• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

If Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon Sapphire was remade, would you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 1,204 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Constant listening to HG/SS's soundtrack will leave you knowing they won't be similar. They weren't above changing songs to a large extent in the new games. Giving them new samples won't make them sound new enough.

That's true, music must be changed much more than only giving them new soundfont. New tracks must be focused more on the atmosphere of places. For example in G/S/C Ecruteak and Cianwood have the same music, but in HG/SS they are very different from each other.

Years
    I think 2012 could be about time to see Hoenn in updated graphics.

This is the 10th Anniversary of R/S's Japanese release remember.

I'm actually showcasing a Hoenn Pokemon in my avatar and signature at the moment.

If there were a R/S remake, I'd definitely buy it!

Ruby was the first main series Pokemon game I ever played, and the Pokemon in my avatar/signature there was on my main team when I was playing!

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    That's true, music must be changed much more than only giving them new soundfont. New tracks must be focused more on the atmosphere of places. For example in G/S/C Ecruteak and Cianwood have the same music, but in HG/SS they are very different from each other.

That's not exactly what he was getting at. GBA music was still limited by small number of instruments playing at once backed up by some boops and beeps that 90% of the time were playing bass and cymbal instruments. You can't really do chords on the GBA, for example unless you spend valuable cartridge space and memory on pre-recorded chord samples.

The cartoon soundtracks have some examples of what rearranged themes would sound like without the limitations of computer music, even when they start to sound really cheap and hastily done.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
    I'm more seeing a third game this year as many signs seem to be pointing that way and it also seems more plausible and fitting to have one this year but that doesn't rule out a Ruby and Sapphire remake for 2013... right?

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    So if it's true that next games are going to be 3DS only I think R/S remakes should be first. When Nintendo releases games for new console, they always release those games which are more "fresh" (they were always completely new games, but this time it's impossible).
    I don't see why they need to rush getting RS on 3DS when DS was out for 5 years before HGSS was released. 3DS hasn't even been out a year, so I don't see what the rush to get the next big pokemon game out on 3DS is for. There is plenty of time for them to get it out and still be fresh. And my guess is they will do 3rd game for DS and and RS remake for 3DS. So that way they can get Third game out first then RS remake.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    I don't see why they need to rush getting RS on 3DS when DS was out for 5 years before HGSS was released. 3DS hasn't even been out a year, so I don't see what the rush to get the next big pokemon game out on 3DS is for. There is plenty of time for them to get it out and still be fresh. And my guess is they will do 3rd game for DS and and RS remake for 3DS. So that way they can get Third game out first then RS remake.

At first I thought all 5 gen games should be on DS to not split them between two consoles. But now I know that they only care about 3DS selling.

So if 5 gen games are going to be split it would be the best to release both R/S remakes and Grey for 3DS because they all deserve to be for the same console due to fact that they will be equally great games. They are actually the games which most players will be keeping returning to, while B/W will be rather forgotten, so that's why all future games should be for 3DS.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Not liking all this talk about releasing for the 3DS. I don't have one. ._.

Nintendo used games for 3DS.

It's super effective!

Player is confused. Player buys 3DS due to confusion.

Nintendo used money drain.

It's super effective!

blue

gucci
    Years
    Considering that R/S remakes will be released at least a year after the Nintendo 3DS, it's most likely it will be for that platform. It would be a real sales booster for both Pokémon and the 3DS.

Pharetra

zzzz
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2024
    I'm not sure any more if there will be a remake at all. I came to this conclusion after looking at the "time line" of Pokemon games:
    Let's say Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen started in the year 0.

Year 0: Red defeats Team Rocket and becomes champion of Kanto.
    Brendan defeated Team Magma and Aqua and became champion of Hoenn.

Year 3: Gold defeated the revived Team Rocket and became champion of Johto (and Kanto?).
    Lucas defeated Team Galactic and became champion of Sinnoh.

Games in the same generation are set at the same time, as it's possible to link to each other without the use of special "things", like Pal Park in Gen IV and the PokeTransfer in Gen V.

And now, where is Black and White to be placed? To be honest, I've no idea. If Ruby and Sapphire would be remade, Black and White should be 3 years before Diamond, Pearl and Platinum right? Wrong. In Undella Town, Cynthia mentions Lucas after the player has beaten her. So Black and White should be after Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heartgold and Soulsilver.
    And then it'd be unlikely to have a remake of Ruby and Sapphire in the same generation.

Anyway, I am confused.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    They're not going to give a second though to the "timeline" of a Pokémon game. People overthink the chronological order of games way too much when GSC was the only one to have a connection to the previous game that was explicit and actually meant something important.

