• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

If Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon Sapphire was remade, would you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 1,204 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    I'm not saying that the move to the 3DS should start with remakes, I'm saying that R/S/E remakes should come AFTER Gen 6 is introduced. Why should R/S/E remakes be in Gen 5? If they are hoping to end Gen 5 soon, why extend it by adding the remakes to it? I see no reason why we can't wait til Gen 6 for these remakes.

R/S remakes most likely are going to be in 5 gen, there are MANY hints to suggest it. By ending gen 5 soon I meant two main games in this year (B2/W2 and remakes) and 6 gen game for 3DS in 2013. This would make gen 5 shorter than gens 3 and 4.

Btw, this might be interesting:
    Bulbapedia said:
    Shizui speaks using a Kyushu dialect in the Japanese version.

We know that Kyushu = Hoenn in Pokemon world. Does that mean Shizui is from Hoenn? If so, we might meet him again in R/S remakes while he would be visiting his home region again.

Last edited:

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    R/S remakes most likely are going to be in 5 gen, there are MANY hints to suggest it. By ending gen 5 soon I meant two main games in this year (B2/W2 and remakes) and 6 gen game for 3DS in 2013. This would make gen 5 shorter than gens 3 and 4.

We know that Kyushu = Hoenn in Pokemon world. Does that mean Shizui is from Hoenn? If so, we might meet him again in R/S remakes while he would be visiting his home region again.

Other than that last part(which really you can't rely on all the way with the little BW2 info out anyways; it could refer to Hoenn coming, but at this time we have no way of knowing), how are there 'MANY' hints suggesting that they will arrive this gen? I may want them asap as much as the next person, and I'm not out on the possibility of them arriving at the end of the year, but even I have to admit that I don't see how they refer to them coming after BW2.

The hints could just mean that they are coming sometime in the future, where do you see anyone/anything ingame referring specifically to "omg hey, come visit Hoenn before Gen 5 is officially over =)"? I may want them now, but I also fail to see the many hints that give us a date to look at. About the only thing that could hint at a game arriving before the end of this Gen is the fact that they are releasing this pair so early in comparison to past main releases; although that could also be for other reasons.

blue

gucci
    Years
    The only real hints I could classify as actual points that relate to Ruby & Sapphire are the fact that they re-introduced Dive, the Shoal Salt & Shoal Shell and some music similarities, other than that references to Hoenn from characters in the game couldn't really be defined as hints.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    It's very likely R/S remakes will be part of 5 gen, meaning they will be next main games after B2/W2. B/W and B2/W2 are referring to R/S/E in the same way like D/P/Pt were referring to G/S/C. There were doubts about G/S remakes being done in 4 gen, just like there are now doubts about R/S remakes being done in 5 gen.

I'd say that most of Hoenn Pokemon sprites got completely redrawn in 5 gen to be used in R/S remakes. I think new addition in remakes will be new animations for Hoenn sprites, just like they added new animations for Unova sprites in B2/W2.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2021
    I think once B2W2 is released, we will know more about if the remakes are coming soon. If there are just subtle hints to Hoenn, then I guess it could come this gen or even the next gen. If there are lots of clear hints, then I think its likely we could get it this gen. But eh, even the in-game hints don't really reveal much I guess. The Kyushu and Shizui thing is interesting though, but we'll really have to wait for the game to see if any hints are really made clear.

Though, the fact they are releasing B2/W2 in June rather than September is random, and I think a very valid reason for that would be because they want to release the Hoenn remakes later in the year on their 10th anniversary. This would be an amazing year if so!

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    The only real hints I could classify as actual points that relate to Ruby & Sapphire are the fact that they re-introduced Dive, the Shoal Salt & Shoal Shell and some music similarities, other than that references to Hoenn from characters in the game couldn't really be defined as hints.

