• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Sun/Moon Anime Speculation Thread

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    -Basing off the Gameplay we got, Ash chooses Rowlet, Hau chooses Litten, and Lillie goes with Popplio.

-For his first wild catch in the region (aside from the starter), Ash catches a flying type. But since Rowlet is grass/flying, I think he'll go with the puppy. What are your thoughts on this?
    Personally, I would love for Ash to have Popplio, but since he already has Greninja in XY/Z, I don't think the writers would give him another water starter, and Rowlet would be out of the question because, unless the writers plan on giving him multiple flying-types again, as per tradition Ash will most definitely be catching the first route flying-type, a.k.a Pikipek. So, in that case, Litten seems like then most fitting starter Pokémon for Ash; the writers could even have a small bit of his Charizard's personality where it playfully scorches him with its fireballs! I would still love for Ash to catch Iwanko, though, as well!

As for Hau, if Ash were to receive Litten, Rowlet would be more fitting since his game counterpart chooses the starter weak against yours, and I would love the idea that Hau doesn't quite understand the basics of Pokémon strengths and weaknesses.
    I heard the reason they reverted back to their comedic personality was because their serious nature wasn't received well by the Japanese audience.
    I kind of liked their serious nature, but their comical nature is more fitting; although, I personally feel like they've lost a lot of the personality they've had throughout the series pre-BW. Even if they've gone back to their silly antics, they still seem like they have a bit of their serious side left over from BW...

Honestly, I feel like Team Rocket don't really fit well as episodic antagonists anymore. I'd like to see them leave TR and just pursue their own goals while traveling together. Like, side main characters episodes could shift to so that the focus doesn't always have to be on Ash? It's unrealistic but would be kind of interesting, imo...

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    Personally, I would love for Ash to have Popplio, but since he already has Greninja in XY/Z, I don't think the writers would give him another water starter, and Rowlet would be out of the question because, unless the writers plan on giving him multiple flying-types again, as per tradition Ash will most definitely be catching the first route flying-type, a.k.a Pikipek. So, in that case, Litten seems like then most fitting starter Pokémon for Ash; the writers could even have a small bit of his Charizard's personality where it playfully scorches him with its fireballs! I would still love for Ash to catch Iwanko, though, as well!

As for Hau, if Ash were to receive Litten, Rowlet would be more fitting since his game counterpart chooses the starter weak against yours, and I would love the idea that Hau doesn't quite understand the basics of Pokémon strengths and weaknesses.

I kind of liked their serious nature, but their comical nature is more fitting; although, I personally feel like they've lost a lot of the personality they've had throughout the series pre-BW. Even if they've gone back to their silly antics, they still seem like they have a bit of their serious side left over from BW...

Honestly, I feel like Team Rocket don't really fit well as episodic antagonists anymore. I'd like to see them leave TR and just pursue their own goals while traveling together. Like, side main characters episodes could shift to so that the focus doesn't always have to be on Ash? It's unrealistic but would be kind of interesting, imo...

he wouldn't need to catch a flying type if he got Rowlet though. What I said was he probably would go with Iwanko if he went with Rowlet. I heard a theory that Rowlet would be a good choice for Ash since it's an Owl and Pikachu is a mouse and their natural enemies in the wild. I like the idea for Litten, I never thought of that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    he wouldn't need to catch a flying type if he got Rowlet though. What I said was he probably would go with Iwanko if he went with Rowlet. I heard a theory that Rowlet would be a good choice for Ash since it's an Owl and Pikachu is a mouse and their natural enemies in the wild. I like the idea for Litten, I never thought of that.

Ash already got Noctowl for that !
    Its better for Ash to catch a Litten since he haven't caught a feline pokemon yet!
    If Lille join Ash instate of the main girl from the game then Ash probably will get all 3 starter.
    Ash always catch all 3 starter when he doesn't travel with the Main girl of the game.
    Maybe , He get all 3 starter and Iwnako and gain their secret power.

