• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

If Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon Sapphire was remade, would you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 1,204 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Where have you been? You do encounter the legendaries during the story, just not 'by yourself'. Also facing both teams, the colossal battle, etc. is what made Emerald...well Emerald. Taking those out of the plot would indeed keep true to the original Ruby/Sapphire, but you honestly think they'd scrap Emerald completely in the remakes? I highly doubt that, tbh. The BF is just the BF btw, I'm talking storyline.

I didn't say anything about scraping Emerald's storyline.
    I said that Groudon or Kyogre extension should be after Weather Crisis - the one from Emerald. After Rayquaza calms down both Groudon and Kyogre, everything would seem to be fine until player is informed that Maxie/Archie tries again to control Groudon/Kyogre, causing drought/heavy rain. At this point player would battle with Groudon/Kyogre, making encounter with one of legendaries. That encounter with one legendary would event that was missing in Emerald's storyline.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I didn't say anything about scraping Emerald's storyline.
    I said that Groudon or Kyogre extension should be after Weather Crisis - the one from Emerald. After Rayquaza calms down both Groudon and Kyogre, everything would seem to be fine until player is informed that Maxie/Archie tries again to control Groudon/Kyogre, causing drought/heavy rain. At this point player would battle with Groudon/Kyogre, making encounter with one of legendaries. That encounter with one legendary would event that was missing in Emerald's storyline.

Just seemed very different from the way you posted that originally. By 'after the weather crisis' it seemed like you were referring to when said game's mascot was calmed down(as in just that one arises and whatever), so wasn't sure where the heck Emerald fit into your plot, but I see it now.

The way you worded the crisis was a little vague; Would have helped if you mentioned Groudon and Kyogre's battle or something along that line, haha. My apologies.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I just wish they add the a similar user interface if not exactly the same user interface as HGSS into the game where you don't need to press the the "X" button so many times.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I just wish they add the a similar user interface if not exactly the same user interface as HGSS into the game where you don't need to press the the "X" button so many times.

Now I really liked the design and format they used for HGSS with the touch screen and the integrated Running Shoes, I'd be happy for that to return in R/S remakes.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Just seemed very different from the way you posted that originally. By 'after the weather crisis' it seemed like you were referring to when said game's mascot was calmed down(as in just that one arises and whatever), so wasn't sure where the heck Emerald fit into your plot, but I see it now.

The way you worded the crisis was a little vague; Would have helped if you mentioned Groudon and Kyogre's battle or something along that line, haha. My apologies.

I thought that if I mentioned both team leaders being involved into having both orbs, it should be clear enough I'm talking about Emerald's Weather Crisis.

Anyway, is that plot I posted acceptable for remakes? Or maybe it should be done differently?

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    You have to remember that the remakes are going to keep the same storyline as the version they are being remade from. The are too many differences between HG/SS using Crystal's story and trying to combine all 3 different stories betweeen Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald. Suicune was a side quest for after you beat the League.

If they remake these games, I'm 99% sure they'll be a new Ruby and Sapphire and not 1 new Emerald, meaning the storylines will remain intact for the most part. Fans like for their games to remember as true to the original as possible, so mixing the stories just for the sake of doing it wouldn't thrill too many people. I loved the SoulSilver was basically the same game I use to play on my GameBoy Color. I would buy the Ruby remake, and I would want to face Groudon and Team Magma again, not Rayquaza, Kyogre or Team Aqua. (though I do like Rayquaza)

As much as it may disappoint some people, I can see the Emerald story being cut. I feel that they would want stay true Ruby and Sapphire, though they could add an additional story, like Suicune in HG/SS in which you are told about Rayquaza and you then have to go catch it. It wouldn't be the same as it was in Emerald, but the Suicune story was altered as well.

Pppgggr

Cheese, for everyone!
    Years
    If they made remakes of ruby/Saphire/Emerald, I'd be stoked. I never really thought that that may be any possibility. I just took the egg from Steven and then went to catchy Kyogre and never really thought about it.....XD. Emerald was the first GBA generation game I played, and I'd love to see a DS version of it. Note to Self: Find my DS

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    You have to remember that the remakes are going to keep the same storyline as the version they are being remade from. The are too many differences between HG/SS using Crystal's story and trying to combine all 3 different stories betweeen Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald. Suicune was a side quest for after you beat the League.

If they remake these games, I'm 99% sure they'll be a new Ruby and Sapphire and not 1 new Emerald, meaning the storylines will remain intact for the most part. Fans like for their games to remember as true to the original as possible, so mixing the stories just for the sake of doing it wouldn't thrill too many people. I loved the SoulSilver was basically the same game I use to play on my GameBoy Color. I would buy the Ruby remake, and I would want to face Groudon and Team Magma again, not Rayquaza, Kyogre or Team Aqua. (though I do like Rayquaza)

As much as it may disappoint some people, I can see the Emerald story being cut. I feel that they would want stay true Ruby and Sapphire, though they could add an additional story, like Suicune in HG/SS in which you are told about Rayquaza and you then have to go catch it. It wouldn't be the same as it was in Emerald, but the Suicune story was altered as well.