I agree, only those things could be potential hints, but even those have other purposes in the games. Though Dive is an HM again, remember that De Fog was one in D/P/Pt, while it was replaced for HG/SS. So the HMs don't have to be the same for every game in a generation. Also, many people are speculating that there could potentially be more use for Dive in B2/W2 going by designs of the new areas and the PCs' outfits appearing to have wetsuits under their clothes. Personally, I'm not sure what to think of that just yet.

Shoal Salt and Shoal Shell are more interesting to me, but according to the item description, there's someone in B/W that will give you a lot of money for them. This could have just been an alternate way to make some big bucks, while reusing an older item and harken back to Hoenn, but if anyone wanted to claim they found a hint, these items would be best for it.

Most of the hints you've suggested can be disputed though. You said the music was a hint, however, the Team Rocket challenge theme was completely redone for B/W, and though I can't remember who exactly has it (Battle Subway guy maybe?) but someone in B/W has the Final Battle theme from RBY's Champion battle against Blue. Not to mention Cynthia herself being in the game with her theme. The only music I heard in B/W that reminded me of another game were the themes for the Tao Dragons, which part of sounds like one of the Routes from RBY.

You also have to remember that the anime is supposed to move faster than the previous generation. According to what I read, Ash will challenge for his 7th badge next month. I've seen several people suggest that the 5th gen saga could be over this year, since there seems to be no sign of anything filler in the works. But anyway, I highly doubt that we'll see another main series game this year. Releasing games too close together can potentially affect sales. And look at what holding on to the Wii so long is doing to Nintendo, they're losing money. Everyone has a Wii now, so no one is buying them. They need to start pushing the new technology right away. They need to give Pokemon fans a reason to buy a 3DS. The AR Searcher is a step in that direction, but only a full main series game will convince the majority to buy one.

I don't really look into the Japanese side of the games that often (from the US), but that is an interesting find. He may have moved from Hoenn to start some kind of business in Unova in addition to becoming a Gym Leader. His design looks as if he might be a sort of fisherman to me. Though, this could just be a tribute to Hoenn and not a hint. (just because it's Hoenn related don't necessarily mean we're going back to Hoenn.) Like I said, many other points of the game were related to Sinnoh as well, such as obtaining the orbs for the Sinnoh dragons and Cynthia. The Team Rocket appears theme was strange because the only purpose it had was just to hear it. And while many more people did mention Hoenn in these games, other regions were mentioned just as often. I personally did not see the number of people mentioning Hoenn outnumber the people mentioning other regions.

I'd like to know if all the characters in Hoenn speak with the Kyushu dialect as well. If they do, there's a chance he could be originally from Hoenn.

It's very likely R/S remakes will be part of 5 gen, meaning they will be next main games after B2/W2. B/W and B2/W2 are referring to R/S/E in the same way like D/P/Pt were referring to G/S/C. There were doubts about G/S remakes being done in 4 gen, just like there are now doubts about R/S remakes being done in 5 gen.

I'd say that most of Hoenn Pokemon sprites got completely redrawn in 5 gen to be used in R/S remakes. I think new addition in remakes will be new animations for Hoenn sprites, just like they added new animations for Unova sprites in B2/W2.

I think the doubts about HG/SS were probably justified. It's not often that you hear of a company remaking old games on a regular basis. However, since they DID remake G/S/C, now everyone thinks it will be something that happens every generation. But here's the thing: now there will be a need to remake FR/LG because they are incompatible just like R/S/E. Should Game Freak remake those too? The more they remake old games, the more problems they're gonna have. Then what about next gen, would we see Sinnoh remakes? And though we are still in Gen 5 at the moment, Gen 7 would call for remakes of these games! The "remake cycle" needs to change, and I think the best way to do that is to wait on R/S/E remakes for now. Every generation doesn't need a remake. Plus, I think this generation is low on spinoff titles and console games. The next Battle Revolution-like game would keep us happy until gen six if it were to come out sometime maybe at the beginning of the year or so.