Also , I wonder if Lille will be de-aged like Serena! Off course , I don't find Lillie cute yet so I hoping animator to use some trick to make her as hot and attractive as Angela Balzar (Escape from Paradise) or Miku Izayoi (Data a live).
    They all has similar hairstyle as Lille but different eye-shape.

Off Course , Writer could start with surprise Time-skip when Ash aged into a 13 year old teenager after winning the kalos league.
    And his traveling companion reveal to be ORAS May who's now a Top coordinator.
    Ash is usually Blue and May is always Red so I guess the 3rd companion would be someone Green.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2016
    I am hoping Ash takes a back seat in it. Assuming he wins in the Kalos League it would be weird to have him have rookie rivals which chances are what would happen if he did go to Alola. It would be much better if Ash was a mentor to the Alola girl and acted as her guide. Maybe she saw him during the league and got inspired to become a trainer and he gives her some tips in the ceremony battle where they show Hau off and she either wins/loses and asks Ash to travel with her to train her. Also assuming syncro evo is a thing and Ash knows about it maybe he is asked to travel around Alola by Oak to report if he finds anyone else able to do it like how Alain was with mega evos.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • We don't know if Rowlet will stay Flying type yet. I hope it does, but it can go either Flying or Grass at this point. Just because they are natural enemies in real life, doesn't mean anything in the anime, other than for a select few pokemon.

As I have said, I think it would be best to have 2 journeys going on at once. And to be fairly honest, I don't see a female being a main focused character like Ash. The boy would probably end up being the main character if replaced, but I wouldn't mind either way.

And just because he has Greninja in XY, doesn't mean he won't get another water starting type. He got All the starters in Johto and Kanto and then got Sceptile, Torterra, Infernape, Snivy, and Pignite back to back. The he also got Oshawott and Greninja back to back. So just because he gets 1 starters of 1 type, doesn't stop him from getting another starter of the same type.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    We don't know if Rowlet will stay Flying type yet. I hope it does, but it can go either Flying or Grass at this point. Just because they are natural enemies in real life, doesn't mean anything in the anime, other than for a select few pokemon.

As I have said, I think it would be best to have 2 journeys going on at once. And to be fairly honest, I don't see a female being a main focused character like Ash. The boy would probably end up being the main character if replaced, but I wouldn't mind either way.

And just because he has Greninja in XY, doesn't mean he won't get another water starting type. He got All the starters in Johto and Kanto and then got Sceptile, Torterra, Infernape, Snivy, and Pignite back to back. The he also got Oshawott and Greninja back to back. So just because he gets 1 starters of 1 type, doesn't stop him from getting another starter of the same type.

Technically, he only got Oshawott as a result of getting all three starter Pokémon. Also, it's unlikely they'll try to retread Greninja's arc, especially when they already made Ash's team unbalanced in XY as it is. Now, that's not to say he will necessarily get Rowlet. He'll probably do yet another change and stick with a Fire Type starter like Litten for all we know.

StormChatot

Your Local Parrot Guy
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2016
    What I want to happen in this anime:

1) ASH KEEPS GRENINJA. Even if he does a full reset like normal, it would be such a waste to basically throw away the pokemon he sort of invented a Mega evolution for. Also, since it's been speculated that Alola will be a much tougher region than the others, so Greninja's OP-ness may be necessary for Ash to actually win any battles. And it won't make Ash too OP.

2) ONE OF THE PREVIOUS CHARACTERS RETURNS. It's been a while since we saw Brock, Misty, and May (the three most well-known of Ash's companions) and even if one of them just makes a short cameo, I really want to see one of them again.