Suicune's story was a bit altered in HG/SS but actually it was almost the same like in Crystal - you meet Suicune and Eusine few times during the storyline. The only difference is encounter with Suicune after League, not before. Actually, Suicune plays bigger role in HG/SS than Lugia and Ho-oh because it appears more times than Lugia and Ho-oh. Just like in Crystal. Ho-oh or Lugia encounters were just added to keep Gold and Silver difference more visible. They don't have much impact on overall storyline, they are just alternate events.

It's more likely that in R/S remakes they'll keep Emerald's storyline, just like they kept Crystal's storyline in HG/SS. And it's also likely that after Weather Crisis cutscene with Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza, one of remakes' mascots - Kyogre or Groudon will be catchable like Lugia or Ho-oh in HG/SS, even though Rayquaza would play bigger role in storyline, just like Suicune in HG/SS.

They also should keep some standard in making R/S remakes. B/W featured full 3d cutscenes with both Zekrom and Reshiram in both versions. To keep that standard, they should remake Weather Crisis cutscene from Emerald into 3D. It means the need of keeping Emerald's storyline to remake that cutscene.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    Suicune's story was a bit altered in HG/SS but actually it was almost the same like in Crystal - you meet Suicune and Eusine few times during the storyline. The only difference is encounter with Suicune after League, not before. Actually, Suicune plays bigger role in HG/SS than Lugia and Ho-oh because it appears more times than Lugia and Ho-oh. Just like in Crystal. Ho-oh or Lugia encounters were just added to keep Gold and Silver difference more visible. They don't have much impact on overall storyline, they are just alternate events.

It's more likely that in R/S remakes they'll keep Emerald's storyline, just like they kept Crystal's storyline in HG/SS. And it's also likely that after Weather Crisis cutscene with Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza, one of remakes' mascots - Kyogre or Groudon will be catchable like Lugia or Ho-oh in HG/SS, even though Rayquaza would play bigger role in storyline, just like Suicune in HG/SS.

They also should keep some standard in making R/S remakes. B/W featured full 3d cutscenes with both Zekrom and Reshiram in both versions. To keep that standard, they should remake Weather Crisis cutscene from Emerald into 3D. It means the need of keeping Emerald's storyline to remake that cutscene.

This was what I meant. HG/SS had pretty much the same story, except they added a little more importance to Lugia and Ho-oh in them. But still, same story, and even Crystal had the basic same story, but Suicune was much more involved. But because those games all had very similar stories, Suicune's part in HG/SS didn't take away from the original games. Using Emerald's story in Ruby/Sapphire remakes would change them, and is something that Game Freak wouldn't want to do and fans wouldn't want to see it happen.

This is why I said that if they were to use Emerald's story they would be better off remaking one version based on Emerald. There's no point in remaking Ruby and Sapphire if the basic stories are going to change. There's no way to mix these stories to make sense and stay true the originals either. Scrapping the Rayquaza story sounds much better than having both games basically use the Emerald storyline.

That cutscene wasn't in Ruby or Sapphire, so Ruby and Sapphire remakes wouldn't need it. They could easily make cutscenes for Groudon and Kyogre to show their influence in the weather, just like in HG/SS where they animated the entrances of Lugia and Ho-oh and in B/W where they animated Reshiram and Zekrom.

This is another reason why I think we might possibly not get remakes at all. Some people want the games to be the same, while others want Emerald's story added (which makes no sense if these are to be RUBY and SAPPHIRE remakes). Regardless of what they do, Game Freak will receive backlash. It might be a better idea to just leave the games alone and not remake them.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    This was what I meant. HG/SS had pretty much the same story, except they added a little more importance to Lugia and Ho-oh in them. But still, same story, and even Crystal had the basic same story, but Suicune was much more involved. But because those games all had very similar stories, Suicune's part in HG/SS didn't take away from the original games. Using Emerald's story in Ruby/Sapphire remakes would change them, and is something that Game Freak wouldn't want to do and fans wouldn't want to see it happen.

This is why I said that if they were to use Emerald's story they would be better off remaking one version based on Emerald. There's no point in remaking Ruby and Sapphire if the basic stories are going to change. There's no way to mix these stories to make sense and stay true the originals either. Scrapping the Rayquaza story sounds much better than having both games basically use the Emerald storyline.

That cutscene wasn't in Ruby or Sapphire, so Ruby and Sapphire remakes wouldn't need it. They could easily make cutscenes for Groudon and Kyogre to show their influence in the weather, just like in HG/SS where they animated the entrances of Lugia and Ho-oh and in B/W where they animated Reshiram and Zekrom.

This is another reason why I think we might possibly not get remakes at all. Some people want the games to be the same, while others want Emerald's story added (which makes no sense if these are to be RUBY and SAPPHIRE remakes). Regardless of what they do, Game Freak will receive backlash. It might be a better idea to just leave the games alone and not remake them.