As for the sprites, if you look at Groudon and Rayquaza's sprites from Gen 4, you'll see why that changed them. They appeared to be in some sort of victory type pose, but the new animations give them a natural animated appearance that I don't think could have worked with their previous sprites. Also, Hoenn Pokemon weren't the only ones to get new sprites for their animations (one of my personal favorites Arcanine was upgraded too) so go by those alone. Even some Sinnoh Pokemon were updated despite having the most recent graphics.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Most of the hints you've suggested can be disputed though. You said the music was a hint, however, the Team Rocket challenge theme was completely redone for B/W, and though I can't remember who exactly has it (Battle Subway guy maybe?) but someone in B/W has the Final Battle theme from RBY's Champion battle against Blue. Not to mention Cynthia herself being in the game with her theme. The only music I heard in B/W that reminded me of another game were the themes for the Tao Dragons, which part of sounds like one of the Routes from RBY.

Team Rocket music is more like Easter Egg from game creators which can be heard in GF office. Blue's theme is used for Nintendo tournaments, it's not part of single player game and not everyone are able to even hear that track in game. Also, there's nothing special about Cynthia's theme being in game because you can battle her. All those tracks sound almost the same like their originals because they are meant to be only callbacks to older games.

I suggested Unova's Elite Four and Gym leaders themes to be hints because Unova and Hoenn are the only regions so far to have different themes for Elite Four and Gym Leaders. More of that, Unova's E4 sounds partially similar to Hoenn's E4. Gym Leader themes are hints because you need to listen to them carefully to catch similarities, like I did in one of previous posts. It's pretty the same like D/P/Pt's Canalave City sounds like G/S/C's ending when you listen to both carefully. Those tracks are hints because regular player probably won't hear their resemblances during the game.

You also have to remember that the anime is supposed to move faster than the previous generation. According to what I read, Ash will challenge for his 7th badge next month. I've seen several people suggest that the 5th gen saga could be over this year, since there seems to be no sign of anything filler in the works. But anyway, I highly doubt that we'll see another main series game this year. Releasing games too close together can potentially affect sales. And look at what holding on to the Wii so long is doing to Nintendo, they're losing money. Everyone has a Wii now, so no one is buying them. They need to start pushing the new technology right away. They need to give Pokemon fans a reason to buy a 3DS. The AR Searcher is a step in that direction, but only a full main series game will convince the majority to buy one.

I don't think they will lose money with releasing two main series games in one year because they are releasing two sequels instead of one third game. Two sequels will make them much more money than one regular third version and that would cover potential loss of money of two close main games' releases in one year.

Gen 5 anime is flowing faster that gen 4 but it can be carried over for another year because new Gym Leaders will appear, post-game Unova and probably Battle Frontier. R/S remakes can be released during that time because everything about Hoenn was made in anime, so R/S remakes shouldn't be featured in anime, maybe at least some mentions about Hoenn.

As for the sprites, if you look at Groudon and Rayquaza's sprites from Gen 4, you'll see why that changed them. They appeared to be in some sort of victory type pose, but the new animations give them a natural animated appearance that I don't think could have worked with their previous sprites. Also, Hoenn Pokemon weren't the only ones to get new sprites for their animations (one of my personal favorites Arcanine was upgraded too) so go by those alone. Even some Sinnoh Pokemon were updated despite having the most recent graphics.

Yes, some Pokemon from other regions got their sprites completely redrawn, but not as much as Hoenn Pokemon - almost all of those ones got completely new sprites which can be used in R/S remakes with addition of new animations to make them look even more refreshed.
    After seeing Oshawott and Snivy in B2/W2 gameplay, I think GF changed style of upgrading sprites in 5 gen. Instead of having new poses, there are new animations. For example, I think in R/S remakes Swampert will be rising it's upper body and hands, Blaziken will be doing jump kicks.