3) TEAM ROCKET GETS THEIR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT. They've been chasing Pikachu for years to no avail. If they have any brains at all, they'll finally give up on Pikachu and start going for something else. If this happens, they might actually end up being better villains- they could try and capture Solgaleo or Lunala, and be a rival to the region's main villain team. We've already kind of seen this in XYZ, with Jessie and James battling Team Flare over Squishy. And this brings me to another point- I want a Jessie and James cameo in the games. They've only ever appeared in the anime, so it would be funny if they appeared randomly and tried to steal your pokemon, and you get to battle them (a pretty easy fight) and send them "blasting off" like what always happens.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2016
    What I want to happen in this anime:

1) ASH KEEPS GRENINJA. Even if he does a full reset like normal, it would be such a waste to basically throw away the pokemon he sort of invented a Mega evolution for. Also, since it's been speculated that Alola will be a much tougher region than the others, so Greninja's OP-ness may be necessary for Ash to actually win any battles. And it won't make Ash too OP.

2) ONE OF THE PREVIOUS CHARACTERS RETURNS. It's been a while since we saw Brock, Misty, and May (the three most well-known of Ash's companions) and even if one of them just makes a short cameo, I really want to see one of them again.

3) TEAM ROCKET GETS THEIR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT. They've been chasing Pikachu for years to no avail. If they have any brains at all, they'll finally give up on Pikachu and start going for something else. If this happens, they might actually end up being better villains- they could try and capture Solgaleo or Lunala, and be a rival to the region's main villain team. We've already kind of seen this in XYZ, with Jessie and James battling Team Flare over Squishy. And this brings me to another point- I want a Jessie and James cameo in the games. They've only ever appeared in the anime, so it would be funny if they appeared randomly and tried to steal your pokemon, and you get to battle them (a pretty easy fight) and send them "blasting off" like what always happens.

Funny thing is Pikachu is not even his strongest anymore. Sceptile,Charizard,Greninja and Infernape seem to be a lot more powerful XD

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I am hoping Ash takes a back seat in it. Assuming he wins in the Kalos League it would be weird to have him have rookie rivals which chances are what would happen if he did go to Alola. It would be much better if Ash was a mentor to the Alola girl and acted as her guide. Maybe she saw him during the league and got inspired to become a trainer and he gives her some tips in the ceremony battle where they show Hau off and she either wins/loses and asks Ash to travel with her to train her. Also assuming syncro evo is a thing and Ash knows about it maybe he is asked to travel around Alola by Oak to report if he finds anyone else able to do it like how Alain was with mega evos.

Or Pokemon SM can be Digimon style mufti-protagonist anime that focus on Ash , May , Alola protagonist , Ethen , Rosa , Hilbert , Lucus and other Game protagonist to join together to fight against an evil force.

No more Gym , No more League ! Those are already overused.
    Pokemon SM will be purely about the bonds between these character and their role in saving the world.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Or Pokemon SM can be Digimon style mufti-protagonist anime that focus on Ash , May , Alola protagonist , Ethen , Rosa , Hilbert , Lucus and other Game protagonist to join together to fight against an evil force.

Pokemon SM will be purely about the bonds between these character and their role in saving the world.

Don't forget Misty, Iris, Dent, Tracey, Max, and, as much as I really don't wish him back, even Brock.

While it isn't likely to happen (since the anime is first and foremost an advertisement for the games, which means, yes, they're probably going to do gyms and leagues again if it means advertising the games, maybe even treat this league victory like they did with the Orange League or Battle Frontier), I would like that, since it would more than make up for the writer's hypocritical insistence of dumping protagonists once they no longer served any use and then utilize a new one for the new region. Seriously, the entire POINT of the show's theme is unbreakable bonds, and callously dumping your protagonists just to ensure they have fresh meat for promoting the new games, not to mention level resets, is NOT the way to promote that kind of theme.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2016

This guy/girl gets it. I have wanted this for so long. This would also destroy the mindset of the guy never doing anything since it would not be a competition but allow everyone to help. I mean I feel in Digimon the group do the work and it is not just one or two people. Even in Digimon season 4 and 6 while it might have seemed it ran out Takuya,Koji and Mikey the others did help. This would work really well with Pokemon and due to how plot focused S&M is said to be I hope they do this now to carry off into future gens.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I highly doubt they will bring Ash back if it is set up like that. And I really don't want them to jump back and forth between regions. It is just too much to follow. It needs to be all set in Alola. And I wasn't a fan at all of the original Digimon series. And I think it is just too close to have them do something similar the Digimon when we already have Mega Evolution, which honestly is more like DBZ. If they want to do that, then it needs to be like the Pokemon Manga not Digimon.

