• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Sun and Moon Hopes and Speculations!

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2016
    Major Speculation Idea

So recently a lot of people have been discussing about whether the new region (and I do believe it'll be a new region due to the fact that it's a new generation) is either Hawaii or Southeast Asia. Now I know it's been "debunked" but I would like to bring to attention the Leaked list that came out 2 Days before the official announcement of Pokemon Sun and Moon and a day before the Trademarks for Sun and Moon were discovered. It was thought to be a "Generation 6.5" list due to the fact most people were expecting a Generation 6.5, however now that we know for a fact that there isn't going to be a Generation 6.5 which I find preposterous in the first place no mean to offend anybody but the only games released within the same timeline as each other are BW and BW2 and within them no new Pokemon were released, just new Pokemon forms. As such this list is compiled of 69 New Pokemon one of which being Magearna which makes perfect sense seeing as when X and Y first came out we already found out about Diancie, Hoopa and Volcanion through datamining. Not Magearna. Meaning Magearna was never intended to be part of regions we currently know of. In the list people pointed out notable species of Pokemon namely a Hummingbird Pokemon, a Dolphin Pokemon and a Pea/Coconut Crab Pokemon and used this as possible evidence to support the idea that the new region will be based off of Hawaii seeing as these 3 species are commercially used symbols by the state of Hawaii and the Hummingbird is a species of bird found mostly in The North American regions as well as the Yellow Fire Truck seen in the SM announcement is the standard color for Hawaii's Fire Departments and the fact that the Iolani Palace located in Honolulu shares a striking resemblance to the building shown in the trailer with multiple water type Pokémon banners on it. The only irrefutable evidence I have come across as to Hawaii being the region is the Vivillon traded in the trailer had the pattern only found in Hawaii and parts of Madagascar. However I want to provide multiple reasons evidences and explain why the NEW region is going to be a combination of the two. For starters although the most common color of Fire Trucks in Hawaii appear to be yellow it's not just Hawaii that has yellow Fire Trucks in fact it's just the MOST COMMON color. There are many Fire Departments that don't have Yellow Fire Trucks due to the fact that the color for the Fire Trucks of any given Fire Department in America is varied depending on the specific Fire Department. The Iolani Palace does bear a striking resemblance to the building shown in the trailer however, the Raffles Hotel in Singapore not only bears a striking resemblance to the building shown in the trailer but unlike Iolani Palace both have the same triangular pediment on the top of the building. Now the Palm Trees around both buildings in the case of Iolani Palace and the Pokemon SM building so when looking at the layout of Iolani Palace COMBINED with Raffles Hotel in Singapore looks a lot like the Building from the trailer now doesn'y it.
    So speaking about the Pokémon now. The Humming Bird although commercially used by Hawaii but there are NO Hummingbirds in Hawaii. The Hummingbird Moth is commonly found in the area but there are NO actual Hummingbirds in Hawaii unless introduced from an outside source or brought over from places that have Hummingbirds. Now as it may be there are no Hummingbirds in Southeast Asia either but there is an extremely close relative of the Hummingbird known as the SUNBIRD found in regions of Southeast Asia, Madagascar, Egypt, Yemen, Iran and northern Australia. There are also many species of Dolphins that can be found all over Southeast Asia. 13 in Hawaii and 14 found in just the Philippines. The Pea Crab is found all over the world in Oysters but the Coconut Crab considered an invasive species in Hawaii is a native species to Southeast Asia. After doing a lot more digging through the list there are other Pokémon that undoubtedly stand out. For example there are 5 Pokémon based on Bears in the Pokémon world. Spinda loosely based off of the Panda Bear, Snorlax based off of the stereotypical hibernating bear and the 3 most notable ones being Pancham and Pangoro being based off of the Giant Panda, Cubchoo and Beartic based of off the Polar Bear and Teddiursa and Ursaring based off of the Brown Bear. Now in the list of 69 Pokémon there are two pure Fire Types classified as the Morning Sun Pokemon named Nikkoguma which can be translated to 'Morning Bear Cub' and Beasahi which can be translated to 'Morning Sun Bear'. Now out of the 8 species of bears that inhabit the planet. There is the Sun Bear (SUN Bear) which is found solely in the tropical forests of Southeast Asia and this would setup a Fire type counterpart to Beartic. Another would be the Poison Lizard Poison/Ground type Pokémon Biidokage and Dezaatokage. These can be translated to 'Day Soil Shadow' and Desert Shadow'. Now although there are no Quadrupedal poisonous lizards in Hawaii there are many in Southeast Asia but the fact that the part of their name that transfers over is kage which is Japanese for shadow points towards the Hawaiian mythological figure Tipa whose "Shadow on earth was a species of lizard". Yet another Pokémon that stands out is Bakemomen, Shiitobake and Futobake. The Thread, Sheet and Bed Pokémon respectively. Bake seen as short for Bakemono meaning monster is Japanese and Momen meaning cotton in Japanese. Shiito is the phonetic way of saying sheet with bake at the end and Futo is Japanese for a Futon/Bedding. The countries in Southeast Asia are known for their exports in Textile apparel and their fabric-made products seeing as it plays a large role in their exporting economy. A Pokémon on the list that links the two regions together would be Kyojishin the Fighting/Ground Big Earthquake Pokémon whose name can be translated to Imaginary Earthquake. As these two locations are separated by "The Ring of Fire" which is a large tectonic plate where 90% of Earth's earthquakes occur thus it makes perfect sense that there'd be a Pokémon about it. I'd also like to note the 3 Pokémon that would appear to be legendary on this list other than Magearna. Aibyoushi the Quantum Pokémon, Jouhooru the Singularity Pokémon and Kanshioni the Thermodynamic Pokémon. All three of these are 3 of the basic forms of Physics which is the branch of science concerned with the nature and properties of energy and matter. In other words how one thing affects the other. It is also to be noted that As Sun and Moon are polar opposites the typing for each of these Pokémon are Normal/Ghost, Psychic/Dark and Fire/Ice respectively. Polar opposites just like the title. Even Magearna at the end of this list. Steel/Fairy. I believe this list is accurate at least to some extent, I mean it even has a Dragon-type Eevee. Those that are saying it's inaccurate believe so because there are no Starters and a lot of normally found Pokémon subtypes are missing. However, as the Kalos region introduced the smallest number of new Pokémon to date being 70 I believe these are just a preliminary 69 and can expect this many AT LEAST. On top of the 9 Starters and eventually we will each the Around 100 Pokémon per region that we used to get.
    Thoughts?