Last edited:

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014

That all depends on which characters you are talking about; some are obviously hinting at remakes, like how during that one event in HGSS, Steven mentions about "...our fun will have to wait for the right time" before he walks off. Stuff like the people in Undella Town could just be having to do with the feel of the area. Although....Dive itself being 'in that area' could be one

Team Rocket music is more like Easter Egg from game creators which can be heard in GF office. Blue's theme is used for Nintendo tournaments, it's not part of single player game and not everyone are able to even hear that track in game. Also, there's nothing special about Cynthia's theme being in game because you can battle her. All those tracks sound almost the same like their originals because they are meant to be only callbacks to older games.

I suggested Unova's Elite Four and Gym leaders themes to be hints because Unova and Hoenn are the only regions so far to have different themes for Elite Four and Gym Leaders. More of that, Unova's E4 sounds partially similar to Hoenn's E4. Gym Leader themes are hints because you need to listen to them carefully to catch similarities, like I did in one of previous posts. It's pretty the same like D/P/Pt's Canalave City sounds like G/S/C's ending when you listen to both carefully. Those tracks are hints because regular player probably won't hear their resemblances during the game.

I'm not going to doubt music having a part somewhat as there are several remixes ingame; along with others like the Lilcove City remix in your villa in Platinum(which is really nice btw, if you haven't gotten to hear it). It's almost as if they are putting them in areas where we are at a point of not exactly paying attention, in hopes of people to think about it. That's where a lot of the fun in speculation comes in. I'm on the train to "they are hiding some hints"-opolis, too. Other stuff could be added as just references, but some could be to throw us off. The real hints are hidden amongst them all.

Gen 5 anime is flowing faster that gen 4 but it can be carried over for another year because new Gym Leaders will appear, post-game Unova and probably Battle Frontier. R/S remakes can be released during that time because everything about Hoenn was made in anime, so R/S remakes shouldn't be featured in anime, maybe at least some mentions about Hoenn.

Well apparently Dawn left to do contests in Hoenn, like May did with Johto, so that 'referring back to said region' could be used I guess.

Yes, some Pokemon from other regions got their sprites completely redrawn, but not as much as Hoenn Pokemon - almost all of those ones got completely new sprites which can be used in R/S remakes with addition of new animations to make them look even more refreshed.
    After seeing Oshawott and Snivy in B2/W2 gameplay, I think GF changed style of upgrading sprites in 5 gen. Instead of having new poses, there are new animations. For example, I think in R/S remakes Swampert will be rising it's upper body and hands, Blaziken will be doing jump kicks.

The thing about that is why they would reuse 'old sprites' in a 'new remake'. If anything, they should have their own new poses and what not.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2012
    why does my ashgray can't save the game , it says : Save Error , please exchange the backup memory

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    I'm not going to doubt music having a part somewhat as there are several remixes ingame; along with others like the Lilcove City remix in your villa in Platinum(which is really nice btw, if you haven't gotten to hear it). It's almost as if they are putting them in areas where we are at a point of not exactly paying attention, in hopes of people to think about it. That's where a lot of the fun in speculation comes in. I'm on the train to "they are hiding some hints"-opolis, too. Other stuff could be added as just references, but some could be to throw us off. The real hints are hidden amongst them all.

I think that Lilycove music in Villa is just another callback, not a hint to anything, because it's indicated that previous owner of Villa was Steven, so it's natural they put Hoenn music in that place.

Imo the real hints are Hoenn's and Unova's Gym Leader themes' similarities because they don't sound too obviously similar and need attention to be considered as similar themes. Like I said before, the same goes for Canalave City being not too obviously similar to G/S/C ending and Sinnoh Gym Leader/E4 being not too obviously similar to Lighthouse/Mt. Silver.
    Imo any other themes which sound similar are just callbacks to previous games because they are basically the same themes and sound too much obviously similar.

The thing about that is why they would reuse 'old sprites' in a 'new remake'. If anything, they should have their own new poses and what not.