Last edited:

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    They're not going to give a second though to the "timeline" of a Pokémon game. People overthink the chronological order of games way too much when GSC was the only one to have a connection to the previous game that was explicit and actually meant something important.

Exactly, people take this timeline stuff way too seriously. How does the same person/people accomplish the 'exact' same thing years later(ex: Do you really think Brendan/May would beat Team Magma/Aqua many years later, not aging and being in the same situations?).

Remakes are not entirely new adventures, they just would simply 'replace' the older versions "in the timeline(so to say)" with up-to-date mechanics and the like.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Remakes are not entirely new adventures, they just would simply 'replace' the older versions "in the timeline(so to say)" with up-to-date mechanics and the like.
    This would pretty much sum up the thought process with the Remakes. They are pretty much polished up modernized versions of the previous games. With several changes implemented into them. If they wanted to work in the timeline in they would do it, if it really mattered a lot. They aren't going to pass up a change of this huge money making game. Not to mention a lot of peoples RS internal battery dead so they may need a new game anyways and some people have never even played RSE in the first place so this is the perfect way to get them into those games.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Except until now, the remakes and the game generation the remakes were made with were in the same timeline. Events of Red/Blue/Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald being at the same time due to references within Ruby/Sapphire/FireRed/LeafGreen, and Gold/Silver/Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Being at the same time from references in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/and after story relation with Cyrus in HG/SS

Black and White are a few years after both separating it from the others timeline wise and makes no sense for a remake to be tied with them since Black and White are in the future. There are a good many references to back this up, Plasma members knowing about the events of the other Region's bad guy teams as well as HG/SS's word jumbled Team Rocket Member being back home long after the events of Gold and Silver's story.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Except until now, the remakes and the game generation the remakes were made with were in the same timeline. Events of Red/Blue/Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald being at the same time due to references within Ruby/Sapphire/FireRed/LeafGreen, and Gold/Silver/Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Being at the same time from references in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/and after story relation with Cyrus in HG/SS

Black and White are a few years after both separating it from the others timeline wise and makes no sense for a remake to be tied with them since Black and White are in the future. There are a good many references to back this up, Plasma members knowing about the events of the other Region's bad guy teams as well as HG/SS's word jumbled Team Rocket Member being back home long after the events of Gold and Silver's story.

You do realize that the 'timeline' is mostly from speculation and what the fanbase makes of it, don't you? The game developers do not have to go by it if they choose not to(and at this point, I doubt it is a priority for them).

Btw, going by your use of game references, what do you make out of what Steven says during that event dealing with Latios/as in HGSS, where he says something along the lines "our fun will have to wait for the right time"? Do you think they are going to pass up making good money off of Hoenn remakes just to go along with some (unofficial) "timeline"? Even then, remakes 'replace' the older versions in the "timeline" with modernized mechanics and such, so they don't even have to have their own place.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    The games have cameos and call-backs to characters and situations from previous game but they don't really express anything important to the story and events of the game, except for how GSC are a direct continuation of the events that occurred in RBG. They can change these things or add more references to games old and new and it won't cause any problems.

Really, even if they came out and admitted the events of game X happen before the events of game Y in the same generation, this doesn't have to be a problem because the games are separate stories that revolve around different people and different Pokémon.

Even with battling / trading Pokémon, transfer mechanics like the Time Machine and Pal Park are used as a way to dress up the differences between generations of games on different engines, not an in-game timeline. A player from a remade Ruby/Sapphire can trade with a player from Black/White because they've never treated it as something that makes sense from within the confines of the 'game universe' - you're talking to your identical clones from another universe and with the advent of the GTS, dealing with thousands of copies of supposedly "unique" Pokémon. - scratch that, they've never taken themselves so seriously as to treat you trading identical Pokémon with your clones from another world as anything more than "This is a video game. Things will occur that would be strange in real life due to the nature of millions of people playing the same video game".

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    I know some of you don't like basing on what radnom npc say, but in B/W there are some rumors about Team Rocket and Galactic, but (I'm not sure about that, correct me if I'm wrong) there is nothing about Aqua/Magma. So it's possible that B/W and R/S/E take place at similar time.

Also in B/W there is former Team Rocket's grunt (the one from G/S/C and HG/SS, he speaks very incorrect language). He lives in Iccirus City now and has a family. He says that he returned here after Team Rocket got destroyed.

So I think there is some timeline in games however it means nothing in releasing order.

Probably you already know that but in HG/SS Game Freak's building the director says that they are remaking an old game which are R/S/E for sure.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back