Attachments

• Pokemon Sun and Moon Hopes and Speculations!
      PokemonPotentialList.png
      40 KB · Views: 20
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Just as a random aside, Hopeful Sun and Speculative Moon sound like really good remake titles.

The only thing that really comes to mind is a Normal-type Eeveelution. I've wanted one for the longest time; even in-game, Eevee is just too weak to use. I still remember a playthrough of XD that I kept Eevee. It stayed 10 to 15 levels above the rest of my team, but it still struggled to be useful in the later stages of the game.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Something kind of interesting that I just now noticed, but it appears that the official Pokemon English site has bumped up the original Sun and Moon announcement to the top of the front page, right below the Golems event for Pokemon Bank.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    In regards to what we hope for a region:

Have a look at this thread. Back in the day it was a huge talking point. There were eventually more clues towards Shanghai, rather than NYC. Early days it all pointed to Shanghai, but then when you look at it - all those clues easily fit into NYC, or are just incidental.

This applies to the whole Hawaii vs Spain vs maybe England debate. Just because we're getting signs that it might hint to one early on, that doesn't mean it'll be the case at all. These signs can apply to another region too. Until we know more there's no guarantee either way, and we can really hope for any sort of region.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023

Unfortunately, I think you're thinking of these things the wrong way around ):. Magearna, the Sun/Moon 'mons, the Dragon Eevee are all there as guesses from the little information we have. It doesn't confirm anything, by any means.

I've seen a few different leaks recently, and they're all just way too early and reek of hoaxs. I think many artists of "new pokemon" have already been ousted.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2016
    I want to be able to change your character again and I want a new range of pokemon because I've almost collected all the pokemon as legit as possible. This includes new starter.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    random thought: What if they decide to make a region that's a mix of real world regions?

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • random thought: What if they decide to make a region that's a mix of real world regions?

I had thought about this when considering Hawaii as the new region; Hawaii has quite a diverse international population IRL. You got Americans, Japanese, French/Polynesian/Pacific Islander, and Filipino(Philippines). If they were to incorporate all past regions into this, it would actually fit. For the France/Kalos part, Hawaii was once owned by the French(French Polynesia, still owned by them, has cultural and historical ties to Hawaii).

GMeister

Poke Maniac
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2020
    Pokemon Sun and Moon Hopes and Speculations!