I think some Hoenn Pokemon would get new poses in remakes, especially the ones which can be found in B/W because most of those ones got sprites directly imported from gen 4. Maybe you're right all Hoenn Pokemon will get new poses, but I still would say most of them will get old poses with new animations because their poses are fine as they are now in B/W (especially starters).

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I think that Lilycove music in Villa is just another callback, not a hint to anything, because it's indicated that previous owner of Villa was Steven, so it's natural they put Hoenn music in that place.

Imo the real hints are Hoenn's and Unova's Gym Leader themes' similarities because they don't sound too obviously similar and need attention to be considered as similar themes. Like I said before, the same goes for Canalave City being not too obviously similar to G/S/C ending and Sinnoh Gym Leader/E4 being not too obviously similar to Lighthouse/Mt. Silver.
    Imo any other themes which sound similar are just callbacks to previous games because they are basically the same themes and sound too much obviously similar.

I just see the Unova E4, gym, whatever themes are just pure coincidence, like how you see the Lilycove one as more of a callback than anything. I hated the E4 theme in BW, in all honesty(which is what I think you are referring to actually? Recalled you mentioning it before); even if it sounds similiar, I see it as just that, a similiarity, nothing 'hidden'.

I know it might just be a callback theme, but I REALLY like the remix of Lilycove from your Pt villa and would've looked forward to it as being an official one(or something close); I guess that could be why I looked to it the way I did. After HGSS were announced, I was looking around and heard someone bring that theme up again, that theme was one of the first things that got me into doing all this thinking about RSE being remade.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    I just see the Unova E4, gym, whatever themes are just pure coincidence, like how you see the Lilycove one as more of a callback than anything. I hated the E4 theme in BW, in all honesty(which is what I think you are referring to actually? Recalled you mentioning it before); even if it sounds similiar, I see it as just that, a similiarity, nothing 'hidden'.

Gym Leader themes are imo very solid hints because they are composed in identical style and that can't be coincidence because it's proof that Hoenn and Unova have similar music style, which is important in remaking R/S to 5 gen. Route 4 and Mistralton City also have very similar style to Hoenn's music because trumpets are used a lot in those themes.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Gym Leader themes are imo very solid hints because they are composed in identical style and that can't be coincidence because it's proof that Hoenn and Unova have similar music style, which is important in remaking R/S to 5 gen. Route 4 and Mistralton City also have very similar style to Hoenn's music because trumpets are used a lot in those themes.

The only thing that comes remotely close, music wise, is the route 9 store remix of Hoenn's stores and some others I can't think of offhand(but will add when I remember).

The 'similiar' music styles could just be the regions having similiar tastes, not because they 'have to be' together. Unless BW2 builds upon this stuff, I still see the others as just coincidence.

By no means am I shooting off remakes this gen entirely, I just think it'd be a waste to put them on the DS. Like has been said before, a lot of it will have to do with when exactly they started work on them.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    The 'similiar' music styles could just be the regions having similiar tastes, not because they 'have to be' together. Unless BW2 builds upon this stuff, I still see the others as just coincidence.

I don't think music similarities are coincidences because it's the same like both Hoenn and Unova have similar region designs. Both have great variety of environments - from desert lands to dive areas (it looks like oceanic areas are going to be expanded even more in B2/W2). Would you call those design similarities coincidences too?

Most likely Hoenn and Unova are going to be together in one generation. They resemble each other just like Johto/Kanto and Sinnoh in gen 4. Johto/Kanto is divided in half by mountains just like Sinnoh is. Also, both Johto and Sinnoh are very traditional regions full of mysteries and both contain ruins where Unown can be found. Before release of HG/SS it could be said those similarities are coincidences but after release of HG/SS it proven they're not coincidences (Arceus event). More of that, there are those music similarities between Johto and Sinnoh, which I posted about before.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I don't think music similarities are coincidences because it's the same like both Hoenn and Unova have similar region designs. Both have great variety of environments - from desert lands to dive areas (it looks like oceanic areas are going to be expanded even more in B2/W2). Would you call those design similarities coincidences too?