With the episode with Serena's talking about training, I don't see her going to Alola, unless they make her training in Alola.

I really want Lillie to be Ash's companion. I don't see why they can't make 4 main characters around the same age. 2 girls and 2 guys.

Years
  • I really want Lillie to be Ash's companion. I don't see why they can't make 4 main characters around the same age. 2 girls and 2 guys.

Lillie apparently won't be a trainer at all, and since the anime doesn't really change the personality of in-game characters I doubt she'll even be in contention for Ash's new female companion.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Lillie apparently won't be a trainer at all, and since the anime doesn't really change the personality of in-game characters I doubt she'll even be in contention for Ash's new female companion.

I don't think it has to be required for her to be a trainer. Lillie is joining the main character in the games, even though she isn't. And she did have a pokemon in her bag in one trailer. So it could be used as a pet and even though she doesn't want to. she can still battle. It would be great character dev for the anime. Max was in the anime and he wasn't a trainer and he hardly battled, though he did bond with a lot of pokemon. Bonnie could be mentioned as well, but she did battle a good amount of times. Todd was also not a trainer, but he was still in the group for a few episodes. Tracey was a researcher and artist and he was in the group. Todd never battled, but Tracey, did but very little.

And if they have a 2 female and 2 male, traveling group, which is unlikely, she can still join with no problem.

You don't have to be a trainer to go on a journey.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I don't think it has to be required for her to be a trainer. Lillie is joining the main character in the games, even though she isn't. And she did have a pokemon in her bag in one trailer. So it could be used as a pet and even though she doesn't want to. she can still battle. It would be great character dev for the anime. Max was in the anime and he wasn't a trainer and he hardly battled, though he did bond with a lot of pokemon. Bonnie could be mentioned as well, but she did battle a good amount of times. Todd was also not a trainer, but he was still in the group for a few episodes. Tracey was a researcher and artist and he was in the group. Todd never battled, but Tracey, did but very little.

And if they have a 2 female and 2 male, traveling group, which is unlikely, she can still join with no problem.

You don't have to be a trainer to go on a journey.

1. Max was largely hated for that exact reason, and I really doubt the writers are willing to repeat that mistake, and while Bonnie is somewhat well-received compared to Max, I heard she isn't all that popular either.

2. Todd was only present for three episodes, not the same as actually spending a full region with the group (or even the latter half of the group).

3. Tracey got the boot because he largely proved to be unpopular especially as a replacement for Brock. That, and the only reason Tracey replaced Brock is because the writers feared in the wake of the infamous Jynx controversy by Weatherford that Brock would be ill-received in the west due to his slanted eyes resembling an offensive stereotype (bit ironic, considering the writers themselves ARE Japanese), and they only discovered right when the Orange Islands began around the time Brock's debut episode aired in America that Brock was in fact very well received as a character. Also, Tracey was NOT a researcher when he joined up with Ash and Misty. Instead, he was more like an artist. That being said, he had the aspiration to meet Professor Oak and work for him.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2016
    I heard the reason they reverted back to their comedic personality was because their serious nature wasn't received well by the Japanese audience.
    Yeah probably but still I found their serious nature better. But everyone has their own tastes.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Lets talk about New pokemon on cast.
    Mimikyu definitely joining the main cast due to its connection with Pikachu and immense popularity.
    Now we all know that Ash need both funny , strong and cute pokemon.
    In fact , The lack of funny and cute pokemon might be the main reason for rating dropping.
    But Ash also deserve strong pokemon instate of bunch of baby size mascot.
    That's Why Bewear is Perfect pokemon because its strong , Cute and has potencial to be gag pokemon like Snorlax.
    Imagine Ash catching a oblivious Bewear that often strangle him and his friend though hugging , destroy public property unintentionally and send people flying .

