somebody like poliwagged comes in, I don't like them because they're older, I like them because they sound better. :)
    I feel honored.
    And the only time that really bothers me is when people preach "ORIGINALZ ALWAYZ BETTR LOL".

Alexia

lunar Trainer <3
    Years
  • I really like the remade music. My personal favourites were the Rival Battles, Team Rocket Battle theme and champion Lance/Red battle music. I also loved the idea of the GB player in the game <3

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • my most favorite soundtrack from the game it route 3,4,5 (and other routes with the same music) from kanto. I was fillippin out and stuff because in the original G/S they only used 2/3 of the whole theme

but now in HG/SS they used the full them! well you know what i mean. They did the FR/LG one (sorta) with the G/S twist in the beginning. Out of all the generations this route is in, i favor the HG/SS one. and im really impressed with all the other soundtracks, well besides goldenrod although its catchy after awhile.
    I really love the new route music as well. If you listen to those on the GB player it really sounds like they were on the original gamese.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Oh lord, the Safari Zone music with vocals is absolutely crazy!
    I guess this limited time DL song covers for the lack of remix tracks in the OST.

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Some of the tracks I've heard so far are beautiful.
    Downloading it right now.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Don't bump threads over a month old, please.

Might leave the thread open though as I imagine discussions on the music will increase pretty soon.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • Hmm...

You know, my favorite track of all of the Pokemon games was "Azalea Town"

The reason being is that it always hits me with a wave of nostalgia when I hear it. But I'm not quite sure I like the new remakes. I mean, it's nice how they kept the whole 8-bit music on the radio, but still it's just that...

My first game (Or at least the first that I played) was Pokemon Gold. That is my Pokemon game. In fact, it's one of the reasons I feel Awkward when I'm playing Koolboyman's "Pokemon Prism" because I'm so used to seeing the Tiles in a specific map organization. The other reason it makes me Awkward... well Koolboyman will have to message me for that.

The point is is that we all have a track we love, that makes us think when we listen to it "Pokemon"

For me that track is "Azalea Town"

I loved the old music, and I hope I can learn to love the new music.

I wanted to end this note on the fact that I once cried listening to Azalea Town. That's how much I love it.

I wish you all the best of luck,

-ChrisTom

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Please do not revive threads over a month old since its last post.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back