Most likely Hoenn and Unova are going to be together in one generation. They resemble each other just like Johto/Kanto and Sinnoh in gen 4. Johto/Kanto is divided in half by mountains just like Sinnoh is. Also, both Johto and Sinnoh are very traditional regions full of mysteries and both contain ruins where Unown can be found. Before release of HG/SS it could be said those similarities are coincidences but after release of HG/SS it proven they're not coincidences (Arceus event). More of that, there are those music similarities between Johto and Sinnoh, which I posted about before.

I'll admit they have more in common when you look at things closely, but I'm still not counting on that being any indication of the remakes being in this gen as well, until we get some official confirmation at least.

Don't take it the wrong way, I'm just trying to remain in denial about the possibility of them being put to shame by being on the DS. Either way, I'll admit that I love the region enough(arguably my favorite) to buy the remakes no matter what anyway, just still think they deserve better.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013

Since Kanto was remade in Gen 3, how are Kanto and Hoenn alike? Kanto and Hoenn would actually be more alike then Hoenn and Unova. Hoenn has a great deal of water, and Kanto has a huge surfing area as well between Cinnabar and Fuchsia. Unova is vastly land, so those regions are not alike. As well as Sinnoh is 1 region, while Johto and Kanto are 2 separate regions only neighboring each other on the same land mass. While I do think that Sinnoh could possibly have been inspired from the Johto/Kanto connection to make 1 region, they would not have designed that region just to serve as a hint for HG/SS. And many people have complained about Unova not having enough places to use Surf or Dive, so no, Unova is not like Hoenn.

I really don't see how the music is similar enough to say "It's a hint!" Sinnoh also changed the music for the Elite 4, though it was basically the same track, just edited, but it was a different version for the Elite 4 than the Gym Leaders. It appears GF has decided in recent years that the Elite 4 should have their own theme.

Let me ask you this: Why do you think that R/S/E remakes HAVE to come this generation and on the DS? As I type this, I just can't come up with a good enough reason as to say the remakes would benefit more from a dying console than a newer one. Sales of the 3DS are beating the Vita, so I assume that means more people are finally starting to make the change. So there ARE people out there with a 3DS who will buy a 3DS Pokemon game. And you can bet that all the people without a 3DS when Gen 6 is announced will go out and get one just for the Pokemon games. So it will be good for sales. Think about it this way: the sale of one 3DS is equal to 3 or 4 Pokemon games, so add that to the buyers also buying a Pokemon game and add more for the peeps that by both versions. Everyone having a DS isn't good news for GF or Nintendo, as can be seen in Nintendo's loss in Wii sales because everyone has one now.

All that aside, I still don't think it will happen this Gen because the original R/S/E GBA games are still compatible with B/W and B2/W2's system: the DS (not the DS Lite or DSi). GF isn't going to say "We need remakes since some people bought a DS Lite or DSi), that's just not enough of a reason.

I think that Gen 5 is a great Gen on its own as it is with the first ever true sequels. We don't need another Unova game or remakes this Gen, as I believe not EVERY Gen needs remakes to be a good, satisfying Gen. I think B2/W2 will be the best way to end Pokemon's main series on the DS and allow GF to make the jump to the 3DS for Gen 6. Then, with all the new features and updates, that's when I'd like to see Hoenn remade. I truly think it would be worth the wait to skip remakes this Gen and save them for Gen 6. If not, we could see Gen 4 remade for Gen 6 instead, which I'm not sure if anyone has given thought to that. The "remake tradition" just needs to end, for the better of the franchise. That way, GF can look to the future without having to constantly look back and depend on the past so much.