Found something interesting in X&Y. The counterpart of Sundial Anistar.

captainfez3

Old School Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2019
    I don't think they will do an island chain. Do you remember how much everyone P&M'd about Hoenn and all the water it had? I wouldn't mind it personally, as I think the idea of sailing/swimming/surfing to a new island is very adventurous, but I think for many it would be tedious. And you'd have to either bump up when we got surf or make the main island huge and have 5 of the gyms on it (assuming again that they keep the same kind of gym structure). I guess boats could come into play though.

I'm still very hopeful that we will see a multi-continent game, done right. Everyone freaks out about the prospect and mentions it is not possible and Game Freak would never have the time or could make it quality etc. People, we are living in 2016. I'm playing Fallout 4, which has about 1000 times the complexity of Pokemon. If they can build a miniature nuked out Boston, I have faith that this company can build a bigger and better Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    A small thing that I think'd be nice. The ability to choose a trainer class for yourself that appears when you battle online. A list of preset ones would be fine although a write-in option would be nice.

Years
  • I don't really know what to expect. But I would like to see is more difficulties. The newer games (X&Y and ORAS) were quite simple, and I'd like some replayability with the gyms becoming a bit more difficult to defeat the second time I play the game.

And a thing I really liked from X&Y were the character styling. I really liked the feature of buying clothes with my money and actually personalize my character a bit. Maybe some more clothes to add, for more choises.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2016
    There's only one thing I ask for Sun and Moon; its for us to set the difficulty once we begin the game. Or if not, they could; give Exp. Share post game or Exp. Share could be for one Pokemon only and upgradable to all Pokemon post game, no Lucky Eggs until post game, set the levels of gym leaders a little higher than usual, and set the Pokemon League to a higher difficulty. I get that they made it easier for kids during Gen 6, but heck when we were kids we even managed to get through the meanest of the bunch (I'm looking at you, Cynthia and Steven). They made kids today look dumb, and that is not true. I mean if we managed to survive the previous gens, then definitely the kids today would too.

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
  • I would like the game discs to be colored again. I took a look at my old games and I remember how much I admired my Sapphire and Crystal cartridges. Actually all of them. One glance at the back of the GB or GBA and you knew what they were playing.

Years
  • I would like the game discs to be colored again. I took a look at my old games and I remember how much I admired my Sapphire and Crystal cartridges. Actually all of them. One glance at the back of the GB or GBA and you knew what they were playing.

I find it unlikely considering this will be on 3DS and their cartridges are always grey. But I do admit I missed the old days of GBA Pokemon games having coloured cartridges.

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
  • I find it unlikely considering this will be on 3DS and their cartridges are always grey. But I do admit I missed the old days of GBA Pokemon games having coloured cartridges.

It was one of their flagship designs you know? I'm sure it's possible. We can only hope I suppose. Or go on Change.org.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    In terms of what I want? While I love the basic mechanics of the game, I feel like these would be 20 years in the making.

A realistic climate/seasonal and day/night system, all integrated together.

-Gold and Silver had day and night. Crystal started animations.
    -Ruby and Sapphire introduced weather, disparate climates like deserts and Dive. Created a water world, which was honestly awesome.
    -Diamond, Pearl and Platinum reintroduced day/night, created location-based evolution, and introduced Snow and Blizzards.
    -Black and White introduced seasons, although very limited beyond the Sawsbuck line.
    -X and Y introduced location subspecies and made Pokemon appear depending on season.

I feel that Pokemon Sun and Moon should deliver on their name and fully integrate a yearly cycle in the games by having different parts of the region have different climates.

Mainly , these ideas come from the fact that these games are based on celestial bodies that greatly control the climate. Without Sun, the earth freezes while the lack of a moon destabilizes the planet. Also , the moon factors heavily in tsunamis and earthquakes as well as the tides.

I considered at first that Italy would be the region used for Sun and Moon. Why? Sleeping Beauty.
    The original Sleeping Beauty story was created in Italy during the later Renaissance period, and the children of Aurora's prototype were called Sun and Moon. She slept for a century, bore children. She awakens and the woman who wants to marry the king wants to kill the children and serve them to the king. Well, things don't turn out that way and they are alive and they live happily forever. The legendaries could be directly tied to saving the children from the wicked stepmother, much like the Three musketeers used in Gen V.