That point about GF being backlashed isn't a reason to not make them either then; they are still going to get some crazy people who have been waiting forever and ever with the many 'hints' to flip out.(not saying they should 100% be seen as such, but you get my point).

Just because HGSS had less differences of the originals to deal with does not mean they would be forced to make the remakes 100% like the originals as that would mean nothing new at all would happen. Mixing new and old is what gives both veterans and new players something they can have fun with, and in this case it would also include throwing in Emerald elements so as to make them feel more...complete.

What was one of the main things separating Ruby and Sapphire again? Each's main team being more 'dominant' than the opposing game's main team. Does that mean the other team did not show up in the opposing game at all? Heck no. We still saw them, except on the more innocent side of things.

Imo, this is where they can keep the main idea intact, yet also add in some Emerald to it.

They can make us face the main team noticeably more than the opposite game's team(they could get the 'lesser' plans), but we could also get caught up in a little of their schemes as well. After facing a bit of each team, we realize we aren't able to keep up with both sides, so we decide to persue the more threatening team(the version's team you picked, one with bigger schemes). Being caught up with both teams for a bit, we get a little behind the main team and in the end they are able to wake their ancient. The opposing team, no longer being chased by us, are somehow able to awaken theirs as well.

Ya di da...the battle in Sootopolis. We get Rayquaza to calm them down. Ya di da...we beat the E4. Afterwards, *fill in the blank* happens and we are able to battle the game's mascot(whichever version you pick). We go to the Battle Frontier....The end, haha.

What is the difference in the games you may ask? If you actually bothered to read, each team would play a much bigger role in the story you're following than the other depending on the version you have, with the other's actions going almost unnoticed by yourself(a la Ruby and Sapphire-ish). In the end, they are combined and Rayquaza saves the day with a 3D cutscene(Emerald-ish), except it leaves and damage has been already done to the tower, so it is unaccessible until after the E4. For whatever reason, you are also only able to catch your version's mascot.

Both teams(in the different versions) can still have the same ideas like the obvious Weather institute and stuff, but the differences in other schemes would be Magma working more with the Earth, while Aqua is more involved with Water type stuff.

How does that sound?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013

While making remakes Game Freak always tends to base them on third versions (Yellow doesn't count because it was special version in Japan, Japanese Blue was third version) because they are more technically/story-wise updated. The only reason they split third versions' remakes into two versions is to sell more games. They don't care if remakes have EXACTLY the same story like their original "namesakes".

In HG/SS Game Freak's studio president says that about making remakes:

"We are remaking an old game, but this quite a challenge.

Old fans would not want us to mess with their good memories... but there is no point in just redoing the same thing, right?

We are working towards something that brings back memories, yet is also completely new!"

If Game Freak would care about making story exactly the same like in Gold/Silver, there would NOT be Suicune's story in HG/SS. They would have thought of something like this: "Suicune was one of roaming legendaries in original G/S, we can't change that, it will ruin G/S originality of all three Legendary Dogs roaming Johto." Did they care about G/S originality? No.

It's very likely they will make R/S remakes in the same way. They will not care about Magma being evil team only in Ruby and Aqua only in Sapphire. The most what they will probably do will be giving Magma more appearances in Ruby remake and more Aqua appearances in Sapphire remake.
    The main difference should be also Groudon's or Kyogre's return to Cave of Origin to be encountered, after Rayquaza calms both Groudon and Kyogre.

Last edited:

cseip

Pokemaster
    Years
    what i think they should do to add an emerald effect to it is have both teams play and equal role in the game (just like in emerald) and you need to go through everything and awaken rayquaza to settle of the battle between groundon and kyogre but depending on the version you get rayquaza will battle with the pokemon (groundon for sapphire and kyogre for ruby) and the pokemon left standing you will battle in order to help rayquaza settle the battle and get a chance to catch the mascot pokemon. then maybe as a way of thanking you rayquaza will want to battle you (but that might come after the elite four) then after the elite four the opposite team will come back and reawaken the pokemon (groundon for sapphire kyogre for ruby) and then you will get the chance to catch the other legandary

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013

I love speculating about music for remakes, I'd love for it to be something like this (with a bit of BW mixed in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4s3qk6x4tg

(Starts at 1:51)

I'm not sure how Elite Four should sound, but Champion theme should sound like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV7TRmEFqF4

And Ever Grande City like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQLPRetC4w

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I could see the plot play out like womba said, minus the evil team, instead the mascot could just have fled to Origin cave to avoid Rayquaza but the Drought (Ruby) or the Flood (Sapphire) still happen, the antagonist team (Like Magma with red Orb against Kyogre)opposite of the legendary could give the player their orb to stop the mascot causing the disaster. Then the two teams return the orbs. Post game they could add something with the Jade orb for Rayquaza.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Am I chops liver? Haha.

Also, I saw this one remix of Littleroot that I liked. I think I posted it somewhere on this thread a while back, guess I'll check.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back