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2021
    I'm pretty sure the only way the remakes will come this gen is if Gamefreak was already developing them for the DS BEFORE they got the 3DS development kit from Nintendo. If not, then I'm sure they will make it for the 3DS as I don't see them releasing another main game on the DS after B2/W2.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Since Kanto was remade in Gen 3, how are Kanto and Hoenn alike? Kanto and Hoenn would actually be more alike then Hoenn and Unova. Hoenn has a great deal of water, and Kanto has a huge surfing area as well between Cinnabar and Fuchsia. Unova is vastly land, so those regions are not alike. As well as Sinnoh is 1 region, while Johto and Kanto are 2 separate regions only neighboring each other on the same land mass. While I do think that Sinnoh could possibly have been inspired from the Johto/Kanto connection to make 1 region, they would not have designed that region just to serve as a hint for HG/SS. And many people have complained about Unova not having enough places to use Surf or Dive, so no, Unova is not like Hoenn.

Kanto is not like Hoenn. That's why I think FR/LG were so simplified and released so quickly because Kanto would never be so advanced in region features like Hoenn. I think the real style of making remakes started in gen 4 because Johto and Sinnoh actually resemble each other, the same like Hoenn and Unova. It doesn't really matter that Unova hasn't so much water like Hoenn - both regions make use of Dive as HM and that's what really matter. Interesting thing is that water theme in Unova is going to be expanded in B2/W2 and that's going to make Unova look even more like Hoenn.

I really don't see how the music is similar enough to say "It's a hint!" Sinnoh also changed the music for the Elite 4, though it was basically the same track, just edited, but it was a different version for the Elite 4 than the Gym Leaders. It appears GF has decided in recent years that the Elite 4 should have their own theme.

Isn't that suspicious they made totally different themes for Gym Leaders and Elite 4 only for R/S/E and B/W? Why did GF do that?
    Also, like I said before, Gym Leaders themes for Hoenn and Unova don't sound similar if someone doesn't compare them carefully. I did compare them and their compositions are very much alike. Why did GF focused so much on Hoenn's Gym Leader theme while making Unova's Gym Leader theme? They could focus on any other region. It's the same like GF focused on Johto's music while making two of Sinnoh's music tracks. It's because from gen 4 they started to focus on previous regions they plan to remake in current generation.

Let me ask you this: Why do you think that R/S/E remakes HAVE to come this generation and on the DS? As I type this, I just can't come up with a good enough reason as to say the remakes would benefit more from a dying console than a newer one. Sales of the 3DS are beating the Vita, so I assume that means more people are finally starting to make the change. So there ARE people out there with a 3DS who will buy a 3DS Pokemon game. And you can bet that all the people without a 3DS when Gen 6 is announced will go out and get one just for the Pokemon games. So it will be good for sales. Think about it this way: the sale of one 3DS is equal to 3 or 4 Pokemon games, so add that to the buyers also buying a Pokemon game and add more for the peeps that by both versions. Everyone having a DS isn't good news for GF or Nintendo, as can be seen in Nintendo's loss in Wii sales because everyone has one now.

All that aside, I still don't think it will happen this Gen because the original R/S/E GBA games are still compatible with B/W and B2/W2's system: the DS (not the DS Lite or DSi). GF isn't going to say "We need remakes since some people bought a DS Lite or DSi), that's just not enough of a reason.

To make it clear - DSi and newer models are recommended platforms for B/W, not original DS and DS lite because of full usage of Xtransceiver, making use of camera in DSi. That makes gen 5 looking like being made especially for DSi, not for DS and DS lite. Gen 4 was DS generation, gen 5 is DSi generation. Seeing how gen 5 is DSi generation it makes sense to make R/S remakes in gen 5 because DSi and newer models don't have GBA slot. That's one of reasons why I think R/S remakes should be done in gen 5.

Another reason is return of Dive as HM. Thanks to that, R/S remakes make very much sense to be done in gen 5. It's similar how visible day/night system returned in gen 4, making it possible to make G/S remakes in gen 4.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Kanto is not like Hoenn. That's why I think FR/LG were so simplified and released so quickly because Kanto would never be so advanced in region features like Hoenn. I think the real style of making remakes started in gen 4 because Johto and Sinnoh actually resemble each other, the same like Hoenn and Unova. It doesn't really matter that Unova hasn't so much water like Hoenn - both regions make use of Dive as HM and that's what really matter. Interesting thing is that water theme in Unova is going to be expanded in B2/W2 and that's going to make Unova look even more like Hoenn.