Perhaps these versions are based both on Southern France and Italy, which would broaden the third legendary. Beauty and the Beast. The original Italian story was based on a wild boar, and perhaps, it would be also based on the older film.Thusly, this could be the third in the legendary trio. Dark/Psychic type. I wouldn't weigh out Spanish influences in the story, but this is what I feel to be possible. Perhaps maybe, Italy could be the post game like Kanto was for GSC , or Southern Kalos is.

For features I hope that ,namely:

• -Location Services detect where you're at and adjust the Pokemon availability by seasons in real time. That way, it creates a different experience wherever you're at in the world and makes catching them a little bit more challenging and less boring. Climate is not affected, however because I feel that would be too much.
    • Solar sensors for Sun Version.
    • -Real time seasons and years. This would also apply to the plot, so in between fighting the Main Bad, you strengthen your core team. Time becomes of essence, though not too much, when it is fighting the Main Bad people.
    • -Climate affects battles evenly. What's the point of Charmander risking death by rain in its Pokedex entry if it can just live in the rain? Or why water Pokemon aren't dried out by Drought?

1. Fire types are adversely affected by rain, while strengthened by the sun. The earthen types are unaffected by this. Fire/Rock/Ground/Steel types have their HP threatened by rain, while the opposite is for Water/ Grass/Electric/Dark types. Fairy type benefits from the sun, but wilts in drought.
    2. Grass types are weakened by Drought, but thrive alongside Fire types in Sunny Days. Generally, this would give them a major edge whether its in rain or in the sun
    3. The purpose of this engine is to motivate people to think wisely of what Pokemon to use at certain locations and catch local Pokemon instead of holding on their major teams to plow through a grassland or a jungle. It kind of gets lame.
    4. Dark types are powered by the night, while psychics are powered by the day. Fighting types are optimal in the afternoon. Weaker in the morning, normal in the day, and some very strong at night. All Pokemon are powered by this rock-paper-scissors system of day/night battling, Gyms are unaffected by this innovation unless it is a later gym or Elite Four.
    • Instead of having older Pokemon in the game literally unchanged, and many people have gripes with creating the exact same equivalents in every game, expand the seasonal/location varieties by having subspecies. They would be new Pokemon as well as ones connected to older generations, perhaps even regional varieties of certain starters.

1. As nature has animals in different ecological niches depending on where they are, the same should go for Pokemon. Like a Sabretoothed tiger version of Venusaur and a land-bound version of Charizard, for instance.
    2. Some Pokemon evolve depending on the lunar and solar cycle. The Solstices evolve the rarest and most powerful Pokemon, and are worth the wait, while lunar eclipses do so as well. Dark, Psychic and Fairy types are dominant to this.
    3. Other Pokemon evolve from climate differences and seasonal. It could be possible to breed those differences versus the "typical" ones. Otherwise, they would lose that and evolve into a different variation.
    4. A select few could even be hybrids, mostly by breeding, that can't be in nature unless bred with a Ditto, if they are not sterile.
    Ideally, the gyms could simulate climates and times of whatever gym , regardless of location [think a Fire gym in a snowy mountainous region like the Alps, and an Ice gym in the desert like Dubai.

1. This is where the previous climate system balances out. While it is a bit more difficult than usual battles, this would make things easier or even to provide challenges.
    2. As much as I loved Pryce in GSC, it makes a little more sense. People want what they can't have.
    3. Imagine a Dark type gym that is forever night. Think Brawley's gym, while Psychic would be morning.
    In turn, I would hope they would simplify the battle system back towards Double Battle like in Generation 3 to compensate for these revamps.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • In regards to what we hope for a region:

Have a look at this thread. Back in the day it was a huge talking point. There were eventually more clues towards Shanghai, rather than NYC. Early days it all pointed to Shanghai, but then when you look at it - all those clues easily fit into NYC, or are just incidental.

This applies to the whole Hawaii vs Spain vs maybe England debate. Just because we're getting signs that it might hint to one early on, that doesn't mean it'll be the case at all. These signs can apply to another region too. Until we know more there's no guarantee either way, and we can really hope for any sort of region.
    I remember this (though I admit my memory was fuzzy on what city it was xD). That's why I think we should be cautious. I do think that one of our guesses is right, just like it was back then.

pkmin3033

One thing I think would be pretty cool would be if the new region, wherever it is, had a Silph Co. branch. I recently ran through Silph Co. in Yellow, and one of the scientists there mentioned that they had a branc in Tiksi. It's supposed to be a multi-national corporation, and if they're going to make throwbacks to previous generations...why not? It doesn't have to play a major role in the plot or anything, it'd just be really nice to see.

Back