If Litten evolves into a bipedal pokemon then Ash should catch a Mudsdale.
    He will finally have his own horse pokemon to ride with ! The Highest hated pokemon episode involve Ash riding a horse.
    There is 60% chance of Ash catch Rowlet since he didn't caught a grass type pokemon in Kalos ! I guess I can accept Salandit if its evolve into an Dragon-like Fire/Poison pokemon.

Lillie apparently won't be a trainer at all, and since the anime doesn't really change the personality of in-game characters I doubt she'll even be in contention for Ash's new female companion.

Actually , Lillie hates Pokemon battle but that doesn't mean she will not be a trainer.
    Currently she has the most chance of joining since she is the opposite of Ash and already has a mysterious role in Sun & Moon game.
    If only she was cute as Viola or Skyla or May.
    I guess , The Anime can make slight change and turn Lillie into a nagger who often nag like Misty , Nami (One Piece) or Bulma (DragonBall)

Last edited:
    Years
  • QWtd8dO.png

Turns out this girl from the Alola starters' final evolutions concept art is Mallow - one of the four Island Captains (presumably the replacement for Gym Leaders) revealed in today's Sun & Moon news trailer.

If she ends up being Ash's new female companion in Alola, it might be safe to assume Ash catches all three starters as well since every saga where Ash didn't have a game's female protagonist as his companion he caught all the starters of that region, as shown so far with Kanto, Johto and Unova.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Still don't know if it is all 3. Maybe two. One of them could still be her's or even the 2nd companion.

After looking at the leaks and actually looking at them, I am starting to like them. Especially if the water types ends up being part fairy, but it may still be too soon to confirm this.

I think after August, it will be safe to make a new thread for Captures in Sun and Moon anime. By then we should have some info on the new anime.

I do really wonder how they plan to handle this new style of gym in pokemon anime. I am really looking forward to what the writers do. But it seems to confirm that Ash wins the league and now is just going around becoming the best there ever was. Even if he doesn't challenge the E4 right away.

I really love Mallows art style. They did a heck of a job with the female art styles this time around. Right now I don't mind who becomes his female companion.

Would also like to point out that Mallow is the Grass Type Trainer, so she could easily have Rowlet.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    QWtd8dO.png

Turns out this girl from the Alola starters' final evolutions concept art is Mallow - one of the four Island Captains (presumably the replacement for Gym Leaders) revealed in today's Sun & Moon news trailer.

If she ends up being Ash's new female companion in Alola, it might be safe to assume Ash catches all three starters as well since every saga where Ash didn't have a game's female protagonist as his companion he caught all the starters of that region, as shown so far with Kanto, Johto and Unova.

We'll still need more information regarding Mallow's presence with Ash before we can assume she'll be a companion, though. For all we know, this may be concept art for when they first meet and she doesn't actually join as a companion. I know that Kanto, Johto, and Unova had two Gym Leaders joining up, and Kalos having one regional Gym Leader joining up, but here's the thing, that's just Gym Leaders, which have sets of eight (and technically sixteen if we take into account Unova having both BW and B2W2 Gym Leaders). The Island Captains are going to be 4, which would make things a bit unbalanced if even one joined up, let alone 2, especially if they are confirmed to be replacing the Gym Leaders (the region will have other possible challengers be short-changed if Mallow and another Island Captain are traveling with Ash, especially when we don't even know if there's even going to be more than four island captains). And besides, if Mallow will be the female companion of the region (heck, two of the four Captains joining Ash at all, for that matter), then why were they releasing those G.E.M. series Misty figurines recently and planning to release those Brock figurines from the same series despite it not even being the 20th anniversary of the Anime yet (they generally don't release new figurines for old characters)?

Back