Just because there's a water gym? Take a look at the map again. I have yet to see a vast improvement in 'water routes', as of yet anyways.

Isn't that suspicious they made totally different themes for Gym Leaders and Elite 4 only for R/S/E and B/W? Why did GF do that?
    Also, like I said before, Gym Leaders themes for Hoenn and Unova don't sound similar if someone doesn't compare them carefully. I did compare them and their compositions are very much alike. Why did GF focused so much on Hoenn's Gym Leader theme while making Unova's Gym Leader theme? They could focus on any other region. It's the same like GF focused on Johto's music while making two of Sinnoh's music tracks. It's because from gen 4 they started to focus on previous regions they plan to remake in current generation.

I think what he was trying to say is...why would they base a whole NEW region as one big hint for remakes? You're using the music and almost everything about the region as if it's a big arrow-like landmass pointing at Hoenn. That would almost defeat the purpose in having a new region to begin with, it takes the spotlight off itself(in favor of what it shouldn't be on) when it in fact should be there, on itself.

To make it clear - DSi and newer models are recommended platforms for B/W, not original DS and DS lite because of full usage of Xtransceiver, making use of camera in DSi. That makes gen 5 looking like being made especially for DSi, not for DS and DS lite. Gen 4 was DS generation, gen 5 is DSi generation. Seeing how gen 5 is DSi generation it makes sense to make R/S remakes in gen 5 because DSi and newer models don't have GBA slot. That's one of reasons why I think R/S remakes should be done in gen 5.

Another reason is return of Dive as HM. Thanks to that, R/S remakes make very much sense to be done in gen 5. It's similar how visible day/night system returned in gen 4, making it possible to make G/S remakes in gen 4.

Gen 5 may be the 'Dsi' gen, but that doesn't have a big 'remake' stamped on it.

Dive may be hinting at the remakes, but we have no specific time to look at, as they can pop up anytime. The only thing we have atm that would be in favor of them popping up at the end of this gen is the fact that BW2 are being released a bit earlier than the usual main games; even then, it could be to end this gen as soon as they can.

I want to be in the 'have them asap' boat as well, but I think the 3DS could do them a lot more justice.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Just because there's a water gym? Take a look at the map again. I have yet to see a vast improvement in 'water routes', as of yet anyways.

There will be expansion of water theme in B2/W2. So far we know that protagonists are wearing swimsuits, there's underwater tunnel, water gym. Also, there probably will be tropical beach town in Unova just like in Hoenn...

I think what he was trying to say is...why would they base a whole NEW region as one big hint for remakes? You're using the music and almost everything about the region as if it's a big arrow-like landmass pointing at Hoenn. That would almost defeat the purpose in having a new region to begin with, it takes the spotlight off itself(in favor of what it shouldn't be on) when it in fact should be there, on itself.

I didn't say Unova was made only to be hint for remakes. I'm only pointing out its similarities to Hoenn because there are actual similarities.

I thought now that there is problem with Hoenn for 3DS... Full 3d game for 3DS would require large region with cities full of buildings which would actually look like real cities. B/W started it with having Castelia being actually big, but that's only one city.
    Honestly, is Hoenn really complex enough to be made for 3DS? It doesn't have large cities, bridges, etc. Imo Hoenn wouldn't make use of 3DS graphics like new, large region would do. I think Hoenn would look perfectly fine in B/W and B2/W2 engine. I'd prefer to save 3DS for new large region, designed for making use of 3DS' potential. Look at this from developers' point of view. Why would they make full 3d engine for region which doesn't really have anything worth rendering to full 3d? Hoenn doesn't even have a single city which is even close to size of Castelia.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back